Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Doctor Nutt posted:

Friend I bought Blue Dragon a couple weeks ago, it was even on sale.

:neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Xbox 360 had some very interesting JRPG exclusives. I still haven't finished Lost Odyssey, and I feel really bad about it, but I got stuck on that worm boss that is a few hours in. Is Infinite Undiscovery backwards compatible with Xbox One?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Zurtilik posted:

I have a Series S on the way from Wal-Mart. I basically haven't played a new game since The Witcher 3 that wasn't a Switch exclusive.

What should I play?

I got the Yakuza series lined up. But what else?

Control is great and included on Game Pass. One of the best singleplayer games in recent years.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

The Xbox 360 had some very interesting JRPG exclusives. I still haven't finished Lost Odyssey, and I feel really bad about it, but I got stuck on that worm boss that is a few hours in. Is Infinite Undiscovery backwards compatible with Xbox One?

It is!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zat posted:

Control is great and included on Game Pass. One of the best singleplayer games in recent years.

If you have a series x/s though the next gen version is not on game pass (boo hiss)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Doctor Nutt posted:

If you have a series x/s though the next gen version is not on game pass (boo hiss)

Oh snap, I forgot about that. Well, still a great game but perhaps consider buying the Ultimate Edition if you want the best experience.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Ultimate edition on PS4 has been going on sale a good bit so don't buy it full price if you want to wait

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

I said come in! posted:

I tried to play Lost Odyssey twice. The first time was on a tiny like a 24" tube TV and the text was almost too blurry to read. The second time I kept getting slapped down by the first boss.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Other than the ending making me say "Wait, what?", Control was one of the best games I've played in the past five years. Just a great story, great environment, nifty super powers...there's so much to like about it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Other than the ending making me say "Wait, what?", Control was one of the best games I've played in the past five years. Just a great story, great environment, nifty super powers...there's so much to like about it.

I never got the DLC but anyone I know who played it said it made the ending way better. I was also fairly meh on the original ending, it felt mega rushed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

I tried to play Lost Odyssey twice. The first time was on a tiny like a 24" tube TV and the text was almost too blurry to read. The second time I kept getting slapped down by the first boss.

Apparently if you can just make it pass the first few bosses, the game is smooth sailing and a lot of fun, but a lot of people get brickwalled by those bosses and dont continue.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zurtilik posted:

FWIW I recommend just looking up a guide whenever you butt up against a particularly nasty boss. From what I remember a lot of the tough bosses are super easy if you follow one very specific strategy, so if you want to save a lot of trial and error I recommend just googling "what's the weakness for boss x in lost odyssey." It's a sound strategy for a lot of the bosses in FF13 also, which follow a similar theme of "do the thing we want you to do or it's gonna suck."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I never got the DLC but anyone I know who played it said it made the ending way better. I was also fairly meh on the original ending, it felt mega rushed.

I did not enjoy the foundation dlc and felt like it was kind of a waste tbh, but I did enjoy the Alan Wake stuff in the 2nd DLC. Easily a top ten creepy video game boss for me.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

I said come in! posted:

Apparently if you can just make it pass the first few bosses, the game is smooth sailing and a lot of fun, but a lot of people get brickwalled by those bosses and dont continue.

Yeah, I called it quits shortly after the first boss. Figured the rest of the game was going to be just as difficult, but knowing that the worst is early on in the game is good to know. Might get back to it someday.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Personally I think Lost Odyssey is worth giving another look, it came from a really interesting and charming time for JRPGs on the xbox 360, even if they weren't all as good as Lost Odyssey.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Personally I think Lost Odyssey is worth giving another look, it came from a really interesting and charming time for JRPGs on the xbox 360, even if they weren't all as good as Lost Odyssey.

The question is, is it worth $25 today? That's the price on the xbox store, seems kinda high for a 360 game. But I consistently hear good things about it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Lost Odyssey was on PC. Other than the voice acting, and those bosses, I really like the game. I could just cheat for the bosses I am too stupid to defeat.

I bought Infinite Undiscovery, and then realized its a tri-ace game, so I may not even like it lol.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

The question is, is it worth $25 today? That's the price on the xbox store, seems kinda high for a 360 game. But I consistently hear good things about it.

Yeah that's a big "depends" unfortunately. I like it enough to give that a tentative yes, but generally speaking I don't really hesitate to drop 25 bucks on a game I'm curious about because we're a DINK household, so YMMV. If nothing else, wishlist it because if it's not on sale now it'll probably be sooner than later, and it will be just as worth checking out then.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Yeah that's a big "depends" unfortunately. I like it enough to give that a tentative yes, but generally speaking I don't really hesitate to drop 25 bucks on a game I'm curious about because we're a DINK household, so YMMV. If nothing else, wishlist it because if it's not on sale now it'll probably be sooner than later, and it will be just as worth checking out then.

good advice, thanks. Yeah $25 is a bit steep.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I skipped the 360, so when I got the One I was all about playing what I had missed out on. Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, and Blue Dragon were on the top of my list. I own all 3, but have yet to even start Infinite or Blue Dragon.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

For backwards compatible JRPGs, there's also From Software's Enchanted Arms. It's a... thing

e: I truly hope there are Dark Souls fans who have bought it expecting something similar

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Back when I played it on the 360, I got to the part just before the final boss where you are sailing around in a lake or ocean, I forget.

