Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So is the school exploding at the end of season 2 cannon?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not in the manga anyway. I wouldn't be too surprised if they make an off-hand joke about it in the anime next season though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

I bet it'll be revealed that it was a dream

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It's not like they acknowledge the way season 1 ended.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I do understand and sympathies with the desire to see some sort of continual progression in a show; even one that seems oriented towards wholesome goofiness. I think there were developments in S2, so I hope S3 continues basically.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
There was plenty of development, but you have to remember that there are multiple main characters beyond the titular Kaguya and her paramour. The final three episodes were dedicated to the background and relationship of Iino and Ishigami, which will continue into the next season.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think my favorite character is Fujiwara simply because she constantly chooses chaos

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The female singer from the 2nd season OP made this for halloween:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSQfnfTFud0

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 29, 2021

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm so glad they're adapting that chapter

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Don't talk about milk while I'm drinking nipples.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So youtube recommended me clips of the dub for this show and the Narrator sounds like he's just done a rail of cocaine and is absolutely hyped to rant about whatever the hell he wants and the recording studio is scared to take his mic away.

It's like Ghost Stories with fewer Jewish and gay jokes.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

The dub narrator turned me off at first because I kept comparing him to the godly original, but he grew on me. He gives the show a enough of a different vibe that I'm finding myself re-watching the entire thing dubbed now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Eyre Kneed posted:

The dub narrator turned me off at first because I kept comparing him to the godly original, but he grew on me. He gives the show a enough of a different vibe that I'm finding myself re-watching the entire thing dubbed now.

I think it fits. He's not going for suave, he just doesn't give a gently caress and his loud sarcasm still applies really well to the situations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The narrator is Ian Sinclair, who also does Whis in Dragon Ball Super, Dallas Genoard (douche!) in Baccano!, Berkut in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, Leo Niiboshi in Sarazanmai and quite a few other roles. And if it seems to you like he's committed to hamming it up, well give yourself a cookie because that's the right answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZcksyoqEac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw59rmYxzYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx-A67J8RTo

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The sub VA comes off as much more impartial which works quite well but there is also something to be said for an idiot who is finding himself too invested in all these idiots.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Ian Sinclair will always be Space Dandy to me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Regardless of intentions this is a good dub that knows where to make changes and localize references. The Narrator did a loving SpongeBob reference.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I deeply dislike the Kaguya dub. I get what they're going for but deeply sarcastic is not a direction that I feel works for the narrator.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Sarcastic narrator was the only thing i had to hear before immediately deciding to never listen to even a second of the dub. It's such a colossal misread of like the entire series, I can't understand how anyone could make that choice.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Nah its good actually.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Like all dubs, it is a crime against all that is right and good with the world.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Count me among the people who hated the dub narrator. The juxtaposition between how deathly serious they treat their dumbass teenager problems and how totally not-serious they actually are is the entire joke, and the super dramatic narrator also treating everything completely seriously is a huge part of that. Having the narrator be in on the joke just kills it.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I haven’t watched the Kaguya dub but Ian Sinclair also plays a sarcastic narrator in How Heavy Are The Dumbells You Lift and he’s great in that (though I haven’t watched that subbed so I don’t know how different an interpretation from the original it is like the Kaguya one seems to be).

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Droyer posted:

Which dub hurt you

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
For me it was Netflix evangelion, but I don't hold it against all dubs.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
The Japanese cast has to be one of the best things about the anime as a whole. The various promotional stuff they did like streams and the official radio show are lots of fun to watch. This clip has been floating around for ages but only recently got translated - definitely worth a watch: https://youtu.be/iwYVKPdjrVc

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Droyer posted:

Yeah. I thought the JP narrator wasn't deadpan enough, ENG is unwatchable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yall are weird he's a funny hambeast.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Let the dub/sub wars end. For decades, I've been worn down. I can no longer fight on.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i think the dub is pretty good. personally i think the narrator comes across as an obnoxious sports announcer which kinda fits. i never really saw him as sarcastic. kei's voice is pretty bad though. that said i didnt watch the sub so maybe its just that much better

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Let the dub/sub wars end. For decades, I've been worn down. I can no longer fight on.

Weebs. Weebs never change.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz6YwrFfCvY

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I like the sub narrator because having deathly serious Akagi-style play by play juxtaposed against their incredibly cute and low stakes flirting is hilarious.

I like the dub narrator because it's like you're watching along with a charismatic goofball friend who read the manga and is filling in the usually unspoken subtext, like catching you up on some wholesome insider gossip.

Both are good.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rohan Kishibe posted:

For me it was Netflix evangelion, but I don't hold it against all dubs.

Not sure if you saw this, but probably relevant:

https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1376266404307955712
https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1376272031553966080

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Thats wild.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

OVA Preview:

https://twitter.com/anime_kaguya/status/1390622449671098374?s=20

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

BlitznBurst posted:

Count me among the people who hated the dub narrator. The juxtaposition between how deathly serious they treat their dumbass teenager problems and how totally not-serious they actually are is the entire joke, and the super dramatic narrator also treating everything completely seriously is a huge part of that. Having the narrator be in on the joke just kills it.

I agree completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Disagree. I find him funny. And that's okay.