Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I think like the chainmail or some other early chest piece has flinch free, I wore that until I got it on a talisman, which was eventually replaced by a deco. Not like you need an Optimal skill loadout in early HR, especially if you're playing with other people. Being able to gang up on a mon's head w/o tripping is a real damage bonus anyway.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Always!

E: I just saw the other post about my question and thank you. I'm trying to try out different weapons because when I played my last Monster Hunter game, the first one for the 3ds, I used nothing but the Switch Axe. I am trying out everything...or was, because I've stuck with the glaive. It's got everything I want: bouncing around like an idiot, bug friend, living out my Darth Maul fantasies.

Insect Glaive is so good, I love being a blender on a pogo stick

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 11, 2021

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Improbable Lobster posted:

Insect Glaive is so good, I being a blender on a pogo stick

:sickos:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

lets hang out posted:

I think like the chainmail or some other early chest piece has flinch free, I wore that until I got it on a talisman, which was eventually replaced by a deco. Not like you need an Optimal skill loadout in early HR, especially if you're playing with other people. Being able to gang up on a mon's head w/o tripping is a real damage bonus anyway.

Yeah, good idea. Can give up a bit of Artillery, damage isn't the problem.

Melding: should I be keeping the melder full to have trash charms for the later meld types?

That's how I got most of my good decos in GU, through running Brachy subquest for trash charms to feed the melder.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pixaal posted:

Did you know the monsters size varies and you get crowns for fighting really small and really large versions of each? It's random when you start the quest.

I love fighting tiny Great versions that are smaller than the regular ones it's always hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysbLnSxdVnY

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

why is that guys hammer so small

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

v1ld posted:

I tried to build one and got a Muck Resistance/Blast Resistance one instead. Only have access to the second level of charms and they seem to give random results?

So the early ones have a % next to the skill when you select them - that's the % that you actually get the skill you want. Yes it's stupid. Some materials aren't too bad to throw in there, I like to throw in Rampage tickets because you don't need that many. But if you're going for a 10% skill that means you need ~10 talismans to actually get the skill you're going for yes/.

For the best charms it's FULLY random. You do get much better charms and are able to pop them out really quickly but It's definitely a bad feeling to pick up 5 charms and be like... ok well these are all useless

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I see you need a ton of points to (attempt to) make some of the better talismans... are there any “safe” items that are either not used for anything else/super common for their point value I should be using?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Rampage tickets and final boss parts are the popular choices. I throw in extra monster parts I have more than 10 of too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lets hang out posted:

Rampage tickets and final boss parts are the popular choices. I throw in extra monster parts I have more than 10 of too.

:same: I use anything that’s over 10.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Kiranico's Rise data is filling out quickly, very cool.

Quest list for reward items: https://mhrise.kiranico.com/data/items/1046750886

Detailed monster info for each quest, including HP: https://mhrise.kiranico.com/data/quests/981917638

Looks like Flinch Free can be crafted in HR6 after all.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I see you need a ton of points to (attempt to) make some of the better talismans... are there any “safe” items that are either not used for anything else/super common for their point value I should be using?

You barely, barely use Rampage tickets. Even fully crafted rampage weapons don't take much and the ramp up skills barely take any. Rampages online in a group are also extremely easy, people have figured them out now and I generally always get an S rank and a pile of materials for like 10 minutes of work, and you still get stuff like Anjanath plates while doing them

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

yeah im basically done with the game for now and am just hopping on line to beat up rajang or do rampage quests with randos trying to roll a charm with 2 points of weakness exploit and a 2 size deco slot (i only have a charm with 2 weakness exploit and a size 1 slot :argh:)

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

im playing hammer in gen u with striker style now

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What is blast element? I’m thinking about crafting Magnamalo’s GL.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

What is blast element? I’m thinking about crafting Magnamalo’s GL.

you hit a monster a bunch and build up the blast status and then an explosion happens for some damage

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Going all in on a bludgeoner build without mind's eye is going to suck isn't it? Like, priority one for that build should be ME2, or is it not actually that bad.

Looking at Switch Axe/Vovidron with the Rampage weapon that gives a mile and a half of green sharpness plus stacking paralyze.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Sounds sweet I’m going to start making even more explosions with this ridiculous weapon.

