Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
if i wanted to be competent cop who wants to start again what stats should i pick at the beggining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

UnknownMercenary posted:

It's actually really easy to get. You only need 5 negative interactions with him.

that's not why it's difficult :smith:

Zeta Acosta posted:

if i wanted to be competent cop who wants to start again what stats should i pick at the beggining?

stats for competence would probably be some combination of visual calculus, logic, perception, and maybe esprit de corps/authority/half light depending on what you envision a "competent" cop to be. more important for such an archetype would be the Regular Law Official thought for the Boring copotype, which raises all learning caps to 3 and therefore lets harry be reasonably competent all around regardless of your starting stats. wanting to start again also probably leads to the Sorry copotype, which you can mix with Boring for a real buzzkiller

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

World War Mammories posted:

that's not why it's difficult :smith:

Do a high FYS build and embrace your detective's inner rear end in a top hat-ishness.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I broke Mordin Solus and I broke Kim Kitsuragi too

literally stalin irl

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Hitting an all time low with kim was my very first Disco Elysium achievement AMA

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

EorayMel posted:

Hitting an all time low with kim was my very first Disco Elysium achievement AMA

Is it fun being a sociopath?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Zeta Acosta posted:

IMO, 2/2/2/6 Motorics gives you the most competence, though you will probably have to smoke and drink a bit, and maybe shuffle your clothes around. 4/2/2/4 is also good and art cop can give you tons of spare XP.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Disco Pope posted:

Is it fun being a sociopath?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Tylana posted:

IMO, 2/2/2/6 Motorics gives you the most competence, though you will probably have to smoke and drink a bit, and maybe shuffle your clothes around. 4/2/2/4 is also good and art cop can give you tons of spare XP.

thanks!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think 4/3/1/4 is a better "hyper competent detective" build overall but I guess it's not THAT different. Just nice to have those extra points in and higher cap for empathy, authority, and esprit de corps.

And then you can use your signature skill to determine whether or not you talk to inanimate objects!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Soona's new VA has possibly the most natural and convincing delivery of someone sounding *really* annoyed and frustrated that I remember hearing in a video game. The recording quality seems a bit off and she sounds a bit reedy, but drat she really sells those "No, that's not.... Look, could you PLEASE let me work" moments.

Also, I dunno if it's been mentioned before, but I'm reasonably sure her surname is some sort of reference to this person. The name is unique enough that I think it's highly unlikely to be coincidental, plus there's the whole connection with weird para-natural poo poo.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

One minor theory I've got about the game is that skills basically like or dislike people based on their score in that specific skill. Authority loves Kim explicitly because Kim's Authority is wildly high, Esprit de Corps loves Kim because Kim would take a bullet for you simply because you're a fellow cop, reds appreciate reds, yellows appreciate yellows, blues appreciate blues, etc. Which might explain why Volition alone despises Klaasje- she's got phenomenal skills in all other areas and absolutely no urge to be a good person.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tylana posted:

I went with 4/3/2/3 (and tagged Conceptualization) in my own novel playthrough thus far. While I am only at the second day, it has been amazing, even if I had to both adopt and subsequently purge my brain of being a tankie.

How do you get more space for thoughts, or equip/unequip them? Is there a skill you have to up, or does it take multiple points?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Nessus posted:

How do you get more space for thoughts, or equip/unequip them? Is there a skill you have to up, or does it take multiple points?

you start with three open slots for thoughts; and it costs one skill point for each additional space you unlock

while you are internalizing/researching a thought, you can pause and unpause it at will. (useful if the internalizing is getting you a penalty on a roll you need.) however, one you have fully internalized a thought it's locked in and costs a skill point to forget (which is basically never worth doing, especially when you still have slots to unlock)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Somfin posted:

One minor theory I've got about the game is that skills basically like or dislike people based on their score in that specific skill. Authority loves Kim explicitly because Kim's Authority is wildly high, Esprit de Corps loves Kim because Kim would take a bullet for you simply because you're a fellow cop, reds appreciate reds, yellows appreciate yellows, blues appreciate blues, etc. Which might explain why Volition alone despises Klaasje- she's got phenomenal skills in all other areas and absolutely no urge to be a good person.

