Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Thanks for doing all this archival work for Dark Laughter! I’ve really enjoyed it. When you started posting it I was surprised at how modern it felt...then I realized it looked modern largely because it’s so rare to see Black people in the vintage comics (who aren’t drawn like Ick, anyway).

Just to clarify, I have a bunch more Dark Laugher - the quality is just a bit poo poo.

And He Did! (October 15, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 13, 1918)

Banana Oil! (February 12, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (May 28, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (October 26, 1935)

Mopsy (December 25, 1936)

Dark Laughter (October 16, 1943)

Those Were the Days (September 25, 1952)

Wee Pals (July 17, 1965)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Twelve by Pies posted:

Dying to make sure a corporation didn't lose a few hundredths of a cent in pocket change of profit. An American hero. :911:

To be fair it was RadioShack so there was never much profit involved.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

The Bloop posted:

When I worked for RadioShack back in the day, a store manager chased a shoplifter outside over a $50 TV remote and got stabbed and died

I worked at a supermarket in a strip mall and was there the day when an employee at the liquor store next door chased a thief out into the parking lot, was stabbed, and ran into our store for help. Our rear end in a top hat assistant manager yelled at us while we were taking care of the guy, calling 911, etc. ("THAT'S why you don't chase shoplifters, people!") and then I got to mop up the trail of blood from the entry through Produce into the back room. Lesson learned, dammit.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

readingatwork posted:

To be fair it was RadioShack so there was never much profit involved.

Not true at all. Very profitable until several key executive fuckups in their last year.

Source: I know all about that poo poo

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac believes it, and that's all that matters.

I've been calling those things old lady radar hats for so long, I completely forgot I got that from Cul De Sac.

Blah blah and they get in and it's decorated fancy and not like pirates, WE KNOW.

Anyway, it's normal in Luann to start a story and let it go for two weeks and then leave it hanging so that Team Evans can run off and do sections of a few other stories before eventually coming back. But they started this one and then spent one week on the Luann's Mom Got Flirted With non-story before coming straight back to this. Why bother? It served no purpose at all, except to let the air out of the balloon.

The gently caress is wrong with you?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Gunther's planning on getting fukken twisted tonight you dumb bastard

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

whats up we got new foster kittens so i was away all day

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slammy posted:

Just to clarify, I have a bunch more Dark Laugher - the quality is just a bit poo poo.

Dark Laughter (October 16, 1943)

Worse art but much clearer text. What a tradeoff.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Saoshyant posted:

How many celebrity cameos did you identify?

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Aug 20, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 4-5, 1989)

Don't be a narc Suzie.

Robbie and Bobby

^^^I think this is my favorite one.

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Julet Esqu posted:

I've been calling those things old lady radar hats for so long, I completely forgot I got that from Cul De Sac.

Blah blah and they get in and it's decorated fancy and not like pirates, WE KNOW.

Anyway, it's normal in Luann to start a story and let it go for two weeks and then leave it hanging so that Team Evans can run off and do sections of a few other stories before eventually coming back. But they started this one and then spent one week on the Luann's Mom Got Flirted With non-story before coming straight back to this. Why bother? It served no purpose at all, except to let the air out of the balloon.

300$ and...what was it, one day notice?
It's gonna be dollar store decor

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

So, my posts here are long enough already, but there's another strip I've become fascinated by -- mostly because of the unusual pedigree of its creators.

Alicia Patterson Guggenheim, of the Yes-Those-Guggenheims, came from newspaper royalty -- her great-grandfather was managing editor of the Chicago Tribune, and her father founded the New York Daily News. She would eventually go on to found Long Island's Newsday.

Neysa McMein was already famous as a magazine and commercial illustrator and portrait painter. She was also a leading light in the New York social scene -- she hung out with the Algonquin Round Table crowd, her studio was a meeting place for celebrities, and she was a world-class party host.

And in 1942 they got together and created Deathless Deer, which ran in the Daily News.

Deathless Deer 11/9-11/42

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I think I heard about it while looking for something to post. It looks interesting, I look forward to it!

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

The best tennis player in Idaville, during the heyday of tennis, is an elementary school boy?

On a side note, something very weird about the strip is that I read some Encyclopedia Brown stories when I was younger than he is in the stories but never read another. So all these years he's been filed in my brain as "older than me". Seeing him very young is disorienting, ridiculous as that is with a fictional character (and 40 year old strips).

curtadams fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 13, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.