I just took a peek at the achievements I got and noticed they're all in Japanese. wtf

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Veib posted:

For backwards compatible JRPGs, there's also From Software's Enchanted Arms. It's a... thing

e: I truly hope there are Dark Souls fans who have bought it expecting something similar

I played this when it first came out. It probably takes the award for campest character in a video game ever.

I did like the battle system though. Now that you've told me it's backwards compatible, I may give it another run through.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

For some reason Halo Reach isn’t launching on MCC at all, any ideas why? I’m on an Xbox One S.
It worked last week no problems.
If I press resume, it just boots me back to the main menu.

E: none of the games are launching

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Weird my kid was just complaining nothing was launching. Reboot fixed it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Can someone recommend a good YouTube tutorial for setting up Retroarch on the Series X? I also heard that you can even get it to run in retail mode, is that true?

If you don't wanna deal with waiting for a whitelist or getting your app nuked, I followed this youtube to set it up in Dev.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj9MPuywjmo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

For some reason Halo Reach isn’t launching on MCC at all, any ideas why? I’m on an Xbox One S.

Reboot the console

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Biodome posted:

If you don't wanna deal with waiting for a whitelist or getting your app nuked, I followed this youtube to set it up in Dev.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj9MPuywjmo

Thanks I appreciate it. I was wondering what do you mean by getting your app nuked? I don’t want to risk my account getting locked or banned.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Did they fix the audio glitch where all the guns in Reach sounded like they were under water?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Reboot the console

Didn’t work, I had to start a new Reach save but luckily you can just start from any level.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Thanks I appreciate it. I was wondering what do you mean by getting your app nuked? I don’t want to risk my account getting locked or banned.

Someone more informed can probably answer this for certain, but my understanding is sometimes what happens with whitelisted folks using RetroArch is they'll turn on the console one day to find that the app and everything contained within its folders has been completely wiped from the system. Nobody gets banned or anything like that, it's just ... suddenly your emulation poo poo's gone.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Toaster Beef posted:

Someone more informed can probably answer this for certain, but my understanding is sometimes what happens with whitelisted folks using RetroArch is they'll turn on the console one day to find that the app and everything contained within its folders has been completely wiped from the system. Nobody gets banned or anything like that, it's just ... suddenly your emulation poo poo's gone.

Like he said, MS will sometimes nuke the developer account of whoever is hosting the Retroarch retail app on their store. It just deletes your Retroarch app from your Xbox, you don't get banned or anything negative. It's just annoying.

Dev mode is better cause you can increase the storage size of the partition anyway.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

MazelTovCocktail posted:

The guy that's whitelisting people to use the "retail version" of Retroarch is doing so illegally and can at any moment get shut down by Microsoft if they cared, completely revoking your access to the app and any emulators/roms within.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the real pro thing to do is make your own dev account and add retroarch to retail yourself so only you can use it

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh cool that’s good to know the worst that could happen is stuff gets deleted, but yeah it makes more sense to do the dev mode stuff and I’ll go that route.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zurtilik posted:

I have a Series S on the way from Wal-Mart. I basically haven't played a new game since The Witcher 3 that wasn't a Switch exclusive.

What should I play?

I got the Yakuza series lined up. But what else?

I got a Series S and it was the first time with an xbox and honestly - just get gamepass. I've played a bunch of it in about 6 months and the only game I bought was Yakuza 7 (But every other Yakuza game is on gamepass if you want to play those)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

'Rain on your parade' is now out on game pass. It's ok for when you're waiting on your microwave dinner. It reminds me a lot of Donut County, same style and same type of indie dialog.

It gives you an achievement just for starting it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Barudak posted:

The Division is a looter shooter so if you like them you'll probably enjoy it. I got bored before the level cap which is "where the real game starts" but like you couldn't pay me to care.

Watch_Dogs is a game about hacking where 90%+ of your problems are solved by hacking people's faces with bullets but for whatever reason (I think its the extremely low ttk on enemies) blowing them away is surprisingly satisfying. The best part of the game though is how extremely ludicrously obvious the story re-write was and it sucks because playing as a rage-addled dead-beat dad would have been way more intriguing than the weirdest non-pervy uncle in gaming. I did finish this one.

What was the rewrite?

I've played a good few hours of The Division and enjoying it. I'm not really a fan of having to level up everything but it's not as bad as some of the free to play games.

The Division 2 is free for 8 hours of gameplay starting from 21st April so I'll give that a whirl. 30FPS feels like cutting my eyes though, compared with the last generation games that either have been patched or can otherwise run at 60FPS on the Series X.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The took a character who very, very obviously was originally a dead-beat dad who isn't part of his kids life into the kids uncle who is just way too loving involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

The took a character who very, very obviously was originally a dead-beat dad who isn't part of his kids life into the kids uncle who is just way too loving involved.

Yeah its wacky