Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

No Wave posted:

Shanks maybe has said something. He went to WB about blackbeard and went to the world government about "a certain pirate".

It could have plausibly been mentioned at Marineford but almost no one would have had that knowledge, let alone someone to mention it to. So it could go either way, I'm 50/50 on whether it belonged to Rocks.

Rocks having had the fruit makes more sense but you'd think that Garp would've had some reaction to a dangerous pirate having the same power as the dude he defeated in the most important battle of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I imagine the marines knew his fruit at that point. His fight with Ace was pretty public and he was a shichibukai at that point.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Brandfarlig posted:

Nah, that would've been mentioned by now.

not if the old guard never knew

I could be wrong on this so feel free to correct me, but it seems conspicuous to me that every time we've had a brief flashback of Roger fighting people, they're always DF users but they're never using their powers

also the timeline of Teach setting out to become a pirate, with the singular goal of obtaining the Yami Yami no Mi, is as close as possible to directly after Roger's execution

I'm going full long bomb on this: Teach knew Xebec in some way and idolized him, but Xebec was defeated by Roger using the Yami Yami no Mi, and Teach set out specifically to obtain it because he knew first-hand how powerful it was

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I bet it has something to do with the big egg

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

idk I feel like devil fruits were considered as just kind of a secondary feature to their holders. Pirates like Rocks, Whitebeard, Roger, Big Mom - fruit or no fruit they'd still be monsters.

Whitebeard's fruit was probably a uniquely dangerous one, but at the same time what we saw of him outside of Marineford seemed to paint him as being very deliberate in his usage of it.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 12, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

JahRoo posted:

I bet it has something to do with the big egg

what if the big hat... goes ON the big egg

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Obviously the big hat hatched out of the big egg.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the flashback gives a lot of weight to what the roger pirates "know". it's even more pronounced, imo, in the anime. weirdly, i've always been interested in the backstory of the OP world and what exactly happened, but honestly i've cared a lot more about what luffy is doing right here right now in comparison. but more and more lately i'm finding myself fascinated with what occurred, what's being hidden, why wano was closed, etc

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I like to think that the big egg was just a member of Roger's crew.
A valued friend, a true nakama, that egg.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

tbp posted:

the flashback gives a lot of weight to what the roger pirates "know". it's even more pronounced, imo, in the anime. weirdly, i've always been interested in the backstory of the OP world and what exactly happened, but honestly i've cared a lot more about what luffy is doing right here right now in comparison. but more and more lately i'm finding myself fascinated with what occurred, what's being hidden, why wano was closed, etc

Yeah I think we will get a lot of those answers in the Wano epilogue, which is honestly what I've been looking forward to the most for years.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Bleck posted:

not if the old guard never knew

How would Garp not know? He hunted Roger for years and fought against and with him several times. I can see him not saying anything because of ~reasons~ or that Oda hadn't thought of it yet but it seems very unlikely. Rayleigh too, by the way. Xebec seems more likely since he was introduced much later but I'm still not convinced.

If anything I suspect that BB knows more about devil fruits than most and therefore knew what it can do. Probably ties into why devil fruits exist in the first place. There might be something to the superstition of it being impossible to have 2 fruit powers because the devils will fight each other and blow you up in the process. BBs fruit could somehow outrank the others which is why he can suppress them and wield more than one.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 12, 2021

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

If Roger wasn't anything but the biggest badass who never needed a devil fruit I'll be disappointed given it just shows how big of a deal he was that he did anything purely on power, will and charisma.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

If Roger wasn't anything but the biggest badass who never needed a devil fruit I'll be disappointed given it just shows how big of a deal he was that he did anything purely on power, will and charisma.

