Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

One of my neighbors when I lived in NY had a vintage Camaro and Chevelle, which were cool, and he liked to sit in his driveway and rev them from like 8am-9am to "warm them up" or something, which was not cool.

Especially since I was just coming off the night shift half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have a forged bottom end so I have to wait the full warm up cycle (5 minutes) if it's below 50°F before I can drive it. Another reason I bought a reverse flow muffler with a cutout. Because it has a turbo and cat, it's not all that obnoxious.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Frank Dillinger posted:

Loud cars are stupid. I guess I’m old now.

I may be old with a baby now but I never thought loud cars are cool. Fast cars are cool. If your car has to be loud to be fast then I guess that's okay, but all the assholes driving by my baby's window at 25mph don't need to be half as loud as they are. They just want loud exhausts because they think it's cool for whatever reason, and pair it with flooring the gas after the nearby speedbump or stop sign because they're assholes. I don't even think there's a correlation between people who want loud exhausts and being an rear end in a top hat, because plenty of people in stock Corolla's will goose it after the speed bump too, you just don't notice it.

The guy in the neighborhood my age with a stock Z06 can go faster than literally any other car I've seen drive by this house, but somehow he doesn't need to rev it to 5k after turning at the stop sign to go wait at the red light up the street.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Loud exhausts are annoying no matter where you are, no one wants to be woken up early when you warm up your FB RX7 at 5am or have to stop talking every time you come around the track at sub-spec miata pace in your c7 zo6 with open headers. That kind of poo poo is how we lose tracks and attract attention from the wrong interest groups.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

All I'm reading here is that babies are rubbish...

I kid, loud things suck. I used to be woken every day for several months by a quad riding down a street about 500ft away at 6.45am. At a certain point I was very much thinking about garroting the fucker.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's completely possible to make an exhaust system that sounds great without being obnoxiously loud, too. Harley-Davidson puts a ton of research and design effort into giving their stock exhausts a nice meaty rumble that still meets all the noise limits. But you've probably never heard one in real life because everybody Knows that the stock exhaust SUCKS and the first thing you do when you buy a new Harley is strip that poo poo off and put on a SCREAMIN' EAGLE straight pipe.

Loud pipes are for assholes

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Induction noises >>> exhaust noises imo, let's go ITBs.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Oh hey, exhaust chat. Time for my favorite YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWTARjxiqlo
In summary, get the physically largest muffler you can fit (that is a flow through design).

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Chrysler was even able to make a reasonably quiet turbine powered car, there's no reason street cars need loud exhausts other than to attract attention

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I put an aftermarket exhaust on my kid's 140cc dirtbike and now it's so loud I'm embarrassed every time we are out riding. That's my story, thanks for listening.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sagebrush posted:

It's completely possible to make an exhaust system that sounds great without being obnoxiously loud, too. Harley-Davidson puts a ton of research and design effort into giving their stock exhausts a nice meaty rumble that still meets all the noise limits. But you've probably never heard one in real life because everybody Knows that the stock exhaust SUCKS and the first thing you do when you buy a new Harley is strip that poo poo off and put on a SCREAMIN' EAGLE straight pipe.

Loud pipes are for assholes

Really nice stock exhausts, like the ones on Ferraris and Porsches, make pleasing noises at reasonable levels at low revs, and then get all loud and nasty and snarly sounding in an awesome way when you really step on it (hopefully away from residential streets).

Which is much better than putting glasspacks on your 160hp 350, or straight pipes on your syck hawg.

E: I've long been tempted to put an aftermarket exhaust on my FZ, but being able to quietly burble through the campground at Big Sur at 6am forever put me off that idea.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My Honcho is quieter than anything else I own because I put the suitcase sized muffler (and tailpipe) from a 2010 Savana 3500 on it for like, 21 dollars at PicknPull.

