Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Once and Future is really, really good.

Hell of a snipe, I'm referring to the Humble Bundle posted on the previous page

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/best-year-of-boom-studios-books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I generally like Rick Remender but I think I'll be dropping The Scumbag as it really emphasizes all of his worst edgelord tendencies. The idea of a total piece of poo poo ending up with super powers is fine, but this month's issue introduced a group of antagonists who might as well be called the social justice warriors and I'm not digging it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I generally like Rick Remender but I think I'll be dropping The Scumbag as it really emphasizes all of his worst edgelord tendencies. The idea of a total piece of poo poo ending up with super powers is fine, but this month's issue introduced a group of antagonists who might as well be called the social justice warriors and I'm not digging it.

That's good to hear, I had picked up the first issue and liked it but it's nice to know I'm not missing anything.

Stillwater is good, by the way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Was it Remender or Nick Spencer who pulled that same trick in Captain America?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Was it Remender or Nick Spencer who pulled that same trick in Captain America?

I think Spencer. It was in the Falcon Cap series right after Steve got de-aged/Nazified IIRC.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of Remender how did Deadly Class wind up? I really enjoyed the first... five (?) trades I ran and of course liked the only season we got of the TV show.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Speaking of Remender how did Deadly Class wind up? I really enjoyed the first... five (?) trades I ran and of course liked the only season we got of the TV show.

Still going but on hiatus since last May (apparently to return next month). I kind of forget what was going on in recent issues but I must have enjoyed it enough to keep my subscription active.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Scumbag is definitely Remender playing with all of his impulses for good or bad. I'm enjoying it, but I haven't read the latest issue yet.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

JordanKai posted:

Origins and Wynd are both pretty good. We Only Find Them when They're Dead is amazing of course, but I think most everyone already knows that.

Sounds good, I hadn't heard of it, but I've been under a rock. I'm even an Al Ewing fan, since he's written for good ol' 2000AD. I may have never read a Boom comic, for some odd reason.

On Remender, I had the first Fear Agent library thingy, and I realized it was too mammoth for me to actually hold and read. I think it weighed 200 pounds, I sold it. But I will read it digitally sometime.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Heavy Metal posted:

Sounds good, I hadn't heard of it, but I've been under a rock. I'm even an Al Ewing fan, since he's written for good ol' 2000AD. I may have never read a Boom comic, for some odd reason.

Read Giant Days.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cloks posted:

Read Giant Days.

Will do! That's been on my radar, I'll bump that up the ol' list.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Decided to try maniac of new york and will say that I also found it pretty good so far

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I gave up Scumbag after the first issue. Whoever said edgelord is right. The book just wants to shout at the reader what a loving awful arsehole the protagonist is over and over again to the point that each panel just felt like a giant "gently caress you" being shouted in my ear.
Picked up the first issue of Manic of New York due to being recommended here and enjoyed it quite a bit. Tried to get issue two but it was sold out but my LCBS is getting more in.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I just realized I never actually saw the Peter David/Todd McFarlane debate despite constantly hearing about it ever since it happened. I never knew it was on youtube in it's entirety. It's pretty wild, and I wish there were more of these legendary panels recorded for posterity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYYsLflp9gU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The Rivals of Aether team just announced a new comic book coming out to do some worldbuilding for them, written by Ian Flynn:

https://aetherstudios.com/news/tales-of-aether-a-new-comic-series-coming-in-2021/

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Does anybody remember the name of the comic where it was about a guardswoman protecting her princess/queen and on they're on the run with the twist said royalty had also been turned into a tiger?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Does anybody remember the name of the comic where it was about a guardswoman protecting her princess/queen and on they're on the run with the twist said royalty had also been turned into a tiger?

