Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
they fired the wrong former celtic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Andrew Marchand posted:

According to sources, ESPN was particularly miffed that Pierce chose to put the videos out on his own accord. If he had been filmed doing the same activities and they became public by someone else, he may have kept his job.

Amazing

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

well i guess that means we're never getting NBA Analyst James Harden

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ESPN acting shocked that NBA players enjoy lap dances :laffo:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuH91bQXDuE

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/MMcCarthyREV/status/1379210050191900677

Gotta say, that's an extremely Paul Pierce way to lose a cushy studio job

i hope he goes back on ig live and one of the strippers pushes him in a wheelchair on camera

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Does anyone have Aussie Rules rights this year?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Nothing stateside as of the end of March.

No American rights for AFL would suck because when I have a hankering for Aussie Rules I will find the most questionable goddamn Chinese stream if I have to in order to watch a game.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 6, 2021

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Crazy Ted posted:

Nothing stateside as of the end of March.

No American rights for AFL would suck because when I have a hankering for Aussie Rules I will find the most questionable goddamn Chinese stream if I have to in order to watch a game.
It won't be all of them but I downloaded the 7plus app (via VPN) for this reason. It stinks that it's on in the middle of the night where I am though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought Fox Sports usually does? I just checked with USAFL, looks like three matches a round are on FS2.

Otherwise Watch AFL is reasonably priced ($150 USD full season) for the whole year and has every game live and on replay.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

I thought Fox Sports usually does? I just checked with USAFL, looks like three matches a round are on FS2.
Fox Sports has had the US rights for years of course, but as of the end of March they actually don't have the US rights for the upcoming season. Why? dunno

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
You can go to the official AFL site and see full replays of any game free. That’s it right now. And I think they go up there the day after the game so it’s not live.

https://www.afl.com.au/matches/match-videos?Competition=1&CompSeason=34&GameWeeks=3

Edit: I don’t know about regional restrictions but this works in the US

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 7, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GutBomb posted:

You can go to the official AFL site and see full replays of any game free. That’s it right now. And I think they go up there the day after the game so it’s not live.

https://www.afl.com.au/matches/match-videos?Competition=1&CompSeason=34&GameWeeks=3

Edit: I don’t know about regional restrictions but this works in the US

:stare: it’s broken out quarter by quarter but there you are.

(More people should watch the AFL, it’s actually a really cool sport)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

I first saw it in the late 80s back when I was a teeny kiddo and ESPN would basically show anything that was or could be considered a sport.

My first summer memories as a pre-K kid include coming in after playing and watching either A) a Cubs home game or B) ESPN's usual afternoon regimen of monster truck rallies & tractor pulls or C) I came in early to do A or B because the neighborhood raccoon family saw our kiddie pool in the backyard and decided they needed to go for a swim.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 7, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

I first saw it in the late 80s back when I was a teeny kiddo and ESPN would basically show anything that was or could be considered a sport.

That’s what inspired dudes in the Midwest to start what became the USAFL, which is the national body for the amateur leagues.

And Australian sports fashion for AFL players has wrapped back to wild mullets and unfathomable mustaches, so the 1980s are truly back.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

harperdc posted:

Oh hell yes, perfect work background TV

I can’t stay up until 3am watching these games live anymore :(

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Never gets old to me.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

didn't expect this

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1381592355363549185

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
He sounds like the world's most desperate sycophant on mike lombardi's podcast. Maybe this will give him some happiness.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/killakow/status/1381632892485386242?s=19

bill simmons is mad that jim nantz didn't do a racist enough call of a japanese guy winning a golf tournament

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
What Simmons wanted Nantz to bust out:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Bill simmons made too much money.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm still convinced that Simmons is so concerned about "cancel culture" because at some point he took his Kareem Abdul Simmons schtick too far and there is a terrible photo lost somewhere in the Holy Cross archives.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
you do not have to go that far back you can just read his best selling basketball book where he is constantly gross and weird about women and race and at one point brags about intentionally getting his wife pregnant without her consent. his page 2 columns are also filled with all sorts of garbage stuff that would get him killed now

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

not that it makes it okay in any way but if you are willingly listening to Bill Simmons to hear his takes on The Masters then you probably also think Jim Nantz should have the freedom to be a bit more racist.

howe_sam posted:

I'm still convinced that Simmons is so concerned about "cancel culture" because at some point he took his Kareem Abdul Simmons schtick too far and there is a terrible photo lost somewhere in the Holy Cross archives.

