Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Eejit posted:

We were there last week for two days as part of a longer ski roadtrip that also involved touring around JH. We waited about 30 minutes to load on Friday, got up and found out you had to reserve a time to ski Big Couloir, so we went a took a fun techy line down one of the Gullies instead. We debated trying on Saturday, but honestly we didn't want to waste 30 minutes or more in line again to go up for a time and then do it all over when our time for Big Couloir came up.

Instead we lapped the pucker-inducing chutes off Headwaters and enjoyed top quality slush in the Bowl while laughing as the maze for the Tram just got longer and longer as the day went on.

e: I agree that a fixed grip (or 2000 vert ft poma lol) going up from Shedhorn would solve a lot of their problems. And it's definitely a bummer because the terrain up there is huge and really cool to ski. If we could have more easily accessed it, we would have spent way more time up here.

Yeah, unless I am able to catch a ride with someone on patrol at the end of the day, it's a waste of time to wait for more than one tram lap in a day at big sky. And if you're going to try to get up there, best make a bee-line right to the tram first thing in the morning, before that line gets insane. 30min isn't even very bad, I've seen it be a multi hour wait. You're right about the terrain off headwaters and also challenger though.

I'd totally be game for a super long poma. I've ridden the longest t bar in the world (castle mountain alberta, known as Tee rex lol) and I think it'd be a nice way to keep out the masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah, unless I am able to catch a ride with someone on patrol at the end of the day, it's a waste of time to wait for more than one tram lap in a day at big sky. And if you're going to try to get up there, best make a bee-line right to the tram first thing in the morning, before that line gets insane. 30min isn't even very bad, I've seen it be a multi hour wait. You're right about the terrain off headwaters and also challenger though.

I'd totally be game for a super long poma. I've ridden the longest t bar in the world (castle mountain alberta, known as Tee rex lol) and I think it'd be a nice way to keep out the masses.

Yeah the 30 mns we waited seemed reasonable for the terrain we were skiing.

We probably had the most fun on Challenger actually. Took whatever chute it is to the lookers right of the chair once and the combination of aspect and elevation actually had the best corn.

Big Sky is rad. If you like big mountain, heart pounding, steep and narrow shitfuck lines, it is filled to the brim. If we continue to get an Ikon as part of our Aspen pass, we will definitely return.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Eejit posted:

Yeah the 30 mns we waited seemed reasonable for the terrain we were skiing.

We probably had the most fun on Challenger actually. Took whatever chute it is to the lookers right of the chair once and the combination of aspect and elevation actually had the best corn.

Big Sky is rad. If you like big mountain, heart pounding, steep and narrow shitfuck lines, it is filled to the brim. If we continue to get an Ikon as part of our Aspen pass, we will definitely return.

Yeah I really enjoyed Big Sky when I went there. It was... 2008? But similar experience. Did the tram a couple times over a week long stay, but by far the most fun we had was off challenger and the other side of the ridge into (at the time) Moonlight Basin.

That was right as I was getting out of college/gradschool/east coast, and demoed and bought my first pair of fatter skis. Good memories. 189cm K2 Obsethed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I drove past Big Sky between Kimberley and Sun Valley one year and just what I saw from the highway made me go "yeah I need to visit here one day".

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
If you're ever in Bozeman and Big Sky is too much of a zoo, you should visit Bridger Bowl. Local municipality owned mountain about 1/3 the size of Big Sky but still lots of challenging terrain and a total laid back local mountain vibe. Not as many tourists and the locals absolutely rip. I'm actually thinking about retiring to the Bozeman area eventually.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

If you're ever in Bozeman and Big Sky is too much of a zoo, you should visit Bridger Bowl. Local municipality owned mountain about 1/3 the size of Big Sky but still lots of challenging terrain and a total laid back local mountain vibe. Not as many tourists and the locals absolutely rip. I'm actually thinking about retiring to the Bozeman area eventually.

That’s awesome, good to know, thanks!!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Don’t forget a beacon for bridger, it’s required to ride the best lift.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Taking my step-son to go ride Eldora on Saturday. We've never ridden there, so any tips on best lifts/runs are more than welcome! This will be his 4th or 5th time skiing ever, but the kid tackles mellow-to-moderate blue runs with no problems whatsoever.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

New ski day! Moment texted me this morning that they were ready, and asked if I wanted them shipped or held for pickup at the factory. I went down after skiing today, they mounted my bindings for free (complimenting my color choice) in like 15 minutes while I drank a free beer. Awesome company, awesome people, awesome skis. And they do free 2 day demos.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Those are sick. I decided not to get rid of my skis because I had a great time crushing slush on them last weekend, but the next pair I buy will be Wagners so I can have exactly that experience.

