Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

MarcusSA posted:

I dunno about the cash grab part but he’s right about just doing a sequel. That’s a lot of dev time for minimal gains.

We only have his word that it would take 2-3 years though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Quick sanity check: is it normal to get addicted to Elex? (that is the game, not the drug)

A huge part of me is saying that I should quit Elex and play the million other better put-together games in my backlog: heck, I haven't even played the Witcher 3 or a bunch of other similar genre games. There's just so much jank and clunkiness to Elex that gets in the way and made me almost quit a bunch of times, and yet, I just keep coming back to play more? I dunno what it is about it, maybe it's the crazy factions and their huge differences in tech like a Civ game gone wrong, or maybe it's just the really long lasting sense of progression due to how harsh the game world is (though it is to my dismay done through numbers and stats more so than player skill). It's very odd. Please, let me know if this is a worthwhile endeavor, or save me by saying it's not worth it.

Eurojank is a special kind of magic

The games are obviously Not Good for many reasons, but they somehow have some powerfully compelling components

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen a truly eurojanky game or dev go AA or AAA in a sequel or new game and really come out feeling the same

Metro Exodus is about as close a good example as I can think of, but I couldn't get in to those games despite multiple attempts

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FutureCop posted:

Quick sanity check: is it normal to get addicted to Elex? (that is the game, not the drug)

A huge part of me is saying that I should quit Elex and play the million other better put-together games in my backlog: heck, I haven't even played the Witcher 3 or a bunch of other similar genre games. There's just so much jank and clunkiness to Elex that gets in the way and made me almost quit a bunch of times, and yet, I just keep coming back to play more? I dunno what it is about it, maybe it's the crazy factions and their huge differences in tech like a Civ game gone wrong, or maybe it's just the really long lasting sense of progression due to how harsh the game world is (though it is to my dismay done through numbers and stats more so than player skill). It's very odd. Please, let me know if this is a worthwhile endeavor, or save me by saying it's not worth it.

Everyone has their own Eurojank game made for them that just clicks. Not everyone has found theirs yet.

victrix posted:

Eurojank is a special kind of magic

The games are obviously Not Good for many reasons, but they somehow have some powerfully compelling components

:hai: :hmmyes:

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Anyone recently buy any games they regretted? Tell me about them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FutureCop posted:

A game can be obviously extremely flawed, yet still oh so fascinating and enthralling. It can become an obsession to beat it. To overcome it.

I know it all too well.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

err posted:

Synthetik - The UI and controls are a nightmare. There's probably a solid shooter underneath there somewhere, but everything layered on top of the "deep expert balance" is trash.
The Witness - Imagine someone who loved Myst as a kid saw the success of The Talos Principle and thought "I can do that!"; but tragically when it came time to QA his puzzles he had already passed out from huffing his own farts from all the terrible pretentious "philosophy" he'd put in.
Dead Space - I suspect just because I installed it last year and had no nostalgia for it. It was probably a good game fifteen years ago on a console or something?
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - A game I was excited for when it was announced, but could never get working until recently. 17 minutes in and I'm already livid at the slow time-wasting pace of the tutorial. Whoops.
StarCrawlers - Beautiful presentation masking awful insipid grindy gameplay. Ugh.
Dungeons 3 - I made a huge long effort post for the Steam review, but td:dr is that DK1/2 are just better games.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Mierenneuker posted:

A game can be obviously extremely flawed, yet still oh so fascinating and enthralling. It can become an obsession to beat it. To overcome it.

I know it all too well.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

err posted:

Monster Hunter Rise. Going off Monster Hunter World on PC to MHR on Switch is harsh. The only positive I can say about it is that they added a new movement mechanic which is neat, and you can now have a dog and a cat, and you can ride the dog around. That's it. The hub and the levels are very small and lack in detail. The levels are more vertically open but they pale in comparison to something like the Ancient Forest from MHW. It feels like a step back in every aspect and not enough new stuff.

Surviving Mars: its too slow and nothing much happens. The mechanics are boring.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 13, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I only played Dead Space for the first time a few years ago, and felt it mostly still held up. Maybe a bit too long, but it's a very atmospheric survival horror.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

FutureCop posted:

Piranha Bytes makes one really interesting RPG over and over again. Three factions, a hand crafted world that feels extremely believable, enemies that look as dangerous as they are. They typically put in choke points that gate off areas with stronger enemies, but they deliberately leave ways for players to bypass their gates.

