Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Anita Dickinme posted:

Are we sure if Hoskins is actually dead? We saw Rhodey was unconscious and unresponsive when he was injured in Civil War. I understand the way Walker acted comes off that way but Tony blasted Falcon and Friday even told him that Rhodes was still alive and Tony’s a decent guy.

Walker took his pulse, and then got enraged. I doubt he'd leave him for revenge if he was injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

Walker took his pulse, and then got enraged. I doubt he'd leave him for revenge if he was injured.

Ah fair enough. I guess I missed him actually checking.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Apologies if this has been answered before, but are John and Lemar just ordinary people?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Party Boat posted:

TV taught me that we all have a balloon full of red corn syrup on the back of our heads and if you fall backwards and it pops you die

I mean... I’ve got a family member currently in the hospital who fell off their bike (while wearing a MIPS helmet!) and hit the ground in just the right way to cause a TBI, and this time last week we still weren’t sure they would survive. It was an unbelievable amount of blood from someone just flipping over the handlebars.

So yeah, if a super-soldier kicks you across the room and into a pillar and you’re just some schmuck with paintball armor on you’re gonna die.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

That must have been really scary and I hope your family member makes a full recovery. Ironically I now feel like a Big Mean Jerk for being flip about something like that.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Apologies if this has been answered before, but are John and Lemar just ordinary people?

John isn't anymore since he's bending bars into pretzels and stuff but prior to this episode he was and Lemar was as well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Party Boat posted:

That must have been really scary and I hope your family member makes a full recovery. Ironically I now feel like a Big Mean Jerk for being flip about something like that.

Oh I wasn’t trying to criticize you or anything, it’s just one of those weird instances where the kind of poo poo you’d see in tv/movies ended up being pretty close to reality. Brains are weird, you can be shot in the head and wind up (mostly) fine or just fall wrong and end up a vegetable.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Party Boat posted:

I used to be an EMT. You’re “ballon of corn syrup in my head that can pop at any moment” is fairly true.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean... I’ve got a family member currently in the hospital who fell off their bike (while wearing a MIPS helmet!) and hit the ground in just the right way to cause a TBI, and this time last week we still weren’t sure they would survive. It was an unbelievable amount of blood from someone just flipping over the handlebars.

So yeah, if a super-soldier kicks you across the room and into a pillar and you’re just some schmuck with paintball armor on you’re gonna die.

I hope they’ll be alright. One of my riding buddies was also wearing a MIPS helmet but when he went down it still split open at just around 45 MPH so the helmet definitely isn’t always going to save a rider. Alternatively I saw another friend fall off his bike going 100+ with just a helmet and got right back up with nothing worse than some road rash. It’s insane what major trama we can live through and then as you said we can just fall weird and end up a vegetable.

It’s TV so anything is possible. I didn’t think they’d kill off Battlestar so quick. I just looked him up right before I watched the episode to read what he’s all about in the comics so it really threw me off guard.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Alchenar posted:

I can't tell if it's deliberate or not that Daniel Brühl is just dominating every scene he's in. The guy needs to be given much more work.

He plays really well as Niki Lauda against Chris Hemsworth's James Hunt in Rush.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Rockstar Massacre posted:

Asking Karli for remorse is a big ask because she's essentially a civilian fighting a global regime, even with superpowers. holding her to same standard as the organization she fights or any other character is a joke because of the sheer power imbalance.

It's also why Zemo's take on her doesn't land. She got superpowers to even out an uneven fight. Ten years down the road, maybe, but today she fights dirty because the other option is 'lose'.

Same for when Sam or viewers say poo poo like 'I can't agree with your methods.' Onus is on him now to find a different way that actually works or he's no different than Walker, just more polite.

I KNEW this take would appear at some point. Newsflash on the actual text of the story: Karli hasn't been running circles around everyone because of her dirty fighting and willingness to kill, she's been doing it because she's earned loyalty from an entire community of supporters who protect her and keep her fight supplied, and she accomplished that with wealth redistribution and non-lethal force exclusively. Switching from noble methods to THE ONLY LANGUAGE THEY UNDERSTAND has accomplished nothing for her except to get one of her people killed, her serum lost, and turned someone who wanted to help her into a direct adversary because she threatened family members. Brilliant work.

Karli already found a different way that works, she abandoned it for personal reasons and its undermined her entire movement. Or at least it had undermined it until US Agent escalated in response to her escalation, and now we're on a crash course to The Troubles, Superhero Edition.

