Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Well, they might not want the Bionis to get up and move around more, but they also probably don't want it to fall onto its face. The whole interior section just really smacks of "well, it would be a shame to have established that the main world is on a living organic being and then not have be able to play in a bizarre organic space". It does seem arbitrary to go to the interior then teleport out of the heart.

There really isn't much of a reason for everyone to go after Lorithea except for revenge for Kallian. If Lorithea didn't taunt Melia or if Dickson didn't show up after that fight, I have no idea if they really had any plan on where else to go or what to do. Zanza is a God who can exist wherever he wants and doesn't really have a "lair". They know that the Bionis isn't their enemy and it never was, so why would they want to do anything with it's heart? They view Zanza as a parasite that feeds off the lives and life-blood of the Bionis, but they may have some doubts because "he's a God".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mastersord posted:

There really isn't much of a reason for everyone to go after Lorithea except for revenge for Kallian. If Lorithea didn't taunt Melia or if Dickson didn't show up after that fight, I have no idea if they really had any plan on where else to go or what to do. Zanza is a God who can exist wherever he wants and doesn't really have a "lair". They know that the Bionis isn't their enemy and it never was, so why would they want to do anything with it's heart? They view Zanza as a parasite that feeds off the lives and life-blood of the Bionis, but they may have some doubts because "he's a God".

Well hes definitely not omnipotent (not yet at least), otherwise the game'd be over.
And I think its been mentioned already that Prison Island is the equivalent of the tower in Agniratha, in that its the center of the bionis's system, and presumably where all that ether will go to feed Zanza.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Prowler posted:

A little bit of Final Fantasy XIII in your Xenoblade, if you will.

But enough about the Xenoblade 2 antagonists

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Prowler posted:

Edit: As I think about it, remembering that there was the Bionis' Shoulder that cut from the original game probably pushes the endgame into "rushed" territory, where they had the set-pieces ready but not the story. A little bit of Final Fantasy XIII in your Xenoblade, if you will.

The Bionis Shoulder shows up in the base game in some limited capacity. It's the place where Arglas finds the Monado and is possessed by Zanza. Before Future Connected it was the one area of the game that shows up in cutscenes that wasn't also accessible during gameplay. But we're still a ways off from that being even remotely relevant, however.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Prowler posted:

Edit: As I think about it, remembering that there was the Bionis' Shoulder that cut from the original game probably pushes the endgame into "rushed" territory, where they had the set-pieces ready but not the story. A little bit of Final Fantasy XIII in your Xenoblade, if you will.

Going off some interviews monolith did about definitive edition, I’m not sure the Shoulder was actually intended to be an explorable area in game? The official word from Takahashi, if I remember right, was that the Shoulder was a test map they used to get a feel for jumping and falling.

Source from the Xenoblade Wikia.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 12, 2021

Prowler
May 24, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Going off some interviews monolith did about definitive edition, I’m not sure the Shoulder was actually intended to be an explorable area in game? The official word from Takahashi, if I remember right, was that the Shoulder was a test map they used to get a feel for jumping and falling.

Source from the Xenoblade Wikia.

Got it. So much for that theory!

Perhaps the better way to describe the endgame after the destruction of the Mechonis is that it feels "disconnected." The entire game is a journey through the the world, and both the environment and the story itself detail how everything is connected. Your party organically explores the world as they make their way to the Mechonis.

But after the Mechonis is active and after it is destroyed, there is no walking from point A to B to C. It's, "Talk to me and we'll fly Junks to the next dungeon." And then, "Okay, you have beat the boss of this dungeon, walk here to teleport to the next dungeon and fight the next boss." It doesn't have the same...connective tissue, if you will.

What would have been interesting (were it done well) would have been getting "grounded" in Colony 9 first. Then Dicks taunts them about Prison Island, and the party has to make their way back through the now-active Bionis. Maybe the path you used through Tephra Cave is now blocked and you have to use the new areas to get to the knee. Surprise! Looks like the Bionis has to breathe, and when they make their way through the interior, the party gets sucked into a different lung and have to find a way out, which leads them to the heart. You could also contrive a reason to have to revisit Alcamoth post-disaster (maybe to open a different way to Prison Island, like whatever backdoor the Emperor used).

