Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

I was asked for WinCE drivers the other day!

we have dozens of winCE terminals at work. they're used for scanning inventory and updating our ERP via an ssh session

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

how do you feel about this take

linux is a genius make-work project designed to extract money from capital

i think that makes a lot more sense than anything else

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
On the other hand, no

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

matti posted:

wow cool

so when's it going to start doing that

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

matti posted:

that's a pretty good one!!

mystes
May 31, 2006

matti posted:

Not so genius when you compare it to discord, huh?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah lol it actively helps capital.. for free.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

free? sorry if you aren't paid for the bullshit

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

what in the gently caress is that avatar

they have the best av actually

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i changed it back when i was still probed last night and in under an hour someone changed it again, while the only way they could've known i changed it back was by manually looking at my profile

so either it's a massive coincidence or someone was spam refreshing my profile
lmao

pram
Jun 10, 2001
hbad (poster)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
wsl2 whips rear end, i've been using it for all my personal dev work after realizing how much faster my gaming desktop is than my work macbook (in retrospect: duh)

the one problem with it is its a vm-rear end vm so you need a lotta ram. i've been contemplating getting a windows laptop for my next portable dev box, maybe even some kind of quirky tablet thing now that ive gotten into Weird Keyboards and am gonna be that rear end in a top hat at the coffee shop with a trackball and a split kb deafening three tables around me. problem is that for wsl2 it seems like i'd need 16 gigs of ram minimum and everyone still wants to charge outrageous prices for that in a laptop even though its stupid cheap on desktop, for as far as i can tell no other reason than "it's soldered on" and "gently caress you"

i have considered the only other practical solution for desktop linux on laptops - chromebooks - but feel slightly worse about being tied to google's poo poo than i do microsoft's

i guess people run linux on those system76 laptops (which sound like they have nightmarish build quality) and whatever subset of thinkpads are still good but every time i see someone talking about how much they love using linux on their laptop they also like wind up having written blog posts about how they recompiled the kernel to get their bluetooth stack to work

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
just use an x1 carbon. yeah they're relatively expensive but you get what you pay for.

watch out for the 4k screens though, they have some weird setup where the panel is monochrome and the backlight strobes RGB. or something like that. i see dlp flicker whenever my eyes move. the pixels are literally too small for me to be able to make out anything about their subpixel structure with the naked eye so that's my best guess as to what's going on.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Bluetooth is probably always gonna be rear end in Linux. I've just come to accept it. Every few years I revisit it, thinking surely it's gotta be solved by now, but no, it's still trash.

For work I use whatever Thinkpad my boss found a few years back and, aside from bluetooth, I have no complaints using Ubuntu. For personal stuff I've used Dells for years with no problems. Really I can't say that I've had issues with Ubuntu on any standard consumer laptop, most hardware just works (* except bluetooth)

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

shoeberto posted:

Bluetooth is probably always gonna be rear end in Linux. I've just come to accept it. Every few years I revisit it, thinking surely it's gotta be solved by now, but no, it's still trash.

For work I use whatever Thinkpad my boss found a few years back and, aside from bluetooth, I have no complaints using Ubuntu. For personal stuff I've used Dells for years with no problems. Really I can't say that I've had issues with Ubuntu on any standard consumer laptop, most hardware just works (* except bluetooth)

there exists no platform where bluetooth isn't trash

bluez is actually the top of the heap

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

only thing keeping bluez from the bottom of the heap is bluedroid.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The_Franz posted:

bluez is actually the top of the heap

its actually fine on desktop operating systems (macos, windows)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shoeberto posted:

which is weird because android is linux

bluez is fine... to program with

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Bluetooth on Linux works just like Bluetooth on anything else, the problem is Bluetooth is terrible

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the only platforms where bluetooth isn't a shitshow are Apple platforms because every Apple product in the past decade has come with a working Bluetooth radio

meanwhile over in PC land you have a wide variety of Chinese no-name counterfeits clones that work if you hotplug them a few times to get the timing just right during their initialization sequence