The maps in their earlier titles were made from actual physical model sets iirc. They have some downright inspired level design at times. The start of Risen 1 is absolutely perfect with its use of verticality.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
After playing a decent amount of Evil Genius 2, yea its basically the origonal game with better graphics and some systems a bit easier to use. It still is really hard to manage your heat level and not being under constant assault, but its no worse than the first game. Passive income is pretty good as well. It does lack the one thing I loooooooved about the first game, the loot. You could go on capers to steal a giant diamond or a space suit or a big dish and you're scientists would look at it and that's how you got cool new tech. Now its just a standard tech tree and it's easier to plan out your tech and you can go for stuff you need, and takes the randomness out of research, but I did find that a lot of fun.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm just randomly perusing the store, Space Hulk: Deathwing looks fun, is it?

I have minimal knowledge of 40K.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

I know it all too well.

I got as far as, I think, the second mission before I realized there was literally nothing to build upon gameplay-wise and I'd seen everything it could possible offer.

twistedmentat posted:

After playing a decent amount of Evil Genius 2, yea its basically the origonal game with better graphics and some systems a bit easier to use. It still is really hard to manage your heat level and not being under constant assault, but its no worse than the first game. Passive income is pretty good as well. It does lack the one thing I loooooooved about the first game, the loot. You could go on capers to steal a giant diamond or a space suit or a big dish and you're scientists would look at it and that's how you got cool new tech. Now its just a standard tech tree and it's easier to plan out your tech and you can go for stuff you need, and takes the randomness out of research, but I did find that a lot of fun.

The problem with the original research system was randomness sucks rear end and you were stuck hoping your scientists would go look at that one loving thing you needed them to in order to research something and whoops they got killed by an Agent, or there was an alert, or...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they solved money and research being pains in the rear end but what replaced them wasn't particularly interesting or creative.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they solved money and research being pains in the rear end but what replaced them wasn't particularly interesting or creative.

I mostly like Evil Genius 2, but my real bugbears are the T3 research taking waaaay too long to reach, and only being able to do one Side Story at a time rather than one per category.

It's still better than the Spacebase Startopia remake by miles at least.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

One of my fondest memories of Risen 1 is seeing a farm and thinking the people there would be friendly, maybe offer me some food in exchange for killing monsters, only to get knocked out and conscripted into an order of warrior-monks.

I then ended up solving a murder mystery in the monastery by posing as a weed seller.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Unexpected, but welcome.

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/1381925380622192642

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Someone probably realized if they spend a ton of time pushing the Nier Remaster release in May, a bunch of people were going to be curious about Nier Automata and 99% of the comments would be "terrible port, almost unplayable"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

One of my fondest memories of Risen 1 is seeing a farm and thinking the people there would be friendly, maybe offer me some food in exchange for killing monsters, only to get knocked out and conscripted into an order of warrior-monks.

I then ended up solving a murder mystery in the monastery by posing as a weed seller.

I'm fairly certain that the farm people let you do some busywork then warn you to not get noticed by the inquisition or you'll get conscripted. You can sneak into the city and enlist properly, which leads you to join the mages, you can get conscripted (no cool magic for you, just chump magic), or you can join the rebels.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

I'm not sure why anyone thought this wouldn't happen (e. after Game Pass got an updated version).

easy for me to say that now, but whatevs

Kennel fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 13, 2021

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I got as far as, I think, the second mission before I realized there was literally nothing to build upon gameplay-wise and I'd seen everything it could possible offer.

As someone who has seen every corner of that game I feel like I have to go and say: yes, you did.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

From what I've heard, the new GP version of Nier Automata does not fix everything (and FAR modded old Steam version is still better), but if they update the Steam version to match I'm interested in seeing what modders can do with it.

I just want a working version out of Microsoft's terrible locked down store.

