Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

blizzardvizard posted:

With Pen Flingers out of the picture, Libram Paladin may return to being Pure again. Yrel instead of Taelan, two Goodies instead of Flingers? Although tutoring Liadrin with Taelan is a pretty big upside.

Oh My Yogg and Galloping Savior are still amazing Secrets, especially when cast straight from the deck, so I'm sure the Secret package is here to stay.

Nah. This deck already got some experimentation in MTQ lineups. It'll be Broomstick and Samuro because the game will become board-centric again and Rush will define everything that Paladin needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Did watch posts really need the nerf if they also did this:

> Removed Far Watch Post, Mor’Shan Watch Post, Crossroads Watch Post, and Kargal Battlescar from Arena.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
The only really big surprise is that Refreshing Spring Water didn't get axed. I am highly confident it will be hit at some point this year.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Pardot posted:

Same. It'll be sad to not have it spawn more golden minions, but that plus never auto dusting, I'm looking at over 6k dust :toot:

6 sword of the fallen (rare 600)
1 golden sword of the fallen (rare 800)
1 golden jandice barov (legendary 3200)
9+ pen flinger (common 360+)
9+ far watch post (common 360+)
2 golden far watch post (common 800)
3 mor'shan watch post (rare 300)

I'm getting almost 4k without any golden legendaries :toot:
2 Sword
1 Deck of Lunacy (regular, good riddance.)
9+ Flingers
2 golden flingers
9+ far posts
1 golden far post
1 mor'shan

I have Jandice but I've got a feeling she'll still be very good even with the nerf, so she stays.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

orangelex44 posted:

The only really big surprise is that Refreshing Spring Water didn't get axed. I am highly confident it will be hit at some point this year.

Yeah, that is a surprise. I guess they felt they didn't need to because they nerfed DoL, but that feels like two separate issues that just happened to coexist in the same deck archetype because there's literally no reason not to include Spring in any No-minion Mage deck.

All the others are unsurprising. DoL should still basically work just as well as it does in any game where it's not in your starting hand. Still good but not auto-win when you get the lucky draw.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

I have Jandice but I've got a feeling she'll still be very good even with the nerf, so she stays.

1) It's completely free with no risk to disenchant now, and re-craft later if needed.
2) Think of it this way: Not only is Turn 6 just way later than turn 5 (edit: this is a break point in the match-ups where it's somewhat reasonable you keep Jandice in the mull), the Shadowstep cost is now 4. Jandice is pretty dead.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 12, 2021

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Booo, they're getting rid of the ability to re-roll weekly quests into the Win 5 ranked standard one.

AnacondaHL posted:

1) It's completely free with no risk to disenchant now, and re-craft later if needed.

It always kind of annoys me when people say this because yeah you get a full refund but it takes a long time for most people to save up 1600 dust so if you do dust Jandice and use that dust to craft other cards, then the risk is that it's going to take just as much effort to re-craft her as any other legendary.

victorious fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 12, 2021

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

AnacondaHL posted:

2) Think of it this way: Not only is Turn 6 just way later than turn 5 (edit: this is a break point in the match-ups where it's somewhat reasonable you keep Jandice in the mull), the Shadowstep cost is now 4. Jandice is pretty dead.

That's a good point. 5k+ dust here I come! :v:

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
reducing watch posts health seems like a quick way to kill the cards... most decks seem to be able to deal three+ damage very easily.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The watch post that spams 2 2 guys in the board doesn't seem that great. I usually just use it to board lock my opponent.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Watch posts feel bad to play against + they don’t look badass like Tickatus does, the true nerf combo

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Here’s the difference in far watch post pre and post nerf

Cards that could answer a 4hp far watch post using 1-2 mana: devolving missiles, minefield, revolve (sort of)

Cards that could answer a 3hp far watch post using 1-2 mana: smite, quick shot, fel bolt, drain soul, soul shear, brain freeze, fury (with hero power), pounce (with hero power), lunar eclipse, backstab (with hero power), lightning bolt, rockbiter weapon, spiked wheel, redgill razorjaw

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
The more I look at the nerfs the worse they look.

