Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Yep. The cop who "caught" Jeffrey Dahmer red-handed raping and murdering a minor stood in front of witnesses and released Dahmer's victim, a small boy in bloody underwear with a massive head wound, into the custody of Dahmer who continued killing for months afterwards.

Charges were brought against him for making the dumbest unforced error in police history, they were dropped, and Milwaukee PD rewarded him for being the worst cop in human history by making him head of their police union until he retired fabulously wealthy last year at the end of his 30 year reign of terror over the most corrupt police force in America with nearly 5 times as many complaints as the NYPD despite being only 5% the size of the NYPD.

This guy sounds like the biggest piece of poo poo that ever lived:

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/08/26/us/officer-defends-giving-boy-back-to-dahmer.html

"We're trained to be observant and spot things," he said. "There was just nothing that stood out, or we would have seen it. I've been doing this for a while, and usually if something stands out, you'll spot it. There just wasn't anything there."

Obviously.

American police have go to be the dumbest humans to ever literally exist. No wonder Republicans want to suck their dicks so bad when they're not actively murdering them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Barudak posted:

I had to look into the American School in Tokyo for a family member and a little part of me was like "its not authentically american because there is no chance of being shot to death"

Edit: I'm never moving back to America am I?

They sweep under the rug a serial molester for literally decades so you’ve got that. Maybe to pedestrian to meet lofty American standards tho

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Stink Billyums posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1381790390953578497
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1381767263313817600

it's amazing that biden gives them so little material to work with that they have to go after capitalism

Say what you want about Biden but the man gives them less than jack poo poo to scaremonger about

I don't think this has ever really happened since Fox News turned hard right after 9/11. Kerry had swiftboats, Obama was an easy target for them, poo poo somehow Hillary was easier but an old white dude who for decades has been known as a moderate? Nada.

Also I'm very surprised they haven't really gone after Harris. A Black-Indian woman as VP and she barely registers

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:bahgawd: - "The new law doesn't actually go into effect until July, so TECHNICALLY these mass shooting have NOTHING TO DO WITH the new law!"

Also, in regards to the bulletproof backpacks for children... Someone who knows guns, correct me if I'm wrong, but the AR-15 fires 5.56 rounds, which tear through bulletproof vests and flak jackets, no?

So, these backpacks - which are bullshit for other reasons (doesn't help if the bullet's hitting the child in the sides or front) - don't actually protect anyone from the most common firearm used by mass shooters, right?

It fires .223.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

low key sex master posted:

Say what you want about Biden but the man gives them less than jack poo poo to scaremonger about

I don't think this has ever really happened since Fox News turned hard right after 9/11. Kerry had swiftboats, Obama was an easy target for them, poo poo somehow Hillary was easier but an old white dude who for decades has been known as a moderate? Nada.

Also I'm very surprised they haven't really gone after Harris. A Black-Indian woman as VP and she barely registers

Just wait. If Biden croaks in office and a woman, not to mention one who isn't daughter of the confederacy white, becomes president, Fox News is going to be popping champagne corks because their fearmongering horseshit writes itself after that.

They will no longer have to manufacture outrage. Just a picture of a dark-skinned woman with "PRESIDENT" underneath it will send their viewers into apoplectic fits of unimaginable rage.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Jelly posted:

American police have go to be the dumbest humans to ever literally exist. No wonder Republicans want to suck their dicks so bad when they're not actively murdering them.

People itt were all like "no way she could have mistakenly drawn her pistol when she meant to use the taser, they have trained for that". They seriously overestimate the intelligence, experience, and skills of your average cop. Just a mostly dumb and vicious bunch.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Also I'm very surprised they haven't really gone after Harris.

They back the blue.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Time_pants posted:

It fires .223.

out of clips

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Shanghaied posted:

People itt were all like "no way she could have mistakenly drawn her pistol when she meant to use the taser, they have trained for that". They seriously overestimate the intelligence, experience, and skills of your average cop. Just a mostly dumb and vicious bunch.

Conversely, her job as union head is to talk cops through getting out of being held responsible for shooting civilians - and according to that article I posted, she actually has experience doing just that:

quote:

Potter has worked for the department for nearly 25 years and is president of the Brooklyn Center Police Officer's Association. In that role, she has represented other officers involved in deadly shootings.

According to an investigation by the Hennepin County Attorney's office, Potter was one of the first officers to arrive after police shot and killed Kobe Dimock-Heisler in 2019.

Investigative records show Potter advised the officers during the early stages of the investigation and was present when one officer gave his statement. Those officers were eventually cleared of any wrongdoing.

:stare:

Yeah, if she says she meant to use her Taser, I don't believe her. gently caress that.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:bahgawd: - "The new law doesn't actually go into effect until July, so TECHNICALLY these mass shooting have NOTHING TO DO WITH the new law!"

