Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't even show your genitals to your friends at work anymore. drat cancel culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
drat LIBTARDS! I SHOULD BE ABLE TO SHOW MY JUNK TO ANYONE I WANT! TRUMP 2024!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

Do we know each other?

Nope, but you were in the SASCAR IRC server one year for the Daytona 500 and we figured out he was two people either below or above (can't remember which) you on the seniority list there. His name was Tyler and I think he was LGA based for a bit before getting ORD.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Pryor on Fire posted:

https://twitter.com/scottiebateman/status/1376136145566765065

once local governments figure out this is possible about half the airports in the USA are going to require commercial airliners to take off like this

Bringing this old post back because I just saw it but I think the biggest problem with implementing this for every TO is that you would only be able to do a fraction of the number of normal TO and landings per runway per day.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Anybody want to go halves on a Blackhawk?

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitdsc/?sl=91QSCI21178601

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Black Hawk Down payment

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Any guesses why we (the western US) just got some big blocks of Class G up to 14.5 show up again recently on sectionals? Until something like 10 or 20 years ago, we had these tall G blocks, but they switched them to E -- so it was always a curiosity pointing them out on the old sectionals on the wall of my flight school. Curious if anyone has a better guess than "they wanted to turn them back into G".

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Any guesses why we (the western US) just got some big blocks of Class G up to 14.5 show up again recently on sectionals? Until something like 10 or 20 years ago, we had these tall G blocks, but they switched them to E -- so it was always a curiosity pointing them out on the old sectionals on the wall of my flight school. Curious if anyone has a better guess than "they wanted to turn them back into G".

Did Victor airways disappear, that the E was for?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Probably not enough utilization as controlled airspace to bother. :iiam:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

vessbot posted:

Nope. The airways haven’t moved.

The airspace in question is up around MSO and GPI, for reference. I don’t know the answer either

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

vessbot posted:

Nah, I don't think there were airways there, and they are still broken up around the airways.

e.pilot posted:

Probably not enough utilization as controlled airspace to bother. :iiam:

Almost certainly true, just seems like a weird thing to change.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Just gonna leave this gem from my home airport here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCJCcssBQzw

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

a patagonian cavy posted:

Nope. The airways haven’t moved.

The airspace in question is up around MSO and GPI, for reference. I don’t know the answer either

Totally guessing here, but maybe it had something to do with radar coverage? I know Kalispell has poor radar coverage at low altitudes, and I'm pretty sure the same is true for Missoula, so that may have something to do with the G vs E airspace decision making at the FAA.

It's also possible that some GPS routes or something else not shown on sectionals changed and influenced the decision, but I learned long ago not to ask why the FAA does anything.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Prefect Six posted:

I like the part where they decided that the altimeter setting was a heading to turn to while taxiing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Prefect Six posted:

Holy mother of Jesus. Is it allowed for the controller to say "8236B, return to your parking space and prepare to copy a number for your instructor to call?"

Like she sounds so green it's not even her own fault. She should never have been allowed out solo

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Holy mother of Jesus. Is it allowed for the controller to say "8236B, return to your parking space and prepare to copy a number for your instructor to call?"

Like she sounds so green it's not even her own fault. She should never have been allowed out solo
Thats what I was thinking. That person was definitely not ready to fly solo. Being nervous as poo poo is one thing. Being unable to follow taxi directions on the ground is another.

Also LOL @ “...you never asked me...”

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I wonder if most of her training had been at a different non-towered airport? I can't imagine someone with enough experience to solo being that bad at following taxi instructions and talking to ATC in general.

DuckConference posted:

I like the part where they decided that the altimeter setting was a heading to turn to while taxiing.

Confession time: On my first solo XC when I picked up flight following I squawked the altimeter setting for a solid minute until the controller realized why he couldn't find me on radar.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

That makes sense, especially since she said she was doing her 3 takeoffs and landings for her private. Those have to be done at a towered airport.

But wheeeeeeerre is her cfi, my god. They needed to be there with a handheld calling her back in. But considering that cfi sent this person off to solo as unprepared as she was, I’m not surprised if they were nowhere around.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Reztes posted:

That makes sense, especially since she said she was doing her 3 takeoffs and landings for her private. Those have to be done at a towered airport.

Oooh yeah that makes sense. Getting the minimum 3 towered operations after having never worked with a tower before.

Yikes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Relative to this conversation... yeah, it's all real funny and considerably cringe, but the truth is you don't hear the opposite of this situation unless someone picks up the telephone.

We had a student (not mine, thank christ) go solo to an untowered field, having been fine in class C, and he proceeded to fly the wrong circuit and just generally make a pig's ear of things. We know because the CFI at the school there rang us. Same problem. We are too focused on legal requirements, and not enough on proficiency. Why? Because we get shat on every time hours are higher than expected. What do you say when the chief instructor says both "your average hours to [benchmark] are too high" and "man, we have a lot of problems with student pilots loving up..." I expect if it's a recurring problem across multiple students with multiple instructors it's not entirely our fault.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

We had that situation at my old flight school. I was getting a lot of crap from my boss for my students going over recommended course times and was encouraged to just put students up for check rides to see if they passed. This continued until the inspector (POI?) from the FSDO changed and the new one was pretty pissed off that we had a first time pass rate way under %80. IIRC it was closer to %50. Suddenly the FAA was up our asses, a few instructors were invited to take 709 rides, and I went from pariah to the golden child in less than a week.

Later I worked for an airline that started doing this same thing. Lo and behold a letter from the FAA leaked a few weeks ago and apparently they're pissed about the number of serious whoopsies going on there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I understand that instructors are supposed to maintain a first-time pass rate of better than 80%, while DPEs are supposed to maintain a first-time-pass rate around 50%. How does that work exactly?