Deck of Lunacy's problem is the card pool, not the cost of the card. Should have increased spells by (2) more, maybe also have it cost 3 but having it cost 4 is kind of whatever. It stops turn 1 and 2 Lunacy's I guess?

The Watch Post's being slotted into everything probably wasn't a good look but nerfing their health kills them. The whole point of the card is to play a disruptive minion with a downside that is going to take the opponent multiple resources to get rid of, at 3 health far watch is easily countered on turn one or two with one card, Mor'shan at 4 isn't much better. Feel like the better nerf here would have been to give them less attack so opponents are dedicating attacks to destroy them but not necessarily losing cards to them.

Sword going to 2 durability doesn't seem like a huge deal, definitely the better nerf than putting it to 3 mana. In my libram/secret deck I was only running 4 secrets and used a lot of charges without pulling a secret.

Pen Flinger is a good nerf, gently caress that card.

RIP Jandice, bonus buff to Apexis.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I know it's a Lunacy Mage vs Lunacy Mage game but watch what happens when Devolving Missiles goes very, very poorly:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/6yXyuXdmLJcWxXJpQv8TXL

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Color Printer posted:

I know it's a Lunacy Mage vs Lunacy Mage game but watch what happens when Devolving Missiles goes very, very poorly:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/6yXyuXdmLJcWxXJpQv8TXL

They held back Apexis Blasting either of your minions to get the value of pinging your face, incredible.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

PneumonicBook posted:

Deck of Lunacy's problem is the card pool, not the cost of the card. Should have increased spells by (2) more, maybe also have it cost 3 but having it cost 4 is kind of whatever. It stops turn 1 and 2 Lunacy's I guess?

The Watch Post's being slotted into everything probably wasn't a good look but nerfing their health kills them. The whole point of the card is to play a disruptive minion with a downside that is going to take the opponent multiple resources to get rid of, at 3 health far watch is easily countered on turn one or two with one card, Mor'shan at 4 isn't much better. Feel like the better nerf here would have been to give them less attack so opponents are dedicating attacks to destroy them but not necessarily losing cards to them.

Sword going to 2 durability doesn't seem like a huge deal, definitely the better nerf than putting it to 3 mana. In my libram/secret deck I was only running 4 secrets and used a lot of charges without pulling a secret.

Pen Flinger is a good nerf, gently caress that card.

RIP Jandice, bonus buff to Apexis.

Deck of Lunacy is probably fine now. It was a problem when it highrolled on turn 1 or 2, it's much less concerning when it comes down on turn 10. 4 mana means it's no longer really a mulligan target.

The 2 mana watch post is pretty close to dead, but honestly I don't see much for an alternate option. Mana nerfs would do the same thing, and damage nerfs wouldn't really matter all that much since that only helps if you are already sticking a minion for a turn to get an attack off. I'm not sure it was a problem in the first place, but if you want to meaningfully nerf it then health is the closest you can get to a compromise.

Sword to 2 durability is a good change, I think. Even if the number of secrets is low, only cheating 2 of them out from an early weapon instead of 3 makes a pretty big difference. It's 1 less chip attack, it's 1 less mana value, it makes draws slightly worse, and it makes navigating the Christmas tree easier. It's actually probably a bigger net nerf than costing more would be.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

victorious posted:

It always kind of annoys me when people say this because yeah you get a full refund but it takes a long time for most people to save up 1600 dust so if you do dust Jandice and use that dust to craft other cards, then the risk is that it's going to take just as much effort to re-craft her as any other legendary.

Do we really need to add the qualifier "just don't be a degenerate spender and wait until you're confident on how you want to spend your dust before spending it" every time? Can't you just add it yourself?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ok, I know the whole schtick of Duels is total crazy bullshit, but gently caress that Paladin card that makes all their minions 3/3 and cost 3. Like, that's it, you just play one loving card and you can Alexstraza me on turn 3? You can play that loving "summon a billion 1/1s with rush" card but now their all 3/3s? gently caress OFF. It's literally everything that's BS and annoying about Caverns Below, except you don't even need to complete a quest.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 12, 2021

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

PneumonicBook posted:

Watch posts were really *that* meta defining that they required nerfs? I find that kind of hard to believe. 3 and 4 health is entirely too easy to get rid of for their effects.

