Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

whypick1 posted:

DoT never leeches

DoT never leeches, but leeches can DoT: https://pathofexile.fandom.com/wiki/The_Retch

I really wish GGG would go back and make all those wacky uniques viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'm feeling some low life cyclone impale maybe? Not facebreakers. Quinn was going through the items in the wiki that had "low life" attached to them and some look interesting. As it is for every season, I just want something that can allow me to do all the content. I generally only play one build a season.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

poemdexter posted:

I'm feeling some low life cyclone impale maybe? Not facebreakers. Quinn was going through the items in the wiki that had "low life" attached to them and some look interesting. As it is for every season, I just want something that can allow me to do all the content. I generally only play one build a season.

I'm really interested to see what (if any) help low-life gets on the new passive tree. Petrified Blood is already a fairly interesting defensive option - if more skill types get damage boosts on the tree similar to Pain Attunement, look out

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

poemdexter posted:

As it is for every season, I just want something that can allow me to do all the content. I generally only play one build a season.

Same, but this patch seems pretty intent on shaking up the meta in a lot of ways. The 1%'er currency generating strats got put into the ground (though they'll just come up with others). A lot of the most common league start builds are eating SOME degree of nerfs.

That said, I think typical league starter builds will still get you to maps at least (esp since you can just zerg crap down worst case), but it wouldn't surprise me if they want a lot of those builds to not be able to kill Sirus a8/9 and so on anymore (without insanely good gameplay at least, if you want a 30 minute Sirus...).

I wish we had more time between patch notes and launch to help plan more, esp with big shakeups.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

gonna league start FP totem heiro this league since all my other choices were blapped by the manifesto, and its always been a pretty strong easy character. freezes basically everything in maps which helps with corpses

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Right so I read it again and while I can see how you could infer that interaction, I think what actually happens is something else.

So the minions technically are getting both effects of "your minions have chance to deal double damage" and "you have chance to deal double damage" because they have the effect of your buff and the buff itself.

No this is not the reason, you're overcomplicating things. Things that apply to "you" do not apply to your minions. Full stop.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

queeb posted:

gonna league start FP totem heiro this league since all my other choices were blapped by the manifesto, and its always been a pretty strong easy character. freezes basically everything in maps which helps with corpses

The new-ish hexproof helm is pretty nice and frees up a ring slot for essence worm

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Holy poo poo 3.14 is this week??

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jay Rust posted:

Holy poo poo 3.14 is this week??

hell yeah

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Cinara posted:

No this is not the reason, you're overcomplicating things. Things that apply to "you" do not apply to your minions. Full stop.

True. If you have Unholy Might your minions don't deal extra damage. But Avian's Might has both a "you" line and a "your minions" line. Normally you would be the one with the buff and so there's no confusion. Saqawal's nest however shares the buff with allies, and minions ARE allies.

So they end up with two buffs, the actual Avian's Might buff, and the "your minions" line of your Avian's Might buff. They don't stack because they are the same source, but they could potentially get the buff from another player wearing saqawal's nest while you are out of range to get it. In that case the minions would still get the chance to deal double damage because they are the "you" on their version of the buff even though you, the owner of the minions, don't have it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

queeb posted:

I considered this, but the number of map mods it can't handle made it seem kinda miserable for a starter

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Saqawal's nest however shares the buff with allies, and minions ARE allies.

Had to re-read Saqawal's and after I did I was 100% sure it should work the way he wanted it to. Nothing in PoE works like how you are saying, the lines of the buff are different so both should be applying.

The real issue is ZeroVGS didn't know how to use POB correctly.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm going Skellies. It's been a long time since SkellyGirl came out to play...

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Deki posted:

For people who went Divine Ire last season, how good of a starter/leveler is it?

I'm still being an indecisive coward about what I want to play, and Divine ire is on the table if one of my other prospective builds get nerfed.

Its honestly excellent, as long as you like the playstyle

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
One day away from patchnotes I'm thinking Skeleton Mages or Skeleton Archers for a build. I wanna offscreen and have an easy time while also being able to build on survivability. The less time spent clicking in this wrist&sinew murdering game the better, yaknow. We're not getting any younger.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Seconded. Divine Ire is fantastic to start and once you start gearing and investing the damage keeps increasing scales well into the end game

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

One day away from patchnotes I'm thinking Skeleton Mages or Skeleton Archers for a build. I wanna offscreen and have an easy time while also being able to build on survivability. The less time spent clicking in this wrist&sinew murdering game the better, yaknow. We're not getting any younger.

Patch notes are today. Probably in a couple of hours.

