Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hodgepodge posted:

yeah, steam achievements are great for figuring out how many people do any given thing with an atratched achievement in a game

It got real dumb when Xbox achievements first came out and AAA developers lost their goddamn minds over how few people actually finish their games and so started cutting story modes to the bone and/or making them glorified tutorials to drag people to the credits by any means possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Blood Boils posted:

Sometimes the truth is I guess. Probably why filmmakers always punch it up with running and gunning etc

It's been a long while since I've seen End of Watch but it's a very energetic movie

how is the truth lazy? he should've just added more themes to it, that's all. these things are alike isn't that interesting. did he say anything about class? it has been a while but i don't recall he did.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It got real dumb when Xbox achievements first came out and AAA developers lost their goddamn minds over how few people actually finish their games and so started cutting story modes to the bone and/or making them glorified tutorials to drag people to the credits by any means possible

weaklings never figured out what old NES games knew: the secret is to include some cheat modes so people can finish it without effort

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

But letting the player use cheats devalues achievements.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

do steam stats track how many people play certain game modes i know persona 4 has a dumb baby mode for people who hate rpgs and just want to read the visual novel and im curious what the completion for that would be compared to those who play the game with any challenge at all

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I've ever stopped watching a movie that I deliberately started watching, and I've seen some real stinkers like Babylon AD

Some Guy TT posted:

do steam stats track how many people play certain game modes i know persona 4 has a dumb baby mode for people who hate rpgs and just want to read the visual novel and im curious what the completion for that would be compared to those who play the game with any challenge at all

Steam doesn't really have an ability to track how a game is being played by itself - it just tracks "achievements", and it's up to the developer to set-up an achievement that correctly corresponds to a particular milestone in the game.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

I actually quite like the Persona "I'm not a gamer" model of difficulty settings. The Witcher series did that pretty well also. Sometimes I want to see what all the fuss is about, but without having to get 1st place in some dumb racing minigame that's disconnected from how the rest of the game plays. This may have something to do with my reflexes being on par with those of a sloth

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

for the record i agree i used the phrase dumb baby because i think its a funny phrase not because i want to yuck anyones yum

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Some Guy TT posted:

this is why im curious i dont think ive ever seen anyone cite started a movie but didnt finish it statistics before even though this data is definitely being collected

my guess is it just correlates with length and tv shows have much worse rates than movies for this reason some yahtzee video i saw years ago mentioned a study that said only twenty percent of people ever finish a video games story mode which seems plausible

youtube will give you a graph showing you viewer retention over the play time of your video, as part of their general toolset for having you drive yourself completely insane maximising your algorithmic potential.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

but without having to get 1st place in some dumb racing minigame that's disconnected from how the rest of the game plays

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

for the record i agree i used the phrase dumb baby because i think its a funny phrase not because i want to yuck anyones yum

I hate this phrase

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I actually quite like the Persona "I'm not a gamer" model of difficulty settings. The Witcher series did that pretty well also. Sometimes I want to see what all the fuss is about, but without having to get 1st place in some dumb racing minigame that's disconnected from how the rest of the game plays. This may have something to do with my reflexes being on par with those of a sloth

Persona series is one of the few games I play on easy despite actually liking the combat and poo poo in it because those games are like 80 hours long already without needing to grind up or figuring out which broken personas to make.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/BrettRedacted/status/1381624766440861698?s=20

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Anecdotally, I had a former co-worker who, when she felt bored with what was happening in the film, would fast forward until something on the screen looked interesting. At work the next day, she would complain about how the movie didn't make sense

my wife does this, but out of anxiety. like if some stressful situation is happening, she wants to fast foward to the point where its resolved. for years i never understood why she would say she watched all these movies and shows, but could not recall anything that happened in them

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

good movie if you've never seen it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lol

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Jk0E4alrY

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

is that what Australians think is funny

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Judakel posted:

how is the truth lazy? he should've just added more themes to it, that's all. these things are alike isn't that interesting. did he say anything about class? it has been a while but i don't recall he did.

Of course it has things to say about class, it's literally a cop movie set in LA

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

this just makes me wonder how many people bother to finish movies in general

Didn't EA release some player data on mass effect 2 years ago and some tiny rear end number of players actually beat the game and they've used that forever as justification for super crappy late game content and phoned in endings

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't think I've ever stopped watching a movie that I deliberately started watching, and I've seen some real stinkers like Babylon AD
i walked out of Paranormal Activity 2 after the "put a camcorder on a fan and then do the most obvious and hackneyed 'scary' thing possible!" bit.

just straight "i'll see y'all at the bar we were going to afterwards anyway, i'm not gonna sit here and be insulted like this."

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
can't remember the last story driven single player game ive finished

even the AAA titles that sweep the gamies like red dead 2 get boring fast

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Im almost done with Persona 5 Strikers, but im also juggling Yakuza Like A Dragon and Persona 5 Royal. And a few other games ive left on the back burner because I don't have time to do all the things I'd like

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I've started making a real concerted effort to finish big single player games because more often than not I end up getting 97% of the way through, realize I'm almost done, and then dip because I both don't want to have overlooked any content and don't want the fun world I'm enjoying to end :ohdear:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

help there's something wrong with my bird:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvK-DujvpSY

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

KomradeX posted:

Im almost done with Persona 5 Strikers, but im also juggling Yakuza Like A Dragon and Persona 5 Royal. And a few other games ive left on the back burner because I don't have time to do all the things I'd like

what’s the difference between strikers and royal

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

indigi posted:

Strikers is more of a direct sequel to Persona 5 and is pretty much just an action RPG. Royal is an overhaul of Persona 5 with some mechanic fixes and added story content. It's the best way to play Persona 5 took a great game and made it better. It'd probably be my favourite RPG of 2020 if it wasn't for Yakuza: Like a Dragon

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've gotten to the near-end of witcher 3 and maybe 80% done with AC:O and probably won't go back. i'm so bad at finishing games

i can finish factorio in one sitting though

edit gently caress i REALLY need to go finish the ff7 remake. it's so good but i don't like the chase scene lol

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

indigi posted:

Royal is basically the original JRPG with an expansion pack

Strikers was developed by the Dynasty Warriors guys

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

etalian posted:

help there's something wrong with my bird:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvK-DujvpSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_A1GNx0M9M

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

KomradeX posted:

Strikers is more of a direct sequel to Persona 5 and is pretty much just an action RPG. Royal is an overhaul of Persona 5 with some mechanic fixes and added story content. It's the best way to play Persona 5 took a great game and made it better. It'd probably be my favourite RPG of 2020 if it wasn't for Yakuza: Like a Dragon

i'd really like to play persona 5 but for some reason it's not on pc but strikers is?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i keep my fingers crossed that they'll put Royal on pc but Atlus are dummies so...

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

double negative posted:

i'd really like to play persona 5 but for some reason it's not on pc but strikers is?

Yeah P5 is not on PC don't know why

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This is just for PS4, but based on my achievements list, barely 50% of players get past Chapter 2 of RDR2, and not even 1/3 play through past the epilogue.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i can never bring myself to do post game content like if i already saved the world why bother it totally ruins the role playing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

idk I like to chill in the world I've saved and see people being happy and enjoying themselves. the end of BotW was kind of a letdown in that regard

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Botw sucked rear end

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

paul_soccer12 posted:

Botw sucked rear end

cant believe armond white posts here

indigi
Jul 20, 2004