Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Organza Quiz posted:

You can but it's annoying! I probably wouldn't try it with someone who wasn't tech savvy but your tolerance for teaching might be higher than mine.

It almost certainly is not.

Organza Quiz posted:

There's a lot of music available in the base game now if you include content packs, and how many of the custom songs is she really going to know anyway?

This is a good point. When I asked her if there was anything she'd like me to look for on the custom song sites her first request was for something by The Byrds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried running those programs in compatibility mode for Windows 7 at all?

Yeah, no dice..I don't know what they rely on that breaks in win10 but I'm kind of at my limit on troubleshooting and the company is long since gone. Sadly the stupid plugin is a key part of my workflow.

I'm sure I'll be doing the reverse next build where I have this dumb small win 7 partition just for one thing. I'm just salty that I'm in that situation for VR of all things right now, and I know for a fact that people that have figured out the magic combo of downgrades on win7 have 0 issues still running the cv1..forced bricking is some total bullshit

e: to clarify, right around the big ole WINDOWS 7 SUPPORT ENDS JAN 2020 is when i last used it, no problems, worked in everything.
I guess whenever I connected it and updated the next time, the firmware push was the thing, and the headset no longer displayed..anything. Just flashed the proximity sensor. Tried openvr instead, tried steam vr, windows just didn't see the thing as anything, display or not. People that were able to rollback to before that firmware had a working headset again.

Being able to brick it beyond oculus home was the straw that broke me

and, it worked again as soon as I had a windows 10 boot. i can't imagine pissing off windows 7 rift owners in an already niche market was the move, i can't be the only one that will never buy their hardware again

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 18, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

Last time I had my CV1 was end of 2019. Went to set it up last week and they (facebook) bricked the headset on windows 7 with some firmware push.
After a day and a half of trying all the things other win7 rift havers had to do like rolling back to old nvidia drivers, rolling back to old oculus installers, all that fun stuff I gave up, shrank my boot drive and dual booted windows 10.

I'm fully aware win7 is EOL, this rig is going on 10 years old and will be rebuilt sometime this year or next, but there's something really lovely about bricking the hardware until you upgrade the OS when the thing ran with no issues before they forced the change on win7...

All it really did was make sure I never give oculus more money when I go to upgrade headsets in the future. I still have legacy software I need for work that doesn't have win10 support and most likely never will, but I guess I can go gently caress myself. I'm going to finish up alyx, flatten this win 10 install and put this thing back on a shelf to collect dust. Hopefully there's other options on the market in a year or two so I can avoid these clowns.

Not even going to go into deading the gear after the contract expired with samsung to get people on the go instead...my dumbass had a decent gear library of paid apps that never got ported to anything else (guess I'm never finishing lands end)..

e: apparently you can emulate go apps on the quest, i'd rather punch myself in the dick then buy a quest and have that eol'd too. Fool me twice

They already effectively eol'd the original Quest, that Resident Evil 4 VR port is Quest 2 exclusive. Facebook haven't been great with long term product support. That said, couldn't you run Windows 7 in a VM or something?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol at swearing off a product because it doesn’t work on windows 7 in the year of our lord 2021.

Microsoft was practically throwing windows 10 keys at anyone who bothered to press the update button a few years back.

This ones on you, friend.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Windows 7 keys still work

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SCheeseman posted:

They already effectively eol'd the original Quest, that Resident Evil 4 VR port is Quest 2 exclusive. Facebook haven't been great with long term product support. That said, couldn't you run Windows 7 in a VM or something?

true, in theory, i don't know if the legacy plug in i need would break in a vm, but i'd give this a shot first when i end up switching to win 10/new rig. either way i'm going to end up running two os's thanks to software but i'm less pissed about the one i need to make money then the headset run by a billion dollar corporation

to be fair palmer turned out to be a chud so i don't know if we wouldn't have some other crap to deal with had he not sold to facebook

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lol at swearing off a product because it doesn’t work on windows 7 in the year of our lord 2021.

Microsoft was practically throwing windows 10 keys at anyone who bothered to press the update button a few years back.

This ones on you, friend.

yeah, i mean, if you actually read what i wrote though, of why forced bricking sucks...but sure, defend facebook

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sure forced bricking sucks but it’s not like continued support of windows 7 requires zero effort either.

Where should they spend that effort? Supporting the extremely niche within a niche within a niche group of people still running a CV1 on windows 7? Or just, you know, not do that? Especially since it’s next to zero effort for those windows 7 users to upgrade to 10 and be right back into support?

You’re making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my $1000 valve index isn’t working on my windows 95 install help pls

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I definitely sympathize with old work software that isn't up to date, my workplace is only just upgrading to Windows 10. And Oculus doesn't need to support Windows 7, but bricking it, whether intentionally or not, is lovely as gently caress.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Sure forced bricking sucks but it’s not like continued support of windows 7 requires zero effort either.

Where should they spend that effort? Supporting the extremely niche within a niche within a niche group of people still running a CV1 on windows 7? Or just, you know, not do that? Especially since it’s next to zero effort for those windows 7 users to upgrade to 10 and be right back into support?

You’re making a mountain out of a molehill here.

I would agree with you if the people that downgraded one firmware version before the one that bricked the thing they bought had issues running things. But they don't..so without a reason other than "we just don't want to support this" that doesn't work for me when the answer is to paperweight the thing in everything system-wide outside of their dumb garden.