Green Intern posted:

Are we gearing up for another murder arc?
You might just get your wish.

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

:woop:

I'm awake so i'll just post these now

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

:3:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I started thinking " Goddamnit Tinkersons, if you are gonna do something, DO SOMETHING!" as the "Serial Killer" thing , while it had a few good gags, didnt really go anywhere, BUT
then I had a thought.

Like, a strip, or show where the main characters, aren't the main characters. They run into alot of weird poo poo and situations, but only the edges of it. Not even secondary characters, but third and fourth level.
You wouldn't need, or get, to see the resolution, or the whole story , only where it happens to cross the paths of Joe Somebody.

and that's kind of where I am seeing the Tinkersons right now.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I agree. I've long thought this was a cool idea that just wouldn't be feasible in most media that's focused on big plots rather than small interactions. But right now the Tinkersons totally read like a background characters in the setting of some kind of police procedural. I hope they never meet the main character of that police procedural, since their unwitting reactions to ongoing events is a big part of the charm.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I am so excited for this turn of events in Tinkersons.

And big :3: to Rae the Doe.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

I don't say this enough, but I absolutely love Footrot Flats.

Also :3: Rae.

Classic Kevin & Kell (September 18-24, 2000)

If this feels familiar, it's because K&K already did a week of strips riffing on the Olympics in 1996. (Because yes, it's already been four years since then.)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Seems out of character almost for a member of the main K&K family to actually be bothered by carnivore culture being entirely about murder.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 3, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 3, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 3, 1989)

Aside: I know this isn't the thread for it, but as another former retail worker, the stories you all were telling a page or so really interested me, so if there's a place you have or would expand on them, I'd love to read more.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/12/01

Brenda Starr 4/7/46

For quick comparison, here's the pre-makeover look:

Smokey Stover 7/7/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

“Princess Deer, there is a Mr. Bootsie who would like to speak to you!”

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "19 - Jucika at the Beach"

"Napola=Sunblock, ilyen barna lesz=Your tan will be this brown"

"Jucika's Moving Complaint"

"Panasziroda = Complaints department"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TampaTango posted:

“Princess Deer, there is a Mr. Bootsie who would like to speak to you!”

Mr Bootsie, I appreciate you offering to come up to my palace to help conquer the Nile River delta, I just bought my cousin Rocko along with me to help.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pastry of the Year posted:

Aside: I know this isn't the thread for it, but as another former retail worker, the stories you all were telling a page or so really interested me, so if there's a place you have or would expand on them, I'd love to read more.

Surprisingly, Ask/Tell doesn't have a thread for retail workers. As is seen in this thread, there's certainly demand for such stories. So I went and made one. And I'm assuming we have permission from Darthemed not to have to quote them every time we want to steal an imgur link because that would be very annoying.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 4/7/46

For quick comparison, here's the pre-makeover look:

They appear to have replaced the sink and bathtub with a vanity and dining table. And the stove is now a clothes dresser. So uh, good job there.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Green Intern posted:

They appear to have replaced the sink and bathtub with a vanity and dining table. And the stove is now a clothes dresser. So uh, good job there.

It seems like they also removed the only source of light (beside the small ground level window) and very cleanly removed the electric outlet from the ceiling.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tina's Groove Classic (August 3, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 3, 1999)

There's an edit in this but I can't seem to get it quite together

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 4/7/46

Is there anything stopping the landlord from immediately increasing the rent and/or kicking her out and getting someone who'll pay more in there now that she's done the place up?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Well, Brenda's old apartment had nothing but a hot plate to cook on ... although at least she had a fridge, too.

Having read ahead a bit, I can tell you the "dining table" is just a board laid over the tub. A bit inconvenient, but then this is the forties, when baths were weekly instead of every day. I'm not sure what's up with the sink/vanity, though.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Green Intern posted:

You think that's bad, now she has to poo poo in a breakfast nook

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Selachian posted:

Deathless Deer 11/9-11/42

3000 years deer beautiful, dangerous, throne of ago, Princess Imperious occupied the Egypt's kings.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Bald baby? Baby weave.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

Surprisingly, Ask/Tell doesn't have a thread for retail workers. As is seen in this thread, there's certainly demand for such stories. So I went and made one. And I'm assuming we have permission from Darthemed not to have to quote them every time we want to steal an imgur link because that would be very annoying.

There is however a 700+ thread in Business about why working retail sucks.