Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Oh good, the script has arrived.

Also the bit where Mike and the bots are making crunch noises as they walk around the unpacked boxes sends me into laughing fits every time. Such a great bit.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Doug Exeter.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Also:
INDUSTRY! Science and technology

Big men, turning things, and AD-justing them!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
It's a long par five to our nation's capitol.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Fezz posted:

It's a long par five to our nation's capitol.

Who'd build so far back on the lot

I had the movie on tape and watched it endlessly. Every line is seared into my brain

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And why I have a picture of a burger on the wall.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hey it's a moth equipped with a lightning bug

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

*sounds of a plane stalling out, crashing*

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I'm gonna curl up in his sock drawer, and sleep for days.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Somehow I always, always expect the ending of Rocketship XM to kick in during This Island Earth

It just feels appropriate for that film

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A giant flaming hat was seen over the coast tonight...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'M NOT AN ALIEN

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Being in the UK the show was not available to watch anywhere. So my first experience of the show was via a colleagues MST3K screensaver which had images and quotes from the movie.

The movie was the only thing I could actually get hold of legitimately for quite some time.

I had to wait for someone to circulate the tapes to me via the internet before I could watch actual episodes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Paper Kaiju posted:

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor.

"I tried to pull up. I couldn't. I didn't."
"I died."

*bump bump bump*
"Are you boys cooking in there?"
"Nooo!"
"Are you building an interocitor in there?"

"This isn't paper... some kind of metal!"
"No sir, that's paper."

MST3K: The Movie was my introduction to the series. Some friends had seen it at the local university's sci-fi movie night (this was in the mid 90s) and praised it to high heaven. When I bought a DVD drive, I also imported the US DVD and my brother and I laughed until we cried.

I still maintain MST3K: The Movie is amazing.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 12, 2021

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Because I brought with me to the UK numerous electrical appliances (that I still use) from the USA, 'Are you in Europe? Do you need an adapter' gets trotted out a lot in this household.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Only one toilet on the ship

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Oh, there go the piano lessons! I can't remember my dad!

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Well what kind of poo poo-hole planet is this?!?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Crazy Ferret posted:

Well what kind of poo poo-hole planet is this?!?

That and Servo's other bit of cussing ("Well, whoop-de-poo poo") both made me crack up when I first saw the movie in the theater.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Oh good, the script has arrived.

Also the bit where Mike and the bots are making crunch noises as they walk around the unpacked boxes sends me into laughing fits every time. Such a great bit.

*kzzt* Uh...forty-five, sir. :sweatdrop:

We'll start here. ...At goofy clown face.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

"Aha! So it's bicycles then, eh?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Eastman came out of the east to battle the Amazing Rando!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Puppet wranglers? There were no puppets in this movie.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Andrea "action jackson" ducane

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

So obviously hitting the first goal in less than 48 hours is a great start - but as someone who wasn’t able to participate in the last Kickstarter, how good does it look for them to get the full $5.5M? Is their pace this time comparable to how they did last time?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

So obviously hitting the first goal in less than 48 hours is a great start - but as someone who wasn’t able to participate in the last Kickstarter, how good does it look for them to get the full $5.5M? Is their pace this time comparable to how they did last time?

I wouldn’t take anything for granted, it’s always possible that pledges were unusually front-loaded since they sent the link to everyone who donated last time, but they are way ahead of where they were at this point in the first campaign.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Splint Chesthair posted:

Kickstarters get the majority of their money at the very beginning and the very end and it kind of slows down in the middle. Like the original revival got 800k on day 1 and 400k on day 2 and was middling until the last couple of days where it got 300k and 1 million.

The good news is that they hit the goal faster this time so there's less of a climb to get to the total amount Joel wants.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The thing I always find weird is that you never get like some rich guy who's a huge nerd dropping like a million dollar pledge on these things, like there's at least a dozen Saudi princes who spend fortunes on furry stuff, you'd think there would be at least one who likes this silly puppet show

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

The thing I always find weird is that you never get like some rich guy who's a huge nerd dropping like a million dollar pledge on these things, like there's at least a dozen Saudi princes who spend fortunes on furry stuff, you'd think there would be at least one who likes this silly puppet show

I don't recall the numbers, but there were some last minute pledge cancellations in the first Kickstarter that meant they went backwards a substantial amount (definitely thousands, possibly tens of thousands), and the rumor was that one person upped their pledge for the full amount (probably Jerry Seinfeld, who is friends with Joel and has plenty of money). But that was a rumor and I'm unsure if it was ever verified.

If you have a lot of money and want to invest in something like MST3K, your people call Joel's people and work out a deal. You'd be a fool to go through Kickstarter instead, because there'd be no terms, you'd see no return on your investment beyond the episodes, plus Kickstarter woul take a big cut of the total.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
And let's not forget that there were multiple pledge levels available for five figures that all sold out in that first day. I know that's not millionaire level but God knows it's more than I'd ever have available to drop, on a whim, on a puppet show.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Kickstarters get the majority of their money at the very beginning and the very end and it kind of slows down in the middle. Like the original revival got 800k on day 1 and 400k on day 2 and was middling until the last couple of days where it got 300k and 1 million.

The good news is that they hit the goal faster this time so there's less of a climb to get to the total amount Joel wants.

Cool, thank you. I’m excited about the idea of the show becoming completely independent and never needing to beg for airtime ever again. It’s never going to be any more than a cult show, so why not keep it in the cult?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
One thing that helped last time was that they were really good at pumping out announcements about the cast and crew periodically, which would usually result in some periodic decent bumps in pledges. I don't know what rabbits Joel can pull out of his hat this time, but I'm optimistic because Ivan Askwith is back on board, and he is very, very good at coordinating these things.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I know covid ruins everything lately, but I really liked the goofy party that was at the end of the first kickstarter. A few of the celebs showed, a lot of fan groups got to explain what MST3K meant to them, and it ended with a big theme song sing-a-long with Joel quickly changing back into Gizmo jumpsuit.

It had all that silly, adult/kid show energy that I adore MST3K for. It's probably impossible and unethical to do it now, but man it was a great way to send off the kickstarter.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Crazy Ferret posted:

I know covid ruins everything lately, but I really liked the goofy party that was at the end of the first kickstarter. A few of the celebs showed, a lot of fan groups got to explain what MST3K meant to them, and it ended with a big theme song sing-a-long with Joel quickly changing back into Gizmo jumpsuit.

It had all that silly, adult/kid show energy that I adore MST3K for. It's probably impossible and unethical to do it now, but man it was a great way to send off the kickstarter.

It was also a technical disaster, which was part of the overall charm of the evening.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If a Best Brains-descended streaming event went off without a hitch, I think it'd be the first.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

If a Best Brains-descended streaming event went off without a hitch, I think it'd be the first.

Well thank goodness a Best Brains-descended streaming service isn't the core of this entire campaign, or anything.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

rydiafan posted:

Well thank goodness a Best Brains-descended streaming service isn't the core of this entire campaign, or anything.

Rifftrax is pulling it off, hopefully Joel is getting advice from them this time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The fact that the two groups are still good friends is such a wholesome thing to me.

It's a shame Mike has the air sickness thing preventing him from traveling much even without the plague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is the second Tuesday of the month so reminder that tonight is another The Mads livestream. Tickets are $10 and you get a download of the show after it ends. Just a reminder, you have to buy a ticket before the show starts (8pm EDT) as you can't buy an archived version after. This month is Night of Shorts 3.