Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

we did, but im super sketch on anything past the first flick. Just give me a UHD of The Fly and that's all I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

dorium posted:

we did, but im super sketch on anything past the first flick. Just give me a UHD of The Fly and that's all I need.

The set is worth getting for the classics, IMHO. The Fly II suuuuucks though. I would double dip for the Cronenberg one on uhd though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Xenomrph posted:

Didn’t we just get that cool Fly boxset with all of the Fly movies?
Old masters. All of 'em.

Fly II rules. :colbert:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

RichterIX posted:

I got real sad the other day because I remembered Tai Seng Video Marketing and the number of movies I bought just off the strength of their dumb trailers for, like, Bride with White Hair. Just seeing the Tai Seng logo on something when I was a kid was exciting because it was the only way of knowing at that time with Hong Kong cinema that you weren't going to be getting some kind of bootleg with undecipherable subs.

Between 88 Films and Eureka, you’ll be able to get a serviceable collection of classic Kung Fu, including Bride with White Hair.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Vagabundo posted:

Between 88 Films and Eureka, you’ll be able to get a serviceable collection of classic Kung Fu, including Bride with White Hair.

No region-free player, please kill me

Edit: Yes I am aware of the fact that it's dumb for someone who loves kung fu movies to not have a region free player, I just don't want any more devices.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 12, 2021

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

First, The Fly II rules. If you go into it hoping for more Cronenberg body horror, you're going to be super disappointed, but as a late 80s monster movie, it absolutely delivers the goods big time. The FX alone makes it worth watching. Second, I recall hearing a podcast with the guys from Scream Factory awhile ago (Shock Waves podcast, maybe), and they said something like 20th Century Fox wouldn't let them make a new print for The Fly, they had to use what the studio gave them. It looks fine IMO. Although I rarely watch the 1986 movie. The Fly II is better.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

RichterIX posted:

No region-free player, please kill me

Eureka releases are region free and they also offer free shipping to the USA, no minimum purchase.

Bride With White Hair from Eureka

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ultraviolence123 posted:

Although I rarely watch the 1986 movie. The Fly II is better.

Say what now? :toughguy:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

ultraviolence123 posted:

Although I rarely watch the 1986 movie. The Fly II is better.

Holy poo poo you DO exist!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Franchescanado posted:

Eureka releases are region free and they also offer free shipping to the USA, no minimum purchase.

Bride With White Hair from Eureka

This is big for me if true, but every source I can find says that with the exception of 2 or 3 specific movies Eureka's releases are region B locked.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

RichterIX posted:

This is big for me if true, but every source I can find says that with the exception of 2 or 3 specific movies Eureka's releases are region B locked.

Yeah, my bad. That one is region locked to Region B. Blu-Ray.com has a pick of the back cover and it says so.

If you've got $45, there's a supposedly Region-free blu ray available on Amazon.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ultraviolence123 posted:

The Fly II is better.

:frogout:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The fly 2 is the kind of movie you throw on at 1am while drunk and want to watch people melt and explode in really funny ways.

I get it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

The fly 2 is the kind of movie you throw on at 1am while drunk and want to watch people melt and explode in really funny ways.

I get it.

It's kind of fun but I wouldn't really call it good and saying it's better than the Cronenberg movie is pure loving craziness. It seems like the people who made the Fly II just said "Let's make it really gory and try to out do the first movie!". Except they failed to understand that the first movie hits so hard because the gross poo poo you're seeing isn't just simply repulsive to look at, the horror is completely existential. The creature's final form in the first movie is this horrible twisted mass of goo and flesh but you can still barely see what remains of the human part. Not just physically but emotionally. What's left of Seth Brundle at the end of the movie isn't scary, it's pitiful and tragic. The final transformation of the monster in the Fly II just looks like a regular sci-fi beast. I'm not saying that it looks bad but there's nothing about it that reminds us of its humanity. It's completely different from us and the character never was truly human in the first place. It's much harder to sympathize with him when he turns into that creature, especially when he goes on an ultraviolent kill crazy rampage. Seth does try and kill someone at the end of the first film but it's out of pure desperation it doesn't at all look like he's having a good time with it. The Fly II is gross but the Fly is utterly terrifying.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, my bad. That one is region locked to Region B. Blu-Ray.com has a pick of the back cover and it says so.

If you've got $45, there's a supposedly Region-free blu ray available on Amazon.

Even if that one's not region free, it's a Hong Kong release and they are also region A. It's a recent one too, almost certainly the same remaster as the Eureka disc. That sort of stuff will usually be a lot cheaper to import yourself rather than through amazon though. I usually use dddhouse, https://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=17118

edit: I've got a few Eureka releases where all the packaging says region B locked, but they can still play on a US player. Something with the region lock not being done correctly, they'll throw up the region locked screen but the menu button still works. Sometimes that information is on blu-ray.com, but it's hard to recommend gambling on that for anyone who couldn't play them otherwise.

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 12, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I will say that the dog bit in TheFly II is really sad, and the way the bad guy gets dealt with is great.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Having watched that entire Fly boxset recently, my biggest takeaway was how the second sequel to the original The Fly in fact featured no fly/human hybrid at all.

