Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Fuschia tude posted:

Barkley dev or just a shitposter.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
I mean he basically lied through his teeth and posted "games coming along! epic basketball gangnam style bionicle" for the last 8 years and then acted sad about it exactly once so you all forgave him.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I love him.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ryaomon posted:

I mean he basically lied through his teeth and posted "games coming along! epic basketball gangnam style bionicle" for the last 8 years and then acted sad about it exactly once so you all forgave him.

Yes, perfect thread synopsis.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

gort did you work on dingletopia

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ryaomon posted:

I don't bear any ill will towards any Barkley 2 dev

But it's a sin they will have to live with for the rest of their lives

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ryaomon posted:

And now we know who's been stewing for the past 8 years

Lots of revelations in this, the bargle 2 thread

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Just read the OP and this sounds pretty incredible, bummed that I appear to have missed out on the backer rewards but looking forward to playing this

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Communist Thoughts posted:

I don't bear any ill will towards any Barkley 2 dev

But it's a sin they will have to live with for the rest of their lives

The promise. Has been made.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Bisse posted:

~~The Undying Screaming Baby~~

In 2014 we started working more on gun effects and with not much actual sounds yet we used placeholders for things like impact sounds, gun firing, effects triggering, etc.

A good place holder sound is, perhaps, a short click or beep.

This being ToG, though, someone who shall not be named added as a test sound a 6 second long, grating, ear-ripping sound of a baby screaming at the top of its lungs.

We were just kind of like, ok sure, whatever makes you smile mate, I’ll just turn off my sound then. It was funny for the first month and then someone finally had one too many ear-rippers and wanted to remove it.

At this point the sound was literally everywhere. Enemies, guns, effects, all screamed like starving infants. Combat sounded like a maternity ward. Since it was everywhere, you couldn’t just delete the sound, but you could replace it with something else, so we did. The end.

Or not, because a few days later, the screaming baby was suddenly back in the game full-force. I’m not sure how. Perhaps, merging git branches was really tricky with a GM:S project and it was one of many things that kept surviving merges. Or, someone was resurrecting it as a practical joke. We had to delete it several times.

A bit later I wrapped up a new sound system. When we merged this, the screaming baby came back from the grave, again! Now, random NPCs and objects cried in baby rage, due to some system issue. When looking for the actual sound in the game project, I literally could not find it! Was the project or some sound file corrupted? Was the baby scream hiding in a file named something else!?

Other issues were more important, so this undying specter stuck around, and we kind of just accepted it and removed it as we found it. Eventually we got a convention demo together and by then the sound seemed to be gone for good.

Some time later, most B2 sounds had random pitch changes when played, so effects would sound slightly different every time they were played, making rapid fire guns much more diverse and tolerable considering each bullet played the firing sound once. After a big combat merge, I went in to test and improve chain-gun sounds and put on my headphones with volume cranked way up. I crafted the chain-gun, revved it up, aimed at the test dummy, and unleashed a storm of bullets. But instead of the rapid drumming sound of a chain gun firing, the gates of hell opened upon a diverse choir of hell-spawn toddlers screaming in demonic rage.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gortarius posted:

Guys, lets reminisce and cherish all the good moments we've had on this wild ride.

For example:

I had fun posting nothing but misspellings of "Barkley" for several years up until the news of the project stalling out broke.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Just read the OP and this sounds pretty incredible, bummed that I appear to have missed out on the backer rewards but looking forward to playing this
hey man my cyberdwarf dakimakura is great

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

There was the time that Frankie was working on the ultimate gun's on stream, and we were all spitballing individual names for the top gun' of each material. He liked 'Cavendishtroyer' for the ultimate bananagun but refused to even acknowledge the ultimate bonegun "The Bill of Frights: The Second Amandible: The Right to Bare Armbones."