Also, in regards to the bulletproof backpacks for children... Someone who knows guns, correct me if I'm wrong, but the AR-15 fires 5.56 rounds, which tear through bulletproof vests and flak jackets, no?

So, these backpacks - which are bullshit for other reasons (doesn't help if the bullet's hitting the child in the sides or front) - don't actually protect anyone from the most common firearm used by mass shooters, right?

Time_pants posted:

It fires .223.

.223 Remington and 5.56mm NATO are identical and one can fire the other.

And yes, a 223/5.56 can punch through type I and type II armor like toilet paper.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

It loving sucks because I've been to Tennessee a few times and was really hoping to take my wife to Memphis to do a rock and roll tourism ( Sun Records and Gibson Factory, maybe Graceland too if we got drunk first) then partying on Beale st but not if every second jackass is packing a hidden gun no way

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

.223 Remington and 5.56mm NATO are identical

not quite. Maximum chamber pressure of the 5.56 is higher.
.223 spec chambers are rated lower and really shouldn't fire 5.56.

Edit: I think chamber dimensions are also different, but that relates to headspace.

in practice, it doesn't make any appreciable difference

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 13, 2021

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Castor Poe posted:

Surprisingly, no. Here's the dude in question:

me: mom, can we have brokeback mountain cowboy?

mom: no, there's cowboy at home.

cowboy at home:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

They're satisfied with finding all the slightly racist ways to mispronounce her first name.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LimburgLimbo posted:

They sweep under the rug a serial molester for literally decades so you’ve got that. Maybe to pedestrian to meet lofty American standards tho

Lmao thanks for the depressing heads up my dumb rear end didn't think to check for that. Time to re review all the other schools too

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yeah, this is my understanding. A gun made to fire 5.56 can also fire .223. A gun made to fire .223 can't fire 5.56.

Real-life example - Kyle Rittenhouse fired .223, killed two people, and obliterated the muscle on the arm of a third person. If that was 5.56, it probably would've blown his arm clean off.

It seems like "bulletproof" only really stops handgun calibers, and I don't know if they really do that "reliably."

It's insane that civilians can purchase and use 5.56 and higher calibers.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I wouldn't have said anything, but he did ask.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I'm waiting for this to arrive in the mail and then get lots of compliments and high fives at the beach this summer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

The backpacks aren’t meant to stop bullets, they’re meant to fleece worried parents.

You know what I hear is effective protection against guns? Seriously parents stop being scammed and buy your offspring a gun.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 13, 2021

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Edit: I think chamber dimensions are also different, but that relates to headspace.

in practice, it doesn't make any appreciable difference

It can. If your cheap .223 hunting gun is designed very close to expected .223 specs and has no breathing room, a 5.56 can potentially cause catastrophic mechanical failure.
Probably not, at least not one round, but it's a risk and you'd have to be dumb to try it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I love my children so I buy them tanks. Of course, these are just autonomous drones deployed miles from my secure bunker where the children learn in safety.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Yeah, this is my understanding. A gun made to fire 5.56 can also fire .223. A gun made to fire .223 can't fire 5.56.

Real-life example - Kyle Rittenhouse fired .223, killed two people, and obliterated the muscle on the arm of a third person. If that was 5.56, it probably would've blown his arm clean off.

It seems like "bulletproof" only really stops handgun calibers, and I don't know if they really do that "reliably."

Not quite. It's a single grain difference. There's more variety between professional hand-loaded rounds of the exact same caliber than .223/5.56

They're not dictionary definition perfectly 100% the same, but they're like 99.99999% identical.

That one grain in the 5.56 doesn't change from a pop gun to a bazooka. It just bumps it from 3100 feet per second to 3110.

And, yes, a 5.56 can fire .223, but not vice versa optimally.

So, we can nitpick microscopic details, but for basic non-nerd comprehension, they are effectively identical. Please don't cancel my subscription to gun goon quarterly.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

LimburgLimbo posted:

Speaking of serial molester, did Penn state ever have any actual consequences? I know they had their football records all removed when the news was big, but then had them all reinstated a few months later when it it died down.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Speaking of serial molester, did Penn state ever have any actual consequences? I know they had their football records all removed when the news was big, but then had them all reinstated a few months later when it it died down.

They sued and successfully got their wins back. Got fined 60mil (which they likely made back in a season) and a 4 year bowl ban. PSU alums are still mostly indignant about the whole active pedophile thing.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Depends on what you do with them I suppose.