E: beaten

Many posts like this- Vicious Syndicate might come out with something, but I think they really were that bad. 3/5 just stopped decks that actually use small minions- there's no effort to make zoo, warrior, non-OTK hunter decks work when it's around. The 2-4, S-N's post is good:

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Here’s the difference in far watch post pre and post nerf

Cards that could answer a 4hp far watch post using 1-2 mana: devolving missiles, minefield, revolve (sort of)

Cards that could answer a 3hp far watch post using 1-2 mana: smite, quick shot, fel bolt, drain soul, soul shear, brain freeze, fury (with hero power), pounce (with hero power), lunar eclipse, backstab (with hero power), lightning bolt, rockbiter weapon, spiked wheel, redgill razorjaw

Rogue was able to better deal with them by ignoring (poison rogue) or just having good enough cards (usually Prize Plunderer), though a turn 2 Far Watch Post was often pretty crippling. If your opening mulligan isn't able to kill it then you're playing a +1 mana game for a couple turns!

My complaint is that Kar'gal was my golden legendary (of loving course) and I won't be getting a refund for that

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Elysium posted:

Ok, I know the whole schtick of Duels is total crazy bullshit, but gently caress that Paladin card that makes all their minions 3/3 and cost 3. Like, that's it, you just play one loving card and you can Alexstraza me on turn 3? You can play that loving "summon a billion 1/1s with rush" card but now their all 3/3s? gently caress OFF. It's literally everything that's BS and annoying about Caverns Below, except you don't even need to complete a quest.

It's very polarising. Play it then Onyxia, you win. Don't draw it and you're playing a particularly bad casual deck. It's quite consistent in the first few games with Sphere and Knight of Anointment though. It's beatable with Mage and Quest Rogue (maybe not with the patch) but maaaan.

If you're able to get through the first few waves as priest eventually they're stuck playing 2 3/3s a turn.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Very sad that they're removing the ability to reroll into the win 5 ranked games quest. At least I got to do that twice before they removed it.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

PneumonicBook posted:

I think the watch post nerfs actually hurt no minion mage as well, even if they don't run them. Right now there's very little early game pressure (Libram is probably the closest but it's hardly an aggro deck). If the watch posts are a minor speedbump instead of stopping aggro in it's tracks, that increases the presence of early game board presence and aggro. DoL mage already takes a bit to really get going, and not being able to play deck of lunacy until 4 slows them down even more. It becomes almost more like Celestial alignment, where it's great if you can get it off, but you're often facing a big board by the time you can and can't afford a dead turn.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Kind of feels like rogue has gotten thoroughly poo poo on and they were nowhere near as degenerate as mage/paladin

I guess some flavor of hyper aggro will become the norm

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Rogue loving deserves to be dumpster tier for a while, it basically never happens. Every time people bemoan the demise of Rogue the class just comes back even stronger, Valeera is a goddamn cockroach made of tempo plays and burst damage from hand.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I can imagine that octo discounting into new alex > tenwu plays will become relatively core now

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I reckon they should have gone further with nerfs to librams. They were what really made pen flinger degenerate. Pen Flinger and Wisdom are just too persistent as resources. There's a reason hero powers are severely over costed, and it's because they don't cost you card resources. In general I think libram reduction goes too far, as libram of hope can come down earlier than it really should because it also closes the door on aggro decks.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Quotey posted:

My complaint is that Kar'gal was my golden legendary (of loving course) and I won't be getting a refund for that

Yea mine too. Kind of bs but I think they've done something similar in the past, I just can't remember what card it was.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Why am I playing this stupid game before the patch.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Gonna turn Jandice into Mordresh Fire-eye and enjoy playing a stupid hero power Mage deck when the all spell deck is still way better.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

sirtommygunn posted:

Gonna turn Jandice into Mordresh Fire-eye and enjoy playing a stupid hero power Mage deck when the all spell deck is still way better.

One time in my spell mage deck I had gotten Fire-eye and actually managed to deal 10 damage with my hero power but they conceded the turn before I could use it for lethal :(

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

Rogue loving deserves to be dumpster tier for a while, it basically never happens. Every time people bemoan the demise of Rogue the class just comes back even stronger, Valeera is a goddamn cockroach made of tempo plays and burst damage from hand.

