Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
1.5 billion or 3 Mike Trout contracts to buy the Wolves

wtf baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
players getting lots of money is good and tragically happening less often in baseball now as they brainwash fans into thinking all big contracts are bad and that every team should be nothing but rookie contracts for ~*~payroll flexibility~*~ don't contract shame

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Does one dude really need to make 500 million tho

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

verbal enema posted:

He's one of the best players of all time.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

verbal enema posted:

If someone willingly wants to pay him that much money, sure.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Year of the dunk

https://twitter.com/SacramentoKings/status/1381080410881290241

With audio

https://streamable.com/vb1u6v

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
fair enough

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

verbal enema posted:

No he should make more tbh

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How much money does ARod have now that he can't mooch off JLo anymore

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How much money does ARod have now that he can't mooch off JLo anymore

Surprisingly quite a bit. Online estimates put him between 300-350 million dollars.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

a new study bible! posted:

Congrats to your 2026 NBA Champions, The Virginia Beach Timberwolves

What is the actual likely-hood that Virgina Beach gets any sports team? I remember reading somewhere once that VB-Norfolk is the largest market in the US without a Major league team.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Geo Fixer posted:

What is the actual likely-hood that Virgina Beach gets any sports team? I remember reading somewhere once that VB-Norfolk is the largest market in the US without a Major league team.

none

fanbase is nonexistent

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Niang drilling a 3 then falling as he's talking poo poo is cracking me up

https://twitter.com/BiasedSlightly/status/1381082979372576776?s=19

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
https://twitter.com/Suns/status/1381085185312051203?s=20

Yo

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
Enes Kanter with 23 and 30 tonight. Blazer record for rebounds, o rebs (12), and first time in nba since 2018.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

This is some full-on anime poo poo

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
He did that twice tonight. Insane

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Raptors fans:

How has Malachi looked so far?

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
So fun little story. Melo has been getting higher on the all time scoring list- they've been giving him the game ball every time and demanding a speech-

He ended the last one with "no more speeches- I'll just say I could be anywhere in the world, and I'm here."

So tonight Enes got the game ball. They demand a speech and he says "I'll just say I could be anywhere in the world, and I'm here."

And in the background, somebody says

"Well, you can't be anywhere"

lmao

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

Who cares . It’s ash and and dust now. There is no hope

nice meltdown

furkan korkmaz had 5 steals against the worst team in the league tonight and joel was back to normal from midrange...easy win.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

OH WORD SON posted:

And in the background, somebody says

"Well, you can't be anywhere"

lmao

It’s true, he can’t be in the right defensive position to save his life

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
Or Turkey, which is the original and better joke

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

verbal enema posted:

1.5 billion or 3 Mike Trout contracts to buy the Wolves

wtf baseball

lol I couldn't even recognize a picture of Mike Trout.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

a neat cape posted:

Raptors fans:

How has Malachi looked so far?

You’d have gotten a different answer like 2 weeks ago as he’d have just gotten an incomplete as he didn’t get much time since an impressive preseason.

The last handful of games with Lowry and FVV out has been a revelation though. After getting sent to the GLeague where he looked real good, he started getting some bench minutes and with the big guys out, he’s played 30+ minutes a game and has looked real good including his first start and first double-double.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spacebump posted:

Sounds loving lit tbh.

Being Rich but not Famous >>>>>>>>

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Isaiah Stewart is quietly having a statistically good defensive rookie year on a dog poo poo team where he's almost exclusively coming off the bench.

Yeah, he can't score to save his life. Payton Pritchard is getting more buckets per game. HOWEVER

Leads rookies in rebounds (6.0 per game, 298 for the year)
Leads rookies in blocks (1.0 per game, 52 for the year)
Tied for third with Quickley in total win shares amongst rookies (.127 per 48, 2.6 for the year)
Fifth among rookies in PER (15.6)

It's like Ben Wallace 2.0

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It rules that this forum generated the nickname for probably a top 10 all time baseball player and no one knows who he is.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Spacebump posted:

Lot's of baseball names in the NBA thread right now. I think the Wolves going for 1.5 billion is the real story. How long ago was the Clippers sale? Not gonna google it but Balmer throwing money around doubled the value of every north American sports team. Look it up the large majority of teams were still valued in the hundreds of millions with only a few in the billion territory. Now the Cowboys and Yankees of the world are valued in several billions and the lowliest of the low teams are at least 1.5 Billion, no offense.

Also Lakers beat the Nets and Ben McLemore shoots 5-10 from 3 and the team shoots 55% from deep. Cue the Lebron tweet.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Vinestalk posted:

Isaiah Stewart is quietly having a statistically good defensive rookie year on a dog poo poo team where he's almost exclusively coming off the bench.