I've thought about this build a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCpOvfGjhwk

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 13, 2021

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Cinara posted:

Had to re-read Saqawal's and after I did I was 100% sure it should work the way he wanted it to. Nothing in PoE works like how you are saying, the lines of the buff are different so both should be applying.

The real issue is ZeroVGS didn't know how to use POB correctly.

Well krangle my belt and call me a headhunter. Guess I was reading too deep and was trying to justify it backwards. That'll teach me to trust the random reddit thread that said "yeah I tested it l, it works X way".

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
How's DIre tankiness? All the POBs I see are 4.7k life elementalists with no big defensive layers, which makes me a bit wary. Is Primal Aegis/golems strong enough to make up for that low life?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Ele on its own is pretty tanky just by having all the golems out, combined with standard stuff like Fortify/flasks/CWDT.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Elswyyr posted:

How's DIre tankiness? All the POBs I see are 4.7k life elementalists with no big defensive layers, which makes me a bit wary. Is Primal Aegis/golems strong enough to make up for that low life?
Go inquis and get like 8k ehp with es/life hybrid and slap corrupted soul on it

Or just get more life nodes on elementalist and some endurance charge generation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Life can be an issue because both ring slots and the neck may be uniques with no life

(DI element)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Elswyyr posted:

this was my biggest problem with the build last league.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Of note for anyone trying out the DIre ignite: it's night-and-day different clearing once you get Berek's Respite to let your ignites chain off of each other. (for now).

I suspect the ignite prolif radius will get nerfed in today's notes.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

queeb posted:

I'm considering this, since I did plan on playing a totem build at some point this league. How good is this build before you get a 6L Soulmantle?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Hamelekim posted:

Patch notes are today. Probably in a couple of hours.

I've thought about this build a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCpOvfGjhwk

Timezones are confusing and that video is up in my other tab. I like builds that do not require This or That to function unless they're dirt cheap/free uniques and that one wants some area level 34-85 Heists of the right kind, glass cannon but at least it's not melee, and scales wonderfully. Interested but after watching it feels like I'll take a skel mage build after all, patch notes permitting.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Devor posted:

Of note for anyone trying out the DIre ignite: it's night-and-day different clearing once you get Berek's Respite to let your ignites chain off of each other. (for now).

I suspect the ignite prolif radius will get nerfed in today's notes.

I tried Berek's Respite with DI ignite in Ritual and it felt totally redundant with and outclassed by chest explode, but with the chest explode nerf it might be the best way to go if it's not being nerfed as well

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hmm is deadeye lancing steel worth starting considering i rarely play more than 2 characters a league

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Elswyyr posted:

I was getting one shot by a lot of super end game things which is par for the course for every single one of my builds ever. However, I tend to go glass cannon on my builds and still Dire was tankier than a lot of other builds I've done in previous seasons. Just don't get hit, duh.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Awesome! posted:

this was my biggest problem with the build last league.

Golem shell Ele has an innately large EHP pool vs elemental damage (with aegis) along with default ele ailment immunity (as long as your golems are alive). So your main weak points are phys and chaos mitigation. This is where I think Ele’s design really shines as you actually get to make interesting tradeoffs in damage/tank here to arrive at your preferred play style. The ascendancy isn’t insanely tanky vs everything right out of the box, but it’s a good start and makes for some interesting character building options.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Its super easy to cap your resists overall as an Elementalist that I found it super easy to have like 30~40 chaos resists for a while and i maxed out on it after investing more into my gear.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

Hmm is deadeye lancing steel worth starting considering i rarely play more than 2 characters a league

probably not unless things have changed recently.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Deadeye lancing steel seems like it'd be a rough start, especially compared to Champion. Champion lancing steel is great - you'd probably start with shattering steel on Terminus Est and run that in early maps, switching to lancing later on when you have paradoxica and saviour.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1382061028964405248

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

pork never goes bad posted:

Deadeye lancing steel seems like it'd be a rough start, especially compared to Champion. Champion lancing steel is great - you'd probably start with shattering steel on Terminus Est and run that in early maps, switching to lancing later on when you have paradoxica and saviour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HklKnyRb0I

Don did a video on just this (with basically that advice) and while I would caution that DtC is a little too obsessed with melee and he has pretty expensive top-end stuff, it seems like this might be okay

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

nice feature that I will definitely forget to use

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I didn't even know you could control click on vendors until last league

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Papercut posted:

I didn't even know you could control click on vendors until last league

Same

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

thats why tane is the optimal vendor. ctrl clicking him goes right to the sell screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

thats why tane is the optimal vendor. ctrl clicking him goes right to the sell screen.

Why does Tane even need to hang out in my place? He has his own house! I should be able to invite Lilly Roth instead. She lives on a haunted boat, that can't be great.