Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I assumed it was a show based off the virgin/chad meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

FreudianSlippers posted:

Imagine the most exaggerated conservative idea of what punk rock is then imagine it's completely true.

That was essentially Jesus Christ "GG" All-in a musician who would take a poo poo on stage, throw some at the audience, smear the rest on himself and then proceed to physically assault the audience.

Sounds unpleasant.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hello thread, I rewatched the pianist a few days ago. looked up roman polanski beforehand on a lark and learned that he spent some time hiding from the nazis in poland like the protagonist wladyslaw szpilman (except polanski was only 6 instead of 30). I didn't know this but now I could see why he connected with the guy's autobiography which the film is based on. One thing I remember reading is an excerpt from an interview where polanski described his fascination with all aspects of film, and he specifically calls out being enchanted by the piercing ray of the projection in the darkness of the theatre. When I watched the film, a specific shot stood out to me; the climax of the film when szpilman is performing a piece on a piano in a bombed-out home at dusk, we see the camera hold on the nazi captain, and then it cuts to a full profile shot of the pianist and his piano, and between them a ray of light cuts through the darkness and literally bisects the shot, illuminating him and giving the shot an eerie glow. Suddenly I realized that shot was the most important one in the film: the light was not just the light of revelation which caused the nazi to spare szpilman's life, it was the literal light of a film projector from polanski's childhood. I was suddenly overcome with a wave of catharsis and greater appreciation for the work and I couldn't stop crying until the end of the film.

polanski is pretty fascinating to me for a lot of reasons. I think his films are amazing of course, but he's also been through a lot in his life. His mother and siblings were murdered by Nazis and his wife was murdered by the Manson family. He's also a pedophile rapist fugitive fully aware of and unapologetic for his actions. I think it's important to be aware of who an artist is as a person because it helps to contextualize their art, and context is everything. Also I don't think someone's emotional experience or connection to a work should be invalidated by the terribleness of the work's creator, so long as that person educates themselves about the work's context.

in summary, dmx was a crappy individual, but his art... was also crappy lmao. thank you for reading.

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 10, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Just watched Promising Young Woman then went back and read the posts itt about it last month. They were a good discussion, I appreciated both it and the film.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Since Disney bought out FOX, is there anything made by FOX that was once easy to find now suddenly vanished since the buyout?

I remember reading about how for theatres that did screenings of Die Hard for Christmas for example, They suddenly could not do those screenings since Disney shut down the department that set those up.

Is there anything that covers the current state of the FOX library since the buyout?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/yeoldedad/status/1380726535473176580?s=20

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
David Bowie is 100% burning in Hell and I'm laughing.

DMX, hard to say: if he never actually attacked gay people he might be in Purgatory.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/konstructivizm/status/1381144219067285504

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Fans confused why Dallas now shouts “MACLUNKY!” when the Alien gets him in the vent.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:siren: Reminder: I'll be streaming in the CineD Discord later today! :siren:

Stop by if you wanna hop in and watch—please remember to mute your mic if you do plan to join the stream, thanks! Movie chat will be in the #snack-snyders-slyders channel :)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Fans confused why Dallas now shouts “MACLUNKY!” when the Alien gets him in the vent.

Ridley Scott seems to have more resentment for fans than Lucas, but he doesn't gently caress with them as much.

I dunno if that's better or worse

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

Ridley Scott seems to have more resentment for fans than Lucas, but he doesn't gently caress with them as much.

I dunno if that's better or worse

He weaponized Ripley’s hubris in Aliens into Alien Covenant.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

:siren: Reminder: I'll be streaming in the CineD Discord later today! :siren:

Stop by if you wanna hop in and watch—please remember to mute your mic if you do plan to join the stream, thanks! Movie chat will be in the #snack-snyders-slyders channel :)

:( I will miss this unfortunately. But Godspeed!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gatts posted:

:( I will miss this unfortunately. But Godspeed!