Every game needs a gun lance.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Poniard posted:

im playing hammer in gen u with striker style now

Funny way to spell aerial style :confused:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Kerbtree posted:

Funny way to spell aerial style :confused:

i played aerial style for like 50 hours im trying a different one

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Aerial was the best GU style.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Brutal Strike seems to be a 3.75% additive bump in damage for a weapon with --20% affinity if this math is right:

(.75×.2×.75)+(.25×.2×1.5)−.2×.75 = 3.75%

Last term, .2*.75, is the 20% of crits that cause only 75% of damage to apply. The first two terms are Brutal Strike bumping 25% of those negative crits to give 150% damage instead.

Seems ... ok? Better than a 4-8% affinity bump but not as good as it was in GU where it was 200% instead of 150%. That 3.75% would have been 6.25% in GU with the 200%.

Seems like it's worth sticking on if there are no good attack boost options for the weapon though.

I see some Brutal Strike is OP posts on the net. Is the above incorrect? It's not actively bad, but it's far from OP too if the above is right. What am I missing?

E: (.75×.2×.75)+(.25×.2×1.5)−.2×.75 simplifies to .25×.2×.75 of course. Easier to try different values of negative affinity with that last, just replace the .2.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 11, 2021

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah I don't think it's OP but it is strong when you consider that it turns the negative affinity into a net damage boost with no other investment. Really good for something like the Diablos lance that benefits a lot from not having to take crit skills so that it can take more guard/off guard/guard up.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, gonna stick on the Barroth CB which doesn't have many good options anyway.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

If you wanna do a bludgeoner CB build, Rajang CB has Dulling Strike for its ramp up skill.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Brutal Strike may not be OP, but is it good? I got the Goss Horag GS and just crit eyed the negative affinity, should I have stuck Brutal Strike on it and take off the crit eye on my armor instead?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

At -20% affinity on the Barroth CB, Brutal Strike is a 3.75% damage bump. To get the same bump with affinity would take 3.75 * 4 = 15% affinity.

So, Brutal Strike is a cheap way to offset most of that -20% affinity. And that's pretty strong because it's so cheap to put on compared to using up slots for affinity skills.

It's good to use given how cheap it is to add to a weapon, basically and gives decent results for not much effort.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 11, 2021

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah I don't think it's OP but it is strong when you consider that it turns the negative affinity into a net damage boost with no other investment. Really good for something like the Diablos lance that benefits a lot from not having to take crit skills so that it can take more guard/off guard/guard up.

It doesn't turn negative affinity into a net damage boost, or even come close really. On the Diablos lance, for example, the -30% affinity normally means a 7.5% damage penalty, brutal strike changes it to a net 3% damage penalty (24% to get .25x damage penalty, 6% to get .5x damage boost).

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 11, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It doesn't turn negative affinity into a net damage boost, or even come close.

It effectively turns a -20% affinity weapon into a -5% affinity weapon for very little effort. It's strong in that sense: very little investment for that bump compared to the cost of slots.

But yeah, it doesn't overcome all of the negative affinity, for sure.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

v1ld posted:

It effectively turns a -20% affinity weapon into a -5% affinity weapon for very little effort. It's strong in that sense: very little investment for that bump compared to the cost of slots.

But yeah, it doesn't overcome all of the negative affinity, for sure.

In terms of average expected damage, it turns a -20 affinity weapon into a -8 affinity weapon :eng101:

You can always just think of brutal strike as reducing the negative affinity number by 60%. Which is great, like 18 or 12 affinity on a -30/-20 weap is good, except it doesn't do anything if the affinity isn't negative and it's nowhere close to the 50% you can get from WEX3 alone.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 11, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This comes up quite a bit, so:

Negative affinity is not bad by itself and there's no need to remove it from a weapon by adding positing affinity to zero it out.

A 100 raw, -20% affinity weapon does the same as a 95 raw weapon on the average (-20/4=-5% damage). So just treat it as a 95 raw weapon when comparing.

If you're not going to put +20% affinity on a 0% affinity weapon, you shouldn't be putting it on a -20% affinity weapon. They will both get the same +5% bump in damage.

The only situation where this isn't true is if other skills are being triggered by affinity. Critical Element for eg. But that only matters if you have a lot of affinity already, not negative or close to zero affinity.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

v1ld posted:

Feels tough to land all SAED explosions given the new pattern. The AED seems a lot more reliable as the explosions are at the contact point. Does Axe Hopper's aerial SAED have a better pattern/land more explosions?

