Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1381709130633785350?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1381713909590192131

wherein: the Californian is the chud and the Texan is not

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I seem to remember Marcus Stroman calling out Randall Grichuk for being an All Lives Matter jackass.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hand Knit posted:

I seem to remember Marcus Stroman calling out Randall Grichuk for being an All Lives Matter jackass.

maybe he got better

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

IcePhoenix posted:

maybe he got better

Would be nice, but I will continue on the principle that each and every pro athlete is awful until there is very clear proof otherwise.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

No Safe Word posted:

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1381713909590192131

wherein: the Californian is the chud and the Texan is not

I don't get it, he's wearing a Barstool Sports hat. I mean yeah they suck but what is it beyond that?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
as much as I would love for all my favorite athletes to avoid Barstool, I have made my peace with the fact that the average athlete is not nuanced enough to read beyond the 90s shock jock humor

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hand Knit posted:

I thought he was a total trump chud. Good for him on the GA law.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
New Defector article up in which a new accomplishment is invented: The Saint Cycle. In a display of pure selflessness, the batter must walk, HBP, sac bunt, sac fly, and hit into a "productive out."

ESB identified 3 instances of this happening, including this dapper dude:

(Sub to The Defector if you haven't already and can afford it.)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1381735368073052165

Deck chairs on the titanic, etc.

Adam was actually pitching well, Workman and Winkler less so, and to add Strop they'd had to have opened up a 40 man spot for him, a complication dodged by guys going on the IL for covid-related reasons.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's only what a week into the season and I've already resigned myself to seeing everyone gone by the trade deadline.

Just don't send anyone to the Cardinals.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Whooops this isn't the gameday thread!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I wonder how much he pays Ruby annually.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

For the last few years the Cubs have been trying to get Eric Sogard but I could never figure out why...

Mystery solved- gotta click the link sadly to see the full glory.

https://twitter.com/KFidds/status/1381777685291036673

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Rejoice, all is once again right with the world, and the Cubs are once again the laughingstock of baseball. Hopefully this is a sign that the hell dimension they tore open in reality by winning the 2016 WS is starting to close.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Hand Knit posted:

Would be nice, but I will continue on the principle that each and every pro athlete is awful until there is very clear proof otherwise.

Pretty much. Now that Curtis Granderson is retired, I don't trust any baseball player to not be terrible.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/1381807967767564293?s=20

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MLBastian/status/1381807967767564293

I want to be clear, this is not a situation where Mangles posted this just as I did, and I make a joke about how I was just beaten. No, I am posting this tweet a second time, on purpose, for emphasis.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Who could have seen this coming outside of everyone who watched this offense for the past few years?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One positive about Ricketts being a cheap gently caress is they didn't lock up any of these guys to long term deals.

Rizzoli owns though and should get an extension.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

One positive about Ricketts being a cheap gently caress is they didn't lock up any of these guys to long term deals.

Rizzoli owns though and should get an extension.

gotta get isles also

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the Cubs are BACK BAYBEE!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Still worth it for 2016.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is Nico in the minors because of service time manipulation or do they really think Sogard is better?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I hated Sogard for looking like a loser nerd, so it's gratifying to learn that his wife is a hard right weirdo.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Cubs are dead last in hits per game, but they're 14th in the majors in ISO because a quarter of those hits are homers.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

This stat includes their 0-14 start in the 90s

Yet they are 4-6 in these games

We watch a really weird sport

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

Pretty much. Now that Curtis Granderson is retired, I don't trust any baseball player to not be terrible.

Doolittle?

e: Collin McHugh as well

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Michael_Cerami/status/1381788535922044928

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Glad he's succumb to cubsposting on the field.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

don’t look now but the Angels have the best record in the AL (jinx)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Still worth it for 2016.

:smugdon:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
This is good right?

quote:

After two full turns through the rotation, concerns over the front five that the front office diminished are on full display. Cardinals starters have thrown just 43 2/3 innings. The team’s relievers? 44 1/3

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Maybe the Cardinals could use some of that $50M the Rockies gave them to improve their pitching

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mike_V posted:

This is good right?

There was a clear need for a veteran innings eater starter with a proven (average) track record and a clear need for an outfield bat.

Then Mikolas and Bader went down to make it even worse. This front office is so loving stubborn and DeWitt's so loving cheap.

The outfield is hitting 189/256/358.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 13, 2021

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

bees x1000 posted:

don’t look now but the Angels have the best record in the AL (jinx)

The Angels offense has been as good as expected but it'd be nice if there was a bit more balance. They've got 4 guys OPSing over 1.000 and the rest under .600. The pitching hasn't been great but half of that has been Quintana going 5IP in 2 starts.

Maybe we'll see Adell or Marsh up soon to take over full time in right field. I'd much rather that than Walsh in RF and Pujols at 1B.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Man, remember when the Angels had a bunch of good pitchers and then just Vlad and what felt like a bunch of slap hitters. How the tables have turned

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Fletcher’s bat has been really cold

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Jacob deGrom has a 2.06 ERA since the start of the 2018 season

the Mets are 36-42 in his starts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Nodoze posted:

Man, remember when the Angels had a bunch of good pitchers and then just Vlad and what felt like a bunch of slap hitters. How the tables have turned

I always think back to 2012 when the Angels had one of the best offences in baseball and a starting rotation of Weaver, Greinke, Wilson, Haren and Santana with a solid bullpen and didn't even make the post season.

It seems like its been forever since they've even brought out a starting rotation that looks good "on paper" let alone actually performs. They always run out a bunch of #4-#5 starters that might be able to put it together long enough to not get straight up released.