Also I just learned the hard way that the batteries on my camper froze. Thought I was safe, I was not.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Ffffffuck that's rad

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

I'm touring through next week with a guide and one woman who is cool and a few other people who I don't know. Unfortunately one of the guys seems to be a bit of a cock

Cool woman broke her toe quad biking just before the tour and bailed on the trip together with her friends. Paul was indeed an absolute cock but at least was a pretty safe skier.

Thanks for the recs on Hoji boots, they were really perfect for this trip. I had plenty of control even when the snow got a bit heavy low down. The Moonlight skis were also excellent, amazing performance for a light ski.

Some pics:

Evening view from Tracuit.

^ looking up the route we took over the Turtmann glacier to Tracuit to access the Bishorn. You go round the ridge on the left to get onto the centre shelf of the glacier and then skin up to the right.

^ at the top of the Turtmann glacier. We skied the two snow covered peaks, the Bishorn (4150m) centre left and the Tête de Milon (3700m) on the right. The Weisshorn (4500m) is centre and maybe something I can do in the summer in future if I get good enough at alpine climbing.

The final descent was pretty huge from the Bishorn summit down to Zinal at 1650m so 2500m vertical.

^ this is the view from the Tête de Milon which I climbed and skied with the guide. The pointy mountain centre left is the Zinalrothorn, then the Matterhorn peeking past the snow-covered Obergabelhorn, then the big black mountain is ironically the Dent Blanche. Beautiful ski back down to Tracuit in fresh powder.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

There is something about starting in the dark....

And deciding to park at the highway and not risk the road...

It was a bit icy as you can see. Apparently they had picked up two people who didn't want to keep skinning up and they were in the bed when it went over... yikes!

Saw a cool old building

Thank the lord Jesus for ski crampons. My buddy slowly coaching his GF over. I was on the radio just like "great job, good technique, doing awesome"

Topped it out on Torreys Peak (14,267')

Looking for a line that we could get into easily my buddy's GF was kind of losing it. Granted it is no loving joke getting into some of the couloirs and they are very steep.

Ultimately made the right call to go back to the saddle and ski the bowl.

My buddy's girl

My buddy (I skied that line just before him)

All told 4710' of vert and 13.3 miles. I sore.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Time for the bonus content! Let's just start with this photo taken at 14,267' on the top of Torreys.

So this dude boots it up from the highway...in some Nikes.... with nothing for traction. For pants he is rocking some champion brand basketball pants.

So we saw a guy booting up and he goes and tops out on Greys peak (another 14000' peak that is right next to Torreys, people commonly top out on both when they hike it). The problem is that there is basically no skiing off of Greys (especially this year). So he shows up on the top of Torreys and is kind of looking around...asking some questions. My buddy asks " what was your plan today?" and he basically says "I don't really know what I am doing here". We basically get him to walk back down and then he decides to drop into the bowl we ended up riding. It is about 40 degrees at the drop in. Dude has no poles. He is trying to step in VERY close to the lip of the bowl. He decides it was not close enough. He DROPS his ski into a little pocket, how it did not just go all the way to the bottom I have no idea. He stopped it with the other ski somehow I think. So I think he realizes it is a bad idea, tries to reach down. slips and just disappears... he drops one of the skis... we are maybe 750' from this guy strapping in to get a little more riding in. So I can't see what happened to him, we were dropping the same spot, so I cruise down, I am sure he is just wrecked. Somehow he has 1 of his skis, he is not dead and his other ski is like 10' above him. I just ask "are you ok" and he says yeah. looks like he is getting his stuff together but he is not going anywhere. So I drop in and have a great ride. radio up for my buddy to drop and the dude is asking if he can take videos because it is so cool... He drops, his girl drops We go all the way down to the bottom and change over. He got his skis on and he made maybe 2 turns after siding down a bit. He was just sitting there on the more mellow part (still 30-33 degrees or so). For all I know he is still sitting there. I hope not, maybe I should have helped more? Not sure what I could do for a dude who is a train wreck that can't really ski. It was just crazy. At least we had basically no avy danger and he could just slide down on his butt and then walk out.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Yikes. Are things still cool enough all day at that elevation that you don’t have to worry about wet loose? Pretty much every day for the last 3 weeks here has been moderate risk due to wet loose hazard

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

Yikes. Are things still cool enough all day at that elevation that you don’t have to worry about wet loose? Pretty much every day for the last 3 weeks here has been moderate risk due to wet loose hazard

yeah it has been getting really cold (supposed to snow 2' this week) at night and not really that warm even with the the sun angle. The freeze line today was probably about 11,500'

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I love spring skiing so drat much. Not sure how long it’ll stay quite like this with things melting fast but stoked that I still in theory have nearly two more months of skiing left.

