Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Wow! I am so glad it’s coming back. I almost wish SIU would have just taken a whole year off because the way talked about this break seemed like he was way too burned out.

I really hope he’s found his way back to a positive mindset. I honestly think he got overwhelmed by the airing of the anime and the assorted stressors that go along with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
i have mixed feelings because i like tog but i don't like nice Korean people working themselves to death

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The hiatus just got extended because SIU has developed wrist pain and is getting a more thorough examination before waiting for the pain to go away. Which is good considering his body seems to be mostly failing everywhere else

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Yeah, turns out years of killing yourself to get your life's work popular and on a constant weekly schedule is rough. It always amazed me how he could put out so many panels on a weekly basis, colored no less. Seeing the effects of that today.

I said it earlier that he was never going to really let ToG die because he loves it so much and wants to share it but it does suck that his body's failing and he's having mental health problems from the difficulty of doing so much work for so long. I really hoped he'd just take as much time as he needed but here he is, forcing himself again.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

SIU updated his blog recently to say that, after making a 10 chapter backlog for the return he said he was doing in November, his arm started hurting again. After getting a third opinion he's been told that continuing like he is right now would possibly cause permanent daily pain if he doesn't cool off for awhile. So ToG is going back on hiatus for another half year. See you all in July.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Poor guy. He must feel like he's between a rock (Rak) and a hard place. I hope he takes the time he needs to recover and maybe chooses a more sustainable pace for the foreseeable future afterwards; no matter how much he loves his art, it isn't worth his health.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think people really need to tell him that they are perfectly okay with waiting however long it takes, and if he just straight up doesn't or can't come back it's a shame but it's also necessary. He shouldn't feel so pressured to keep going with his comic to the point it can permanently impact his health. Unfortunately, the thing is, we've known about the draconic artistic practices in manga/manhwa for years and years and nothing has changed that I'm aware of. Artists are still pushed to exhaustion and physical deterioration and I don't think it'll change any time soon because I'm not aware of any serious effort in the east to change it. From my perspective and probably most people's perspective he should take as much time off as he needs, to the point he should just stop giving timelines as to when/if he'll be back, but I don't know if Naver is pressuring him to work or not or his situation.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

It'd be hard to get away from it permanently because it's also his livelihood. It's gotten popular enough and he's likely made enough that he can take this break and get the medical treatment he needs but ToG hasn't been big enough long enough to support him for the rest of his life yet or anything. Unless I'm vastly undervaluing Webtoons cash. We are likely to see him come back regardless because of that.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The anime did well and there will be more seasons of that.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

No clue on the fiduciary details of that for SIU. I suppose it's possible he made bank if there's some merch involved and he still has the rights. I never assume just the anime is enough though since the profit margins in that industry are horrifying.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 18, 2020

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Looking at the art style of early chapters vs latest chapters, I kinda wish he'd just hire people to do the art for him so he can focus on the story.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
No tower of god in forever!

Kubera has had like 10+ issues since though if anyone followed that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

No tower of god in forever!

Kubera has had like 10+ issues since though if anyone followed that.

Kubera is my incredibly tightly plotted backup Korean webtoon.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Wait are new chapters of Kubera still coming out??? I thought it ended years ago.

I also recall hearing that ToG will be back around June, but I just want SIU to be healthy

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Wait, isn't Kubera the one with that green haired teen and the one armed mass murderer? Hadn't that thing ended?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's still going, it's up to approx chapter 463 now (at least free on webtoon in english anyway). there was a brief break a few years back for a 7 year timeskip between seasons 2 and 3 so maybe that's what you're thinking of?

it's still very good and certainly more interesting than ToG overall, the only problem is the plot is so elaborate and complex at this point it's pretty hard to keep track of the millions of plot threads and call-backs

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Thanks, think I'll pick it up again. I remember the whole plot was extremely interesting (gave me a gods vs titans mythology vibe, with no clear cut villains etc)

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Has anyone heard anything new about SIU/ Tower of God? We're a few months away from a one-year hiatus.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Whitest Russian posted:

Has anyone heard anything new about SIU/ Tower of God? We're a few months away from a one-year hiatus.

He was planning on coming back this past November. But November rolled around and the hiatus didn't end, and in December he said he was going to have to extend the hiatus another six months or so. There is no set date return but June is the month we'd be looking at.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Two Tone Shoes posted:

He was planning on coming back this past November. But November rolled around and the hiatus didn't end, and in December he said he was going to have to extend the hiatus another six months or so. There is no set date return but June is the month we'd be looking at.

I hope he gets his problems under control. It was a bad form of arthritis with something else, right?

I've got something going on in my forearms and after 5 minutes it starts hurting to write. Drawing all of those scenes would be almost torturous.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Whitest Russian posted:

I hope he gets his problems under control. It was a bad form of arthritis with something else, right?

