Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

muscles like this! posted:

It is the second Tuesday of the month so reminder that tonight is another The Mads livestream. Tickets are $10 and you get a download of the show after it ends. Just a reminder, you have to buy a ticket before the show starts (8pm EDT) as you can't buy an archived version after. This month is Night of Shorts 3.

Fwiw i just bought my ticket and it said they were on sale for 4 more hours on eventbrite so I guess you have until midnight EST if anyone needs that information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Short: This wire just came in and I thought you'd like to see it

Trace: Ooh, copper.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Holy poo poo, Sonny Bono in this weed short.

Edit: Huh, this is kind of a reasonable position for a weed short.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 14, 2021

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Holy poo poo, Sonny Bono in this weed short.

Edit: Huh, this is kind of a reasonable position for a weed short.
Goes a little far with the freakout stuff but I've seen worse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

Goes a little far with the freakout stuff but I've seen worse.

Yeah, that and comparing smoking weed in situations to tobacco was kind of stupid. But it was still more reasonable than a lot of anti-drug shorts that have been riffed in the past.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

It is the second Tuesday of the month so reminder that tonight is another The Mads livestream. Tickets are $10 and you get a download of the show after it ends. Just a reminder, you have to buy a ticket before the show starts (8pm EDT) as you can't buy an archived version after. This month is Night of Shorts 3.

maybe a silly question, but do they have better audio capture now? the first one they did sounded like it was recorded over skype, and it was distracting enough to me that i never ended up watching the entire thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably the biggest drawback their livestreams have is that they are very ramshackle. The whole thing is just a Zoom call that they stream out to Youtube with the one producer who manually has to change settings on things. So it can be very uneven.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Another Bill posted:

Fwiw i just bought my ticket and it said they were on sale for 4 more hours on eventbrite so I guess you have until midnight EST if anyone needs that information.

Thanks for mentioning this, I meant to get my ticket earlier and completely forgot but I was able to get one just now so I can at least download it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

The fact that the two groups are still good friends is such a wholesome thing to me.

It's a shame Mike has the air sickness thing preventing him from traveling much even without the plague.

His absence was really noticeable for SketchFest 2019. I love Kevin and Bill, but without all three of them the riffs just don't hit the same.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I love all the mst3k peeps past and present but rifftrax feels like it's on autopilot

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Junkie Disease posted:

I love all the mst3k peeps past and present but rifftrax feels like it's on autopilot

The fact that they hack out 10-20 minutes of every movie they do annoys the hell out me. Especially since Mike and Conor's book podcast almost unfailingly clocks in at 2+ hours an episode.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

The fact that the two groups are still good friends is such a wholesome thing to me.

It's a shame Mike has the air sickness thing preventing him from traveling much even without the plague.

If you poke you still find people who seriously desire grade A beef between Mike and Joel. Even when the stuff about Mike and Doug TenNapel dropped some months back you had people going "I KNEW Mike was always bad and never contributed anything to MST3K etc" Joel was the first one to pop up and say "No, he was the head writer and responsible for a lot."

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Mokinokaro posted:

(I don't mean to stir anything up by insulating anything with this post. It's just something I noticed last night.)

True, but Trace appears to have some strong feelings about the MST3k brand, if not a person/people. Last night's Mads stream Q&A had the inescapable "will you be involved with S13+" question. Kevin and Frank gave diplomatic, "kinda busy with other stuff but I wish it well" answers but Trace had a sneer and "not ever gonna happen" one. He sounded bitter.

Add in that the show "killed off" his character in S12 and I do have to wonder a little.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Naked Man Punch posted:

Add in that the show "killed off" his character in S12 and I do have to wonder a little.

didn't he also say something at the end about needing a gig? that gave me the impression it was more that he wanted to be involved full-time but they'd turned him down

I might be conflating answers to two different questions

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Naked Man Punch posted:

(I don't mean to stir anything up by insulating anything with this post. It's just something I noticed last night.)