Best decision ever. I can idle that fucker to run the heat and charge the battery while I work on the dash and wiring at 1am 50ft from the house and my wife doesn't even hear it, which is good because she is light-activated and I am dark-activated, so it's very nice that I don't have to worry about waking her up with it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Loud cars are annoying because the owner is just childishly screaming, "Hey! Look at me! Aren't I cool!"

It's particularly annoying because everyone should be paying attention to me.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

I put an aftermarket exhaust on my kid's 140cc dirtbike and now it's so loud I'm embarrassed every time we are out riding. That's my story, thanks for listening.

how does your kid feel about this, though?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

stone soup posted:

how does your kid feel about this, though?

Likes the added power just fine. It's not loud if you're on it actually riding it.
It's not so loud as to be illegal in the OHV/ORV places we ride. Just way louder than it should be imo

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The KTM electric dirtbike looks loving rad, I can't wait for battery tech to advance enough for these things to get a couple of hours on a charge. Might be kinda cool with the F150 that has the electric generator thingy in the bed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm probably gonna sell my electric skateboard (30mph top speed) because I'm pretty sure I will eventually eat poo poo on it, came close a few times already with the rear wheels wanting to jump out on me like snap oversteer in an S2000.

Electric bike would be nice tho.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
S2000 snap oversteer is just people not acquainted with driving a more sharp RWD car lifting when the back starts to slide a bit rather than just staying in it :v: Very similar to a motorcycle

Never lift

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I didn't lift and that's what saved me I think, but unfortunately it doesn't have a steering wheel and trying to lean into oversteer on a skateboard isn't fun or easy :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

In summary, get the physically largest muffler you can fit (that is a flow through design).

Holy crap that's a great video and this guy rules.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I'm probably gonna sell my electric skateboard (30mph top speed) because I'm pretty sure I will eventually eat poo poo on it, came close a few times already with the rear wheels wanting to jump out on me like snap oversteer in an S2000.

I realize now you mean motorcycle but...
My 55 year old neighbor said the electric mountain bike was like taking 25 years off his body. Was able to ride all day again and have fun instead of getting fatigued.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

What skateboard you got??

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

StormDrain posted:

My 55 year old neighbor said the electric mountain bike was like taking 25 years off his body. Was able to ride all day again and have fun instead of getting fatigued.

No I mean bicycle, this one specifically is the one I want:

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/electric-bikes/products/radrunner-electric-utility-bike

Basically so I can ride up and down the beach during the summer without being a sweaty mess and getting heatstroke :v:

thealphabetsez posted:

What skateboard you got??

https://bustinboards.com/products/sportster-hybrid-v3

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

No I mean bicycle, this one specifically is the one I want:

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/collections/electric-bikes/products/radrunner-electric-utility-bike

Basically so I can ride up and down the beach during the summer without being a sweaty mess and getting heatstroke :v:

https://bustinboards.com/products/sportster-hybrid-v3

Oh hell yeah man do it up. The sooner you get it the sooner you can ride.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

StormDrain posted:

I was looking at the Specialized ones the other day, expensive as poo poo but goddamn does that look fun.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Oh hell yeah man do it up. The sooner you get it the sooner you can ride.

I have two pedal bikes now, I just don't have the stamina like I used to to ride around all day. The beach is about a 15 minute ride away, then if the sand is packed good near the water (it will get like pavement at times) I can ride up or down the beach until I get tired (with saving some energy to get home) on my Surly, but with that electric bike it doesn't matter how packed the sand is it will go forever on any kind of sand with the fat tires and all that torque from the electric motor, and I'm only limited to the range then at that point.

I'm in Florida so that scenario on a pedal bike isn't going to happen much in the summer either, it's just too hot, but on an E bike I can just cruise in the breeze all day long and not have to chug a gallon of water to keep from passing out :v:

BlackMK4 posted:

I was looking at the Specialized ones the other day, expensive as poo poo but goddamn does that look fun.

Yeah they are really nice but super expensive. The Rad Bikes are the way to go, not too expensive and parts are plentiful unlike some other E bikes

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 14, 2021

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Not electric, but I'm lusting after the new Honda Trail to run around town and take on camping trips:

I'll have to wait until next year though because COVID has completely hosed the supply chain and these are impossible to get.

