Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Achmed Jones posted:

monster hunter rise is really fun yall

stabbing dinosaurs is cool. try it

my next hunt is a giant bunny monster that throws snowballs. im gonna stab it with my sword and my dog will bite it and my cat will be a stupid useless cat idk

it’s so great. combat and gear progression are deep. hub world grows. multiplayer is seamless and pubbies do not suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i got the demo but it was kind of annoying. they’d tell me to do something but i can’t remember which buttons it wants me to press (this may just be my problem idk).

looks fun but i’m worried i’ll feel bad about killing all the monsters.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, I bounced off the mh: rise demo too

still enjoying outriders though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Eeyo posted:

i got the demo but it was kind of annoying. they’d tell me to do something but i can’t remember which buttons it wants me to press (this may just be my problem idk).

looks fun but i’m worried i’ll feel bad about killing all the monsters.

the worst part about learning to play MH is learning the controls because just about everything is context sensitive or modified by holding down another button. it's not as hard as it might seem, but it is intimidating and takes some getting used to

fwiw the first time you hunt a monster you get a little cutscene of it eating/bullying smaller monsters

also make sure to set the voices to the monster hunter language, the english dub is not great

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

disagree the english dub is big and dumb just like the game, and it is perfect. i believe with all my heart that the japanese voice acting is just as silly

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
i just found the cutscene voices irritating, especially the opening poems that have really hosed up rhythm and meter

player character voices and incidental dialogue are fine in english

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

it makes the whole thing like watching kabuki theater which is p. great

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

i just found the cutscene voices irritating, especially the opening poems that have really hosed up rhythm and meter

desolate wasteland
perfect for lighthearted hunts
but do not let your guard down
dont pull any stunts

for the mud hides secrets
and none of them are good
where once was sand and water
a monster is now stood

lmao

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i forgot about those, i gotta agree that they're p bad

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
might gently caress around and give hl: alyx a go

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sapozhnik posted:

might gently caress around and give hl: alyx a go

DO IT

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Windows Mixed Reality is atrociously designed buggy garbage for everything except the core VR system. Shocking coming from noted high-quality software house Microsoft, I know. Just everything about the whole experience from WMR to Steam VR to Alyx itself is completely devoid of explanations and is a multi-hour puzzle in its own right.

I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to play this sitting down or standing up or what, everything was around shin-height when I tried it standing. I set the movement to full iron stomach COME AT ME BRO mode and it definitely took me a little bit of time to learn to suppress the vertigo from the continuous movement mode. Then I encountered a wall I'm clearly supposed to vault over, saw an explanatory popup in the corner of my eye for half a second, couldn't get over the wall at all, then a minute later the game crashed. A+ experience.

It is amazingly smooth and pretty though, especially considering my PC isn't exactly top of the line. I bought the super duper high resolution HP headset.

e: figured a few more things out, this is pretty neat

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 17, 2021

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/TheRetroBearDen/status/1382019498753069059

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

Windows Mixed Reality is atrociously designed buggy garbage for everything except the core VR system. Shocking coming from noted high-quality software house Microsoft, I know. Just everything about the whole experience from WMR to Steam VR to Alyx itself is completely devoid of explanations and is a multi-hour puzzle in its own right.

I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to play this sitting down or standing up or what, everything was around shin-height when I tried it standing. I set the movement to full iron stomach COME AT ME BRO mode and it definitely took me a little bit of time to learn to suppress the vertigo from the continuous movement mode. Then I encountered a wall I'm clearly supposed to vault over, saw an explanatory popup in the corner of my eye for half a second, couldn't get over the wall at all, then a minute later the game crashed. A+ experience.

It is amazingly smooth and pretty though, especially considering my PC isn't exactly top of the line. I bought the super duper high resolution HP headset.

e: figured a few more things out, this is pretty neat

the windows vr/ar/mr stuff seems real clearly to be some high-up executive being really excited about that dumb poo poo for precisely 6 months, enough to drive having to do some half-assed implementations but not enough to make anything good or relevant. not that it is clear it is an area where anything good or relevant *could* be made.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Well fellow jamers, I started playing the new subnautica since I figured the launch trailer meant it was done being early access. Haven't touched it in 2 years and it starts totally different than it used to. It's pretty fun so far :coolfish:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is like 95% done but the end of the story isn't released yet. may 14th is the official date.

i am waiting until then, personally

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i hunted a couple monsters today. it was fun. one was big spongy lizard guy and the other was a amphibian thing with a long neck and a lamprey mouth.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1383722381126995970

lol Limmy

like it says, Spoilers for lategame Subnautica poo poo

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 18, 2021

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/gifzelda/status/1383473060318040072?s=21

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

that doesnt make sense because the 90s only ended a few years ago. right?

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 18, 2021

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
saga frontier remastered is so good

they kept the junk shop and gold ingot bugs even

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Nothing worthwhile has happened so far in this century.

Plenty of bad things, sure, but worthwhile?

Even the crap on the radio hasn't really changed that much compared to say the difference between the 60s and the 80s.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sapozhnik posted:

much like your poasting!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

https://twitter.com/SamGreszes/status/1383666547642699777

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

they spelled jame wrong

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sapozhnik posted:

Even the crap on the radio hasn't really changed that much compared to say the difference between the 60s and the 80s.

it sucks

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

gently caress off with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6swmTBVI83k

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM3Z_Kskl_U

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Sapozhnik posted:

i hate this doomposting and i especially hate that last sentence. maybe if you are 100% basing it off top 40 and if you really want to get into such a reductive viewpoint, pop music has sounded the same since the 80s and the rise of the 808 but no in 20 years some absolutely crazy poo poo has come out, musically.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also “uptown funk” is the “september” of this generation and ill be honest bruno mars (and mark ronson) make great music

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Sapozhnik posted:

lol this is just called getting old and out of touch - every generation thinks this, e.g. my boomer in-laws think no meaningful culture has happened since 1970

e: and just as a friendly reminder 1970 was fifty one years ago

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol Limmy has just gotten started with No Mans Sky and

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1384507680518066187
(sound on)

:eyepop:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Mad Wack posted:

lol this is just called getting old and out of touch - every generation thinks this, e.g. my boomer in-laws think no meaningful culture has happened since 1970

e: and just as a friendly reminder 1970 was fifty one years ago

i didnt want to but yeah big ok boomer energy lok

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol Limmy has just gotten started with No Mans Sky and

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1384507680518066187
(sound on)

:eyepop:

lucky

I spent half an hour on a planet described as "worm-riddled" and didn't see one, I think that's a separate kind of environment descriptor and doesn't actually mean there are worms

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

lucky

I spent half an hour on a planet described as "worm-riddled" and didn't see one, I think that's a separate kind of environment descriptor and doesn't actually mean there are worms

turn off your monitor

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i've been having a lot of fun playing valheim with pals. we're up to the point where we consistently have iron and we recently made a harpoon which we used to drag a sea serpent onto land for its meat and scales

this game seems like too much on your own but it's a blast with 3 or 4 people

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah valheim is definitely a play with friends kind of game. playing it solo would suck a lot

it takes a village to conquer the afterlife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
PS4 havers: Horizon Zero Dawn Complete is currently free on PSN for a couple weeks. No PS+ required