Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
Wait, this is the thirteenth Chickam -- I think the problem has been staring us in the face the whole time..

I still worry whenever I see Chicken Boo breathing like a bellows, but we're at a point, hopefully. It's great whenever one of the chicks realizes that she's been singled out by The Hand(s), or when one of several of them streeeeeetches out a leg behind them for no apparent reason, or when two of them start mirroring each other.

eating only apples posted:

There've been hard years in the past, VS. Sometimes it was the kids dying later, sometimes it was babies dying right after hatching, or in the days after. I remember so many who died as babies or young birds. They all had the best life possible. This one has been particularly rough though and I hope you all are doing okay through it. I hope you know that nothing about this was your fault. You do your absolute best for these guys and give them the happiest life imaginable. I'm so sorry that this is happening.

Definitely, they're always warm and cared-for until their end, they've been safe from the outside, and you're doing all you can, VS.

(I was scared it was going to turn out the hay had been treated somehow, instead of the flamingo or the cardboard or whatever it was. What a nightmare.)

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I thought she looked particularly droopy...

Thank you for continuing the stream, VS. It means a lot to still be able to follow the ones we've gotten so invested in.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

eating only apples posted:

There've been hard years in the past, VS. Sometimes it was the kids dying later, sometimes it was babies dying right after hatching, or in the days after. I remember so many who died as babies or young birds. They all had the best life possible. This one has been particularly rough though and I hope you all are doing okay through it. I hope you know that nothing about this was your fault. You do your absolute best for these guys and give them the happiest life imaginable. I'm so sorry that this is happening.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Petunia... :ohdear:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

:(

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

So that there isn't too much sadness on one page, here's the flock being adorable as ever:

:kimchi:

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 9, 2021

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Poor little thing. :(

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Thanks for the support, everyone. I'm sorry about Petunia, the others looks quite strong, so hopefully she will be the last one we lose.

The kid and I will get individual chick pictures today, which will mean more outraged peeping. Tiny wings and tails are beginning. :) Anf thanks for posting the pictures, those are great!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

We went to the feed store for chicken food....and...well, my kid was sad, and asked so nicely.

The new chicks: a two week old buff Orpington (giant blond chick), a Dominique (dark chick with a white spot on her head), a partridge Rock (red/brown chick) and a Midnight Majesty Marans (dark chick with feathered feet). All are supposed to be hens. Now we need to choose 4 new names!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

We went to the feed store for chicken food....and...well, my kid was sad, and asked so nicely.

:henget:

Now we need to choose 4 new names!

Melon

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Chocobo

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Caldera

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Petwonia

or even stylized like a Prince-esque chick

P2nia

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My friend suggests Ashwing for the dark one.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 9, 2021

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Okay, we have names! I'll add them to the list I put up, too.

Jonesy (by Pennywise) – Feed store buff Orpington chick, two weeks old. Large buff chick, no foot feathers.

Spork (by Rei) – Feed store Dominique chick, dark with a white head spot, no foot feathers.

Slick Charlie (by Spaghett) – Feed store partridge Rock chick, reddish-brown, fuzzy, no foot feathers.

Nyx (by Jae Brown) – Feed store Midnight Majesty Marans chick, dark with foot feathers. (although I will forever call this breed a Midnight Marauder)

New chick list: https://i.imgur.com/667ySbc.jpg

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 9, 2021

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I'm so sorry about the losses. Birds are fragile things. But their lives were filled with warmth, care, and love. They couldn't have hoped for a better home.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Jonesy (by Pennywise) – Feed store buff Orpington chick, two weeks old. Large buff chick, no foot feathers.

:neckbeard:

I hope all of your chicks do well. You seem to really care for them and give them the best life they can have.

Mazenki
Nov 19, 2010
Spork is so cuddly! They demand all the cuddles, even if they must chase other chicks away from the hand

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Spork (by Rei) – Feed store Dominique chick, dark with a white head spot, no foot feathers.

Slick Charlie (by Spaghett) – Feed store partridge Rock chick, reddish-brown, fuzzy, no foot feathers.

Nyx (by Jae Brown) – Feed store Midnight Majesty Marans chick, dark with foot feathers. (although I will forever call this breed a Midnight Marauder)
Great names. Welcome, little ones!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Hey, baby chick pictures! https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2021/04/baby-chick-pix.html

Also, Spork is crazy-friendly, and clearly the leader of the pack of this group--they all follow her around and do whatever she's doing. Spork was a big help in getting our hatched chicks to thaw out and trust us again.
Her 'Head Hen' attitude should be interesting once they all go out into the flock...Chonk (a BIG light Brahma hen) is our current Head Hen. Chock even thumps on Bobbie and Carrie, our two youngster roos, every so often. Just to remind them who's *really* in charge, y'know...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Notgothic posted:

I still worry whenever I see Chicken Boo breathing like a bellows, but we're at a point, hopefully.

I had the poor fortune to see Chicken Boo's last moments tonight. The other chicks look much more robust, at least.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chicken Boo is gone.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Chicken Boo is gone.

I'm so sorry. :smith:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

On the bright side, the rest of the chicks seem alert and healthy. Lots of jockeying for position on the dirt clod this morning. :)

Stretching these new wings!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

On the bright side, the rest of the chicks seem alert and healthy. Lots of jockeying for position on the dirt clod this morning. :)

Criminy, I've hatched meercats.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I had the poor fortune to see Chicken Boo's last moments tonight. The other chicks look much more robust, at least.

Arrrrrrrgh, I feel like I cursed her now :( But I guess it was the way it was meant to go.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kneel!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Slick Charlie!

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Slick Charlie!

:five:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Slick Charlie!

Incredible

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Slick Charlie!

OMG This is PERFECTION!

The chicks are in their new digs, a 60 inch round pool.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Slick Charlie!

Oh god yes :five:

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Them babies so big now. And so relaxing to sit and listen to!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Those are some weird looking ducks

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Chickam is a wonderful cam :kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Wrong Thread!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Sorry the cam went down, I think we had a power surge here while everyone slept--the light in the chick box blew out, too. Everything is back now!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Sorry the cam went down, I think we had a power surge here while everyone slept--the light in the chick box blew out, too. Everything is back now!

Oh dear, hope the little ones weren't too scared :ohdear:. I bet there was a lot of Furious Peeping at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^ They were fine, Mama Flamingo stayed on the job and kept them warm.

Okay, much to the little drama-llama's displeasure, all of the leg bands have been removed. Harvey now has a blue spot just above her tail so we can tell her from Ouzo. :derp: