Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nemesis_hub posted:

Man, GOTG is really fun this week. How the heck is Ewing writing (at least?) two monthly titles of this quality??

If you are good at it writing comics is way the gently caress easier than drawing them.

There's a lot of bad Bendis comics but I think his Marvel batting average is at least over .500 and the majority of that time there were at least 2 comics coming out a month with his name on it, often more. Claremont was writing 18 issues of X-Men and 12 issues New Mutants a year when those comics were both at their peaks.

Stan Lee wrote literally every Marvel comic for almost a decade, and again there are stinkers in there but enough classics that we still read Marvel comics (he got a lot of help from the artists it should be said, but the words on the page are what he wrote).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

When Charles Soule started getting big he was doing eight books a month, and six of them were good!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Chip had four come out this week.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What's the deal with this Donald Blake thing? Last time I checked, he was the human identity created for Thor when he was exiled, yes, but he was also actually a pretty important part of Thor...kinda sort of maybe the good, humble, human part that he shouldn't do without. Now he's some kinda psycho and creating him was a mistake? Or something? What did I miss?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BrianWilly posted:

What's the deal with this Donald Blake thing? Last time I checked, he was the human identity created for Thor when he was exiled, yes, but he was also actually a pretty important part of Thor...kinda sort of maybe the good, humble, human part that he shouldn't do without. Now he's some kinda psycho and creating him was a mistake? Or something? What did I miss?

Donald Blake's been the subject of a lot of retcons and assorted takesies-backsies over the years on if he's real or a suppressed part of Thor or just Thor acting or what - the latest version courtesy of Matt Fraction's Thor run in 2012 is that he wasn't ever a real person just a construct made by Odin for when he needed to punish Thor and has been spending his time in a dream world where he's blissfully unaware of this while Thor is running around not having a secret identity.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hm. Seems like the same ol' "You thought this thing wasn't edgy, but boy were you a big idiot, because this thing is actually edgy! What a swerve!" tactic that always gets pulled with everything. So all those years that Thor spent as a human being -- getting together with Jane, being a doctor -- was actually just a mistake?

Between this and the dumb Phoenix mother retcon, they sure are playing real fast and loose with wacky ways to make Thor more of a clusterfuck.

(Not quite as dramatic as making Venom the god of light, mind you, but still)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BrianWilly posted:

Hm. Seems like the same ol' "You thought this thing wasn't edgy, but boy were you a big idiot, because this thing is actually edgy! What a swerve!" tactic that always gets pulled with everything. So all those years that Thor spent as a human being -- getting together with Jane, being a doctor -- was actually just a mistake?

Between this and the dumb Phoenix mother retcon, they sure are playing real fast and loose with wacky ways to make Thor more of a clusterfuck.

(Not quite as dramatic as making Venom the god of light, mind you, but still)

They made the Enigma Force the God of Light not Venom :science:

Anyway the thing is...Donald Blake kind of never was that big of a part of Thor. Sure, back in the Lee and Kirby days he was but as soon as Gerry Conway took over he started phasing the character out entirely and since then he's really only ever brought back to reference those old stories.

There's been infinitely more Thor and Jane romance than there ever was Blake and Jane after the 60's. I don't think reusing the idea and doing something with it, even making him a villain, is a big deal.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I just think there's a thematic clarity to The Thor Story -- the Sthory, if you will -- where he was a jerk of a god, but got turned into a normal human to learn to be less of a jerk, and then becomes less of a jerk. Bonus points for the lesson working too well and now he's a better god than every other god because of the many years he spent as a mortal. It's coherent. It's engaging. It has a good arc to it. Say what you will about these funky old comics and their funky old writers, but they knew what they were doing with the hero's journey.

Futzing with that, setting it so that the original catalyst for Thor basically growing up, moving out of his dad's house, and getting a job as some grimdark mistake that fucks everyone over...it just feels like messing with a good thing for the sake of some edgy swerve. So, what, Thor should have never been human in the first place? Is that the takeaway here? Really though?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Black Cat continues to be wildly awesome.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Roy Thomas brought Don Blake back in like 1994 but Thor was hanging around with the Godpack at that point and wearing a truly heinous costume so it's very okay that everyone chooses to forget about it

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Thor is just a low rent Superman for the Avengers, and he just chucked the Clark Kent part in the trash almost immediately. I have liked the current story more than I expected, I thought Cates just doing bigger Galactus wasn't exciting at all but the Iron Man filler arc was fun enough I kept going. The King in Black stuff might be dumb as hell but you can tell Cates thinks so too. It is over the top and silly in a very particular way so it comes off more as fun than trying too hard.

Name one story with Donald Blake. It is nearly impossible unless it is three or four decades old.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Thor is just a low rent Superman for the Avengers, and he just chucked the Clark Kent part in the trash almost immediately. I have liked the current story more than I expected, I thought Cates just doing bigger Galactus wasn't exciting at all but the Iron Man filler arc was fun enough I kept going. The King in Black stuff might be dumb as hell but you can tell Cates thinks so too. It is over the top and silly in a very particular way so it comes off more as fun than trying too hard.

Name one story with Donald Blake. It is nearly impossible unless it is three or four decades old.

1602, where Donald Blake is a devout Christian cleric who's having a really serious crisis of faith about the apparent existence of a pagan god in his brain.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

"Oh you're a Donald Blake fan? Name ten Donald Blakes. :v:"

Hell, I don't think anyone's a Donald Blake fan, I just don't think that taking a nice little Silver Age slice of a character's history and making it GRIM AND DARK is very cash money of comic books nowadays.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Did they start the new story arc yet? Been waiting to jump in on Guardians.

Yep, this is the first issue of the new arc/new status quo. Seems like the perfect time to jump on.

And, fair point everyone about how being a prolific writer isn’t so rare.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Ponsonby Britt posted:

1602, where Donald Blake is a devout Christian cleric who's having a really serious crisis of faith about the apparent existence of a pagan god in his brain.

drat, this was good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BrianWilly posted:

"Oh you're a Donald Blake fan? Name ten Donald Blakes. :v:"

Hell, I don't think anyone's a Donald Blake fan, I just don't think that taking a nice little Silver Age slice of a character's history and making it GRIM AND DARK is very cash money of comic books nowadays.

I'm not so sure what's grim and dark about it. In fact I think Donald Blake not being "real" is actually way less dark than the alternative, which is kind of a wonder woman 84 situation where Thor was using this guy's body to do poo poo without him really having much say in the matter. It's much better if he was a simulacrum made by Odin to teach Thor about what it's like to be human without throwing a God into the body an unwitting, disabled man.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Your not sure what's Grimdark about taking a quaint relic of a superhero's past and making it into a psychopathic murderer dressed like a leather daddy?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Your not sure what's Grimdark about taking a quaint relic of a superhero's past and making it into a psychopathic murderer dressed like a leather daddy?

Oh that specific thing sucks but just the Donald Blake not being a real person thing is fine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It just depends. Didn't JMS write Blake as a real person?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

It just depends. Didn't JMS write Blake as a real person?

He wrote him as a separate person due to Ragnarok but still he wasn't real in that he was a person fabricated by Odin.

I think he mostly ignored the Roy Thomas stuff from the '90s but I may be forgetting something.

X-O fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 15, 2021

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Everybody remember Thunderstrike? Anyone? Remember that guy too?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I didn't realize Power Pack was a mini. It was so good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it was originally one of a group of pseudo-tie ins for that champions thing that was dead on arival

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm not so sure what's grim and dark about it. In fact I think Donald Blake not being "real" is actually way less dark than the alternative, which is kind of a wonder woman 84 situation where Thor was using this guy's body to do poo poo without him really having much say in the matter. It's much better if he was a simulacrum made by Odin to teach Thor about what it's like to be human without throwing a God into the body an unwitting, disabled man.

Other than that first time where he turned into Thor to get out of a cave, Blake knew what he was signing up for when he tapped his cane so it's not really like a WW84 situation regardless of which entity came first.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't even know where this idea of Thor and Donald being two separate people came from. Well, actually, I do know, but that itself was a retcon. Originally, Donald was just Thor as a human. Odin had literally turned Thor into Donald...he wasn't some other, existing person that Thor possessed.

