Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grevlek posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/732050/Voxel_Tycoon/

Seems right up the thread's alley. Anyone have any first impressions?

Oh jesus that looks great :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bloodly posted:

Does anyone here know anything about 'The Colonists'?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/677340/The_Colonists/

It's fun. The robots and the things they move around are adorable. There is a fixed quest path that you work through, but there is also free play, as well as monthly challenges I enjoy it. The most tedious part is tinkering the sea routes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Grevlek posted:

Its not out yet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Qubee posted:

When you try to demolish a building a popup with a red cross and a green check comes up, I can click neither of them. No controller or hotkeys or any of that other stuff, and I've got a monitor at 2560x1440, but I didn't find resolution options in the settings anywhere, so I just used Alt+Enter to go fullscreen.

I've noticed some oddness on some resolutions. Try 1920x1080, I've been playing with that so I know that works.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Volmarias posted:

I've noticed some oddness on some resolutions. Try 1920x1080, I've been playing with that so I know that works.

I can't even find the resolution settings ingame.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Grevlek posted:

*yoink* wishlisted

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Qubee posted:

I can't even find the resolution settings ingame.

You should launch into a config app when you start the program from steam (or whichever)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

explosivo posted:

Oh jesus that looks great :negative:

Yeah if that is remotely good it's going to end me

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Ambaire posted:

Alright, well, here's a quick tutorial for any new Factorio players who want to enable blueprints and importing strings from the very beginning.

1. Launch the game once and then exit.
  2. Open Windows Explorer.
  3. Type the following into the address bar and press enter: %appdata%/factorio
  4. Open the player-data.json file in notepad (or notepad ++ if you have it)
  5. Press Ctrl-F to open the Find dialog
  6. Search for: "shortcut-bar" and press enter
  7. Press Ctrl-H to open the Replace dialog
  8. In "Find what", put false. In "Replace with", put true.
  9. Replace the false entries in the undo, copy, cut, paste, import-string, give-blueprint, give-blueprint-book, give-deconstruction-planner, and give-upgrade-planner sections.
  10. Save and close the file.
  11. All done! Launch Factorio and enjoy your new blueprint madness.

In the game, you can just open the console with either ~ or / and type: "/unlock-shortcut-bar" then Enter.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone playing Final Upgrade? Thoughts?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mayveena posted:

I think this came up in here a while back when it first hit steam but don't recall hearing much about it. I have it wishlisted but have been waiting on it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Weird you post this exact question on the day I start playing it. Played a few versions back and it was irritating due to lack of QoL features, but dev is super active and listens to the community, made a bunch of things more streamlined so building stations and ships isn't such a nightmare anymore. I don't know how expensive it is in your country, but where I am it costs the same as two coffees. Well worth the price imo, I'm enjoying it as a time waster and chill game.

It's fun designing stations and ships to do what you want them to do, and managing all the logistics stuff is rewarding. I haven't yet pissed off the AI to the point where we go to war, but I'm interested to see how that is. Play the experimental version and I think you'll have fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh god I just saw that Update 4 for satisfactory has been on the test branch for a month now and has stuff like drones and jetpacks and ziplines and gasses and a bunch of other QOL stuff that seems fantastic. Might have to start up another game of Satisfactory :sigh:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

explosivo posted:

Oh god I just saw that Update 4 for satisfactory has been on the test branch for a month now and has stuff like drones and jetpacks and ziplines and gasses and a bunch of other QOL stuff that seems fantastic. Might have to start up another game of Satisfactory :sigh:

It'll be coming to the stable branch in the next couple of days, if you'd rather wait for that. But yeah it's pretty great.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tenebrais posted:

It'll be coming to the stable branch in the next couple of days, if you'd rather wait for that. But yeah it's pretty great.

Awesome, I was just looking for this info. I'll definitely be holding off until it reaches stable in that case.

