Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

In case you, for some reason, thought Hall's salary wasn't retained, think again:
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1381461058796335104

e: Oh Bob :allears:
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/1381462044768145408

Kilza fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I need someone to explain the Buffalo Sabres to me. Just the whole thing. I don't understand any of it

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

What a disastrous franchise

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Bjork

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

HMS Beagle posted:

I need someone to explain the Buffalo Sabres to me. Just the whole thing. I don't understand any of it

They are a front for every other incompetent front office to constantly do really dumb stuff so you don’t complain about the regular dumb stuff your team does.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I really have to think that teams don't trust Taylor regressing to the mean by the playoffs.

That or he used the NMC to full effect.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I do think it's kind of hilarious that Jonas Johansson shuts out the Ducks on Friday. On Saturday the Avalanche trade for Devan Dubnyk, and then Johansson holds the Ducks scoreless for 50 minutes today. Maybe they should have played Johansson a little bit more to figure out what they had before the deadline?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Simplex posted:

I do think it's kind of hilarious that Jonas Johansson shuts out the Ducks on Friday. On Saturday the Avalanche trade for Devan Dubnyk, and then Johansson holds the Ducks scoreless for 50 minutes today. Maybe they should have played Johansson a little bit more to figure out what they had before the deadline?

I'm pretty sure they traded for another goaler in case of them die like last year

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Really wish the Flyers would just blow it all up from top to bottom but that won't happen even over the offseason

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Johansson still isn't a great goalie, he just got a little hot. Still, better an option than Hunter Miska when our top two three goalies go down.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I'm not even mad about Hall to the Bruins because if the Leafs are to lose to the Bruins this year that means they at least won 2 rounds first, but mostly I'm just glad I'm not a Sabres fan because that is true misery and suffering.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/1381482252362788870
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1381482538275835906

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

HMS Beagle posted:

Urinating Tree (on Youtube) did an interesting video; not sure how accurate it is because it mostly touched on ownership / front office and compared the Sabres rebuild to the Bills'. I think it's a good start in any case.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

god bless hocky

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

LumpyGumby posted:

Johansson still isn't a great goalie, he just got a little hot. Still, better an option than Hunter Miska when our top two three goalies go down.

Also played the garbage Ducks. He's still the guy who let in a goal on the first shot against him in 3 straight games. He can have another shot at least.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Goddammit Leafs, I know a lovely first in a devalued year isn't much but Nick fuckin Foligno?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Well I was wrong about this being a quiet deadline but lol so was Jim Benning who's paid millions of dollars to talk to the 31 other people on earth who actually know what's going on.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I know everyone is worried about hall returning to form with the bruins in the playoffs, but you also have to remember that the coup de grace of a once great hockey players career is always marked by a trade deadline move to Boston.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I just feel bad for Bjork. First she receives mail bombs from a creepy stalker and now she has to live in Buffalo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That Hall deal is even worse than I imagined lol Kevyn got completely played

Edit: seriously he had to give up Lazar just to get a second rounder?!? What the gently caress

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 12, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/buffalovogl/status/1381473596892143619?s=21

Dom is absolutely brutalizing the sabres over this

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1381469303501942798?s=21

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

How did Nick Foligno and Savard get a better return than Hall?
Fire everyone in buffalo that's hilariously awful

also I really hope Jeff Carter retires this offseason what were the pens thinking

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

what were the pens thinking

I'm not sure anyone associated with the team has done any thinking since Burke was hired.

It is truly a marvel that Brian Burke and Darryl Sutter were seen as legitimate managerial options for teams at the highest level of the sport in 2021.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That Hall deal is even worse than I imagined lol Kevyn got completely played

Edit: seriously he had to give up Lazar just to get a second rounder?!? What the gently caress

Is Lazar any good?

I feel bad for Bjork, I had hoped any deal for Hall didn’t involve any players going to Buffalo- for their sake.

Also we all knew Hall would be cheap but I didn’t expect a deal like the Foligno trade to make it so obviously cheap. Gotta get those intangibles

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WeaponX posted:

Is Lazar any good?

Emphatically no.
He can win over 50% of the faceoffs he takes. That's the nicest stat I can find about him though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ineffectivemath/status/1381576337555591173?s=21

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

WeaponX posted:

Is Lazar any good?

I feel bad for Bjork, I had hoped any deal for Hall didn’t involve any players going to Buffalo- for their sake.

Also we all knew Hall would be cheap but I didn’t expect a deal like the Foligno trade to make it so obviously cheap. Gotta get those intangibles

Lazar and Bjork are similar players except Lazar is a center and has a lower cap hit so it’s objectively a bad move for Buffalo. Everything about this trade is bad for Buffalo. Just embarrassing all around.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caps get 8 goals hung on them by the Isles then hang 8 on the Bruins inside two weeks.

Glad we didn't get Foligno at least!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Caps need to trade for some cheap defensive depth who’ll be motivated to play on a playoff team with a core that can go all the way.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Curtis Lazar might not be amazing but right now the Sabres have Cody Eakin at 4C and he is objectively making the team worse. gently caress. I am so angry rn there was a low bar for the Hall trade and not only did Kevyn Adams not clear it, he ran straight into the bar then crashed face-first into the ground.

Edit: if Lazar hadn’t been part of the trade it would’ve been okay but not great. This is just embarrassing!!!!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 12, 2021

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

https://twitter.com/bouellette76/status/1381578099104567298

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cartoon Man posted:

Caps need to trade for some cheap defensive depth who’ll be motivated to play on a playoff team with a core that can go all the way.

That's what Siegenthaler was... Nobody really on the board that moves the needle in a non-dumb direction.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Cartoon Man posted:

Brendan Smith scored a goal last night!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

That's what Siegenthaler was... Nobody really on the board that moves the needle in a non-dumb direction.

I’m kind of disappointed they didn’t go after Taylor Hall at that price. He’s a good play driver who can’t finish on a team that doesn’t really drive play but has good finishers.

Especially since Laviolette hates Vrana and there seems to be a hole in the top 6.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Brendan Smith scored a goal last night!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

How did Nick Foligno and Savard get a better return than Hall?
Fire everyone in buffalo that's hilariously awful

also I really hope Jeff Carter retires this offseason what were the pens thinking
Maybe Hall refused to waive his NMC for anywhere besides Boston? Not a terrible return if there was only 1 possible destination.

Maybe Adams couldn't find a 3rd team to absorb another $2million of Halls cap hit?

Or I should stop trying to rationalize and makes excuses for another GM who brings shame upon this franchise. That should be the default assumption until proven otherwise, "Because Buffalo is incompetent".

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Jimmy10Hayes/status/1381588457630359554?s=19

Happy deadline day everyone! May your teams be less awful than mine.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Pegulas decimated the front office of the Sabres and hired the Harborcenter manager as GM with no experience and no AGM’s or President of Hockey Ops and then wondered why their team still sucked horribly this year.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://mobile.twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1381585665779990530

Wtf the Rangers have that much cap space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/Jimmy10Hayes/status/1381588457630359554?s=19

Happy deadline day everyone! May your teams be less awful than mine.

Oleksiak is actually pretty good. That's a low-key good get for Edmonton.