Really, I just like the idea of Thor actually having a part of him -- a history -- that represented his human sympathies and human experiences. Again, it made him different than, better than, the other gods.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Gatts posted:

Everybody remember Thunderstrike? Anyone? Remember that guy too?

What about Blood Axe...

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I saw it claimed somewhere on another forum in a discussion about FatWS that there was a years-long legal dispute between Marvel and Robert Morales' estate over the rights to Isaiah Bradley and the two characters derived from him (Josiah X and, much more significantly, Eli Bradley/Patriot) which was only recently resolved, and that this was the actual reason Eli basically didn't appear in comics in between the end of Children's Crusade and Marvel Comics #1000, with writers like Kieron Gillen saying that they weren't allowed to use him. anyone know if this is accurate?

speaking of Marvel Comics #1000, what happened to the Defenders book that was teased back in February? been no news about it since

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Barry Convex posted:

I saw it claimed somewhere on another forum in a discussion about FatWS that there was a years-long legal dispute between Marvel and Robert Morales' estate over the rights to Isaiah Bradley and the two characters derived from him (Josiah X and, much more significantly, Eli Bradley/Patriot) which was only recently resolved, and that this was the actual reason Eli basically didn't appear in comics in between the end of Children's Crusade and Marvel Comics #1000, with writers like Kieron Gillen saying that they weren't allowed to use him. anyone know if this is accurate?

speaking of Marvel Comics #1000, what happened to the Defenders book that was teased back in February? been no news about it since

I don't think anything happened to it. They teased it for summer so we'll probably hear something this month or in May

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The only interview with Gillen where it discusses him "not being able to use" Patriot/Eli is this 2013 Comics Alliance one where the interviewer mentions how "you've said Eli Bradley is earmarked by someone else". At the time of the interview/publication of Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers, Morales was still alive, so it's possible that the behind-the-scenes stuff shifted from "Morales was in talks to do a Truth II or something" to "Morales's estate is suing Marvel", or it could have been a Heinberg thing -- the Young Avengers were largely in limbo/vamping status for the period between the end of the first Young Avengers series and Childrens Crusade in part because Heinberg/Cheung were going to be coming back "soon" to do their follow-up series.

It's all pretty suspicious, though they also never (to my knowledge) pulled any of the collections/digital editions of the Isiah/Eli Bradley comics or stopped including him in flashback panels to Young Avengers stories or stopped mentioning them in handbooks, so that would be a change from other characters who get completely memory-holed during rights battles. Though again, looking it up for other characters:

Rom's appearance in Incredible Hulk #296 can be purchased digitally/read on Unlimited, and is also available in print as part of a trade collecting the Bill Mantlo run.
Rom's appearance in Power Man & Iron Fist #73 is conspicuously absent from Comixology, which has issues #50-72 and #74-107 available, then #121 because it's part of Secret Wars II (PM&IF was only the title from issues #50-125)
Rom's appearance in Marvel Two-In-One #99 is nowhere to be found digitally, but they also haven't digitized that series up to the 88th issue at the moment.

Godzilla never officially appeared outside of the Godzilla comic during Marvel's initial run, so that wasn't any help.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

do they do digital versions of the Two in One with Doc Savage?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Karma Tornado posted:

do they do digital versions of the Two in One with Doc Savage?
Looks like you can buy both the Marvel Two-in-One with Doc Savage and the Giant-Size Spider-Man with Doc Savage, yeah.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Edge & Christian posted:

The only interview with Gillen where it discusses him "not being able to use" Patriot/Eli is this 2013 Comics Alliance one where the interviewer mentions how "you've said Eli Bradley is earmarked by someone else". At the time of the interview/publication of Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers, Morales was still alive, so it's possible that the behind-the-scenes stuff shifted from "Morales was in talks to do a Truth II or something" to "Morales's estate is suing Marvel", or it could have been a Heinberg thing -- the Young Avengers were largely in limbo/vamping status for the period between the end of the first Young Avengers series and Childrens Crusade in part because Heinberg/Cheung were going to be coming back "soon" to do their follow-up series.

