Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

L&O is a portrayal of a specific moment in history or culture, you’re absolutely right - and you do have characters being pro or con in general.

The problem is that sometimes the entirety of that specific moment has just aged so badly that the entire concept feels incredibly outdated. Then, the format makes it become really fuckin preachy, like MADD for adults or something.

Like I’m watching the 20th season of the mothership and there’s a big thing in one episode about Van Buren doing medical marijuana to help her out with chemo. “I can’t do that, I’m a cop, I raised you my son better than that” and then she does it anyway and she gets caught by the Chief of Detectives oh no - and he hands her breath mints, gives her a hookup and tells her to make sure she showers before going into work after lighting up. No one actually cares inside the show, and as a policy thing medical marijuana for exactly that use is incredibly common now. But because the show is being so heavy-handed about it it’s only good acting that saves it from being incredibly painful just 11 years later.

You know what else hasn’t aged well? McCoy sleeping with literally all his attractive female assistants. Drop that poo poo (which IS in the court records from that episode Robinette as defense uses it to blow up a case in front of Judge Jamie Ross) and McCoy gets #MeTooed into oblivion.

Even in vanilla, they’re pretty ashamed of going hard right post-9/11 and end up trying to swerve back hard, sending up Arthur Branch as a conservative dinosaur and having an episode where McCoy puts the US government on trial for Abu Ghraib.

Stone was a much better character than McCoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arivia posted:

You know what else hasn’t aged well? McCoy sleeping with literally all his attractive female assistants. Drop that poo poo (which IS in the court records from that episode Robinette as defense uses it to blow up a case in front of Judge Jamie Ross) and McCoy gets #MeTooed into oblivion.

I thought Claire Kincaid is the only one on the show he actually slept with, although they make it clear he also did with two or three previous ones (One being Edie Falco’s recurring defense character and another ends up as a defendant, IIRC) before his character joins the show. AFAIK, doesn’t sleep with any of them after Claire, with most of them shown or stated to be in other relationships, with a few mentions of Ross setting up McCoy with one of her friends and I think recurring mention of him going out with some history teacher at one point later on.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Who the gently caress is screaming "watch MASH" at my house?

Back in the day, we had one commercial television station. The guide in the newspaper often wasn't accurate and they'd fill in empty time slots with either MASH or Happy Days.

So you'd tune in hoping to see what was in the TV guide like the football match-of-the-round or some cool movie like Rick Moranis Little Shop of Horrors only to see two loving helicopters and have your hopes dashed.

30+ years later if I hear the opening the bars of 'Suicide is Painless' or 'Sunday, Monday, Happy Days......' I still think ah gently caress, turn it off.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Pocket Billiards posted:

Back in the day, we had one commercial television station. The guide in the newspaper often wasn't accurate and they'd fill in empty time slots with either MASH or Happy Days.

In Boston if there was a rain delay to the Red Sox games either MASH or Family Ties was coming on.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pocket Billiards posted:

So you'd tune in hoping to see what was in the TV guide like the football match-of-the-round or some cool movie like Rick Moranis Little Shop of Horrors only to see two loving helicopters and have your hopes dashed.

30+ years later if I hear the opening the bars of 'Suicide is Painless' or 'Sunday, Monday, Happy Days......' I still think ah gently caress, turn it off.

Lol same. That's my biggest memory of MASH, just those first few seconds of the intro when I was hoping something else would be coming on.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Bet you'd have felt differently if you had the action figures.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sunswipe posted:

Goddamn the one of BJ looks just like him and the others are awful.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sunswipe posted:

i never know they made a Sandi Toksvig action figure

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Sunswipe posted:

Winchester looks like Bob Hoskins. Also those own.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hawkeye looks like Matt Gaetz. Those toys rule, though--especially for the 70s.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Pocket Billiards posted:

It was like the last thing before sign-offs so to this day if I even think about that song I get sleepy

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mooseontheloose posted:

In Boston if there was a rain delay to the Red Sox games either MASH or Family Ties was coming on.

They used to do that in Australia decades ago if the cricket was rained out or finished early.