Edit: I got some Astroneering in and the new stuff they added to it is great but the research system feels bloated as hell now that there's tons and tons of fiddly automation bits listed in there. Like flipping through that little tablet made sense when the game launched but they've added so much to it that it feels too simple. It's a good problem to have but makes it annoying to deal with.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 13, 2021

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

explosivo posted:

Awesome, I was just looking for this info. I'll definitely be holding off until it reaches stable in that case.

Ah! When I said the next couple of days I should have said the next couple of hours. It's out now. Have fun!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tenebrais posted:

Ah! When I said the next couple of days I should have said the next couple of hours. It's out now. Have fun!

fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Qubee posted:

Weird you post this exact question on the day I start playing it. Played a few versions back and it was irritating due to lack of QoL features, but dev is super active and listens to the community, made a bunch of things more streamlined so building stations and ships isn't such a nightmare anymore. I don't know how expensive it is in your country, but where I am it costs the same as two coffees. Well worth the price imo, I'm enjoying it as a time waster and chill game.

It's fun designing stations and ships to do what you want them to do, and managing all the logistics stuff is rewarding. I haven't yet pissed off the AI to the point where we go to war, but I'm interested to see how that is. Play the experimental version and I think you'll have fun.

Alrighty I'll give it a shot this week, thanks!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm at this weird spot in Satisfactory where my old factory is definitely further than I've ever been in this game so far, working on Tier 6 stuff, but I stopped playing around here because I was starting to get frustrated with inefficiencies and didn't want to rip everything up. That said, the thought of starting over from scratch and working my way up to this point is kind of daunting as well. The new poo poo seems to be in Tier 7-8 so I might just see if I can pick up this old save and press on because I really want to see these new features.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

explosivo posted:

The new poo poo seems to be in Tier 7-8 so I might just see if I can pick up this old save and press on because I really want to see these new features.

Yeah, I'd recommend this. You don't even have to tear up your old factories; there's enough resources around the world map to just start over somewhere else with all your existing unlocks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah, I'd recommend this. You don't even have to tear up your old factories; there's enough resources around the world map to just start over somewhere else with all your existing unlocks.

Yeah I just checked in and it'll be way easier figuring out where I left off last time than getting to this point from nothing. I thought the same thing, if I really wanted to I could start over somewhere on the map but eh

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the big change happens right at the end of the production trees so you might be able to get away with just dismantling a section of your factory and being good to go.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
God I can never do that with these kinds of games. I'll fire up an old save and stare at the eldritch nightmare I created and then just start over because *what the gently caress*. Reminds me of finding my old university notes a few years after I left. Apparently I once understood all that stuff!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

HopperUK posted:

God I can never do that with these kinds of games. I'll fire up an old save and stare at the eldritch nightmare I created and then just start over because *what the gently caress*. Reminds me of finding my old university notes a few years after I left. Apparently I once understood all that stuff!

Normally I'm 100% with you but the early game in Satisfactory feels way slower than Factorio for some reason. It'll take me like 10-20 hours (or more) to get caught up from scratch, most of which I've already done two or three times before, or a couple hours getting re-acquainted with everything and remembering what I was in the middle of doing before and carrying on from there.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

explosivo posted:

Normally I'm 100% with you but the early game in Satisfactory feels way slower than Factorio for some reason. It'll take me like 10-20 hours (or more) to get caught up from scratch, most of which I've already done two or three times before, or a couple hours getting re-acquainted with everything and remembering what I was in the middle of doing before and carrying on from there.

The progression in Satisfactory is for sure a lot slower than other factory games.

There's a savegame editor which is robust enough that someone in the thread was able to copy a base which consisted of like 80k individual items, rotate it and move it over slightly because they had run into the edge of the map hitbox, so you could probably use that to delete everything player-made from a save where you've filled your pockets with useful equipment and gear, and packed up your HUB as well.