Over here, I can't legally shoot 30-50 feral hogs boars or deers with an AR-15 because 5.56 is not considered nearly powerful enough for a clean and humane kill on an animal of that size.

cantwellmuckenfuss
Mar 30, 2011

Another Bill posted:

It loving sucks because I've been to Tennessee a few times and was really hoping to take my wife to Memphis to do a rock and roll tourism ( Sun Records and Gibson Factory, maybe Graceland too if we got drunk first) then partying on Beale st but not if every second jackass is packing a hidden gun no way

Skip Graceland, it's a super expensive waste of time. Go to Earnestine and Hazel's for a soul burger.

Actually, skip the entire drat state unless you want a side of covid 19 to go with your hail of gunfire.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Nothing better than 223 Bubba special handloads anyhow. Fill case to top, crush- seat bullet, and over-crimp.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
"I'mma just go buy a deadly weapon and decide I know better and will put objects inside of it that it wasn't designed for no big deal at all guys lol"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Another Bill posted:

You should definitely go to Graceland. They have a room with 3 TVs, and another room with shag carpet on the ceiling. It's rad.

My Graceland story is that I went there years ago when I was but a scruffy backpacker, and had the temerity to laugh at something, (maybe it was the ceiling carpet, maybe it was some of the other insanity), and got glared at by enormously fat Alabamians for not being appropriately respectful. On the same trip, I saw Vanilla Ice perform live at a Bennigans-style family restaurant's backroom. Where again I was looked down on for not treating the concert with the appropriate amount of reverence for the artist.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Catastrophe posted:

"I'mma just go buy a deadly weapon and decide I know better and will put objects inside of it that it wasn't designed for no big deal at all guys lol"

You act like "hold my beer" isn't the bedrock upon which gun culture is built.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Ches Neckbeard posted:

They sued and successfully got their wins back. Got fined 60mil (which they likely made back in a season) and a 4 year bowl ban. PSU alums are still mostly indignant about the whole active pedophile thing.

indignant that Penn state actively covered it up for so long, or indignant that it was interfering with their football?

My own personal opinion, is that every person who knew, or should have known, was drug out of the buildings and thrown in a canal, their pension and anything related to the college stripped from them, and all of them barred from working for any education or government location.

edit:Lol my opinion on the kind of person who would cover that poo poo up so it doesnt hurt "MAH FOOOOTBALL!" is waaaay loving harsher than that, but I gotta tone my word choices down some.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Johnny Aztec posted:

indignant that Penn state actively covered it up for so long, or indignant that it was interfering with their football?

You know drat well the correct answer is the worse one.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

You should definitely go to Graceland. They have a room with 3 TVs, and another room with shag carpet on the ceiling. It's rad.

My Graceland story is that I went there years ago when I was but a scruffy backpacker, and had the temerity to laugh at something, (maybe it was the ceiling carpet, maybe it was some of the other insanity), and got glared at by enormously fat Alabamians for not being appropriately respectful. On the same trip, I saw Vanilla Ice perform live at a Bennigans-style family restaurant's backroom. Where again I was looked down on for not treating the concert with the appropriate amount of reverence for the artist.

I agree with the incensed tourists. Laughter isn't anywhere near the level of reverence you should've been showing. Full-rear end, pants-down mooning would've been about right.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

My own personal opinion, is that every person who knew, or should have known, was drug out of the buildings and thrown in a canal, their pension and anything related to the college stripped from them, and all of them barred from working for any education or government location.

FOOTBAWL

The school should've lost their entire football program. Don't worry though they put a stop to molesting kids. Now just players sexually assaulting each other as part of hazing rituals!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Castor Poe posted:

Surprisingly, no. Here's the dude in question:

Lol
I swear I thought it was the same guy lol

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
So far, the only redeeming thing of Pennsylvania that I see is John Fetterman.

God drat, Can some alien race just come down and take over? Humanity is incapable of governing itself.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

There's armor that can stop rifle-caliber rounds but it's pretty much ballistic plates that can only absorb 2-3 hits before being too banged up to stop anything more. You can get cheap-ish steel ones that will fragment into a billion pieces and shred you when they fail or super expensive ceramic ones that fail much more safely

Back-to-school shopping gettin' complicated! :patriot:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Ches Neckbeard posted:

FOOTBAWL

The school should've lost their entire football program. Don't worry though they put a stop to molesting kids. Now just players sexually assaulting each other as part of hazing rituals!

At least when it comes to college football, there are strong financial incentives for covering up sexual abuses.

Now imagine covering up sex crimes for college wrestling lmao.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Blooster posted:

I tried to sign up for Parler (for trollin') and it actually loving detected I was trying to use a Google Voice number and it wouldn't accept it.

Doesn't GV numbers list themselves as landline or something. I remember 2FA from years ago used to reject that as an option since they thought you couldn't SMS landlines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Shanghaied posted:

At least when it comes to college football, there are strong financial incentives for covering up sexual abuses.

Now imagine covering up sex crimes for college wrestling lmao.

hell add gymnastics to that list cause holy poo poo Michigan State knew about Larry Nassar