Zemo's take does land, she admits it with her own mouth, it just doesn't land completely because he looks at her and only sees an Ubermensch, in the truly Nietzschean meaning of the term, a superior being who is out to impose its morality on the world through force. Sam still sees the human being behind the powers in a way Zemo isn't capable of so he knows that's not what she really is, its just what she's letting herself become. If this show doesn't bring up Killmonger I'll be shocked, because that is EXACTLY who she's letting herself get turned into.

Its why Sam uses the exact words he does to start the process of convincing her: if you change the world by killing innocent people, even if those people are complicit in the machine you're trying to bring down, its not better, its just different.

Is that a naïve view of revolution? Yeah, even Sam basically says so, but this is a superhero story, its a morality play. If you don't want ANY naivety or optimism in how big societal issues can be addressed, go read Punisher.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Man I wish they made walker more of a patriot obsessed with the mission instead of the "man out of his league leading to resentment" they went with. USAgent from the comics would have taken that serum back to America for r and d

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

Man I wish they made walker more of a patriot obsessed with the mission instead of the "man out of his league leading to resentment" they went with. USAgent from the comics would have taken that serum back to America for r and d

Well Walker is a man of his era, he is the poster boy for the War on Terror as Steve was for WWII and the WoT soldier is a cog in the US War Machine who can easily be replaced for someone else. sam was lucky they got a man who is outta his league and not some sadistic soldier who shoots first, ask questions never

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

mastajake posted:

Did Steve die off-camera? I wouldn't expect him to be doing any action or anything, but you'd think one or both of the main characters would have consulted him at some point.
Reminds me a lot of Metal Gear Revengeance where they just side step if Snake is alive or not

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Electric Phantasm posted:

They were highly trained soldiers. John Walker was noted as being "off-the-charts" AKA near or at human maximum in a lot of ways. Figure the idea is that physically he was already at or very close to "Steve Rogers Cap" in physical ability before he took the SSS. Now that he's taken it he'll be utterly terrifying in a fight. Unless it's with Bucky in full Winter Soldier mode. Or with the Dora Milage because those ladies are Bad. loving. rear end.

I do hope we get another scene with the Ayo. One thing I noted was tha initially Sam and Bucky we fine letting John and Lemar get their asses handed to them by them Dora Milage. It was only when it seemed highly likely that the Dora were going to flat-out kill them right there that Sam and Bucky stepped in - which is what allowed Zemo to escape.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Nah walker spent most of his time punching down for us hegemony, it showed when he fought the wakandans that he’s never been in a fight with people who can hit back with precision

He is like a walking Dunning-Kruger when he enters the world of super hero’s/villains.

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 11, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone posted:

I do hope we get another scene with the Ayo. One thing I noted was tha initially Sam and Bucky we fine letting John and Lemar get their asses handed to them by them Dora Milage. It was only when it seemed highly likely that the Dora were going to flat-out kill them right there that Sam and Bucky stepped in - which is what allowed Zemo to escape.

This is one subtle point I'm glad got introduced because it really helps head off the "This show paints white people as the villains of the world!" angle that idiots like to run with. Not only do we see a bunch of black African women portrayed as basically the top rung of global power but we also see that they're just as prone to doing what Zemo was talking about and straight-up enforcing their will on everyone because they can.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

mind the walrus posted:

This is one subtle point I'm glad got introduced because it really helps head off the "This show paints white people as the villains of the world!" angle that idiots like to run with. Not only do we see a bunch of black African women portrayed as basically the top rung of global power but we also see that they're just as prone to doing what Zemo was talking about and straight-up enforcing their will on everyone because they can.

Oh, wow...it's the Myth of Wakandan Exceptionalism. I have to process that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/1381355379175653376?s=21

https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/1381358581707071491?s=21

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Mandrel posted:

Bucky rocks and id watch a whole show that’s exclusively him whipping rear end
:yeah: Especially if the other person actually knows how to fight, there's been some pretty solid fight choreography so far.

Everyone posted:

They were highly trained soldiers. John Walker was noted as being "off-the-charts" AKA near or at human maximum in a lot of ways. Figure the idea is that physically he was already at or very close to "Steve Rogers Cap" in physical ability before he took the SSS. Now that he's taken it he'll be utterly terrifying in a fight. Unless it's with Bucky in full Winter Soldier mode. Or with the Dora Milage because those ladies are Bad. loving. rear end.