Isola! I was just cleaning my library up a little yesterday and unfortunately there hasn't been a new issue in awhile. Double unfortunately, this is because the author is a COVID long-hauler.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Brendan Fletcher has had a really lovely time with Covid, last I heard he was still having issues and he got it a year ago.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I picked up the first two issues of Dead Dog's Bite by Tyler Boss (4 Kids Walk Into A Bank) and I'd pretty strongly recommend it. I'm not quite sure how to describe it...quirky mystery with hints of supernatural elements maybe? Here's the blurb which does a better job:

promo posted:

Cormac Guffin has gone missing. It's been three days and no one has seen hide nor hair of her. The police have nothing, and the townsfolk are acting more like a funeral procession than a search party. If Cormac has any hope of being found, it rests on the slouching shoulders of her best friend Joe. Joe will need her wits about her though, because, like any story worth hearing, nothing is what it seems.

From award-winning cartoonist Tyler Boss (4 Kids Walk into a Bank) comes the story of a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a candy wrapper.

* From award-winning cartoonist Tyler Boss (4 Kids Walk into a Bank)

* Twin Peaks meets Lady Bird.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I picked up the first two issues of Dead Dog's Bite by Tyler Boss (4 Kids Walk Into A Bank) and I'd pretty strongly recommend it. I'm not quite sure how to describe it...quirky mystery with hints of supernatural elements maybe? Here's the blurb which does a better job:

I don't think any story where the motivation behind the plot is a person called McGuffin is worth taking the time to describe. That's next level "ha ha I am so clever" stuff.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Did anything ever happen with Calexit? I haven't heard anything about since the first issue ages ago, and their website, Amazon and the shops I've spoken to have given contradictory information on how many issues came out, if it was an ongoing or limited series or what.

I assume that since its a very different political climate to when the first issue was published, that might have an effect on a political thriller. But there was lots of hype around Calexit, then it vanished? Seems to happen a lot with indie series.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
this thread hasn't been too active lately, is there any new indie hotness that people recommend?

i just read the first issue of time before time and it was fantastic, mike mignola inspired art coupled with a lovely future setting and I'm excited to see where it goes

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They aren't new but I've been following Karmen and maniac of new york

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ed Piskor’s Red Room is coming out next Wednesday, I’m pretty hyped on that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

site posted:

They aren't new but I've been following Karmen and maniac of new york

How is Karmen. I paged through and liked the artwork, but am a bit hesitant on first time writer and figured to trade wait and see some reviews.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I finished the entire run of Giant Days and I want more from the characters :(

Especially since the last issue was pretty eh.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

GrandpaPants posted:

I finished the entire run of Giant Days and I want more from the characters :(

Especially since the last issue was pretty eh.

including As Time Goes By?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Yeah, I thought it was a nice continuation, but it just felt like another issue. I didn't really get the sense of closure that I was expecting, and the supernatural elements sorta kinda came out of nowhere. But overall, I definitely would have read much more of the slice if life adventures of that group of characters. Is there anything else comparable?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Scary Go Round has years of Esther stories pre-Giant Days, if you havent read that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Madkal posted:

How is Karmen. I paged through and liked the artwork, but am a bit hesitant on first time writer and figured to trade wait and see some reviews.

I'm liking it, yeah the art is good, but big time content warnings because lots of nudity and the story is about a woman who committed suicide. Yesterday's issue just started a little bit of worldbuilding so we'll see if that goes somewhere

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

I read Descender and it was great until they introduced magic because the artist was bored

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bro Dad posted:

I read Descender and it was great until they introduced magic because the artist was bored

I loved that so much. it was such an apocalyptic situation and as everything burns down this old dude reveals there’s magic and uses it to escape and it’s a footnote in story because of everything else going on. It was a real cool as a bit of world building flavor to still have some mystery as everything else is explained. Ascender expands on it and has been a real good book. I’m only up to volume 2 but the end of that loving owns.

