Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RIP
https://youtu.be/gdP7f4_YL8I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Fairly certain it didn't used to be this way, maybe something since it last changed hands, but if you bring up the Soprano house on gmaps now its blurred out

https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...9!4d-74.2452518

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
guess whoever owns it now doesn't appreciate the tourists and is rich enough to get google to censor it?

i wish Satriale's was real, i'd do a cross country trip to try the gabgool.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

uber_stoat posted:

guess whoever owns it now doesn't appreciate the tourists and is rich enough to get google to censor it?

That wouldn’t surprise me at all. The poor bastards that own the Amityville house have changed the address and done a whole bunch of work on it to the point that it’s completely unrecognizable so they and their neighbors won’t be bothered.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mcmagic posted:

The 2 things that REALLY stick out that wouldn't be shown on TV today is the level of violence against women that is depicted and how racist everyone is.

Depiction isn't condoning. TV today shows plenty of violence towards women.

Watchmen was only a couple years ago and everybody was extremely racist.

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VbsCS97EA

Love how he's nodding along before proceeding to do the exact opposite of what he just learned.

I love that he throws in "plus from now on I get 10%"

Even when they're trying to "help out" the goons can't help but make it about them. That's how the whole thing works after all.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

i wish Satriale's was real, i'd do a cross country trip to try the gabgool.

i dunno, i've seen what they use those machines for

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

Even when they're trying to "help out" the goons can't help but make it about them. That's how the whole thing works after all.

"Frog and the scorpion. It's my nature."

Like he genuinely thought that once Tony was done busting out Davey's business and Davey could go anywhere was a good thing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zaphod42 posted:

Depiction isn't condoning. TV today shows plenty of violence towards women.

Watchmen was only a couple years ago and everybody was extremely racist.

Watchmen was about the KKK. it's completely different from the casual throwaway racism that is in the Sopranos. (It's actually much closer to how people like that would actually talk though)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The podcast is worth it just for the comments

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Podcast is very scary thing for Russian. Means being sent to Gulag.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Schrippa is the most hilariously bad interviewer ever.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mushroom Zingdom posted:

Chris also parroting AA and NA literature non-stop while going about the tasks of being a mobster, shaking down his sponsor, and even relapsing is so twisted, in-character, and hilarious.

Yeah, I think one of the main themes of the show and one it goes out of its way to show us is that is that self improvement through stuff like therapy and rehab is futile if you're in this line of work. I actually think the overriding story to the whole series is the degree to which Tony's therapy and dealing with his mother issues actually hurts or helps his effectiveness as a mob boss.

I'd argue it makes him a better person but worse at his profession. Same with Chris, who spells it out in one scene (If I was drinking and partying I'd get more respect or money). It was something like that.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

"Billy Budd's the ship's florist, right?" -Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRPmMi1Mio

Great scene. Tony with his humor manages to keep the dinner from being completely awkward (which says a lot given how he mistakes Meadow's friend as gay). Poor Carmela. Some say her storyline with Furio is bad but I found it very well done, a plausible continuation of her feelings for that other guy in S3. She glowed whenever she spoke to Furio :(

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

(which says a lot given how he mistakes Meadow's friend as gay).

I interpreted it as Meadow saying he was gay to Tony so that he'd be okay with a male roommate.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Something I’ve realized on the latest rewatch is just how often Livia’s paranoia was justified. When Carmela shows up at Green Grove to take her out for the day as cover for Tony hiding cash and jewelry in her room, she correctly deduces why this is suddenly happening, and also throws in “Is he cheating in you again?” which is also actually going on. And then in the second season she was suspicious of Janice trying to take the house and whatever money she had stashed away and that was absolutely her plan until she got together with Richie. And Janice goes right back for the house and money when she returns in season three after Livia’s dead.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 14, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

"Billy Budd's the ship's florist, right?" -Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRPmMi1Mio

Great scene. Tony with his humor manages to keep the dinner from being completely awkward (which says a lot given how he mistakes Meadow's friend as gay). Poor Carmela. Some say her storyline with Furio is bad but I found it very well done, a plausible continuation of her feelings for that other guy in S3. She glowed whenever she spoke to Furio :(

I wouldn't say that I thought the Carmela/Furio storyline was bad exactly, I just dislike it because it ended with Furio leaving the show never to be seen again.

stupida focking romance

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA0JPQZs6mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnjQLLsq6FA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd0OtN1g4I0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCdcFYB4Vs4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXD8wxVhzrw

Some deleted scenes.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://giphy.com/channel/TheSopranosTimeImmemorial

Jackpot!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this is absolutely hosed that this exists

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

this is absolutely hosed that this exists

Huh, according to the youtube description, it's supposed to be in S3E10, which is like a full season's worth of episodes after he dies. Alright then!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Huh, according to the youtube description, it's supposed to be in S3E10, which is like a full season's worth of episodes after he dies. Alright then!