Superanos fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 13, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hrmm... is it time for me to play Nier again
and again
and again
and again

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

err posted:

Not recently bought, since I've owned it for years, but I recently played Dying Light to completion and was definitely let down by it, considering the years of goon hype and my own early impressions. As mentioned in a previous post, I thought enemies became too spongy even using a fully-modded, highest damage available weapon. To be exact, I didn't mind the tougher, special zombie types, it was more the way crowds of generic shamblers were scattered with zombies-in-slightly-different-clothing that would take upwards of five swings to go down instead of getting decapitated in two. I didn't think the defensive game was very interesting either, yes you could grapple charging dudes but you'd invariably take hits random flailings. Finally, the human-on-human combat just becomes a miserable, subpar shooter full of laser accurate hitscanners and all your movement abilities (the best part of the game) go out the door.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

I'm fairly certain that the farm people let you do some busywork then warn you to not get noticed by the inquisition or you'll get conscripted. You can sneak into the city and enlist properly, which leads you to join the mages, you can get conscripted (no cool magic for you, just chump magic), or you can join the rebels.

I must have done a bad job of avoiding the inquisition, then. :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/robzacny/status/1381961251207585796?s=21

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This sucks and I wish I could refund a game I got a year ago

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rinkles posted:

No, wait for darktide if you want a 40k shooter co op thing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Nope!!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Rinkles posted:

Unless you are a 40k superfan and have 3 friends who are also super fans to constantly play with you, nope. It's trash. Single player is abysmal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h67R-sfff9g

Drakonis
Dec 18, 2011

"That will go down among my worst boners."
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1471410/SYNTHETIK_2/ :siren: Early access in 2021 :siren:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Rinkles posted:

Even as a fan I think it’s hot garbage. You don’t make a superpowered death dealing genetically engineered warrior monk feel floaty, their guns which fire shells the size of a human head that are designed to detonate upon contact feel tinny and weak, it’s all a massive disappointment.

Relic’s Space Marine is much better, as is the wonderful Battlefleet Gothic Armada.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I figured this would happen after the first game blew up, and after updates stopped. Synthetik and ROR2 are just about the only roguelikes I can stand, so looking forward.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Even as a fan I think it’s hot garbage. You don’t make a superpowered death dealing genetically engineered warrior monk feel floaty, their guns which fire shells the size of a human head that are designed to detonate upon contact feel tinny and weak, it’s all a massive disappointment.

Relic’s Space Marine is much better, as is the wonderful Battlefleet Gothic Armada.

God, Space Marine was so fun. I wish they'd make another one of those.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Begemot posted:

God, Space Marine was so fun. I wish they'd make another one of those.

I always hoped for a DLC where your corpse got put in a Dreadnaught :sigh:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

This is a shame and disappointing, I remember first seeing this game and hoping for the best but it is sadly not surprising a game dev team didn't make the effort to learn or understand indigenous representation issues in media and didn't get some kind of historical advisor. Also sad because I play some of their other historical games, and have enjoyed them.
Maybe the bad press will pressure them to reach out and make changes and they'll stop digging in their heels :negative:

If any goons get tired of playing videogames a good and sad book on native american history is Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

This is unfortunattttte. I’m a rly big fan of anything at all mount and blade style gameplay adjacent so was hoping this would be good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Gaziter/status/1381901438775885830

Beginning to not like Forager's dev cycle

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Was there anything to like before?

I was baffled that they seemingly had enough expertise to work on adding multiplayer, yet they couldn't fix the large amount of bugs and technical issues I encountered when I played that game. For many of them I found reports from when the game originally released. Turned out they didn't have the expertise or even basic people skills to make it happen.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Darkrenown posted:

I always hoped for a DLC where your corpse got put in a Dreadnaught :sigh:

There was MP DLC that let you do that.

Best 40k games are Space Marine, Both Battlefleet Gothic Games though there's no reason to buy the first one, Dawn of War 1 and 2, and Mechanicus. All of those are fine to grab and just start playing except for Mechanicus. It focus on the Tech Priests of Mars and their whole thing is they worship technology and they're up against Necrons, who with the most recently 40k starter release got upgraded to major enemy faction within the story, but it's not super 40k like if that's what you're looking for. Robotmen vs Cyborg Priests.

Some I like but have mixed feelings about are Inquistor; Martyr and Gladius. Martyr is a Diablo style game while Gladius is a 4x game.