True, but Trace appears to have some strong feelings about the MST3k brand, if not a person/people. Last night's Mads stream Q&A had the inescapable "will you be involved with S13+" question. Kevin and Frank gave diplomatic, "kinda busy with other stuff but I wish it well" answers but Trace had a sneer and "not ever gonna happen" one. He sounded bitter.

I vaguely remember, when the show moved from Comedy Central to The Sci-Fi Network and Trace left the show, he was asked why, and his answer was kind of weird because it basically was something like "it's a comedy show and not a science fiction show" or words to that effect. And I do recall that during the first Kickstarter to bring MST3K back, both Frank and Trace made comments/tweets that had more than a ring of bitterness to them (Frank in particular, IIRC, came across like he was really upset that they weren't asked back or that they didn't even mention anything to him about creating the character of TV's Frank's Son before it was announced). So there may be some lingering resentments between Frank/Trace and Joel, possibly over Cinematic Titanic as well as MST3K.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Naked Man Punch posted:

To be fair, they've "killed" him before. And in this kind of show, life and death can be whatever's needed for a joke. TV's Frank died a whole bunch of times and it doesn't seem to have done him any harm, even after he finally stayed dead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

To be fair, they've "killed" him before. And in this kind of show, life and death can be whatever's needed for a joke. TV's Frank died a whole bunch of times and it doesn't seem to have done him any harm, even after he finally stayed dead.

"Hey, that's my old head!"

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Life’s too short to be bitter about puppet shows.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

"Hey, that's my old head!"

"I did it! I blew up Frank's head!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I want all the goofy puppet riffing people to get along, support each other's projects, and possibly live in a big castle together, that I'm invited to visit.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bill has openly discussed that he was a little hurt that he wasn’t given the option of doing more than a guest appearance/writing spot on the revived series. But that being said, he still did the guest spot, and he said he might not have actually gotten more involved even if he was asked.

I bring this up to point out that some people act like either everyone are great friends or else they’re bitter and hate each other, whereas the truth is that these are human beings and their feelings are mostly more complicated than that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They do also make their money from doing it, so at the end of the day, there have to be some decisions just based on that. Crowdfunding also has to add complications to negotiating things like a guest spot, even amongst mostly amicable co-workers.

I'd still feel more comfortable with them all being merry roommates who are the best of friends, though, and as a guy who gave many of them a small amount of money, I demand they bend to my will!!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I think a big part of it too is that all the people behind the various movie-riffing projects being discussed have never really come across as catty, petty, or willing to publicly air out their dirty laundry in the past, so when there is some disagreement or bitterness that gets revealed, it's often kind of surprising.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The question was on a different topic, but Joel gave a quote to AV Club last week that I think puts the stuff about Trace/Frank/etc. into more context:

quote:

AVC: It’s been almost six years since the first Kickstarter launched. What would you say is is different this time?

Joel Hodgson: We know what we can do now. Before it was really unclear—what would this thing look like? What would it feel like? It seemed like the huge goal was could we land it in the world of Mystery Science Theater, and make it feel like Mystery Science Theater again. We didn’t want it to be a love letter to the past—we want to make it now, and know what we know now, not pretend it’s the ’90s.

I think the other thing that’s different is we have so much more identity now than we did back then. It was just kind of like a nostalgia thing [in 2015]. And now we kind of have these things like the live shows and and the shows on Netflix that are our new identity.

It reads to me like Joel thinks of the show as greater than the sum of its parts, and that reviving it shouldn't be the same as NBC bringing back Will & Grace where it's more of the same but everyone's 15 years older and they mention Tinder sometimes.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Right, many/most of the people jettisoned in service of the reboot spent even more time on the original series than Joel did. They're as much a part of the MST3K story as Joel is and they've been shut out of anything more than a token conversation about the series's future. You can bet a lot of them are justifiably pretty sore about it even if they don't air the dirty laundry publicly.

