Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Not sure how you’d even be a hero with a poison gas quirk. Maybe he could use it to power some hydraulic gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
He'd make a killing as a fumigator. Assuming he found a job that let him use his Quirk.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I thought his quirk gas wasn't lethal? There's a few students who get knocked out by it and don't die.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

A hero that emits non lethal knock out gas with no lasting side effects would be immensely useful. He'd be more or less the male version of Miss Midnight but with the added bonus of sight disruption.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

It seemed like a knockout gas, although there's no information about what long term exposure would do to someone. I assume it's bad since Jirou and Hagakure were unconscious in the hospital for even longer than it took for Deku to be patched up and relatively alright after annihilating his arms again.

If it's fully nonlethal, then Mustard just has another version of Midnight's quirk, with the downside that he's not immune to it but the upside that it doesn't require skin exposure to work and he can definitely pump out more of it than she seemed to be able to. In that case, there's no reason Mustard couldn't have gotten into a hero school (although probably not UA since the entrance exam involves robots - he'd be just as badly off as Shinsou was).

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 13, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They were in the hospital for a while, but given that Mustard was also totally fine with murdering people, it could just be that they got an overdose since he didn't stop pumping gas out until he got bludgeoned unconscious. Even the most benign anesthetic will gently caress you up horribly if you get too much of it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Oh yeah, I'm sure the main threat from Mustard's gas in that situation was the fact that anybody knocked out by it would be left helpless, so they could be killed by the forest fire, another villain, or Mustard just straight up shooting them. Mustard could be a great hero if he wasn't a little shithead.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It’s also a quirk that straight up would not work on robots, like Shinso’s mind control, so Mustard absolutely fails the UA hero entrance exam.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
His gas is stated as being lethal with too much exposure, and to require hospitalization to treat.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MonsterEnvy posted:

lethal with too much exposure, and to require hospitalization to treat.
This is also true of super strength.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PMush Perfect posted:

This is also true of super strength.

Unlike Super Strength utterly indiscriminate. He can blast a massive area, or no area, no in between. If he took the UA Hero exam he would have knocked out all other participants, who would have needed hospitalization.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 13, 2021

Prowler
May 24, 2004

If there's a hero that can knock people out/kill them with lethal gas, and a hero who can create fungus seemingly anywhere spores can go, then it follows that there are heroes out there that are basically walking plumes of dust like Pig Pen except THC.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Unlike Super Strength utterly indiscriminate. He can blast a massive area, or no area, no in between. If he took the UA Hero exam he would have knocked out all other participants, who would have needed hospitalization.
Not necessarily. Midnight has a similar quirk, and she uses it just fine.

Why are people bending over backwards to make a pitiable, relatable character out of the gas mask-wearing chuuni who named himself after mustard gas and tried to kill kids with an actual gun? Normally when a character gets people stretching this far to come up with excuses for them, it’s because he’s a hot villain guy with a popular slash fic.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PMush Perfect posted:

Not necessarily. Midnight has a similar quirk, and she uses it just fine.

Why are people bending over backwards to make a pitiable, relatable character out of the gas mask-wearing chuuni who named himself after mustard gas and tried to kill kids with an actual gun? Normally when a character gets people stretching this far to come up with excuses for them, it’s because he’s a hot villain guy with a popular slash fic.

Midnight does not target a whole city block with her quirk, and her quirk has no toxic properties. She seems to be able to fine tune and aim it to a degree.

Also I don't think Mustard is a relatable character. I just think he was rejected from a hero course, for not being fit for being a hero. A relatable character would not have become basically the equivalent of a spree shooter over it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

His gas is stated as being lethal with too much exposure, and to require hospitalization to treat.

This is also true of any anesthetic powerful enough to knock you unconscious, though.

PMush Perfect posted:

Nobody was really doing this, as far as I can see. Someone idly wondered how a kid ended up joining up with a pack of insane serial killers, then the conversation mentioned him being a student and not liking hero school students, then his quirk came up and people began idly speculating on whether or not his quirk could be used for things besides mass murder.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

This is also true of any anesthetic powerful enough to knock you unconscious, though.

True. Though are anesthetics considered to be toxic?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Normally when a character gets people stretching this far to come up with excuses for them, it’s because he’s a hot villain guy with a popular slash fic.

But enough about Endeavor :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

True. Though are anesthetics considered to be toxic?

Absolutely, yes!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

What if Mustard was lying about his quirk and brought some gas canisters. Turns out he's actually Snipe's son and inherited his GUN quirk. He wanted to make it a big reveal, but doesn't have the spirit to do it anymore since Dabi got in there first.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

TheKingofSprings posted:

Absolutely, yes!

I'm just an interested layman, but my impression is that quite a lot of modern medicine boils down to "Now we,re going to poison you just enough that it will solve this particular problem".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Dosis sola facit venenum and all that

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Anshu posted:

I'm just an interested layman, but my impression is that quite a lot of modern medicine boils down to "Now we,re going to poison you just enough that it will solve this particular problem".