Rogue 4 lyfe :getout:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea mine too. Kind of bs but I think they've done something similar in the past, I just can't remember what card it was.
They changed Leeching Poison from a permanent weapon buff to a one-turn buff, destroying Kingsbane rogue and only giving two common's worth of dust.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

sirtommygunn posted:

I have been playing a tower hero power mage and it’s good and fun to pilot. With the increase in mages and paladins as of late I have switched to face hunter and aggro shaman and have never been happier. They get it done before the lunacy stuff can ever take off.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I can't wait to actually play Rokara. These nerfs seem like just enough to make Rush Warrior a player in the next meta. PizzaHS has been grinding out this list and doing reasonably well despite the current meta:

### Rush Warrior
# Class: Warrior
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Gryphon
#
# 2x (1) Athletic Studies
# 2x (1) Stage Dive
# 2x (2) Bumper Car
# 2x (2) Conditioning (Rank 1)
# 1x (2) Corsair Cache
# 2x (2) Crabrider
# 1x (2) E.T.C., God of Metal
# 2x (2) Parade Leader
# 2x (3) Playmaker
# 1x (3) Rokara
# 1x (3) Venomous Scorpid
# 2x (3) Warmaul Challenger
# 1x (4) Blademaster Samuro
# 2x (4) Outrider's Axe
# 2x (4) Sword Eater
# 1x (5) Overlord Runthak
# 1x (5) Ringmaster Whatley
# 2x (8) Troublemaker
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza the Life-Binder
#
AAECAQcIwLkDwN4Dzt4DlugD++gDle0DqooEsIoEC7u5A+LMA93NA6fOA7PeA7XeA7reA8HeA5HkA47tA5jtAwA=
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Find this deck on https://hsreplay.net/decks/nLG6xp91i2CfW71wJAiSp/

I imagine something may be cut to jam Broomsticks in post-nerfs.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Quotey posted:

It's very polarising. Play it then Onyxia, you win. Don't draw it and you're playing a particularly bad casual deck. It's quite consistent in the first few games with Sphere and Knight of Anointment though. It's beatable with Mage and Quest Rogue (maybe not with the patch) but maaaan.

If you're able to get through the first few waves as priest eventually they're stuck playing 2 3/3s a turn.

Yeah, it's one of the best decks for the early games but to go the distance you need treasures like Dragon Affinity with Scepter of Summoning, or Disks of Legend with some annoying cheap legendaries like Murloc Holmes or Golden Kobold. Disks/Kobold is the best alternate win condition in my experience, especially if you can get two of them early on, and it gives you some real staying power against slow decks.

The other thing I like about that deck is going all-in on terrible buckets. Triple Lich King? I'll take it!

edit : I like the Duels dumpstering of Connections Rogue but I would've preferred if they just removed the Un'Goro quests altogether. Rally the Troops is still extremely strong; the consistent card draw alone is crucial for any class that's not like Mage or DH to be able to keep playing threats onto the board.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 12, 2021

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gobbeldygook posted:

They changed Leeching Poison from a permanent weapon buff to a one-turn buff, destroying Kingsbane rogue and only giving two common's worth of dust.

Yep that's the one. Still have a golden kingsbane because of it.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

PneumonicBook posted:

Yep that's the one. Still have a golden kingsbane because of it.

Kingsbane Rogue is amazing in Wild, it's just an Aggro deck now.

I have a gut feeling we're going to get more Towers this year, could be wrong on this but if so I get prematurely nerfing them when they're overperforming,

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Amoeba102 posted:

Why am I playing this stupid game before the patch.

Play the Tavern Brawl. Can still do your quests without the craziness.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

In case anyone was wondering, playing a second deck of lunacy doesnt seen to upgrade your cards any more. Played double dol turn 4 because I could and just in case it led to something ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Mayveena posted:

Play the Tavern Brawl. Can still do your quests without the craziness.

Except for the win 5 ranked standard. Which is the only one I had left - because I was able to get everything else done in battlegrounds right away after the weekly reset. I'm done now, so I can just BG a bit - the patch lands in 20 hours or so anyway.