I also love the art.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 13, 2021

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dustin Nguyen’s art is so drat good on that book. So glad I picked up the first issue on a whim when it first hit the stands.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I liked the first two issues of Proctor Valley Road, though I have yet to get to the third issue as it's been a busy and terrible week.

promo posted:

Perfect for fans of Paper Girls and Die, visionary writer Grant Morrison (Klaus), Alex Child (BBC’s Holby City) and Naomi Franquiz (Tales from Harrow County) present a chilling new horror series about the mysterious monsters that haunt Proctor Valley Road - and the four misfit teenagers who must stop them. August, Rylee, Cora & Jennie have organized a “Spook Tour” with their classmates on the most haunted, demon-infested stretch of road in America to fund attending the concert of their dreams. When their visit turns deadly, these four friends race to rescue the missing students...before the town tears them limb from limb. Now they must slay the evils roaming Proctor Valley Road...along with the monsters lurking in the hearts of 1970s America.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Scary Go Round has years of Esther stories pre-Giant Days, if you havent read that.

There's also Bad Machinery.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dryad's really cool from Oni Press. By the Rat Queens writer and a stellar artist.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Skwirl posted:

There's also Bad Machinery.

ronya posted:

including As Time Goes By?

I'll check both of these out! I'm bummed that Wicked Things was canceled, though.

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Remember John/Roc Upchurch? The original Rat Queens artist, disgraced after it came out that he beat his wife?

Someone at Image thought this was a good idea:
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/lucy-claire-redemption-1

Sorry to necro this up and reply to something from almost a year and a half ago, but I'm just catching up on this thread now for the first time in a couple of years.

As someone who knows Roc & his current girlfriend (yes, the one he cheated on his wife with that gets mentioned in the ex-wife's now removed blogs/articles she's responded in), there's a whole hell of a lot more to that story than made press. I have friends who were at the Halloween party the arrest happened at. It was messy. Both Roc & his ex-wife were both super drunk. They had a huge verbal argument on the back porch over him cheating on her. She shoved him first. She had a history of hitting him as well (yeah, domestic abuse goes both directions). He reacted poorly and shoved her back...and she fell down 3 steps and split her head open from the fall. They were both arrested, and she pressed charges, he didn't.

The battery charge was ultimately dropped when witnesses from the party came forward at court and said she shoved him first. In the divorce, while she got custody of the kids, she got almost none of his money from Rat Queens. Their lawyers post divorce ultimately came to a new agreement that gave further visitation rights with a redistribution of money into trust funds for the kids and she has taken her slanderous personal blog down.

Roc is a recovering alcoholic and he's an adulterer, but I've never heard or known anyone in our circle of friends who have known each other for decades who has ever seen him hit a girl beyond the reactionary shove in the arrest. He's worked hard to get his life mostly back together over the last half a decade. The ex is rightfully angry that he left her for a girl a decade younger. She's rightfully angry that things ended the way they did for them when he got famous, and that both of them had serious issues with alcohol and losing their temper. What she did though with attacking him in blogs and the media was out of bitterness over the divorce and a bad settlement.

People deserve second chances. That said, I understand not buying his books because you disagree with some of the bad moves he's made in the past. A lot of folks in the comics industry are great people that you can give your money to instead, but please at least call the guy what he was at the time: an alcoholic in a toxic relationship that made a mistake. He didn't beat his wife, though, and he has in fact faught hard to be pro-feminist in an industry where that's a rare thing. He's raised money for breast cancer, he's supported female owned comic shops and comic creators, he's created very pro feminist work both in Rat Queens and outside, he's been an outspoken supporter of minority, gay, and transgender creators & characters in comics. He's not one of the bad guys. He might not be the best person in a lot of people's eyes. But he's tried his best to reconcile with mistakes that were made.

Hobo Grandpa fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 16, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's a well known fact that most wife-beaters keep their friends informed about their wife-beating activities. That poo poo never happens behind closed doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

There's a huge loose thread there - did someone invite both of them to the same Halloween party?

Wtf at "when she hits him it's domestic abuse, when he pushes her down some steps into an injury it's a poor decision."

I agree about people deserving a second chance, I also agree it's okay to read about someone's lovely behavior and decide individually to not support their art anymore. I hope they both find something more meaningful in their lives than inflicting pain on others and themselves.