*It's the same engine & transmission as the Grom.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

One of the cars he has is a '69 Mustang with a built 351 which is really cool (I took a ride in it and thought i was gonna die) but it's ungodly loud.

Then he has a lowered Silverado step side pickup with a built LS and over 800hp

Then a brand new lifted 4x4 Bro Truck Edition Silverado that he takes around the corner to Publix once in awhile

Then his work truck Silverado (he does lawn service) that pulls his trailer, why this one has a loud exhaust I have no idea

Then his GF's brand new convertible Camaro which sounds like it should be at the drag strip

Dude is gonna lose his hearing before he turns 50

If he’s ‘compensating’ he must have a really tiny thing.

My ex managed a Starbucks on the coast highway in Encinitas CA. Got so tired of un-muffled Harleys that she had shirts made that read:

The LOUDER the Hog.,

The SMALLER the Log.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Not electric, but I'm lusting after the new Honda Trail to run around town and take on camping trips:

I'll have to wait until next year though because COVID has completely hosed the supply chain and these are impossible to get.

I really want to get a CT90 on which to fart around the city but (1) I barely have the space for two bikes, let alone three, and (2) everyone within 500 miles of San Francisco wants fuckin 3 grand + for theirs.

I'd probably pay like 1500 for one in good shape but lol @ spending more on a 90cc trail bike than I did on my Hawk

e: oh and a bunch of the cheap ones in California are frozen in the terrible DMV back-fees hellhole. The CA DMV requires you to put vehicles on $15 "planned non-operating" status if you want to take them off the road for a while, because otherwise they assume you were still riding them on the road illegally (probably a good guess) and therefore you still owe the normal amount. So a ton of barn finds in this state are these white elephants where the PO left it in the barn for ten years and forgot to put it on PNO, now it's racked up ten years of registration fees and penalties, and whoever wants to register it next is on the hook :ca:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 14, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

StormDrain posted:

I’m still cycling almost every day, including climbs, and I’m older ... I’m just stubborn.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

That thing is awesome and way better than a Grom imo

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Yeah they are really nice but super expensive. The Rad Bikes are the way to go, not too expensive and parts are plentiful unlike some other E bikes

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll take a look at them :)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

TotalLossBrain posted:

This seems like exactly the sort of thing that should be electric, though. Sits on the charger in the barn until you need to run out to the pasture or whatever, strap a salt lick onto the back rack and head out there without bothering the livestock.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Pham Nuwen posted:

This seems like exactly the sort of thing that should be electric, though. Sits on the charger in the barn until you need to run out to the pasture or whatever, strap a salt lick onto the back rack and head out there without bothering the livestock.

For sure, if it were available that way with comparable reliability, weight, and not too crazy price I'd buy it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

For sure, if it were available that way with comparable reliability, weight, and not too crazy price I'd buy it.

That bike I linked is pretty drat similar and a third of the cost....Probably about the same size too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That bike I linked is pretty drat similar and a third of the cost....Probably about the same size too.

Not...really. The most notable difference is that the e-bike is a bicycle frame while the Honda has actual suspension, which you kinda need if you're going off-road. The motorcycle also has something like 8 times the power.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I'd feel more comfortable playing in traffic on the CT125 than the Rad. (Though I totally want both.) Terrible car stuff is there's not much in-between Zeros at $10k and cheap generic Chinese bikes that maybe do 35 for a week before falling apart.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh yeah forgot about the suspension part :v:

They actually offer one with front suspension, it's still a hardtail tho

I was also just thinking in terms of costs as well, the bike is way cheaper where as an electric version of that Honda would probably be ridiculous because Honda.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

This video is great and going in my list next to that old school diff video for explaining car stuff to the less car literate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TotalLossBrain posted:

wow, they made a new Postie bike.

Also that Radbike someone posted upthread has just gone to number one on my wishlist.