SAED is easy to spam from CPP but it's going to do less damage than the AED is most cases. Makes sense if they made it very situational.

Loving the axe mode. Surprised by how nice Load Shells feels in play, it's more fluid to charge up and no point in having the extra phial from Capacity Boost if AEDs are preferred. CB feels great. Using all of the moveset like in GU and unlike OG World before Iceborne.

What are y'all's CB builds? Just got to HR6 and am running a mix of Rhenoplos, Basarios, Barroth for Artillery 3, Load Shells 2, Guard 2. Haven't started building decos yet.

E: Training room shows axe damage roughly doubling from savage mode, so raw damage boosts are roughly half as effective for skills that don't effect phials? Seems like Attack Boost and other attack skills should be better than crit skills for CB since they boost raw and phial damage both. What's the consensus in best way to build for CB?

I really wish I could have Axe hopper + CPP, alas. Also I agree, I played a lot of CB in world but the SAED hitbox seems awful now. I'd try out rapid morph 3, it speeds up some animations including SAED.
As for builds, there are a couple different ways to go depending if you are focusing on phial damage or spinning axe damage, since those seem to be the best things you can be doing with the current setup. Bludgeoner-based phial builds also work nice with the high-raw Rajang CB and lets you mostly ignore sharpness and crit skills. Axe builds can go for normal crit-based setups.
There's some decent starter builds here: https://mhchargeblade.net/mhr/builds/

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

In terms of average expected damage, it turns a -20 affinity weapon into a -8 affinity weapon :eng101:

From the math above, a -20% affinity weapon gets a 3.75% bump = 3.75% * 4 = 15% affinity, not 12%. So it's equivalent to a -5% affinity weapon, not -8%?

It's -7.5% for a -30% affinity weapon though, not for a -20% weapon.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Another important thing for Charge Blade is getting Load Shells 2, which lets you fully stock phials off of yellow charge. The translation only the skill's tooltip is completely wrong so it's not clear that it actually does that.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

v1ld posted:

From the math above, a -20% affinity weapon gets a 3.75% bump = 3.75% * 4 = 15% affinity, not 12%. So it's equivalent to a -5% affinity weapon, not -8%?

Brutal Strike procs 20% of the time on negative crit, not 25%. Unless the testing that I've seen has been wrong.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

mightygerm posted:

I really wish I could have Axe hopper + CPP, alas. Also I agree, I played a lot of CB in world but the SAED hitbox seems awful now. I'd try out rapid morph 3, it speeds up some animations including SAED.
As for builds, there are a couple different ways to go depending if you are focusing on phial damage or spinning axe damage, since those seem to be the best things you can be doing with the current setup. Bludgeoner-based phial builds also work nice with the high-raw Rajang CB and lets you mostly ignore sharpness and crit skills. Axe builds can go for normal crit-based setups.
There's some decent starter builds here: https://mhchargeblade.net/mhr/builds/

Whoa, Rapid Morph affects AED animations? I thought it was just the axe to sword and back animations. That's huge, will check it out.

Also didn't make the connection that Bludgeoner would boost phial damage. That's neat.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Brutal Strike procs 20% of the time on negative crit, not 25%. Unless the testing that I've seen has been wrong.

Ah, I saw a 25% number. That's a notable difference, yeah.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Rampage tickets it is then! I think online rampages are pretty fun, so this is just another reason to do them.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rapid Morph effect on SAED video.

RM is only boosting the sword to axe transition if you go through the A+X * 3 sequence, so it's very minimal speedup.

Doesn't help if you're going from axe to AED/SAED where there's no transition.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
If I want to get a talisman with WEX+2 and possibly slots, should I be doing the melding that lets you targets specific skills or the one that gives you random better charms? I've put 30 final bosses worth of materials into both and haven't gotten one yet. I'm also on the hunt for a pierce up or rapid fire up charm so even if the wisp method doesn't give wex+2, it still has value to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tender Bender posted:

You only need to play a note twice to get its effect, that's it. You only need to store one of each of the three notes to play magnificent trio. This is different than how horn has worked in prior games.

Got it. So it sounds like optimal use of HH is two of each note -> MT -> repeat.