Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I originally thought there was some sort of divided bowl situation but I guess not.

Give me some hot clam chowder and cold gazpacho, mmm that's good eatin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

redgubbinz posted:

I originally thought there was some sort of divided bowl situation but I guess not.

Give me some hot clam chowder and cold gazpacho, mmm that's good eatin

lol same combination i came up with in PYF

Aardvark! posted:

yes I'll have uhh, let's see here,

how about the gazpacho, and the clam chowder

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have a drive in a few blocks away from me that everyone loves (including me). They serve cheap burgers and stuff. My go to is 2 double cheeseburgers and jalapeno poppers. They have cheese curds, homemade root beer, broasted chicken, etc. They're closed during the cold months so it's always a big deal when they open up for the year. It's almost always packed. I had some pics myself but can't find them.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

edit: ^^Oh, makes sense.

Soup-er Position.

:golfclap:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have a drive in a few blocks away from me that everyone loves (including me). They serve cheap burgers and stuff. My go to is 2 double cheeseburgers and jalapeno poppers. They have cheese curds, homemade root beer, broasted chicken, etc. They're closed during the cold months so it's always a big deal when they open up for the year. It's almost always packed. I had some pics myself but can't find them.

noshin in nosha

maybe ill go to the dispensary in mundelein and then stop there on the way back in

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

20 Blunts posted:

noshin in nosha

maybe ill go to the dispensary in mundelein and then stop there on the way back in

:doit:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I want some of those little hot dogs with meat sauce and onion so goddamn badly. Mustard too. Start at 10 and keep ordering more until I can't get up.

I could make them myself but it's just not the same.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

redgubbinz posted:

I want some of those little hot dogs with meat sauce and onion so goddamn badly. Mustard too. Start at 10 and keep ordering more until I can't get up.

I could make them myself but it's just not the same.

Coney dogs own and are the supreme form of the dawg :blastu:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

uber_stoat posted:

aah, the after church meal. i'm not religious these days but i always looked forward to that as a kid. our spot was this proto-Cracker Barrel place called Po' Folks. southern food. it closed down a bajillion years ago but i am shocked to learn that there are still locations in operation. i remember really liking the biscuits.

If I saw a menu with that combination of Hobo font and lovely writing, I'd just get up and leave.

ed: "In the 1980s, Burt's (Reynolds, the movie star) business manager convinced him to invest in a chain of family-style country restaurants called "Po' Folks". It actually wasn't a terrible idea on paper. The chain was doing well financially and had the backing of what seemed to be a strong parent company. So Burt and a partner, who ran a country music label in Nashville, bought a few franchises. Ok, maybe not a few. They bought 30.

As it turned out, Burt and his partner were sold somewhat of a lemon. The parent company was a disaster and customers hated the food. To make matters worse, Burt and his partner were absentee owners. Burt had his film career and the partner was busy making music back in Nashville. They just weren't around to run the machine so everything suffered.

They hired a consultant to help get them out of the business, but somehow this "expert" actually convinced the two to invest in ANOTHER (different) chain of restaurants. Burt would later concede that this move took what could have been a $5-6 million write-off, and turned it into a $20-30 million loss for both men. To make matters especially bad, Burt had guaranteed the restaurant leases personally, as opposed to protecting himself with an LLC. So every month he bled money. It was bad.

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/celebrity-homes/the-absolutely-insane-1996-bankruptcy-of-burt-reynolds/

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 10, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Aardvark! posted:

lol same combination i came up with in PYF

Great minds think alike, though fools seldom differ.

Hah hah got you with a zinger there!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That "Da Kine" bail bonds is legit and not a NYC marketing thing. Da kine is Hawaiian pidgin and that place is in Hawaii.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I went to this place called Curly's Chicken House in Elmira NY, where I'd gone to visit Mark Twain's grave. Depressing town, depressing restaurant. I got the Special not knowing what is was and it turned out to be this lake of yellow chicken goo over a piece of white bread. Not bad. Maybe it wasn't white bread I'm not sure. This was half a decade ago.

I bet there's lots of good pictures of that place on the internet.

Soulkys
Sep 7, 2008

The beast of Tanagra

uber_stoat posted:

i would like the marketing guy who came up with this one to sit down and explain his thought process. i want to understand.

I was wondering why this soup was so familiar, then I remembered going out into the beautiful muddy waters of the Gulf of Mexico :allears:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Big Beef City posted:

It means he was (probably drunkenly and half-mistakenly) told that if he tried to get into a motorcycle gang in that area that this person (and others) would beat him half to death or further.

The fact that he was told this while randomly having a piss in a bar means that the dude who said it was probably lit as gently caress and just bullshitting OR thought he was someone else who'd been going around trying to get patched in and they didn't want them to, or a blurry mix of both.