Currently going 4/2/2/4 with Conceptualization as my tag skill, already got Superstar and planning on grabbing Art Cop as well. Drama comes in really handy for navigating conversations in a way that makes you seem like you've got your poo poo together, specifically when dealing with Evrart.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Bloody Pom posted:

Currently going 4/2/2/4 with Conceptualization as my tag skill, already got Superstar and planning on grabbing Art Cop as well. Drama comes in really handy for navigating conversations in a way that makes you seem like you've got your poo poo together, specifically when dealing with Evrart.

You should listen to Drama when it talks about serial numbers, much like you should level up Half Light and listen to it about everything other than serial numbers

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Huh, I think my Final Cut game just dead ended on Day 1. Never got the chance to pay for my room... the eventual opportunity just never appeared, so now its past midnight and while I can keep running around doing things at the moment, I'm starting to think this is just going to end up with me having to restart.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

litany of gulps posted:

Huh, I think my Final Cut game just dead ended on Day 1. Never got the chance to pay for my room... the eventual opportunity just never appeared, so now its past midnight and while I can keep running around doing things at the moment, I'm starting to think this is just going to end up with me having to restart.
How far have you gotten with the case?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

litany of gulps posted:

weird, but of course plausible. garte doesn't have a dialogue option about it? kim hasn't brought up going to sleep? no options to bug anyone for cash?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Doing the bonus neoliberal quest and love the physical instrument check that calls Cindy the Skull out for for trying to hustle you a normal painting palette as one of her "special works"

I can't wait to try out the other political sidequests that were added

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Uhhhhh, so Shivers-related church questline end spoilers: Anyone else succeeded in "engaging hyperdrive" while dancing and then passed a Godly Rhetoric passive while talking with La Revacholiere? Because uhhhhhh that's quite a revelation she gives for the future and what she needs Harry for. :stonk:

God, I love this game so much.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 15, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Nordick posted:

Uhhhhh, so Shivers-related church questline end spoilers: Anyone else succeeded in "engaging hyperdrive" while dancing and then passed a Godly Rhetoric passive while talking with La Revacholiere? Because uhhhhhh that's quite a revelation she gives for the future and what she needs Harry for. :stonk:

Can you tell me what happens in this scene? I think I got it but I failed a check in the middle of it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Nordick posted:

is it the talk about how she will be erased in nuclear fire in twenty-odd years?

one of the Apocalypse Cop lines is "there are 9,855 days remaining" and I'm pretty sure it's right

e: while I'm at it, something I didn't pick up on until this, my seventh or eighth playthrough: regarding how Dolores Dei wasn't human. much is made of her love of war games, eg. the figurine gift, her iconography holding a tin soldier, etc. and the way she ruled was described as playing a game against some unknown, long-dead opponent. I don't think there's more to pull from, but it seems plausible that Dei was in some sense a spirit, genius loci, whatever that had the goal of spreading Pale through the "vacuum of cosmos and the stars burning in it." because if Pale comes from the human mind, if something wanted to spread the Pale, it would try to get humans advanced enough to leave Elysium before the planet was consumed entirely...

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 15, 2021

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I love this game, the new additions that came with the final cut, and the ability to play it on my ps4, finally, BUT...

It'd be really great if it'd stop crashing so much. Last time, I lost a TON of progress cause it happened at the end of a rather long and revealing stretch of dialogue and stuff that brought with it a good chunk of experience, several full thoughts, etc. Sucked to have to go back through all that, cause I am doing my best to stick with whatever happens and roll with the punches. So when I did all that a second time, I had to be careful to pick the exact same stuff, and fortunately both dice rolls came out the same as they did the first time. Anyway. It's just pretty annoying, and I thought maybe the patches fixed it but nah.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I love this game, the new additions that came with the final cut, and the ability to play it on my ps4, finally, BUT...

It'd be really great if it'd stop crashing so much. Last time, I lost a TON of progress cause it happened at the end of a rather long and revealing stretch of dialogue and stuff that brought with it a good chunk of experience, several full thoughts, etc. Sucked to have to go back through all that, cause I am doing my best to stick with whatever happens and roll with the punches. So when I did all that a second time, I had to be careful to pick the exact same stuff, and fortunately both dice rolls came out the same as they did the first time. Anyway. It's just pretty annoying, and I thought maybe the patches fixed it but nah.

yeah it seems like the patches have fixed most everything except the persistent crashing. I’ve developed kind of a sixth sense for it though, multiple times I’ve consciously stopped myself before a doorway and manual saved then entered and immediately crashed on load. wonder what voice that is helping me dodge progress loss, shivers?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Proletarian Mango posted:

no beard w/ expression - represents old, pre-breakup harry. a twisted simulacrum of what was

beard w/ expression - new harry turned from the cold reality of the current world. expression acts as "shield".

beard no expression - new harry, present with the current world. a different man but a new beginning?

no beard no expression - just utterly sad

No Beard + Expression : sailors take warning

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Discuss.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

well?

how did he smell?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Nosfereefer posted:

well?

how did he smell?