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anyway if you want to see a real shitshow use a USB cellular modem on Linux that isn’t running cdc-ecm and running a web server for configuration

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

The_Franz posted:

xtal posted:

Bluetooth on Linux works just like Bluetooth on anything else, the problem is Bluetooth is terrible

Come on, ridiculous "but Apple works" praise, some of us have used Macs and iPhones plenty too.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pram posted:

its actually fine on desktop operating systems (macos, windows)

lol the windows bluetooth stack is the worst of all

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah I have a bt headset and always dial into calls from my iPhone instead of pairing it with windows

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

wsl2 whips rear end, i've been using it for all my personal dev work after realizing how much faster my gaming desktop is than my work macbook (in retrospect: duh)

the one problem with it is its a vm-rear end vm so you need a lotta ram. i've been contemplating getting a windows laptop for my next portable dev box, maybe even some kind of quirky tablet thing now that ive gotten into Weird Keyboards and am gonna be that rear end in a top hat at the coffee shop with a trackball and a split kb deafening three tables around me. problem is that for wsl2 it seems like i'd need 16 gigs of ram minimum and everyone still wants to charge outrageous prices for that in a laptop even though its stupid cheap on desktop, for as far as i can tell no other reason than "it's soldered on" and "gently caress you"

i have considered the only other practical solution for desktop linux on laptops - chromebooks - but feel slightly worse about being tied to google's poo poo than i do microsoft's

i guess people run linux on those system76 laptops (which sound like they have nightmarish build quality) and whatever subset of thinkpads are still good but every time i see someone talking about how much they love using linux on their laptop they also like wind up having written blog posts about how they recompiled the kernel to get their bluetooth stack to work

lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hbag posted:

a gift from fyad you ungrateful little poo poo

nah ive already prepared a new av im just waiting until i find all my gangtag links and also convince myself that spending 5 dollars on a jpeg isnt a bad financial decision (spending money on jpegs....... history is a flat circle...,.,.,..,,..,,..)

I would have never guessed you were from fyad

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
normally, chomebook is fine for only the most rudimentary laptop usage. if you're gonna do actual work, just get a real linux that doesn't put a bunch of lovely barriers between you and the world in the name of ~user friendliness~

e: chomebook-samus was a real good machine tho. 2560x1700 screen, 16gb ram, i7 in a nice 12" package. mine died and i have no idea what to buy now i don't wanna go back to 16:9

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

akadajet posted:

I would have never guessed you were from fyad

im not i posted there a handful of times

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Truga posted:

normally, chomebook is fine for only the most rudimentary laptop usage. if you're gonna do actual work, just get a real linux and ssh into it

fyp

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That's far too many

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

even the ssh client on chomebook is a piece of poo poo. i gave it an honest try and it's just plain bad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yikes, does that mean the mba is the best ssh client laptop?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Truga posted:

even the ssh client on chomebook is a piece of poo poo. i gave it an honest try and it's just plain bad

yeah its some horrific html/js thing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
if you actually only need a decent ssh client, you can get a barely used thinkpad for $400 and it runs just about any distro you like and linux+keep rear end does ssh better than any alternative, in my experience

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
if you need a ssh client get a cheap RPI lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
rpi doesn't come in laptop form with keyboard and screen, unfortunately. also running a browser on a rpi is poo poo, and a bunch of appliances are only accessible over http these days until you enable ssh for some reason.

it'd be a decent solution otherwise

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
rpi400 comes with/is a keyboard. just get a small hdmi screen for it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

some good ironyposting going on here to demonstrate to the op how good they have it with their good existing wsl2 solution

mystes
May 31, 2006

You could buy some lovely 20 year old thinkpad or you could just by some cheap acer laptop that will run linux perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

if you need a ssh client get a cheap RPI lol

not exactly something road friendly

it’s been over a decade since I’ve run Linux on a laptop bare metal, does power management actually work? like, MacBook work, not windows running chrome work