(or maybe I misinterpreted and it was just my DPE saying "I personally fail half the people I get")

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 15, 2021

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Pretty sure there aren’t FAA requirements for pass rate but they do start looking when it drops too low.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't students pay for those hours? Why would the school care how many hours it took before trying to pass?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Don't students pay for those hours? Why would the school care how many hours it took before trying to pass?

Probably so they can advertise low hours to the lenders and/or parents

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

vessbot posted:

This, so very much this.

Our school recruiters would advertise course costs as minimum time * hourly rate. Unfortunately perspective students and their parents believed these to be the actual course cost and not the bare minimum estimates they were. This lead to a whole host of problems and was a huge disservice to our students. I don't mean to make the school sound like a terrible place, it was actually a pretty good place to be a CFI, but it certainly had it's fair share of flaws.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

dexter6 posted:

Thats what I was thinking. That person was definitely not ready to fly solo. Being nervous as poo poo is one thing. Being unable to follow taxi directions on the ground is another.

Also LOL @ “...you never asked me...”

"You never asked me." Jesus H. Christ.

At DCA, it was a requirement you inform the tower that you were on a first solo prior to takeoff.

She bungled her callsign at least once, too.

e-

KodiakRS posted:

This, so very much this.

Our school recruiters would advertise course costs as minimum time * hourly rate. Unfortunately perspective students and their parents believed these to be the actual course cost and not the bare minimum estimates they were. This lead to a whole host of problems and was a huge disservice to our students. I don't mean to make the school sound like a terrible place, it was actually a pretty good place to be a CFI, but it certainly had it's fair share of flaws.

Our school emphasizes that the advertised cost of each rating is the minimum number of hours required by the FAA and that additional training costs may occur based on individual student performance. We try to make it plain (almost typed "plane" there) as day and people still get it confused.

KodiakRS posted:

We had that situation at my old flight school. I was getting a lot of crap from my boss for my students going over recommended course times and was encouraged to just put students up for check rides to see if they passed. This continued until the inspector (POI?) from the FSDO changed and the new one was pretty pissed off that we had a first time pass rate way under %80. IIRC it was closer to %50. Suddenly the FAA was up our asses, a few instructors were invited to take 709 rides, and I went from pariah to the golden child in less than a week.

Later I worked for an airline that started doing this same thing. Lo and behold a letter from the FAA leaked a few weeks ago and apparently they're pissed about the number of serious whoopsies going on there.

God, that feels good, doesn't it? The Chair of the program I started in dragged me through the mud when I expressed concerns about the MX of DCA's planes (which, at our satellite, were shitboxes with more flaws than your typical trainers) only to have to publicly eat poo poo 11 months later when we found out they were leaving and the Chief minced no words in saying our new partner "would have airplanes that worked for a change". :smug:

Never experienced it in 121 as I never got that far, but I know somebody who saw first-hand one growing regional whose training is a horror show.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 16, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

She bungled her callsign at least once, too.

The tower is calling her 36B and she's calling herself 63B every single time. I assume they're giving her a long hard look through the binoculars so I guess that one's on her too

e: no, she must be getting it right because 8263B is a C172 and 8236B is a helicopter. Cmon tower

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 16, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

The tower is calling her 36B and she's calling herself 63B every single time. I assume they're giving her a long hard look through the binoculars so I guess that one's on her too

e: no, she must be getting it right because 8263B is a C172 and 8236B is a helicopter. Cmon tower

When the other plane called in, I was waiting for tower to give them an extremely wide berth in case 63/36B found a way to turn final right in front of them (or worse).

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

vessbot posted:

It's this, and some of the less scrupulous "pilot mill" flight schools are set up to cram foreign students through as fast as possible, with the logic being "well, if they screw up and kill a bunch of people, it'll be in *insert foreign country*, so we really don't care as long as they pass a checkride"

That attitude can get reinforced by the fact that of the school is large enough, they can try and bully DPE's into passing marginal students by simply refusing to use DPE's who they don't think pass enough people.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
This video has made my morning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Shittyaskflying/comments/mr1t5z/instrument_checkride_passed/

The sax squeal at the end gets me every time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slow thread these days.

Why do some METAR stations report "SKC" for sky clear while others say "CLR"?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Slow thread these days.

Why do some METAR stations report "SKC" for sky clear while others say "CLR"?

CLR: Clear below 12000AGL
SKC: Sky clear

When I went through FSS weather class, the NWS guy said "SKC for 'some kid called it'" meaning it's a manual weather observation. I don't know if that's still the case though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, I think I vaguely remember that now. 12000 feet is the limit of the sensors on the automated stations or something. And the ones where I see CLR are primarily ASOS/AWOS stations while the towered airports tend to report SKC so yep, makes sense.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Why do some controllers report “weather is better than 5000 and 5”?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Two Kings posted:

Why do some controllers report “weather is better than 5000 and 5”?

Saves more time for "read back and comply with all hold short instructions" :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

vessbot posted:

Saves more time for "runway 12 and 30 VASIs are out of service"

It's been more than two loving years, guys, just put it in the NOTAMs

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Nobody actually reads Notams.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
It is pretty lovely that important notams will be buried in hundreds of tower obstruction or vdp or mda changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Bob A Feet posted:

It is pretty lovely that important notams will be buried in hundreds of tower obstruction or vdp or mda changes

I was recently teaching my student how to brief a flight between two airports in Washington state and an FDC notam for a private helipad in Indiana showed up, modifying the (private) IFR departure procedure

like come on