You said it better than I could, I think the guy was tweaking hard and mistook me for someone else. The silly to me part is I have multiple family members and former coworkers 3 piece patched into several MC's, in fact when I jokingly relayed the story to one of them they got really agitated about it, and asked about what club/colors the guy was running and for a description. I was 5 beers in when the urinal convo happened so I didn't really take notice, so that was kinda a dead end. When my aunt died suddenly a few years ago, there were more cuts at the funeral than there were formal mourning clothes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Would.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Big Beef City posted:

It means he was (probably drunkenly and half-mistakenly) told that if he tried to get into a motorcycle gang in that area that this person (and others) would beat him half to death or further.

The fact that he was told this while randomly having a piss in a bar means that the dude who said it was probably lit as gently caress and just bullshitting OR thought he was someone else who'd been going around trying to get patched in and they didn't want them to, or a blurry mix of both.

ah ok thanks

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

spookykid posted:

Koots is the kinda bar where if you take of your underclothes in a small sub-bar, you get a free (super gross) drink and you get them stapled to the wall or the ceiling. Funny part was that weird little nook used to have the cleanest bathroom in the (sprawling firetrap) building.

E: That's at least 40 years of underclothes.

Koots is the only bar I've ever been kicked out of. That was a fun night.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

BigHead posted:

Koots is the only bar I've ever been kicked out of. That was a fun night.

Getting 86'ed from Koots for (falling asleep, annoying a waitress, annoying an amusing bouncer in the wrong way, etc) "accidently" is like a right of passage up in the biggest 49th-state city. Getting 86'ed from the the Buckaroo takes a lot harder gumption. This will involve you getting thrown ~15ft out the door, your pants will still be intact, but your belt might not.

If the entirety of the Buckaroo hates you they'll help throw you the distance.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 11, 2021

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I'd love to go to some far away country and see if theres a Canadian food restaurant.
"We serve aboot the best poutine this side of Montreal EH"?

https://www.mollydookerscafe.com/about-us

One half of the owners claim to be Canadian, and that they both lived in Canada for 8 years before moving to Australia and opening their restaurant. I need to visit, looks like it's aboot 8 and a half hours away, eh.

This thread is clearly for Americana. Maybe we need an offshoot for other country-ana. For Australiana and Canadiana I should be able to dig up a few examples.

I saw a Perkin's restaurant sign in a few pictures. Years ago I drove from Ontario down to Florida. On the way back we stayed at a hotel in Hershey, PA that had a Perkin's next door. At the front till they had a display case full of pies, I love that you can still (I assume) get a simple slice of pie of your choice with a scoop of ice cream and a coffee and sit at the counter. Classic. I wish I had a photo.

On the first night going south we stayed at some motel in Dayton, OH. In the morning as we were packing up to head out, a young man, clearly drunk, told us how he'd signed up for the army and was going to basic training in about half an hour, waiting in that parking lot for the local recruiter to pick him up. He seemed to have mixed feelings about his life choices. Also, we noticed that most of the people we met in southern OH had strong southern accents, as stereotypically southern as anything we heard in Georgia.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Don't let silly things like borders fool you, southern Ohio is actually northern Kentucky.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

zedprime posted:

Don't let silly things like borders fool you, southern Ohio is actually northern Kentucky.

Probably the same system glitch that put part of Texas slap between British Columbia and Saskatchewan.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
just got recommended a product im almost positive I came up with as a joke in GBS recently, maybe even this thread

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
chranch.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Aardvark! posted:

just got recommended a product im almost positive I came up with as a joke in GBS recently, maybe even this thread

Ok this isn't a bad idea, every year for xmas and thanksgiving I make a cheeseball and it's basically the same thing but more creamcheese and almond.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ok this isn't a bad idea, every year for xmas and thanksgiving I make a cheeseball and it's basically the same thing but more creamcheese and almond.

yeah these things own

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

It sucks so much that awesome food has calories. wtf God

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Good lord what is that

E:. Is that one of those almond cheese ball things from the 70's or whatever?
Why does it look like it has a full BITE taken from it?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Big Beef City posted:

Good lord what is that

They are good as gently caress

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm native to a place that deep fries cheese.

I'm telling you that is excessive.
Let that sink in.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Big Beef City posted:

Let that sink in.

you don't have to eat the whole thing at once. this may surprise you

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Big Beef City posted:

Let that sink in.

whoa, can't believe this guy lives somewhere that has mozzarella sticks

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Dude if you’re gonna go after the mother of Horus you’re gonna need more than a pair of over/under bird shotguns

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
At least one of these is <10 years old

Bonus to help you put it all together

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jesus christ. Mayo and cream cheese jello. I am truly disgusted, thank god the trend of jello-fying everything died out.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Construction-grade mayonnaise

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No thanks, my physiotherapist put me on light duty mayonnaise until I'm fully healed.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bouillon Rube posted:

Construction-grade mayonnaise

Tuna Stucco > Tuna Salad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LifeSunDeath posted:

Poke a hole in it and go full Kai Greene on it, because Kai is also americana.