I've got something going on in my forearms and after 5 minutes it starts hurting to write. Drawing all of those scenes would be almost torturous.

I basically lost the ability to manually write at some point in my adult life. Unless I go extremely slowly (like 1-2 letters per second), my writing devolves into something completely unreadable after like 5 letters.

As a result, only the first two letters of my signature are somewhat readable, and the rest is just a squiggly line (but instead of looking like a doctor's signature or something it just looks like a 3 year old scribbled on the paper)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
his wrist is hosed up but i think he hosed his neck or shoulder up and didn't let that recover long enough leading to damage in whichever one he didn't injure first which is what made him extend the break. Ideally he's been working at a much reduced rate and using assistants way more so that he can release stuff longer term without having the harsh schedule to keep it up weekly

the person who has been translating the blog posts on reddit has nuked their online presence too as a result of being a bit of an idiot when a webtoon creator personally asked them to stop translating. This does make viral hit funnier though imo

https://www.reddit.com/r/TowerofGod...web2x&context=3

this bit explains webtoons having really dodgy translations

quote:

Due to Line Webtoon's practice of using Freelance translators for most of their webtoon translations, the quality of the translations have not been the best. The most striking issue I had with Tower of God's translations in particular is the use of the word Squadron and the Essence of Bravery, which were both incorrect due to multiple reasons. I believe I made myself clear in the past, but in short, the correct terms would be Army Corps or Field Corps, and Essence of Nothingness.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

The arrogance of that person lmao. Asked to stop pirating poo poo and tried to extend a counter offer

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't really see it that way though? Like, while I do think the idea of a counter offer was wrong and the wrong way to go about it, he's not wrong about his other points. Both the delay and the quality of the translations should not be acceptable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lil baby anime posted:

The arrogance of that person lmao. Asked to stop pirating poo poo and tried to extend a counter offer

isn't that how crunchyroll started

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/webtoonofficial/status/1388629304603398148

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Earlier than I thought. good!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It's been roughly a year, I think. If he actually followed through on his recovery and didn't continue to overexert, he might be in a good spot now. But this is manhwa, so...

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
What are the chances that he has hired enough people to handle the drawings so that he can focus on the story and not over-exert himself.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Whitest Russian posted:

What are the chances that he has hired enough people to handle the drawings so that he can focus on the story and not over-exert himself.

Not very good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/ToGManhwa/status/1392847620754874375

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

For anyone wondering, there's 5 chapters up on Naver (the actual Korean site it's on). I believe they all got dropped at once and there's 4 more behind the Naver paywall. Which likely means we'll be getting at least one chapter next week. Not sure if they'll roll them out behind the paywall in spite of a few of them dropping publicly. My guess is sometime next week we'll get 1 or 2 episodes "free" then 3 behind the Webtoon paywall to bring back that usual "3 paywall episode up at a time" situation.

The bad news is he isn't still fully recovered. I assume he's been more slowly and safely working on these chapters during the hiatus to give us something at a work rate that would still allow recovery (and likely some of these chapters were already done before the Hiatus started for this exact purpose).

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I hope SIU paces himself, or hands off some work to others, because I'm not sure I can take another extended hiatus.

But mainly because nobody should sacrifice their health for art. Obviously.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Two Tone Shoes posted:

For anyone wondering, there's 5 chapters up on Naver (the actual Korean site it's on). I believe they all got dropped at once and there's 4 more behind the Naver paywall. Which likely means we'll be getting at least one chapter next week. Not sure if they'll roll them out behind the paywall in spite of a few of them dropping publicly. My guess is sometime next week we'll get 1 or 2 episodes "free" then 3 behind the Webtoon paywall to bring back that usual "3 paywall episode up at a time" situation.

The bad news is he isn't still fully recovered. I assume he's been more slowly and safely working on these chapters during the hiatus to give us something at a work rate that would still allow recovery (and likely some of these chapters were already done before the Hiatus started for this exact purpose).

Is there any estimate on when chapters will be released to English readers?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Line and Webtoon has said nothing but "Summer." Which some are guessing is in June sometime. No actual clue.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
https://www.instagram.com/p/CPETFmThTYR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Looks like it'll be May 30th.

I'm surprised no one has posted the bootleg translations on Reddit yet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The first new chapter is out in english.

After all the excitement of the first part of the battle I'm not wild about it turning into a game, but I can see it's much easier to make the non-high-rankers actually matter this way.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 31, 2021

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Sindai posted:

The first new chapter is out in english.

After all the excitement of the first part of the battle I'm not wild about it turning into a game, but I can see it's much easier to make the non-high-rankers actually matter this way.

Games are, like, integral to the Tower so I'm all for it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Games are, like, integral to the Tower so I'm all for it.

Wouldn't be ToG without some sort of weird rear end game to gently caress people over with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Games are also a very good way to keep it from being just Power Levels so I'm fine with it