I stopped listening to him like 3 years ago and even then he was 2 years into his weird tirade about how comedy is dead because people are too sensitive. he'd bring it up to every comic he had on and outside of Adam Carolla most people were like "yeah I guess times change but that's comedy."

BWV fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 12, 2021

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Is it time for “Bill Simmons was always bad but at least he didn’t write like the old stuffy white men boomer writers before him so everyone overlooked how bad he was” takes?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Isn’t that what happened.

I don’t get what your going for here

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
bill simmons is the rick reilly of sportswriting

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

He sounds like the world's most desperate sycophant on mike lombardi's podcast. Maybe this will give him some happiness.

I'm really curious to see how he lasts having Vince in his ear for three months.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

bill simmons is the rick reilly of sportswriting

:hmmyes:

Simmons dumb and out of touch, this really shouldn't be a surprise at this point.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://deadline.com/2021/04/american-gladiators-doc-espn-30-for-30-vice-studios-ben-berman-1234732187/

quote:

A documentary about American Gladiators, widely considered one of the first reality competition series, is set as ESPN’s latest 30 for 30.

Deadline understands that the untitled documentary, which explores the story of the show, which ran from 1989 to 1996 and was later rebooted by NBC in 2008, comes from Vice Studios and ESPN Films.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh HELL yeah

E: and yeah Nantz was clearly running in his head through a list of "this will probably get me fired if I say it" when Matsuyama iced it and just went for a simple call, although the "land of the rising sun now has a favorite son" line was... yeeeesh.

What really stuck in my craw though was when they were back in the cabin and Jim Nantz, a guy who's been in broadcasting for longer than a lot of us have been alive, leans into the dumbest loving mistake and talks to Matsuyama's translator instead of Hidecki himself. A bunch of "can you ask him" poo poo and come the gently caress on Jim, this is broadcasting/journalism 101 poo poo.

Hidecki understands English just fine, he just has a hard time speaking it. There is no way a guy that's been in this game as long as Jim goddamn Nantz doesn't know to speak to the person he wants to interview instead of his translator. It also wasn't as if Matsuyama won as a total nobody or right at the end or anything. They had plenty of time to prepare for this.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 13, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

*Hideki, there's no ck in Japanese.

I'll keep my ears open if Nantz's interview really ruffled any feathers over here but I haven't seen anything. that sounds cringe-worthy though, ugh.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

and it's not like he came out of nowhere to win. He had a huge lead after the third round. To be that unprepared is ridiculous.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/killakow/status/1381632892485386242?s=19

bill simmons is mad that jim nantz didn't do a racist enough call of a japanese guy winning a golf tournament

https://twitter.com/EinLeigh/status/1381682639191556097

Losing my mind at his fantasy call

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I don’t think Jim Nance would’ve been cancelled had he said that, everyone just would’ve scratched their heads and said “what they gently caress is he talking about?”

Upon review I guess that’s what Bill is saying too? In any event, what a magical hypothetical. Maybe Dennis Miller can call The Masters next year.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 13, 2021

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

May you have the confidence of a mediocre white man.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Here’s my fantasy call for if Charl Schwartzel wins another Masters:

“Aaaaand were not in Kansas anymore, Toto! Charl Schwartzel is Masters champion at Augusta once again! May the Schwartzel be with you!”

(Because Toto sang the song “Africa” and Charl is from South Africa. Also, the lead singer of Toto is Joseph Williams, son of legendary composer John Williams, who, you guessed it, composed the music for Star Wars.)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Promotion: Subscribe to 10 or more Ringer Podcasts on Spotify and receive your very own Bill Simmons Dad Joke Decoder Ring

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

General Dog posted:

I don’t think Jim Nance would’ve been cancelled had he said that, everyone just would’ve scratched their heads and said “what they gently caress is he talking about?”

Upon review I guess that’s what Bill is saying too? In any event, what a magical hypothetical. Maybe Dennis Miller can call The Masters next year.

You know Simmons thought that up the night before and ruminated on it all night in bed. "Yes, this reference, it's so good, so stealth. I am a genius."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

"it would've be really underground and nobody would've gotten it"

Me talking about how I want Jim Nantz to make a reference to a song by the band Asia from the 1980s.