Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hackan Slash posted:

Octane became meta mostly because he now has the best horizontal team movement in the game and wraith got dumpstered between hitbox and portal changes

im glad wraith got dumpstered between hitbox and portal changes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
How did the meta change so much in the last few weeks when wraith and lifeline were still a+ picks with amazing win rates?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

tildes posted:

What are the best new guns/which legends are currently considered pretty good? I haven’t played since season 1 or so, and I’m super out of the loop on any balance changes etc. Is there a place to look for current summaries?

a dev has posted in the fairly recent past that legend win rates don't meaningfully statistically diverge until you're looking at the top ~10% of players in terms of skill

legend choice matters, but it's pretty far down the list of things that matter compared to building familiarity with all the guns etc

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Hackan Slash posted:

Octane became meta mostly because he now has the best horizontal team movement in the game and wraith got dumpstered between hitbox and portal changes

is octane jumppad preferred over zipline for team mobility now?

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Revitalized posted:

I'm no expert, but if you come at it sprinting at full tilt, and go into a crouch right as you hit it, it' seems like it's faster than a zipline. You can also change your direction midair, and it's much harder to lead shots on you compared to just aiming slightly further down the big yellow target.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Revitalized posted:

compared to ziplining which is incredibly loud and obvious except in the most hectic of situations, the jumpad movement is almost entirely silent which makes it superior for getting the jump on a squad.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Don't think I've ever heard zip line audio for a user placed zip line from an enemy.
I have heard the ping of one being placed though.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Pathfinder and wraith got dumpstered too hard. Remember old pathfinder Q? I miss it.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

compared to ziplining which is incredibly loud and obvious except in the most hectic of situations, the jumpad movement is almost entirely silent which makes it superior for getting the jump on a squad.

Also, they nerfed the way you could jump on a zipline over and over again so its super easy to hit people on the zipline.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MarshyMcFly posted:

Also, they nerfed the way you could jump on a zipline over and over again so its super easy to hit people on the zipline.

This is good because you could make your hitbox teleport repeatedly before they dumpstered it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

MarshyMcFly posted:

It's weird that I almost never see people jump on the zipline anymore when all they did was limit the number of times you could grab it again. It's still there. You can still use it to avoid getting shot. You just can't spam it the entire time now.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I'll still do it a couple of times but I forget what the exact max is so it's only good for so long.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's an increasing cooldown, so its really only worth doing twice.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/RKRigney/status/1381811087318921216

I hope they do something about servers making my "frame rate" really choppy even when my actual FPS is 100+.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Why does server lag affect your frame rate to begin with? The net code in this game is uniquely odd. Is it really polling the network on every frame?

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

i'd wager its the age old thing that people think higher tickrate = better
there was a study done in CSGO where people played on 30, 60 or 100 tick servers and asked to guess what the tickrate their server was.
the results shows minimal (pretty much nil) correlation between tickrate and in-game performance, and that players who did well in-game were more likely to think that the tickrate was higher (when really it was pretty randomly distributed between them)

would appreciate a general stability improvement, some servers are complete rear end and connecting to a game is a diceroll if it'll be fine and normal or the oldest blade on the rack that chokes up and noregs like mad

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I'm still rarely getting assigned a teammate in duos with fill enabled

Does this bug only affect certain accounts or something, I haven't seen many complaints about it

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://twitter.com/RKRigney/status/1381811087318921216

I hope they do something about servers making my "frame rate" really choppy even when my actual FPS is 100+.

I hope this doesn't fix the bug where sometimes a game plays out at like 1/3rd speed, it always makes me laugh when it happens.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

repiv posted:

I'm still rarely getting assigned a teammate in duos with fill enabled

Does this bug only affect certain accounts or something, I haven't seen many complaints about it