This is also the rationale behind alcohol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Your body really does not like being unconscious, and is very good at regaining it. If you get knocked out by anything and you're down for more than 3-5 minutes there's a good chance you either have brain damage, or are dying.

That's why knocking people out with blows to the neck/head is always kinda funny to me as a "Ah, I have solved this with no violence" thing. Like, you gave them a concussion- that's literally brain damage.

Medically- the #1 person most likely to kill you on the table is the anesthesiologist, because the lines between you waking up during surgery, staying safely unconscious/sedated, and your heart/lungs stopping are incredibly thin. It's also why they make the most money of anyone in the operating room.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Mustard's quirk could be insanely useful against robots if he used it to create grenades of compressed mustard gas; with significant compression and impact force he could probably take them out pretty quick.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cloks posted:

Mustard's quirk could be insanely useful against robots if he used it to create grenades of compressed mustard gas; with significant compression and impact force he could probably take them out pretty quick.

Even if he could use his quirk to disable the robots, say that way. He would have also attacked all other examinees at the same time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It will always be funny how completely dumb the "let a disorganized mass of superpowered children who have never really been allowed full free reign with their superpowers before(and also have no real combat training) loose against an army of combat robots and determine who's worthy to enter our hero school by finding out who proves to be the best at punching robots. oh i guess we'll also give some points if they happen to help each other in the process at some point?" concept is on numerous levels.

Like even in-universe there's multiple examples of characters with incredibly powerful and useful quirks for hero stuff, even direct combat hero stuff, who are completely and totally frozen out by that model.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kanos posted:

It will always be funny how completely dumb the "let a disorganized mass of superpowered children who have never really been allowed full free reign with their superpowers before(and also have no real combat training) loose against an army of combat robots and determine who's worthy to enter our hero school by finding out who proves to be the best at punching robots. oh i guess we'll also give some points if they happen to help each other in the process at some point?" concept is on numerous levels.

Like even in-universe there's multiple examples of characters with incredibly powerful and useful quirks for hero stuff, even direct combat hero stuff, who are completely and totally frozen out by that model.
This kinda gets lampshaded a bit because Aizawa complains about exactly that fact more than once, and some of the people in the audience for the sports festival point it out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

This kinda gets lampshaded a bit because Aizawa complains about exactly that fact more than once, and some of the people in the audience for the sports festival point it out.

Yeah, at least the series calls it out, but I'm really curious how something so obviously flawed and dumb(and not to mention probably REALLY EXPENSIVE, to boot, based on the talk about the robots during the AFO prison break sequence) became the entry test for the most prestigious and important hero school in the country.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kanos posted:

Yeah, at least the series calls it out, but I'm really curious how something so obviously flawed and dumb(and not to mention probably REALLY EXPENSIVE, to boot, based on the talk about the robots during the AFO prison break sequence) became the entry test for the most prestigious and important hero school in the country.

I assume the robot expense is covered by one of the quirks of the staff, just like how cementos is the only reason they can destroy fake city blocks for free day in and day out.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I still have no idea how Hagakure passed the robot exam. I don't think she was able to do her light refraction laser stuff back then.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
The robots are all actually amalgamations of rejected tech from the entire student body for the tech department.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kanos posted:

I assume it's something Nezu came up with.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kanos posted:

I'd say it was an indirect criticism of UA for favoring highly combat-capable quirks, but a lot of people with quirks that're sorta mediocre for fighting robots made it in. Or at least, mediocre for the level of school UA is. Like, in a superpowered population you'd think there'd be a lot of absolute ringers with really destructive quirks going for UA- like more Bakugous/Todorokis/Kaminaris/etc and maybe less Minetas/Hagekures/Ojiros. The latter can definitely take out robots but the test should select for people with crazy AOE attacks.

Like what happens if someone's quirk is "I can instantly destroy/deactivate robots and absolutely nothing else" specifically?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

CuwiKhons posted:

I still have no idea how Hagakure passed the robot exam. I don't think she was able to do her light refraction laser stuff back then.

The robots have off-switches, Hagakure and Mineta pressed them to defeat them (Hagakure snuck up on them, Mineta stuck them in place and climbed up to press).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kanos posted:

Wouldn't Midnight be completely ineffective during that test?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is it the same test every year?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Maybe it's something that was less of an issue back then but gradually became one as the test became more standardized.

No Quirk Left Behind

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

They can't prove she didn't destroy all those robots!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
ahahah this owns

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1382366115284750342?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There's also the rescue portion of the test where I assume people with non-combat quirks could score points, or at least where you could show grit even if your quirk doesn't affect robots or help you fish people out. I would also not be shocked if they gave you some kind of comp points if you had an obviously-peacekeeping-compatible quirk like Midnight's, although they should have absolutely given those points to Shinsou as well.