At most he might have had some form of Haki but as far as I can tell there’s no evidence that Roger had any sort of Devil Fruit power.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
What if the most infamous, notorious and most talked about man in the world actually had a secret devil fruit that nobody talked about is stupid as gently caress.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

From a post I saw elsewhere: Luffy absolutely has been using Conqueror's Haki since the beginning

also:

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 12, 2021

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i wouldn't mind if roger had a devil fruit, but it'd be weird if we didnt know about it by now. i dont think it would diminish anything of his legend, the story is pretty good at not displaying using a fruit as a crutch or anything. especially as haki becomes more pronounced, it's just an alternate dimension of your fighting capability, anyways

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
It will be very funny if it turns out that Roger did have the darkness fruit, but ONLY used it to negate other fruit users abilities because he either never bothered to figure out its other uses or because he considered it an "unmanly" way of fighting. Either of those would be a fantastic parallel to Luffy.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Did they ever come out and say in universe that you needed a minimum of observation haki to see the blackening from armament? Or did Oda just decide one day that haki needed to have a visual effect, and that decision happened to be during the timeskip break?

Sentomaru's existence bothers me a little bit more every day, is all.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

LanceKing2200 posted:

It will be very funny if it turns out that Roger did have the darkness fruit, but ONLY used it to negate other fruit users abilities because he either never bothered to figure out its other uses or because he considered it an "unmanly" way of fighting. Either of those would be a fantastic parallel to Luffy.

luffy doesn't feel this way though! he outright told katakuri that it was dumb that he didn't take advantage of the numbing agent the sister hit him with, because there's no rules in a fight between pirates

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Minion of Freya posted:

Did they ever come out and say in universe that you needed a minimum of observation haki to see the blackening from armament? Or did Oda just decide one day that haki needed to have a visual effect, and that decision happened to be during the timeskip break?

Sentomaru's existence bothers me a little bit more every day, is all.

I think you could probably infer that from the text. Did the CP-9 dudes have the back aura coating them when they used their hardening technique? that was basically described as being armament haki, but I don't remember any of the Straw Hats perceiving it at that point.

**also i mean even after post time skip we have instances of Luffy using conqueror's Haki with all the flashy lightning effects to knock out large groups of people and observers going "what's happening? everyone just fell down for no reason!". Needing observation Haki to perceive these processes going on makes sense to me.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 12, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Minion of Freya posted:

Or did Oda just decide one day that haki needed to have a visual effect, and that decision happened to be during the timeskip break?

It's this.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017

Yeah that's really what it feels like since there was never and explanation, just one day we as the reader had a visual cue to know haki was being used.

But then there are things to point to haki always being there, as is being shown with conqueror's haki effect. But where the line is drawn in terms of visibility from possession of observation haki/knowledge that haki exists is unclear.

We never saw Vergo have a conversation with someone who knew haki exists but couldn't see his whole body armament. But we also never had a situation where someone who had haki but didn't know what haki was looked at him either. Maybe in Law's flashback?

Amazon Lily haki arrows were never shown as black from what I can find. They're basically dipped in haki. Mihawk's sword has always been visibly black to everyone and it's implied that's because it is completely soaked in haki to that point that it is permanent. Perhaps degree of usage effects visibility.

But then Sentomaru's projection attack was both invisible and powerful- but still armament based. Sentomaru might have just been so nuanced with armament he could keep it under the visibility limit. Or maybe it was a weak attack but only seemed strong because Luffy at that point had no way to resist it. Maybe next time Sentomaru shows up we'll see his attacks in midair, since he'll probably be fighting someone with at least awareness of the existence of haki.

Haki's been a headache since it was introduced, I'm going to try not thinking about it for as long as I can.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Brandfarlig posted:

How would Garp not know?

1. we just got a chapter where luffy is at his most powerful and isn't using his devil fruit at all. nothing we know about roger suggests that, if he had it, he ever had to use the more visible manifestations of it at all

2. armament haki disables devil fruits, and we see the admirals projecting a big bubble of it way beyond what we see in this arc back in the paramount war - if you assume roger just didn't use the darkness parts of the fruit and instead had some advanced way of using it to just Turn Off nearby fruit powers, it's possible people just came to the conclusion that his haki was That Good

Ryaomon posted:

What if the most infamous, notorious and most talked about man in the world actually had a secret devil fruit that nobody talked about is stupid as gently caress.

the people who were closest to him that we've met in the comic straight up just didn't talk about him at all

"if this were true why wouldn't they just tell us right away for no reason" I don't know uh maybe for suspense or a cool reveal? like gently caress bub sorry to postulate about stuff in a fun story that hasn't ended yet, I'll stand back and let everyone talk about how much they hate dressrosa for the 89th time or whatever