Walker, and a touch of Captain America 3 stuff: I think saying Walker was near Steve before taking the serum isn't giving Steve enough credit, dude nearly stopped Bucky's helicopter from taking off with his biceps (in I think the most gratuitous shot in Civil war and that's saying something.) But Walker was as good as a regular human without any gimmicks was going to get. Which wasn't good enough.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Marsupial Ape posted:

mind the walrus posted:

Its worth noting that as far as we can tell Okoye and the others aren't there on orders. When she explains to Bucky why they want Demo, she talks about the shame the Royal Guards had to face for failing to protect Tchaka. And Tchalla was the one who gave Zemo over to the UN/Germans rather than take him to Wakanda for justice. I have a hard time imagining he (or Shuri of he's gone in universe already) ordered them to take Zemo out or bring him to Wakanda, which seems to be their aim. This is a rogue op, and just like a lot of the other characters theyre muddling issues of ideology and duty to nation/people with personal scars, leading them to do something stupid which ultimately harms the the flag they're wrapping their actions in. After all, its because they went all War On Terror Interventionism that Zemo is out of EVERYONES custody now.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Sanguinia posted:

Its worth noting that as far as we can tell Okoye and the others aren't there on orders. When she explains to Bucky why they want Demo, she talks about the shame the Royal Guards had to face for failing to protect Tchaka. And Tchalla was the one who gave Zemo over to the UN/Germans rather than take him to Wakanda for justice. I have a hard time imagining he (or Shuri of he's gone in universe already) ordered them to take Zemo out or bring him to Wakanda, which seems to be their aim. This is a rogue op, and just like a lot of the other characters theyre muddling issues of ideology and duty to nation/people with personal scars, leading them to do something stupid which ultimately harms the the flag they're wrapping their actions in. After all, its because they went all War On Terror Interventionism that Zemo is out of EVERYONES custody now.

oh, so they’re basically doing a standard CIA op? Well, isn’t that...exceptional.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Solenna posted:

Steve ... nearly stopped Bucky's helicopter from taking off with his biceps (in I think the most gratuitous shot in Civil war and that's saying something.)

My favorite trivia bit about that is that it was extremely early in shooting - maybe the first? - so that they could get Evans at his most ripped, since he'd naturally lose muscle during the shoot. Also he apparently showed from costuming wearing a jacket, and the Russos immediately went "lol no."

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Marsupial Ape posted:

oh, so they’re basically doing a standard CIA op? Well, isn’t that...exceptional.

You're not wrong, I just wanted to point it out. The muddying of the personal and the geopolitical in this show all these agents of nations/movements are doing is one of the key sources of drama, I really enjoy it

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think the only way to read what's going on is that Germany is apparently a failed state now and any armed group can just waltz in.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Alchenar posted:

I think the only way to read what's going on is that Germany is apparently a failed state now and any armed group can just waltz in.

If we're talking about FATWS they're in Latvia

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

It's not exactly unprecedented with Ayo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4rx0TF4QF0

Pretty much what happened was that American Exceptionalism ran into Wakandan Exceptionalism and found that Wakandan Exceptionalism was considerably more... exceptional.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The look that Karli gives after US Agents murder suggests she realizes that poo poo has gotten out of control and hopefully Sam and Bucky can talk her down from going full on Thanos style murder spree

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

One thing I was thinking of is that Hoskins has an easy shift in name to something actually cool if he lived but had a big visible injury he could be Battlescar, instead of Battlestar.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Everyone posted:

Pretty much what happened was that American Exceptionalism ran into Wakandan Exceptionalism and found that Wakandan Exceptionalism was considerably more... exceptional.

Wakandan Exceptionalism is just American Exceptionalism with some Vibranium rubbed on it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Marsupial Ape posted:

Wakandan Exceptionalism is just American Exceptionalism with some Vibranium rubbed on it.