This would allow for a number of things: Shulk, Reyn, Fiora, and Dunban can have story cutscenes in Colony 9; you could potentially move the boss fight from the interior to Alcamoth, which is more thematically appropriate; and, it would help with the level scaling.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 11, 2021

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm almost done catching up to the LP, but I wanted to mention that the uncut playlist on your channel is missing video #66!

Also :staredog: this weird game has gone some places. drat.

I'm a little late to this but thanks for letting me know, as it turns out, I misclicked and Monadon'ts Uncut ended up in the YK2 Uncut playlist. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm a little late to this but thanks for letting me know, as it turns out, I misclicked and Monadon'ts Uncut ended up in the YK2 Uncut playlist. :v:

Are you saying that Kiryu doesn’t also pull out a lightsaber and kills God with it at some point in the Yakuza series?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Are you saying that Kiryu doesn’t also pull out a lightsaber and kills God with it at some point in the Yakuza series?

That should just go without saying! Kiryu doesn't kill. :colbert:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ChaosArgate posted:

That should just go without saying! Kiryu doesn't kill. :colbert:

Now, ripping his shirt off and going all laser knuckles on God (non-lethally), that's a quintessential Yakuza endgame setpiece.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
This may be a dumb question, but did we ever bring up the mechanic of skill canceling? When you activate a skill right after a hit from either another skill, or your standard auto-strike, you get that dark blue aura ring. I think it either does more damage and/or builds up your combo meter faster so you can do a chain attack. I bring this up because I never learned this mechanic properly until XC2 and I almost gave up on the last boss of this game until I learned how this mechanic worked and it made a major difference in the fight.

I dug out my old 3DS save and I finished the game at level 80. I thought I was near 99 but I was wrong.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Now I want a Majima/Reyn tag team, and my heart knows it'll never happen. :negative:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

mastersord posted:

This may be a dumb question, but did we ever bring up the mechanic of skill canceling? When you activate a skill right after a hit from either another skill, or your standard auto-strike, you get that dark blue aura ring. I think it either does more damage and/or builds up your combo meter faster so you can do a chain attack. I bring this up because I never learned this mechanic properly until XC2 and I almost gave up on the last boss of this game until I learned how this mechanic worked and it made a major difference in the fight.

I dug out my old 3DS save and I finished the game at level 80. I thought I was near 99 but I was wrong.

I think I know what you're talking about but I don't remember that system being a thing until 2 and I don't think they back-ported it to DE?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Welcome to ChaosArgate's LP of Star Citizen.

This has been ChaosArgate's LP of Star Citizen.

Dickson's sending mixed messages because he's technically contractually obligated to fight Shulk and co., but he doesn't really want to, so he's gonna throw a bunch of busywork their way to delay the inevitable/hope they get bored and go home.

Moral of the story is Zanza is a lovely boss.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
I can confirm, Skill Cancelling is strictly a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and its DLC only mechanic. It is not in Xenoblade Chronicles 1.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Chaosbrain posted:

I can confirm, Skill Cancelling is strictly a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and its DLC only mechanic. It is not in Xenoblade Chronicles 1.

I coulda swore it was in 1. Maybe I just got lucky in that fight. Sorry.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mine spike attacks are just spiteful. Topple spikes especially so. And they were even worse before the DE! In the DE you at least get that visual indicator on an enemy's name plate that tells you a spike is active. The original didn't even have that. It was like "Hey why am I dying so fast? Oh this enemy has a spike attack I guess."

Seriously. Such bullshit.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Master Obart lost his level-up aura because you dazed him the moment he used it.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

My friend is playing through this game (and streaming it). I know everyone should play the game however they want, but...

...she skipped buying the anti-mechon weapons from Dickson. And when I mentioned how much easier it would be if she went back and bought them--she refused and stubbornly bashed her head against each wall of mechon.