But that said, I think Joel was vindicated. The series is exciting and vibrant in a way it probably wouldn't be if the 60-something-year-old Sci Fi channel cast rode it out to retirement.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

fsif posted:

Right, many/most of the people jettisoned in service of the reboot spent even more time on the original series than Joel did. They're as much a part of the MST3K story as Joel is and they've been shut out of anything more than a token conversation about the series's future. You can bet a lot of them are justifiably pretty sore about it even if they don't air the dirty laundry publicly.

But that said, I think Joel was vindicated. The series is exciting and vibrant in a way it probably wouldn't be if the 60-something-year-old Sci Fi channel cast rode it out to retirement.

I kind of have the opposite opinion as the Netflix series didn't click for me at all. It honestly felt way too much like they were trying to make it hip and relevant and cool, and a lot of the charm of the "cowtown puppet show" was lost when they made it more slick and polished with celebrity guest stars and so on. I know that's actually the kind of show Joel would have liked to do back in MST3K's heyday if he had the budget, but it just didn't work for me personally.

And also, the show just isn't the same with constant references to stuff like old 70s cop shows and jokes about Aaron Spelling :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My weird little gripe with the Netflix show was the assembly line format of the riffs. Just never a chance to breath. They got better about that as it went on, though.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

My weird little gripe with the Netflix show was the assembly line format of the riffs. Just never a chance to breath. They got better about that as it went on, though.

That's part of why I'm excited to see the Netflix cast get another shot. They spoke about how over their heads they felt making Reptilicus and how they grew more comfortable and confident with the format as they spent more time with it.

Nothing they did compared to the highs of like Manos or Space Mutiny, but I think the unevenness of the original show gets kind of glossed over when people make comparisons. Most of the episodes of the first two seasons (or three if you count KTMA) can be kind of a slog to get through.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

fsif posted:

Absolutely they are, and it would be great to see them come back in the same capacity that Mary Jo/Bill/Kevin/J. Elvis did. They found a place for Weinstein even though he hadn't been involved with the show for almost 30 years, so I have to believe that Joel at least gave Trace and Frank a chance. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

And yeah, I think the shakiness of Season 11 can be chalked up to the production process being sort of re-invented on the fly. I don't think they'll ever get back to referencing Quinn Martin ever again, but the show will find a voice again. It's never going to be exactly how I remember it, but it can't be.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

fsif posted:

No matter how it happened, there's going to be complicated feelings and the room for someone to get hurt.

Joel created the show, but without Kevin or Trace or Mike or Bridget or Frank, there's no MST3K. They were a huge part of why the show was a success, and they helped make it.

But Joel got the rights and he wanted to bring the show back. And his vision all along was to make MST3K in a way that it could continue on without him. If they brought back the old cast, would it have worked as well? And not to mention that they're all doing their own things now.

But it doesn't really matter to me. Joel has done a good job acknowledging the works of others, but it's not like he left the show on the best of terms, since him and Mallon were not getting along.

I don't think there is a realistic way to do this where nobody gets hurt a little. But let's face it, at least they are all now getting paid for their old episodes, and that's something Joel saw to.

Edit: and just to add on - it's also about the new cast. Imagine having to always step aside so an older member can get a scene. If Joel wants the show to be successful, it has to be like Frasier season one - he wanted to the character to be defined by his new relationships, not by Cheers.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 14, 2021

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Splint Chesthair posted:

The question was on a different topic, but Joel gave a quote to AV Club last week that I think puts the stuff about Trace/Frank/etc. into more context:

It reads to me like Joel thinks of the show as greater than the sum of its parts, and that reviving it shouldn't be the same as NBC bringing back Will & Grace where it's more of the same but everyone's 15 years older and they mention Tinder sometimes.