Alternately, work out which end of the map you're on and head 2-3 kilometers away, then scan for ores until you find a likely spot for a fresh factory (each of the other three starting areas is out there on the map, there are plenty of locations to start fresh with nothing but trousers full of concrete and a dream!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Alternately, somehow store your entire base in 10 chests and rebuild it better like I do every time I realize I hosed up. (Often)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not too bad in satisfactory since you can really stack up those shipping containers

iirc I left my base in a pretty reasonable state (assuming having the entire factory in a skyscraper is reasonable). Wonder how far away any nuclear resources will be

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Are there any modern space games out there where you build up a mining empire? It’s hard to describe what I’m looking for but something with good graphics and where you can mine and trade and create a corporation and it’s not Eve online lol?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

Are there any modern space games out there where you build up a mining empire? It’s hard to describe what I’m looking for but something with good graphics and where you can mine and trade and create a corporation and it’s not Eve online lol?

Maybe the new X4: Foundations? Its still extremely hard to break into, but it does kind of satisfy what you're looking for if you squint a little.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Maybe the new X4: Foundations? Its still extremely hard to break into, but it does kind of satisfy what you're looking for if you squint a little.

Was going to suggest this. It's a combination of logistics / economics / number go up, and space combat. I've been putting a bunch of time into it, if you do get it I HIGHLY recommend the improved explosions mod. The gameplay mod ones can probably wait a while.

Do note you do start extremely small thing, so unless you use a cheat mod to start with a bunch of money, you probably want to do some of the missions to get some cash to buy trade ships.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't that final upgrade game mentioned a few posts back also that style?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Grevlek posted:

annoyingly excited to play this game, is anyone planning on getting tomorrow? if not I'll probably bite the bullet and pay my early access entry fee to give it a shot

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Starsector, driving can't type

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Disappointing Pie posted:

X4 Foundations might be worth looking into but a few semi obscure alternatives might be Avorion (a sandbox space game kinda like X4 but less detailed and you build the ships out of blocks with varying degrees of intricateness... or just download poo poo off the workshop) or Astrox Imperium (which is kinda like "EVE Offline")

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

KirbyKhan posted:

Starsector, driving can't type

Don't post and drive!!!!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

X4 Foundations might be worth looking into but a few semi obscure alternatives might be Avorion (a sandbox space game kinda like X4 but less detailed and you build the ships out of blocks with varying degrees of intricateness... or just download poo poo off the workshop) or Astrox Imperium (which is kinda like "EVE Offline")

FWIW I've gotten both of them and found them to be incredibly dull and lifeless at the end of the day. Good on the Astrox dev for making their dream game but I just cannot stay engaged

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah I looked into Astrox a while back and it definitely seemed very EVE Offline, so I'm not surprised it ultimately is kinda dull (if you find EVE dull, at least).

Honestly I've been playing X4 lately and really struggling with it, part of it is just being too used to X3's different kind of Jank. That and maybe I just don't have the patience for X-series Jank anymore. I wish there was a better alternative out there.

[edit] I'll say this though, X4 has a great soundtrack, just like the X3 games.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 15, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think Astrox is gonna be a real good game in like 2025.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Sweeper posted:

annoyingly excited to play this game, is anyone planning on getting tomorrow? if not I'll probably bite the bullet and pay my early access entry fee to give it a shot

I'm really interested in what you think if you do pick it up. I'm trying to no longer buy EA stuff, so I likely won't grab it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah I looked into Astrox a while back and it definitely seemed very EVE Offline, so I'm not surprised it ultimately is kinda dull (if you find EVE dull, at least).

Honestly I've been playing X4 lately and really struggling with it, part of it is just being too used to X3's different kind of Jank. That and maybe I just don't have the patience for X-series Jank anymore. I wish there was a better alternative out there.

[edit] I'll say this though, X4 has a great soundtrack, just like the X3 games.

As someone who just started playing Eve online again, this is in my cart right now.

Also, if anyone in this thread in specific wants to play carebear eve in space outside of goonfleet, let a fella know.