Went out on the Wildcats yesterday because I had to, despite them definitely being the wrong ski for lots of spring moguls. Today was back on the Enforcers. Easy for me to get out for an hour or two before closing and get in 10k+ vert on KT no problem.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Urrggghhhhhhhhh I'm so jealous that I'm missing out on a second year in a row of spring skiing. It is literally my favourite season.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HookShot posted:

Urrggghhhhhhhhh I'm so jealous that I'm missing out on a second year in a row of spring skiing. It is literally my favourite season.

I’m somewhat terrified that the general public might eventually figure out that pretty much every spring day is better than at least half of the days in winter and things won’t be empty after mid March anymore

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
We got a foot last week after a couple days of 60 degrees t shirt riding on the mountain, and there was nobody out. Spring rules.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

I’m somewhat terrified that the general public might eventually figure out that pretty much every spring day is better than at least half of the days in winter and things won’t be empty after mid March anymore

It will never happen. people are on to other stuff (golf, biking, climbing, camping, etc.).

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Eldora was pretty fun, crowd was pretty sparse. Frozen over when we got there, but softened up after just an hour or so.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So what are the chances that A-Basin stays open until I get to Denver in late June? Does anywhere else stay open that long?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

So what are the chances that A-Basin stays open until I get to Denver in late June? Does anywhere else stay open that long?

No chance this year. making it to Memorial day will be pushing it this year.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I bought my spring pass 3 weeks ago or so and still haven't been up. Just looking at the calendar like "meh, still got 2 solid months to ride".

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah due to previously unscheduled travel plans I’m missing out on unguided season at Silverton but oh well, this spring was phenomenal. Seeya next year, splitboard.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone happen to know what the term "Ski Beach" means, particularly as used in this article :

https://townlift.com/2021/04/alterra-investing-in-upgrades-to-deer-valley-other-resorts/

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Does anyone happen to know what the term "Ski Beach" means, particularly as used in this article :

https://townlift.com/2021/04/alterra-investing-in-upgrades-to-deer-valley-other-resorts/

Generally rows of lawn chairs by the lodges, sometimes with a bar. They're nice on a sunny day

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Got about 20 or so inches of snow in utah over the past two days - even friends in park city woke up to a foot and a half!

At 9am yesterday I checked the snowbird snow stake, about an inch on it. I checked at noon, and no poo poo there was 11 inches there. People were reporting yesterday morning that they'd get drat near an inch covering their legs during a single lift ride, was coming down over 3 inches an hour at times. Upper mountain closed down but opened up this morning, awwww yeah.....

Definitely a nice april blast!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I took the day off yesterday and went spring skiing at crystal yesterday and it was a blast. Runs and lots were empty and I much prefer soft spring snow than hard packed frozen concrete and a crowded resort. Sunny warm weather is also nice. I haven't spring skied since I was 16?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Today was mighty fine in the backcountry. Soft soft powder.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Did not expect to see Kemper on my ExpertVoice feed

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kemper and splitboard... not words I would put together. Price is right though to try it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I for one appreciate Kemper never changing its graphic styling since the 80s

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
You just reminded me to get my expertvoice membership as a US Ski & Snowboard official. Are there any really good snowboard/ski deals currently?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Both the Apex and Freeride hit me in the feels. Those things were heavy as gently caress, but rode drat well. Had a friend that rode the Screamer (that the Apex graphics are based on) hit a 6" diameter tree flat on the base between the bindings and took out the tree.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kiimo posted:

It is left over stock. They were way ahead of their time re: Splits.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

E: didn’t even look at my own picture

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

kiimo posted:

Think of the savings by not needing a graphic design team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
West Coast Update

Fri: Trace
Sat: 2-4"
Sun: 4-8"
Mon: 1-3"
Tues: Trace

7-15" in late April?

Bachelor is in its spring death throes and I'm supposed to break out my powder skis again?