:cheers:

Next stream will probably be the Mortal Kombat premiere on the 23rd.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I’m watching Wrestlemania on a livestream and they just had an 80’s style racism match where one of the wrestlers, claiming to be an “ancient Nigerian warrior” (he’s from Sacramento and Nigeria was established in the late 19th century out of three different nations,) challenged another to a “traditional Nigerian drum match” (not real) that started with them both wailing on each other with kendo swords (???)

Edit: they also brought Hulk Hogan out of cold storage

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 12, 2021

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’m watching Wrestlemania on a livestream and they just had an 80’s style racism match where one of the wrestlers, claiming to be an “ancient Nigerian warrior” (he’s from Sacramento and Nigeria was established in the late 19th century out of three different nations,) challenged another to a “traditional Nigerian drum match” (not real) that started with them both wailing on each other with kendo swords (???)

The build to that was particularly indicative of Vince Brain because the one wrestler cut a promo one week in which he talked about his heritage and quoted a member of his family, doing that voice to get across the mannerisms of this member of his family, and the next week he was just doing that accent all the time and dressing exactly how you'd expect from "WWE's Idea Of An African Guy".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I watched The Raid for the first time today

It owns

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wish I could join the cd streams... working on the weekends loving blows sometimes

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Anonymous Robot posted:

But they told me Black Panther was revolutionary?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Anyone who has ever reviewed film festival submissions would bomb government buildings to prevent this from happening

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Anyone who has ever reviewed film festival submissions would bomb government buildings to prevent this from happening

Not my problem!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What if we just give everyone on earth who doesn’t have it $100,000,000 and see what happens?

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
Mikey and Nicky was really really really good, jeez. Elaine May rocks

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

g-c posted:

Mikey and Nicky was really really really good, jeez. Elaine May rocks

Seconding this. You watch A New Leaf?

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Seconding this. You watch A New Leaf?

yeah I watched it last week, and thought it was really good as well. I need to find a copy of heartbreak kid and I suppose eventually watch Ishtar. it's a crying shame she quit making movies after Ishtar!

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

g-c posted:

yeah I watched it last week, and thought it was really good as well. I need to find a copy of heartbreak kid and I suppose eventually watch Ishtar. it's a crying shame she quit making movies after Ishtar!

I hear she's got one in the works with Dakota Johnson as we speak. Who knows if/how it'll pan out though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

g-c posted:

I don't know if you've read about the production of Ishtar, but I can see why any director would quit after that.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

g-c posted:

I need to find a copy of heartbreak kid
It's up on YouTube. It looks a right mess quality-wise, but you can still see the wheels turning in Grodin's head the entire time.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Gatts posted:

What if we just give everyone on earth who doesn’t have it $100,000,000 and see what happens?

Woah, can't believe rent just went up $10 million.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gatts posted:

only to be used for making a movie

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TrixRabbi posted:

Woah, can't believe rent just went up $10 million.

That would be a good argument except that people aren't making more money now but rent keeps going up anyway

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

$100,000,000 and immediately transferring ownership of all residential buildings to those dwelling within them. Solved.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

$100,000,000 and immediately transferring ownership of all residential buildings to those dwelling within them. Solved.

I call ownership of the plumbing

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
With the way the housing market in the US looks right now the age of people owning their homes at all may be coming to an end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/nxonnetflix/status/1381653387444252673?s=21

I'm cautiously pessimistic.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'm kinda surprised he hasn't been big-time MeToo'd yet, because he's apparently a creep.
https://twitter.com/danadearmond/status/943200987870720000

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'm kinda surprised he hasn't been big-time MeToo'd yet, because he's apparently a creep.
https://twitter.com/danadearmond/status/943200987870720000

Anyone with abnormal facial hair should be considered a threat.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
watching who’s afraid of virginia woolf and i must say, this woman martha is very pleasant right out the gate. a real treat

edit: george seems great as well

g-c fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 13, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

g-c posted:

watching who’s afraid of virginia woolf and i must say, this woman martha is very pleasant right out the gate. a real treat

edit: george seems great as well

Fun game is to get three friends, a giant bottle of gin and then do a reading of the play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Skwirl posted:

Fun game is to get three friends, a giant bottle of gin and then do a reading of the play.

oh my god this sounds fun/terrible