Maybe some sort of flashback that was supposed to happen? Maybe the FBI guys were gonna be a larger focus moving forward, but the loss of Nancy Marchand ended that plot?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I completely forgot about the episode where Christopher and Little Carmine bother Ben Kingsley to make their dumb gangster slasher movie lol. And for some reason Lauren Bacall is in it?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 15, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man, seeing those deleted scenes is such a mindfuck, there are the characters walking and talking and doing things from right out of the show but I've never seen them before.

Tony realizing why Paulie bought the Lowenbrau is an incredible touch :allears:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

I completely forgot about the episode where Christopher and Little Carmine bother Ben Kingsley to make their dumb gangster slasher movie lol. And for some reason Lauren Bacall is in it?

and she gets mugged by Christopher. :lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HNO7ATCKP8

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just want to say that fireworks clip is hilarious and Janice asking where her hat is is even funnier.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Tony and Bobby getting the giggles and running around like little (drunk) kids :allears:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lighting off fireworks is, and always will be, fun.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Janice idly mentioning how livia tried to kill her at age 13 is a huge loving lorebomb

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkBpnOt_fjQ

junior using baby domenica as a human shield

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Junior one is funny but I can see why they'd cut it, it's a little TOO comical which is saying something for this show.

Stairmaster posted:

Janice idly mentioning how livia tried to kill her at age 13 is a huge loving lorebomb

Really interesting to think that at 13 she would be getting into her rebellious teen years and Livia would have been experiencing for the first time one of her children not only being their own person but one actively defying her or questioning her supreme authority... and also showing signs of an independence and even freedom Livia simply couldn't have, and that would have driven her absolutely insane(r).

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Jerusalem posted:

Tony realizing why Paulie bought the Lowenbrau is an incredible touch :allears:

I refuse to believe that in the 21st century two six packs have ever been sold for five dollars

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I refuse to believe that in the 21st century two six packs have ever been sold for five dollars

There's a grocery store near me that will have closeout prices on alcohol where craft sixers are as low as 2.99 and four packs as low as .99. It's a massive specialty store that has to be seen to be believed so not remotely the same type of store as in the clip but it could happen.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 17, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Human Tornada posted:

There's a grocery store near me that will have closeout prices on alcohol where craft sixers are as low as 2.99 and four packs as low as .99. It's a massive specialty store that has to be seen to be believed so not remotely the same type of store as in the clip but it could happen.

do you live on the Big Rock Candy Mountain? jesus!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I can see why they cut all those scenes. They're mostly unneeded exposition.

But the Lowenbrau clip was hilarious.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s imported!

Tony saying “how about some fish?” then grabbing the box of breaded butterfly shrimp is pretty good too.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 17, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

When I saw the Lowenbrau, it made me wonder if they even make it anymore (?)

Certain brands I just never see anywhere. Molson, Lowenbrau, St. Pauli...Lowenbrau.

In college I used to drink regular Michelob with the gold labels and I haven't seen that in decades. Just Michelob Ultra.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

We have insane government alcohol regs so the cheapest dozen I can buy is a few cents short of $28. 6 packs, I dunno 17 maybe? I don't buy em.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe some sort of flashback that was supposed to happen? Maybe the FBI guys were gonna be a larger focus moving forward, but the loss of Nancy Marchand ended that plot?

I just watched that episode and it is already 50% flashbacks about Pussy. Also there is a Big Mouth Bass.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Another thing I completely forgot was when Christopher just executes his friend the writer out of nowhere. I remember feeling bad when Christopher died and I really shouldn't have... He's much worse of piece of poo poo watching it now than I remember him being in my first watchthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Something I really love about that scene is that Christopher doesn't even register or acknowledge in any way that JT got his gig on Law & Order at last. It was something so incredibly important to JT that he initially hosed up because of his drug use, and when he finally gets his poo poo together enough to claw his way back and get to his dream job, it is completely irrelevant to his "friend" Christopher. Plus, you know... the whole bit mentioned in the spoilers above.