To her credit, she did make it to the Fallen Arm, thanks to Riki finishing off an opponent with his DOT as Shulk lie dead and Dunban and he otherwise did 1 damage nonstop.

----

I forgot that prison island sinks into the Bionis. Did I miss the reason why?

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Prowler posted:

I forgot that prison island sinks into the Bionis. Did I miss the reason why?

Zanza teleported back to Prison Island after he killed Meyneth, and made it fall into the water under it. (ereth sea?) Since that location was on the Bionis head, PI probably ended up inside the head. I guess PI must serve as the brain for Zanza and the Bionis, the same way that the Mechonis core was for Meyneth and the Mechonis.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Melia still best girl. When a villain starts monologuing she simply shoots them.

That moment when Fiora start shining Meyneth red, Shulk goes Monado blue and they power walk towards Dickson :discourse:

From some pages ago:

nine-gear crow posted:

We just recorded something about an hour ago that has fundamentally reshaped our collective understanding about this game and the story it is trying to tell :stare:

So, was it the landmarks and connected issues? I bet it was those.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

My only regret is not being able to see the future so I could refer to this update by it’s proper title in the commentary rather than obliquely refer to its original title for the sake of a bad joke.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The game really made him say "screw this im going home"

Rip Dickson
You were a dick, but you were our dick.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So if Shulk lost the Monado, where did he get another laser sword from

Dickson's send-off was kinda lame

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I like how Dickson tried to do the "you can't fire me, I quit" thing re: dying in front of the party, but still died in their presence. Giant glowing chest wounds kill you quick, it turns out.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Niqol and Vanea made a store-brand Monado for Shulk to use. And then like five others because why not. Supposedly they don't have the prognostication powers of the original, but it looks like Shulk stole some of Zanza's mojo while the latter was (supposedly) piloting him like a mech.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The walking sounds makes me thing they all have hooves, or they're clapping coconut shells together.

They were SO CLOSE at making a Metal Wolf Chaos reference with going "Believe in your own justice". Disappointing. :mad:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 20, 2021

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Monado was in his heart all along.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The real monado was the friends he made along the way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hippocrass posted:

I mean in a way you're not wrong since the cutscene was very much a team effort to the point I was expecting Shulk or someone else to make a mention of it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

After finally deciding / admitting to myself I'm never going to play this game, I've binged the LP over the past couple weeks and I kinda figured it'd be done by now and its not and the wait is kinda painful since everything I've seen was available one after another until now.

Anyways, I don't really have anything to say, I just want Chaos (and the co-commentators) to know I appreciate what they're doing here. My passion for lengthy JRPGs has waned with age, but my interest hasn't, so the vicarious experience is nice, especially with a game as drawn out as this one appears to be.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Credits roll on the next video :ssh:

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Does he ever fight/show off the superbosses?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Weeble posted:

Does he ever fight/show off the superbosses?

I had a fight with one of the superbosses but the footage ended up unusable because I kept getting interrupted to go do other things and I just didn’t wanna try again, so its not suuuuper likely I’m gonna be doing any of them for this LP.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
That's understandable.

Aside from the weakest of them they all require a good bit of prep anyway. Prep that would be annoying to do if you hadn't already been doing it in the background.

Freakin' Night Vision.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hippocrass posted:

One of them, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

After finally deciding / admitting to myself I'm never going to play this game, I've binged the LP over the past couple weeks and I kinda figured it'd be done by now and its not and the wait is kinda painful since everything I've seen was available one after another until now.

Anyways, I don't really have anything to say, I just want Chaos (and the co-commentators) to know I appreciate what they're doing here. My passion for lengthy JRPGs has waned with age, but my interest hasn't, so the vicarious experience is nice, especially with a game as drawn out as this one appears to be.

I have more fun doing this than I honestly thought I was going to have when we started recording, and I'm really happy to see we're finally at the end* of the affair. After so many failed attempts, it's nice to see that someone on SA has finally got a complete LP of Xenoblade in the can.