About 1/3 of my games in solo trios have a missing teammate. When that happens I just hot drop, try to get a few frags, and move on to the next game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Yellow Yoshi posted:

i'd wager its the age old thing that people think higher tickrate = better
there was a study done in CSGO where people played on 30, 60 or 100 tick servers and asked to guess what the tickrate their server was.
the results shows minimal (pretty much nil) correlation between tickrate and in-game performance, and that players who did well in-game were more likely to think that the tickrate was higher (when really it was pretty randomly distributed between them)

would appreciate a general stability improvement, some servers are complete rear end and connecting to a game is a diceroll if it'll be fine and normal or the oldest blade on the rack that chokes up and noregs like mad

My opinion that always gets me flak is that a game with a poo poo tickrate is still competitive so long as everyone has the exact same poo poo tickrate.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Maybe I have low standards because I feel like pretty much all modern multiplayer FPSs play fine. Occasionally I'll get the start-of-match slowmo in apex, but that's only like 1/50 games. Never do I get any hit registration issues.

Compared to the days of p2p hosted multiplayer of last generation, games now are pretty much perfect to my eyes. :shrug:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

War Games is live, first event is Second Chance.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

About 1/3 of my games in solo trios have a missing teammate.

Same. It got better for a couple of weeks, but it's been like this pretty much all season.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Neither the "play games" or "get top 10 finishes" event challenges are progressing for me

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

the new event owns lol. every fight lasts super long as people keep respawning, and every fight invites third, fourth and fifth parties

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

The few games I've had the 3rd partying has felt way less intense which I pinned down to everyone being still involved in the aforementioned long fights.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i do not care for the new mode.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

After falling back in love with Siege recently, I think the only thing that could get me back into Apex would be ranked duos. So that's a never, then.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

War Games is live, first event is Second Chance.

...which is what?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Second Chance is pretty fun but even more fun is not using your respawn until the last ring, then using the 30 second out of bounds grace period to plant yourself somewhere completely obscure until the fighting dies down and then poaching the win in a "REMEMBER ME?!" fashion

Because I'm a prick

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

xtal posted:

...which is what?

You respawn once for free when you die. You can also manually trigger it while knocked.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

Songbearer posted:

Second Chance is pretty fun but even more fun is not using your respawn until the last ring, then using the 30 second out of bounds grace period to plant yourself somewhere completely obscure until the fighting dies down and then poaching the win in a "REMEMBER ME?!" fashion

Because I'm a prick

lmao gently caress I didn't even think of this. Must try.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

wa27 posted:

Maybe I have low standards because I feel like pretty much all modern multiplayer FPSs play fine. Occasionally I'll get the start-of-match slowmo in apex, but that's only like 1/50 games. Never do I get any hit registration issues.

Compared to the days of p2p hosted multiplayer of last generation, games now are pretty much perfect to my eyes. :shrug:

The few games I hit start of match slomo + got an early wingman were pretty amazing, would almost consider it a feature

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I would just like to say thanks respawn for saving me a minimum of $20 by putting zero effort into your lovely event recolors once again.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This takeover is buggy as hell, I keep getting games where I get 0 credit for half a dozen kills.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

SKULL.GIF posted:

This takeover is buggy as hell, I keep getting games where I get 0 credit for half a dozen kills.

That's called "being my teammate"

I got the Bloodhound skin because I was too poor to get it when it first came out and blue is my favourite colour so God said I had to

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

SKULL.GIF posted:

might be related to them turning off the assasin/wrath/wake (kills/damage) badges for the event

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
not a fan of this particular LTM. fights wind up insanely dragged out - routinely playing for 10+ minutes and there are still like 14 squads left, lol

at one point we pushed into estates and were like "huh someone else must have had the same idea" because there were still like four squads fighting. nope, that was the hotdrop teams lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Cretin90 posted:

I would just like to say thanks respawn for saving me a minimum of $20 by putting zero effort into your lovely event recolors once again.

The fact that the weekly store is just the same old poo poo we've always seen when they've literally got two dozen recolors that they haven't bothered to rotate in is pretty nuts too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CoolCab posted:

routinely playing for 10+ minutes and there are still like 14 squads left, lol

It seems like all the takeovers this year have been them live-experimenting how to better fill up a match with action -- ring flares to push together or separate teams, respawns so there's more action throughout any given match instead of a huge burst at the beginning then nothing, faster ring movement based on how much killing is going on.