Like pine needles.

Also:

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Mandrel posted:

yeah it seems like the patches have fixed most everything except the persistent crashing. I’ve developed kind of a sixth sense for it though, multiple times I’ve consciously stopped myself before a doorway and manual saved then entered and immediately crashed on load. wonder what voice that is helping me dodge progress loss, shivers?

If that's how it works, I guess my shivers are getting a little better, too, cause I just did a save before leaving the Whirling and wound up being right about an eminent crash, too.

The biggest pain in the rear end regarding the repeating of lost progress due to a crash that I've encountered: the first time I went through, I failed an easy dice roll, and because I wanted so badly to eat all the consequences I got the first attempt, I wound up repeating it like seven times just to fail a dice roll. I feel like doing that may have made me lose a little more of my mind, lol. Just gonna have to start saving after, like, every serious interaction or bit of progress, I 'spose.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Inland Empire represents your intuition and the feeling you get when you should/shouldn't do something without really understanding why.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

EorayMel posted:

Like pine needles.

Also:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Inland Empire represents your intuition and the feeling you get when you should/shouldn't do something without really understanding why.

hell yeah I’ve got inland empire out my rear end

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

GlyphGryph posted:

IIRC Shivers is really the only explicitly supernatural skill whereas with Inland Empire there's some level of ambiguity as to how much of that is just your imagination/subconscious.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kraftwerk posted:

Can you tell me what happens in this scene? I think I got it but I failed a check in the middle of it.

Yeah, what World War Mammories said. More specifically, with the successful passive check, Rhetoric pieces together that La Revacholiere is afraid. And when you ask about it, she says that 22 years from now, she will cease to be as all of Revachol gets leveled by an atomic device. And she wants Harry to be her protector, to prevent it from happening. Because she's afraid to die. :(

World War Mammories posted:

one of the Apocalypse Cop lines is "there are 9,855 days remaining" and I'm pretty sure it's right

9855 days, assuming our standard 365 days per year, is 27 years. The last paragraph in the devblog entry "Welcome to Revachol" cryptically (at the time I read it) states it's 28 years till the end of the world. So yeah, Apocacop Harry is... pretty drat close. I could imagine that as the Pale keeps growing and growing, the world will get increasingly desperate to the extent that Revachol could get nuked for ~*reasons*~. Hell, maybe there will be a second Revolution and the Coalition just busts out the nuclear option. Or maybe a bit of both. In any case, I found it a super tantalising reveal.

EDIT: Unrelated, while we're sharing random dialog screenshots, here's Conceptualization laying down some loving mood

Nordick fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 15, 2021

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Starting up a 2/4/4/2 with Conceptualization tagged, should be a fun little ride.

Also it is mandatory that new players be advised to fail the early Klaasje red check.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I really hope they make a sequel set in Jamrock. Not ready to leave this world.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Somfin posted:

Starting up a 2/4/4/2 with Conceptualization tagged, should be a fun little ride.

Also it is mandatory that new players be advised to fail the early Klaasje red check.

Same, but for singing karaoke.

UnknownMercenary posted:

I've played this game like 5 times now and I've never passed that check regardless of how I build my character.

You actually get a +1 modifier if you get a super lucky roll and stop the expression in the mirror before you leave the room

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 15, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Somfin posted:

I've played this game like 5 times now and I've never passed that check regardless of how I build my character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

UnknownMercenary posted:

The fact that it's one of the early checks that is extremely fail forward, and also considering who Klaasje is and what she's been doing, I'm not convinced that passing it would be anything more than just, y'know, a hungover dude semi-competently hitting on a lady on a mezzanine, which she's probably excruciatingly used to.

If you pass the "make up a new name" conceptualization check all you get is "eh, now's not the time."