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Scarodactyl posted:

There was the time that Frankie was working on the ultimate gun's on stream, and we were all spitballing individual names for the top gun' of each material. He liked 'Cavendishtroyer' for the ultimate bananagun but refused to even acknowledge the ultimate bonegun "The Bill of Frights: The Second Amandible: The Right to Bare Armbones."

The very idea of an "ultimate gun" per material is anathema to the roguelike ethos of 100% procgen stats for all gun's

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Bongo Bill posted:

I had fun posting nothing but misspellings of "Barkley" for several years up until the news of the project stalling out broke.

everybody loves a good misspelling of the thread's protagonist

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im looking forward to this games release, because my philosophy is to never stop looking to the future

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
charlskley

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWKQiZVBtu4

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fuschia tude posted:

The very idea of an "ultimate gun" per material is anathema to the roguelike ethos of 100% procgen stats for all gun's

It's not a roguelike though, it's closer to a diabloesque

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dabir posted:

It's not a roguelike though, it's closer to a diabloesque

Diablo is just a roguelike with art :colbert:

and an actual difficulty curve

and it didn't have an ultimate weapon, either

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Diablo is real-time and therefore NOT a roguelike, per the Stockholm Appendix to the Geneva Transubstantiation.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fuschia tude posted:

Diablo is just a roguelike with art :colbert:

and an actual difficulty curve

and it didn't have an ultimate weapon, either

I'm assuming the "ultimate weapon" would be a complete joke like the mooninite quad laser.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Making games fun is loving hard. Harder than being funny

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Star Guarded posted:

Okay, one last cool thing, from the bball tactics guy (click here for his thoughts on all this).

Here's his development journal for bball tactics. Just to set expectations, this isn't a super professional design document done in powerpoint. It's just his scratch paper while he was working out problems, basically. Like anyone's personal notes, some of it is a bit impenetrable, but some of you might find it pretty cool like I did.

Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GxNNYQhMckDvBxIQGQTBhOr_eyUvlhpS/view?usp=sharing

This was cool.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

b2 looking good

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/sta...ingawful.com%2F

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Pärkley 2 :---------DDDD

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

I too think identifiable individuals should publically air all of their issues and concerns with their employers, this is a reasonable expectation

(I'm assuming that's how the team was structured and am too lazy to check, and I guess I agree to some extent that running damage control is lovely unless you're being forced to do exactly that)

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

Ryaomon posted:

i will never forgive lazrool for not making a sequel to dingletopia

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

If they throw in the towel do they have to refund everyone on kickstarter or something

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Bootleg Trunks posted:

If they throw in the towel do they have to refund everyone on kickstarter or something

Lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bootleg Trunks posted:

I think unless the project proves to be an outright scam there's no such accountability (and in fairness, if it fails it's extremely unlikely that there's any solvent entity to actually claw back the donations from)

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/ULTRAKILLGame/status/1384916089214275592

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Future Days posted:

i will never forgive lazrool for not making a sequel to dingletopia

Unfortunately it got over 100 steam reviews and that was our threshold for if we should make a sequel or not.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Don't post good games in this place.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Gortarius posted:

Unfortunately it got over 100 steam reviews and that was our threshold for if we should make a sequel or not.
Hey I think it's cool that Dingletopia has several times more reviews and much better score than notable kickstarter game Battle Axe.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think unless the project proves to be an outright scam there's no such accountability (and in fairness, if it fails it's extremely unlikely that there's any solvent entity to actually claw back the donations from)

that's correct, for better or for worse the democratization of capitalization with stuff like crowdfunding has also democratized the experience of "this thing i capitalized failed big rip"

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bisse posted:

Hey I think it's cool that Dingletopia has several times more reviews and much better score than notable kickstarter game Battle Axe.

It bothers me seeing these post-Barkley games given away for free. Have some self-respect :911:

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Bisse posted:

That game looks nice but sounds crappy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

It bothers me seeing these post-Barkley games given away for free. Have some self-respect :911:

I just bought Phucker in the Ashes a couple days ago, go buy that if you want to support them. I've laughed harder at Phucker than I have in a long time.