Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Watch the other lights and pedestrian signals or just, ya know, pay loving attention while you're driving.

Actually, never mind. I regret asking my dumb question. Do whatever you want with your traffic signals.

Here's some pic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Solice Kirsk posted:

If it totally eliminates someone sitting at a green light for more than two seconds while they finish a text then I'm all for it. If it doesn't 100% eliminate it then it's stupid and I hate it almost as much as calling yellow "amber." Should have stuck with the theme and made it "emerald, amber, ruby."
You know how people always safely stop on amber? I'm sure people would also safely waiti for green.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In my city some intersections give you a preview because the pedestrian signal will turn green first.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

the funny pics squad has logged on

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

The amber/yellow on go is super useful for shifting into a gear, as most cars in Europe are still manuals.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

gbut posted:

The amber/yellow on go is super useful for shifting into a gear, as most cars in Europe are still manuals.

a gear? Like you haven't decided yet if you're about to need first gear ready to go?

How long are these lights that you just sit there in neutral?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Look at me I’m a prissy English chap who needs an extra 5 seconds to shift my car into gear

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

That’s a small rear end dog

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

What pokemon is this?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Steve Irwin sucked. He was always bothering animals. Leave them alone, Mr. "Hunter"

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Wu Tan-jello?

:v: Flan, I know.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Wu-Flan Clan ain't nothin to gently caress with.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

gbut posted:

When I drove in London, everyone used the yellow light before the green as the signal to bury the gas pedal in the carpet. It was very easy to get used to.

It was very easy to which to get used.

I started doing it too. Eventually I was halfway through the intersection by the time the light turned green. IDK what this "putting into gear" nonsense is about. Yellow means go. What was weird to me was remembering to drive in the left lane on the...motorways? carriageways? whatever the expressways bc the right lane is the fast lane and people will NOT undertake you. They'll just flash lights at your bumper until you move over.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nothing is worse than someone following the speed limit on the expressway.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nothing is worse than someone following the speed limit on the expressway.

In the passing lane

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In any lane. You go 5 over. That's the rule.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

The Bloop posted:

a gear? Like you haven't decided yet if you're about to need first gear ready to go?

How long are these lights that you just sit there in neutral?

Well, I like my clutch to last a bit so yes, I do put it into neutral when I reach a complete stop at a red light.

Also, sometimes you don't need the first gear if the light is on a downhill slope.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

its all nice on rice posted:

Wu-Flan Clan ain't nothin to gently caress with.

Are you loving kidding me? Wu-tang Flan.

Some people.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Streaker to streak in no time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Michael is offended at the idea of putting gravy on pasta

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Some Italians use the word gravy to refer to a specific kind of red sauce that has been simmered for hours with like, pork and stuff in.

In my experience with my wife and her family though, they mostly only use it to tell me when I am using the wrong word and change it seemingly randomly.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Zero One posted:

Wu Tan-jello?

:v: Flan, I know.

Ol dirty Custard

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pustulio posted:

Some Italians use the word gravy to refer to a specific kind of red sauce that has been simmered for hours with like, pork and stuff in.

In my experience with my wife and her family though, they mostly only use it to tell me when I am using the wrong word and change it seemingly randomly.

They're purposefully training you wrong, as a joke.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Who What Now posted:

I don't know if this is just a Philly area thing, but at least here italians call red sauce gravy.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Scratch Monkey posted:

Steve Irwin sucked. He was always bothering animals. Leave them alone, Mr. "Hunter"

gently caress you. gently caress you. gently caress you. gently caress you. gently caress off gently caress you

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think calling it "gravy" is just a New York thing.

SpacePig posted:

I don't know if this is just a Philly area thing, but at least here italians call red sauce gravy.

Huh, guess not. I never heard it called that growing up.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Apr 14, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's an Albany expression.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Solice Kirsk posted:

Huh, guess not. I never heard it called that growing up.

I think it's really only people that are like fully matrilineal Italian, and even then I think a lot of people, especially in the suburbs and whatnot, just call it sauce to avoid the confusion.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pustulio posted:

Oh so it's like Brits and "pudding."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cocaine Bear posted:

Why would you need a warning that you're about the be able to go? Sounds dumb as hell.

So that Codsworth can alert you to secure your tea and clotted cream

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The general rule is that pudding is something you boil or bake in a container, sometimes the container is also edible.

That at least gives you the throughline between black pudding, steak and kidney pudding, christmas pudding, and pease pudding. I'm not sure exactly how you get to the modern idea of a sweet pudding being just "anything you eat for dessert"

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The general rule is that pudding is something you boil or bake in a container, sometimes the container is also edible.
Doesn't that cover 90% of all British food, but also get a variety of noted non-pudding savory pies/pastys?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SpacePig posted:

Oh, so Cindy was correct in making fun of italians then.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Pustulio posted:

There's a very interesting thing with Italian-American culture where it's largely rooted in Sicilian traditions from the late 1870s-mid 1910s, including the local dialect and slang from that time. The vast majority of Italians who emigrated to the US in that period came from southern Italy and they canonized those traditions and pronunciations here, whereas Sicily's culture blended more with other areas of Italy over the course of the 20th century.

While there are still regional dialects and patterns of speech, modern Sicilians generally pronounce Italian words more or less the same way that other Italians do (all three syllables in prosciutto or spaghetti, for example), and the Italian that American kids learn from their Nonnas is sort of a time capsule from when their family emigrated, and is seen as antiquated in modern Sicily.

This is also what happened with Quebec French, where the colonies started out using the French rural dialect (which was also the dialect the ruling class used) of the 17th century, but then after Canada was ceded to the UK in the late 1700s there wasn't much cultural interchange, so Quebec French stayed mostly the same while Parisian French became dominant in Europe in the years following the French Revolution.

Some people say that American English, particularly in the south, sounds like what the commoners spoke in England in the 18th century, but it's likely that it differs significantly due to a "standardization" of different regional English dialects as people from different areas joined each other across the Atlantic. It is true that American English's pronunciation of the r in words like "clear" was a feature of most variants of British English at the time of colonization, but fell out of common use in England over time following the American Revolution.

You find this affect in Spanish and Portuguese colonies as well. Languages are cool!

Pustulio posted:

This is 1000% true and you'll never be right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Foxfire_ posted:

Doesn't that cover 90% of all British food, but also get a variety of noted non-pudding savory pies/pastys?

Generally savoury puddings are boiled rather than baked, that being the main differentiation between a pasty and a savoury pudding.

I think all of those are normally boiled actually. I guess yorkshire puddings are more baked in a weird sense, or boiled in fat perhaps, but they are also not really contained and are part of when the use of the word pudding went off the rails a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Actually, italian americans just say "yahoo", "yipee!", "Ow-ow-ow wow-ow", and "so long gay bowser".

Any training that doesn't prepare you for that isn't very inclusive.