Nowadays they just show replays of old games from the 90s 2000s

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm glad I'm not the only one with childhood memories of hoping something good was coming on only to be sorely disappointed by the opening of suicide is painless.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think we've accidentally unearthed a weird piece of Millennial arcana because yeah, I had the exact same experience as a kid.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

They used to do that in Australia decades ago if the cricket was rained out or finished early.

Nowadays they just show replays of old games from the 90s 2000s

off of this, things that haven't aged well in the United States: regional sports networks. Took out flavor of local tv and now what we are left with is incomplete networks that show a little bit of sports and like 14 hours of coverage about the one team they cover.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

off of this, things that haven't aged well in the United States: regional sports networks. Took out flavor of local tv and now what we are left with is incomplete networks that show a little bit of sports and like 14 hours of coverage about the one team they cover.

Also due to changes of ownership and disputes with cable companies, Roku, etc., many people can’t even watch their RSNs these days.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rodbeard posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one with childhood memories of hoping something good was coming on only to be sorely disappointed by the opening of suicide is painless.

It's cool that the kid who wrote the lyrics got mad money compared to his dad who directed the movie.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think MASH came on at like 5:30am for me, right before Dragon Ball Z, so I caught the last 3 minutes of a lot of episodes. I had no idea what it was about, just another boring grown up show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mind the walrus posted:

I think we've accidentally unearthed a weird piece of Millennial arcana because yeah, I had the exact same experience as a kid.

It actually makes a lot of sense, MASH ended in 1983, after being the biggest thing on TV for 9 years. "Off-hours" TV back then seemed to be filled more with reruns and movies, so every channel probably had MASH reruns laying around.

We just sorta went through a sitcom Renaissance in the years post-mash, so it got more and more diluted as the years went on. Whatever the big popular sitcom was at it's peak or just ended would become the New Mash. I know for a time it was Cheers, and then Friends. I think the big difference now is that instead of having blocks of reruns or movies on a Saturday afternoon, you just get infomercials for Car Shield, so it's not quite as played out. Not to mention the current MASH should be the Big Bang Theory :barf:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Prince Philip aged like poo poo.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I think MASH came on at like 5:30am for me, right before Dragon Ball Z, so I caught the last 3 minutes of a lot of episodes. I had no idea what it was about, just another boring grown up show.

Same, but Black Sheep Squadron and ThunderCats.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Prince Philip aged like poo poo.

Not anymore.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

It actually makes a lot of sense, MASH ended in 1983, after being the biggest thing on TV for 9 years. "Off-hours" TV back then seemed to be filled more with reruns and movies, so every channel probably had MASH reruns laying around.

We just sorta went through a sitcom Renaissance in the years post-mash, so it got more and more diluted as the years went on. Whatever the big popular sitcom was at it's peak or just ended would become the New Mash. I know for a time it was Cheers, and then Friends. I think the big difference now is that instead of having blocks of reruns or movies on a Saturday afternoon, you just get infomercials for Car Shield, so it's not quite as played out. Not to mention the current MASH should be the Big Bang Theory :barf:

It was always shown here in the slot just before the news. Weird thing was they would alternate between MASH for a few months and then and more recent sitcoms for a few months. Sitcoms like Perfect Strangers, Fresh Prince of Belair, The Nanny, eventually the Simpsons and Seinfeld.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I watched a youtube video about Carmen Sandiego and I did not remember Rockapella doing so many black accents.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

rodbeard posted:

I watched a youtube video about Carmen Sandiego and I did not remember Rockapella doing so many black accents.

An incredible amount of shows have far fewer voice actors than characters, with even main character dialogue often being the same person talking to themselves.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I am doubleposting this here from the movie chat because well, its not about movies:

On Ozark season 1 I had constant problem with the Langmores and how Martin handles that situation; some not-connected local hick crime family keeps trying to steal cartel money he is trying to launder and being a constant thorn on his operation, and the cartel just sits on their thumbs and do nothing about it. Nobody actually seemed to care about the Langmores, and the local law enforcement would have probably just been glad that they disappeared. Even if it was with a acid tank treatment, and their camp just burning away.