Yeah, he can't score to save his life. Payton Pritchard is getting more buckets per game. HOWEVER

Leads rookies in rebounds (6.0 per game, 298 for the year)
Leads rookies in blocks (1.0 per game, 52 for the year)
Tied for third with Quickley in total win shares amongst rookies (.127 per 48, 2.6 for the year)
Fifth among rookies in PER (15.6)

It's like Ben Wallace 2.0

Detroit had a great draft, although i was disappointed they drafted Hayes instead of Halliburton. Hayes will work out in the long run.
If the Magic don't get the lottery balls to get number 1 i hope it's Detroit.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm not watching detroit is he actually good at defense or does he just get lots of rebounds and pad his defensive rating and stuff like that?

He's definitely way better than I thought he would be though, I think washington's system might just make it kind of impossible to tell who is actually good?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

MourningView posted:

I'm not watching detroit is he actually good at defense or does he just get lots of rebounds and pad his defensive rating and stuff like that?

he is a good defender in a lot of little ways. he isn't even a good rebounder.

quote:

He's definitely way better than I thought he would be though, I think washington's system might just make it kind of impossible to tell who is actually good?

this is very true, some teams just get lucky. i don't believe anyone can draft from a zone school and have any confidence they're getting a good defender.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Declan MacManus posted:

none

fanbase is nonexistent

Yeah pretty much. I think there's enough of a desire to support an NBA or NHL team, but Virginia Beach doesn't want to work with any other city, because doing something like boosting public infrastructure means more black people from other cities going to the oceanfront.

That area is never getting a pro sports team. It's for the best.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/stevejones20/status/1381229855887478788?s=21

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MourningView posted:

scout with bryan finally got banned from Twitter for being an insane person and then posted a 20 minute car selfie video about it

a 20 minute video about how not mad he is that he got banned from twitter lol

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

a new study bible! posted:

Yeah pretty much. I think there's enough of a desire to support an NBA or NHL team, but Virginia Beach doesn't want to work with any other city, because doing something like boosting public infrastructure means more black people from other cities going to the oceanfront.

That area is never getting a pro sports team. It's for the best.

agreed

for the benefit of the rest of the thread, and because i know about a thing and want to share, Here is Why Virginia Beach Will Never Get A Pro Franchise:

a vb/norfolk team would actually be drawing on 7 different cities that would be roughly equivalent to the dallas metro area in terms of population. unfortunately the overwhelming majority of those are military transplants, so no va loyalty and no reason to be loyal long term. the overwhelming military presence also means that despite its large size and diverse population, it is thoroughly and unflinchingly red, so public infrastructure funding is impossible; besides the nimbys you also have service members unwilling to fund infrastructure that they may never actually see before they get new orders and end up moving.

the arena itself is also an important consideration. land in the 757 is generally on the cheaper side for residential use but is exceedingly expensive for commercial considerations (city of transplants). since you’re not getting a public railway and the bus system only exists to ferry people out to the oceanfront, you’d need a place that either has good access already or can easily have road and highway access built, but also has a decent amount of land available. there are already arenas in the area but they only seat about 12k people. your two likeliest candidates would be somewhere in suffolk/chesapeake or someone buying up a bunch of farmland in pungo; both would likely only be accessible via car and suffer from lots of traffic and parking problems.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/KyrieIrving/status/1381247207437963273?s=19

teach these devils ky 🗣️🗣️

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://twitter.com/NBACobwebs/status/1381258611029073920

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Declan MacManus posted:

agreed

for the benefit of the rest of the thread, and because i know about a thing and want to share, Here is Why Virginia Beach Will Never Get A Pro Franchise:

a vb/norfolk team would actually be drawing on 7 different cities that would be roughly equivalent to the dallas metro area in terms of population. unfortunately the overwhelming majority of those are military transplants, so no va loyalty and no reason to be loyal long term. the overwhelming military presence also means that despite its large size and diverse population, it is thoroughly and unflinchingly red, so public infrastructure funding is impossible; besides the nimbys you also have service members unwilling to fund infrastructure that they may never actually see before they get new orders and end up moving.

the arena itself is also an important consideration. land in the 757 is generally on the cheaper side for residential use but is exceedingly expensive for commercial considerations (city of transplants). since you’re not getting a public railway and the bus system only exists to ferry people out to the oceanfront, you’d need a place that either has good access already or can easily have road and highway access built, but also has a decent amount of land available. there are already arenas in the area but they only seat about 12k people. your two likeliest candidates would be somewhere in suffolk/chesapeake or someone buying up a bunch of farmland in pungo; both would likely only be accessible via car and suffer from lots of traffic and parking problems.

This is a good write up and a lot of these factors (transplant population, infrastructure issues, property prices, etc) are why San Diego isn't getting a team as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Just got back from a week away but really glad the timer is on for Glenn Taylor's involvement with the Wolves.