Also that movie has a really cool opening credit sequence.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

FancyMike posted:

Even if that one's not region free, it's a Hong Kong release and they are also region A. It's a recent one too, almost certainly the same remaster as the Eureka disc. That sort of stuff will usually be a lot cheaper to import yourself rather than through amazon though. I usually use dddhouse, https://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=17118

edit: I've got a few Eureka releases where all the packaging says region B locked, but they can still play on a US player. Something with the region lock not being done correctly, they'll throw up the region locked screen but the menu button still works. Sometimes that information is on blu-ray.com, but it's hard to recommend gambling on that for anyone who couldn't play them otherwise.

I wish some enterprising US company would get ahold of them, I got excited when Criterion started doing wuxia and Jackie Chan movies, but then they kind of just did two of each and haven't mentioned anything else to my knowledge.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Having watched that entire Fly boxset recently, my biggest takeaway was how the second sequel to the original The Fly in fact featured no fly/human hybrid at all.

Also that movie has a really cool opening credit sequence.

Wait what's it have then?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vince MechMahon posted:

Wait what's it have then?

The threat of fly/human hybrids! Oh no! :ohdear:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Xenomrph posted:

I will say that the dog bit in TheFly II is really sad, and the way the bad guy gets dealt with is great.

yeah when i first saw it, that dog bit hosed me up worse than i spit on your grave

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've know I've asked this bunch of times but I can never remember. What are the reputable sites that sell region free blu-ray players?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I've know I've asked this bunch of times but I can never remember. What are the reputable sites that sell region free blu-ray players?

Several of us have used this site in the past

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

RichterIX posted:

I wish some enterprising US company would get ahold of them, I got excited when Criterion started doing wuxia and Jackie Chan movies, but then they kind of just did two of each and haven't mentioned anything else to my knowledge.

If you like the two King Hu movies Criterion put out (and even their Dragon Inn came out three years later than Eureka's from the same restoration), the other ones with recent restorations have been getting (sometimes inferior) US bluray releases and are all fantastic movies I can't recommend enough, though a little less wuxia. Just not from Criterion, so a lot fewer people will ever notice. Legend of the Mountain from Kino, Fate of Lee Khan and Raining in the Mountain from Film Movement. And Raining in the Mountain is at least streaming right now on Criterion Channel.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

FancyMike posted:

If you like the two King Hu movies Criterion put out (and even their Dragon Inn came out three years later than Eureka's from the same restoration), the other ones with recent restorations have been getting (sometimes inferior) US bluray releases and are all fantastic movies I can't recommend enough, though a little less wuxia. Just not from Criterion, so a lot fewer people will ever notice. Legend of the Mountain from Kino, Fate of Lee Khan and Raining in the Mountain from Film Movement. And Raining in the Mountain is at least streaming right now on Criterion Channel.

Thank you I will buy all of these

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MacheteZombie posted:

Several of us have used this site in the past

That’s where I got mine from.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

When the gently caress are we getting a good copy of Come Drink With Me

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeimosRising posted:

This

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

DeimosRising posted:

https://88-films.myshopify.com/collections/88-asia-collection/products/come-drink-with-me-88-asia-24

Go region free, it will make your life so much better.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It bugs me that the US doesn't get kung fu releases, but on the other hand I don't want to upgrade my Dragon Dynasty DVDs and lose the sweet Bey Logan commentaries.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

A lot of the Celestial Pictures dvds from the 00s are pretty good in my experience. It's my understanding that they did a bunch of restorations back then after acquiring the catalog, and I'm no expert but the ones I have on bluray (from 88 films, and some HK releases) look to me like higher res versions of those dvds, I don't think they're getting new masters. This is for the Shaw Brothers stuff specifically, lots of other martial arts movies are getting fresh beautiful restorations and no US releases. Everyone who can play them should buy the Once Upon a Time in China trilogy and Iron Monkey (original un-miramaxed cut!) from Eureka.

Boinks posted:

It bugs me that the US doesn't get kung fu releases, but on the other hand I don't want to upgrade my Dragon Dynasty DVDs and lose the sweet Bey Logan commentaries.

I haven't listened to it yet, but his commentary made it onto the 88 films One-Armed Swordsman. They do a great job with extras, even for a lot of the b- and c-tier movies they release that probably don't need it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The 88 films I think is an upscale from the DVD master, I saw the movie in theatres summer before last and it looked like a much better transfer, but maybe I was just amped to see it because I haven’t heard any news

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Just found the Johnny Mnemonic blu ray for $3 :smug:

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Holy moly they did Mirror

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1382727187321741321

I... am... finally complete.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Deep Cover is loving legit.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This is the first month where im interested in every release. going to need to save up some cash for July.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
That Donnie darko 4K looks so nice but man I can’t imagine spending $40 on that movie

how often does arrow do sales

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Pre-sale currently has it at $32.99 and available via BBY.com, etc.

But I’ve started to realize it’s a 6-9mo cycle between the special edition versions of their 4Ks and the regular one. Waited for Tremors 4K and got it for cheaper than the special edition. But the sales occur here and there.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Blu-Ray.com is down due to a hardware failure! Bummer! What else can I mindlessly click to in the middle of the night to see if some random Blu-Ray has a review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Blu-Ray.com is down due to a hardware failure! Bummer! What else can I mindlessly click to in the middle of the night to see if some random Blu-Ray has a review.

drat! they are where I see deals for movies I buy and then don't watch for 6 months on sale.