At least it seems to be a minority view in their country instead of a universal axiom.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

twistedmentat posted:

The look that Karli gives after US Agents murder suggests she realizes that poo poo has gotten out of control and hopefully Sam and Bucky can talk her down from going full on Thanos style murder spree

I think Karli's biggest problem isn't so much the influence of the SSS as "being 22 or so." She does things without quite having the maturity and perspective to think things through all the way to the end. She "yoinks" the SSS from the Power Broker to "supe up" herself and friends so they can Do Something about the GRC's neglect/corruption - which makes her a formidable enemy in the Power Broker. Doing Something about the GRC attracts a lot of attention from the nations backing, especially the USA, which brings Sam (and Bucky) and then Walker and Hoskins. After the Power Broker's goons kill one of her group and the GRCs (willful?) neglect kills Mama Donya her grief and fury push her into murderous retaliation - which muddies her group's message and intensifies then hunt against them. Karli threatened Sam's sister and her kids, which caused Sam to show up at their next meeting fully kitted out of the Falcon, which he might not have done had she not threatened the sister and kids (althought that probably worked in Karli's favor because Super-Soldier John Walker would likely have torn the lot of them apart without Sam and Bucky being there). And finally her plan to smash the "flag" that was Nu-Cap when Walker showed up after taking the serum. With the death of Hoskins, Walker is now a super-powered raging killing machine bent killing Karli and anyone close to her.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Marsupial Ape posted:

You've referred to it a couple times now and I kinda get it from context but would you mind explaining I don't want to be misinterpreting it.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Everyone posted:

(althought that probably worked in Karli's favor because Super-Soldier John Walker would likely have torn the lot of them apart without Sam and Bucky being there).

This really doesn't make sense, Bucky and Sam were fighting along with Walker against the Flagsmashers for the whole battle. If Sam and Buck aren't there either the same thing happens or a few of those knives find their target and Walker dies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

twistedmentat posted:

I don't think so. What's more likely to happen is that Karli realises that she's crossed a line you can't come back from, and now there's nothing left but pursuing the path to the end no matter what it takes.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Boxman posted:

My favorite trivia bit about that is that it was extremely early in shooting - maybe the first? - so that they could get Evans at his most ripped, since he'd naturally lose muscle during the shoot. Also he apparently showed from costuming wearing a jacket, and the Russos immediately went "lol no."
as ridiculous as it was, it sure did make an impression, so no jacket was definitely the right choice.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Sanguinia posted:

I KNEW this take would appear at some point. Newsflash on the actual text of the story: Karli hasn't been running circles around everyone because of her dirty fighting and willingness to kill, she's been doing it because she's earned loyalty from an entire community of supporters who protect her and keep her fight supplied, and she accomplished that with wealth redistribution and non-lethal force exclusively. Switching from noble methods to THE ONLY LANGUAGE THEY UNDERSTAND has accomplished nothing for her except to get one of her people killed, her serum lost, and turned someone who wanted to help her into a direct adversary because she threatened family members. Brilliant work.

while there certainly is an argument that sticking with non-violence allowed them to effectively help a handful of people around them, it did nothing to actually stop the GRC from solidifying their hold or curb their abuse of power, and before Karli turned to violence Walker and the rest of the global authority were still completely intent on stopping them, almost certainly with the violence implied by state actors. So the only danger in being violent in return is that they lose their groundswell of support - which they didn't, as far as we can see.

It's already a violent conflict. Insisting the Flag Smashers curb their violence when their enemies don't is absolutely childish and the only concerns are tactical, not moral.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
There are absolutely some shots in Cap America: TWS where I pitied Chris Evans on how much work he had to do. Like he was so top heavy he looked like he should fall over.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Its Rinaldo posted:

You've referred to it a couple times now and I kinda get it from context but would you mind explaining I don't want to be misinterpreting it.

Oh, certainly! The Myth of American Exceptionalism . Basically, we be believe we can do no wrong...so we end up doing a lot of wrong poo poo and equivocating it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Rockstar Massacre posted:

while there certainly is an argument that sticking with non-violence allowed them to effectively help a handful of people around them, it did nothing to actually stop the GRC from solidifying their hold or curb their abuse of power, and before Karli turned to violence Walker and the rest of the global authority were still completely intent on stopping them, almost certainly with the violence implied by state actors. So the only danger in being violent in return is that they lose their groundswell of support - which they didn't, as far as we can see.

It's already a violent conflict. Insisting the Flag Smashers curb their violence when their enemies don't is absolutely childish and the only concerns are tactical, not moral.

In episode 3, before Karli had blown up anything, we see Walker and a fully kitted out special forces team with lots and lots of guns and a literal group of APCs breaking down doors to intimidate people who they thought were connected to the Flag Smashers. Walker all but threatens to break a restaurant(?) owner's head, if he doesn't want to talk. It takes Battlestar talking him down to get him not to assault a literal civilian while backed up by military force.

They didn't care that the flag smashers had up to then been 'just' taking supplies and running away, with a couple injured at most. They wanted the organization dead and gone, and intended to shoot them all dead if they found them.