Cartels known for killing people over one missing package now do not care about their half-a billion operation? Yeah, right. And when the cartel in Season 2 actually *did* an intervention, it was about something completely different. So why did they not care about things earlier, even if the entire thing was more or less a trial run to redeem earlier losses? We are still talking about barrels full of money.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Apr 9, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

An incredible amount of shows have far fewer voice actors than characters, with even main character dialogue often being the same person talking to themselves.

Maurice LaMarche did an absurd number of voices in The Critic iirc

And one of the Dawn of War games has Steven Jay Blum talk to Steven Jay Blum about how they need to go kill Steven Jay Blum

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

I am doubleposting this here from the movie chat because well, its not about movies:

On Ozark season 1 I had constant problem with the Langmores and how Martin handles that situation; some not-connected local hick crime family keeps trying to steal cartel money he is trying to launder and being a constant thorn on his operation, and the cartel just sits on their thumbs and do nothing about it. Nobody actually seemed to care about the Langmores, and the local law enforcement would have probably just been glad that they disappeared. Even if it was with a acid tank treatment, and their camp just burning away.

Cartels known for killing people over one missing package now do not care about their half-a billion operation? Yeah, right. And when the cartel in Season 2 actually *did* an intervention, it was about something completely different. So why did they not care about things earlier, even if the entire thing was more or less a trial run to redeem earlier losses? We are still talking about barrels full of money.

Do the Cartel even know about the Langmores in S1? I thought at the time they were stealing Marty's money he was still trying to get his operation set up - if he went running to his boss that poo poo had gone wrong they'd be just as likely to decide he wasn't worth the risk of exposure and then he'd end up in a barrel too.

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Len posted:

Maurice LaMarche did an absurd number of voices in The Critic iirc

And one of the Dawn of War games has Steven Jay Blum talk to Steven Jay Blum about how they need to go kill Steven Jay Blum

Taking this sort of thing to its natural conclusion, here’s a short cartoon where the Joker (Mark Hamill) and Trickster (Mark Hamill) kidnap Mark Hamill (Mark Hamill), only to be foiled by...well, you get the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-VHe_4GmE

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Given what happened to the rest of his co-stars (variously, nothing, drug problems, being Harrison Ford) getting in that car accident may well be one of the best things to ever happen to Mark Hamil.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

a LOT of 90s shows had a very tiny pool of voice actors. usually it'd be some combination of rob paulson, jim cummings, frank welker, kath soucie, tress mcneil and tony jay.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Given what happened to the rest of his co-stars (variously, nothing, drug problems, being Harrison Ford) getting in that car accident may well be one of the best things to ever happen to Mark Hamil.

yeah his live acting career may have been finished, but he got into an incredibly lucrative voice acting career.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dav posted:

Taking this sort of thing to its natural conclusion, here’s a short cartoon where the Joker (Mark Hamill) and Trickster (Mark Hamill) kidnap Mark Hamill (Mark Hamill), only to be foiled by...well, you get the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL-VHe_4GmE

incredible

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Len posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd7oC3wmpuA

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Dav posted:

And at the other end of the scale you get things like this Korean animated Tron knockoff where all the dialogue is recorded by two people doing voices way outside their range, and apparently recorded in one take because they flub lines and talk over each other the whole time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtAygS1epnk

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Len posted:

Also, at least in DoW1, you've got Scott McNeil who's basically like 90% of the Imperial Guard by himself and probably a solid 35% of the Space Marines and Chaos too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mr Interweb posted:

a LOT of 90s shows had a very tiny pool of voice actors. usually it'd be some combination of rob paulson, jim cummings, frank welker, kath soucie, tress mcneil and tony jay.

yeah his live acting career may have been finished, but he got into an incredibly lucrative voice acting career.

IIRC the accident isn't what killed his career so much as it was being typecast as Luke Skywalker

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Hey now Hamil was in Slipstream with Bill Paxton too, it wasnt all Luke Skywalkers.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I always wanted to go to a sci-fi convention, meet Mark Hamill, and tell him that I really liked him in Sam Fuller's The Big Red One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He also had a part in the live action Guyver movie.