Well, keep in mind too that Joel owns the concept of MST3K, so he profits personally if the brand continues with an all-new cast. None of the other original performers profit directly from that; they may now profit indirectly a little, but if I were them I would notice how liberally Joel is giving away free copies of old episodes in order to raise money to make the new ones.

My impression was that Trace and Mike didn't get along wonderfully, and after Joel's departure MST was getting reshaped along Mike and Jim Mallon lines (and nobody seems to have much liked Jim Mallon by the end of everything). Trace seems like the movie, in particular, put him off the show permanently, and he was happy to see the back of it after the cancellation.

He did return for Cinematic Titanic, but my impression is that he always got along best with Frank and that CT may have been more about working with Frank again than anyone else. Now that he and Frank are working together a fair amount, why would he want to be involved with Joel's show, especially when he probably gets paid scale to appear in one episode and Joel makes bank off of it? Just not worth the hassle.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

This is just my personal impression, but I think Trace is semi-retired off his AFV royalties and living on a working rural farm whereas Frank is (was) still a comedian in NYC working clubs.

Frank needs the money, Trace is doing it for fun or out of loyalty to Frank. That's my impression.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I read somewhere, almost certainly here, that Frank gets 5% of the MST3K royalties, but nobody else gets any (other than Joel/Mallon, then just Mallon, now whatever is going on with Joel and Shout)

no idea if it's true. regardless, apparently part of the new deal is that the Rifftrax dudes get some action whenever they sell an episode of MST3K thru Rifftrax.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

My understanding of the royalty thing was that Joel and Jim as the creators of the show were the only ones who got anything for a long time. Then once Rifftrax started selling episodes, they started giving everyone else a piece out of their cut. At some point after that, Shout supposedly worked something out to include everyone.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

My understanding of the royalty thing was that Joel and Jim as the creators of the show were the only ones who got anything for a long time. Then once Rifftrax started selling episodes, they started giving everyone else a piece out of their cut. At some point after that, Shout supposedly worked something out to include everyone.

That was my impression, which mostly came from Bill Corbett's tweets at the time the original revival was happening. I feel like if the laundry were extra dirty, Frank would have said something. He's not exactly the sort to keep quiet when he thinks an injustice is happening.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
When the first Kickstarter was going on, most of the ex-cast members were asked whether they'd be involved in the revival, and responses were generally either "I wasn't asked", or "you'll have to ask Joel".

Mike's response was a little more chilly, saying that he was only ever a "hired gun" for MST3k and that he'd rather concentrate on something he created (Rifftrax).

They've all showed up in each others' projects over the years, so I don't think there's any legit bad blood between any of them. MST3k itself, and especially the revival, seems to be a sore subject for some of them though, or at least something they'd rather just leave in their past.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Bicyclops posted:

That was my impression, which mostly came from Bill Corbett's tweets at the time the original revival was happening. I feel like if the laundry were extra dirty, Frank would have said something. He's not exactly the sort to keep quiet when he thinks an injustice is happening.

This. Hell, Frank dragged the Satellite News on Twitter once because they weren't promoting any of his gigs. If there was serious beef there, we'd know it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Speaking of Satellite News, they seem to be continuing their pattern from last time around of being nearly dead silent about the Kickstarter. They posted a link when it first launched, but that’s it. No actual details or updates. Their one post with the link was just titled, “Joel Launches a New Kickstarter.” The Kickstarter could be for something entirely unrelated for all the info they gave.

I get that there’s not a ton to say, but for a site that’s supposed to be the go-to news source on the show, they don’t seem to like talking much about the efforts to continue the show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
People wanting there to be more drama than there is really don't know how Frank works as a person. The dude does not give a poo poo, he will go off at the slightest moment and often for good reason.

I doubt there's any serious bad blood between any of them, as mentioned. As a reminder, Joel and Trace worked together on that one yahoo sci-fi series for the five minutes it was around, and that was even after CT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Bill and trace both do voices on Tigtone