It's all pretty suspicious, though they also never (to my knowledge) pulled any of the collections/digital editions of the Isiah/Eli Bradley comics or stopped including him in flashback panels to Young Avengers stories or stopped mentioning them in handbooks, so that would be a change from other characters who get completely memory-holed during rights battles. Though again, looking it up for other characters:

Rom's appearance in Incredible Hulk #296 can be purchased digitally/read on Unlimited, and is also available in print as part of a trade collecting the Bill Mantlo run.
Rom's appearance in Power Man & Iron Fist #73 is conspicuously absent from Comixology, which has issues #50-72 and #74-107 available, then #121 because it's part of Secret Wars II (PM&IF was only the title from issues #50-125)
Rom's appearance in Marvel Two-In-One #99 is nowhere to be found digitally, but they also haven't digitized that series up to the 88th issue at the moment.

Godzilla never officially appeared outside of the Godzilla comic during Marvel's initial run, so that wasn't any help.

Yeah, I couldn’t find actual sources on a Morales/Marvel legal dispute either. I had previously assumed that Eli’s absence from the comics was due to Heinberg having some sort of hold with editorial on the character, and that still might have been the case. But I guess it’ll remain unclear what happened for now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I honestly assumed there was just awkwardness with the optics of a Black hero getting their superpowers from shooting up street drugs. Does he even appear in Children's Crusade? I feel like he doesn't do much if he does, as that was mostly a story about Wanda and her kids.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Don't make me remember what happened in Children's Crusade.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Edge & Christian posted:

The Hulk issue is a weird one because the issue is TECHNICALLY up on there, but in an abbreviated form. The “cover” they show is just a random panel from the issue. They do a cropped “synopsis” of the part of the story involving Rom without showing him or using his name, then go on to the rest of the story that doesn’t have him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That stuff is why I'm amazed they decided to have Conan interact with the rest of the Marvel universe. There's things like Rom and the Micronauts being memory holed, and then there's the weird poo poo like stuff from the Godzilla book being canon for SHIELD, the Fu Manchu stuff for Shang Chi and all the Transformers nonsense like Death's Head and the variable relationship with IDW meaning sometimes they can reprint the Marvel Transformers issues with Spider-Man in, and sometimes not.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

only tangentially related but the greatest Rom appearance of all time is somewhere in EARTH X, maybe UNIVERSE X. Captain America goes to Limbo and runs into a nondescript dude with long hair holding Rom's torso as a shield, immediately recognizes him as Rom, and shouts like "the GREATEST of the SPACE KNIGHTS" because an invisible attorney tapped him on the shoulder between panels and said "we, uh, we can use his gun but not his name"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

GPTribefan posted:

The Hulk issue is a weird one because the issue is TECHNICALLY up on there, but in an abbreviated form. The “cover” they show is just a random panel from the issue. They do a cropped “synopsis” of the part of the story involving Rom without showing him or using his name, then go on to the rest of the story that doesn’t have him.[/timg]
Weird! Is that part of the trade?

Because the full comic including the ROM featuring cover appears to be for sale on Comixology.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

That stuff is why I'm amazed they decided to have Conan interact with the rest of the Marvel universe. There's things like Rom and the Micronauts being memory holed, and then there's the weird poo poo like stuff from the Godzilla book being canon for SHIELD, the Fu Manchu stuff for Shang Chi and all the Transformers nonsense like Death's Head and the variable relationship with IDW meaning sometimes they can reprint the Marvel Transformers issues with Spider-Man in, and sometimes not.

Well like with DVD/Streaming and music rights I'm sure all that stuff has been worked out ahead of time. I'd imagine even if Conan was no longer published by Marvel in the future they'd retain rights to Savage Avengers for future reprints regardless. Nobody cared about that poo poo in the '80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Well like with DVD/Streaming and music rights I'm sure all that stuff has been worked out ahead of time. I'd imagine even if Conan was no longer published by Marvel in the future they'd retain rights to Savage Avengers for future reprints regardless. Nobody cared about that poo poo in the '80s.

I'm actually not sure, there's definitely something weird about it because they won't put it up on Unlimited.