Brandfarlig posted:

If anything I suspect that BB knows more about devil fruits than most and therefore knew what it can do. Probably ties into why devil fruits exist in the first place.

it's probably this, yeah

ChaseSP posted:

I don't know I feel like there's something poetic about Roger having a devil fruit that he possibly didn't even bother to use because he didn't need it, and a man like Teach sees what Roger accomplishes and thinks "it must have been because of the devil fruit, yeah that's it."

the guy whose whole schtick is that he's obsessed with devil fruits and obtains as many as he can only to find that it doesn't matter at all seems like a pretty fitting final conflict in this story where the main protagonist may or may not have just advanced beyond needing to use his devil fruit at all, you know?

edit: retroactive justification for haki's visibility; how well you can perceive it is based on how well you can use it, and we see the story through luffy's eyes

Bleck fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 12, 2021

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

we know virtually nothing about blackbeard's motivations, past, obsessions, etc. i'd caution against latching on to a perceived fact too strongly, as i'm certain we'll be given context for everything in due time. he could just be going after devil fruits because they're strong and he knows how to extract them from people

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the only other case Id like for Roger than No DF is Had Df but thought it was poo poo and never used it.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Roger had the Noro Noro No Mi.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Roger had the invisibility fruit but only used it to sneak into women's showers.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
it'd be pretty funny if rocks had buggy's fruit

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

what is law's (new ??) move Curtain supposed to do

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Funky Valentine posted:

Dark Dark also comes with black hole powers that let you gently caress stuff up real good.

The black hole aspect comes with the ability to use it as a sort of bag of holding. That alone would make it worth the drawbacks of a devil fruit, everything else is a super bonus. Making hits hurt more is also totally worth it.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah the only other case Id like for Roger than No DF is Had Df but thought it was poo poo and never used it.

I do really like that no matter how poo poo or awesome your devil fruit is on it's own, the true measure of things is how it's used. Being made of rubber is pretty niche poo poo, unless you spend over a decade figuring out how to turn your stretchiness into an actual fighting style. On the other hand being able to absolutely gently caress with time via beams can be squandered on silly games with no real end goal.

Even logias run into the wall hard if they don't actually train their poo poo and up their game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

oddium posted:

what is law's (new ??) move Curtain supposed to do

It has the kanji for "armament" in it so it might just be making a barrier of armament haki with his fruit

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

anime was right posted:

it'd be pretty funny if rocks had buggy's fruit

what if captain john had buggy's fruit

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Blockhouse posted:

It has the kanji for "armament" in it so it might just be making a barrier of armament haki with his fruit

Maybe not even needing armament haki. Presumably its a reference to the curtains around a hospital bed and the sort of "protection" they offer.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Maybe not even needing armament haki. Presumably its a reference to the curtains around a hospital bed and the sort of "protection" they offer.

i think the implication here is its a pun name for an ability that uses armament haki is all

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Yeah the move is also "Curtain" in katakana but it's above kanji that spell out a different name

Specifically it's 抗菌武装 (Antibiotic Armament) with the 武装 or Busou also being in 武装色の覇気 (Armament-color Haki)

"Antibiotic Curtain" just seems like a compromise between the two names in the localization

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Kaido is going to feel real embarrassed once he changes into his hospital gown.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Brandfarlig posted:

Nah, that would've been mentioned by now. If anything it's going to be Rocks old fruit but that runs into the same problem of why Garp/Sengoku/Shanks hasn't said anything. It probably has something to do with having more than one devil fruit since it can suppress powers.

Garp seemed extremely cagey about mentioning anything related to the Rocks incident, so my guess is they keep as much of that situation as hush hush as possible. Sengoku was only telling it to a group of marines that seemed like they needed to be in the know.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
marines have been shown to keep a lot of secrets when it comes to events in the past. I imagine there's something we still don't understand about the rocks pirates as it ties into void century

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The most logical reason for Rogers not to have a Devil Fruit is that when they find the one Buggy eats most of the crew laugh at the idea that they give anything worth giving up your ability to swim, and Buggy intends to trick them by faking eating it and saying it has no effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Roger had Chopper's fruit, it makes total sense if you think about it. He's the most human of anyone!