And the reality is, this cv1 will go next to the gear headset i bought from them, that was also EOL'd even though it could/can still work fine, had a decent community, and a decent library that wasn't ported. I'm not expecting anything from facebook, the gear thing made that very obvious, especially when it was to push the go, which was then supplanted by pushing the quest..you see the pattern.

So, two headsets that will collect dust, and I'll just buy hardware for the next go from valve, or htc, or anyone that isn't facebook...oh well.

It's weird that all the moves to wall vr in and corner it like exclusives (which work with injectors on other things anyway go figure) are just doing the opposite of pushing for wide adoption..maybe let VR get to a place of ubiquity before pullin' those dick moves

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe I don’t understand your issue fully. Can you not just upgrade to windows 10 and be 100% functional again? Is there a part of it I’m missing?

As someone who still owns a CV1 :hfive:, and a quest 2, it works perfect in windows 10.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I am being reminded of the people who played iRacing and raged a few years back when they ended support for Windows XP.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Maybe I don’t understand your issue fully. Can you not just upgrade to windows 10 and be 100% functional again? Is there a part of it I’m missing?

As someone who still owns a CV1 :hfive:, and a quest 2, it works perfect in windows 10.

i'm dual booting right now entirely for vr to continue to use the headset that worked fine in the os i was using the last time i used it.

on a machine that is due for an upgrade, on a headset that is due for an upgrade.

the way this went, guess what company i'm not buying that headset from

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They said they had work software that wasn't supported in Windows 10, which I unfortunately have experience of.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just know that you're the outlier and no one else in the market cares. And from an IT perspective, what you're talking about is a ticking time bomb waiting to happen. Put Win7 in a VM and use Win10 for your day to day. And find another product or adjust your work flow accordingly, because what you've described is not sustainable.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 18, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Maybe I don’t understand your issue fully.
They're upset because the company apparently took a pro-active step to disable his headset on an EoL OS.

Previously the headset had worked fine.

This isn't a case of Why Doesn't XP support my Ultrawide 12k monitor. It's a forced obsolescence thing.

And yes, I think we're all savvy enough to understand "don't run your stuff on an OS that isn't getting regular updates". It still sucks from a consumer point of view

Internet Explorer posted:

And find another product or adjust your work flow accordingly, because what you've described is not sustainable.
Christ you're a dick. What if that's beyond their control?

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 18, 2021

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think you guys are missing the key thing here, people that sidestepped the bricking firmware can still use the hardware with no issues on windows 7 still. I wasn't so lucky, even though I tried every step in every order possible short of a full system wide restore point..at that point it was like, ok fine, i'll shrink and dual boot windows 10 if that's the amount of effort needed to unbrick this.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

install linux, problem solved

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Cowcaster posted:

1- is that av al columbia???

2- i would laugh pretty hard if linux support for oculus software was better than windows..is..that true?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cowcaster posted:

This is way meaner than what IE said. Also no, Oculus is Windows only. Which hilariously means MacOS has better VR support than Linux as it at least has a Virtual Desktop client.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

They're upset because the company apparently took a pro-active step to disable his headset on an EoL OS.

Previously the headset had worked fine.

This isn't a case of Why Doesn't XP support my Ultrawide 12k monitor. It's a forced obsolescence thing.

And yes, I think we're all savvy enough to understand "don't run your stuff on an OS that isn't getting regular updates". It still sucks from a consumer point of view

Christ you're a dick. What if that's beyond their control?

Planned obsolescence is not a company saying they won't support a 3rd party's solution anymore. Facebook is not selling you a new version of Windows, or a new VR headset that will work with Windows 7. They are simply saying that they will no longer support running their software/hardware on an OS that is 10 years old. This isn't some surprising thing, that's how this stuff works. Technology stacks are just that, stacks, that have certain requirements at each level, and if your foundational stack is not modern, don't be surprised when modern things don't work well.

As far as me being a dick for saying find another product or adjust your workflow... ah... what? That's the reality of the situation. It's time to find a new product or adjust their workflow. I'm sorry if that's a dickish thing to say.

zer0spunk posted:

I think you guys are missing the key thing here, people that sidestepped the bricking firmware can still use the hardware with no issues on windows 7 still. I wasn't so lucky, even though I tried every step in every order possible short of a full system wide restore point..at that point it was like, ok fine, i'll shrink and dual boot windows 10 if that's the amount of effort needed to unbrick this.

I don't think anyone is missing that. Facebook is likely using new features that are only available on Windows 10, when they pushed an update that uses (or is planning on using) those features, that makes it not work on Windows 7 devices. If you uninstall that firmware, then it keeps working. This is no different than having an old app on your phone that only supports an older OS and then having a new OS break that app, so rolling back to the older OS fixes it. It's perfectly fine as a workaround, but it's not a good position to be in and it's good that you're looking into alternatives. Seriously though, putting Win 7 in a VM will likely be a lot easier than having to boot out and boot back in each time you need to go back and forth. Depending on how your app integrates into the rest of your workflow, you might even be able to just have the app run in the VM while still integrated into your Win10 UI, similar to something like VMware Workstation's "Unity Mode" or VirtualBox's "Seamless mode." https://www.howtogeek.com/171145/use-virtualboxs-seamless-mode-or-vmwares-unity-mode-to-seamlessly-run-programs-from-a-virtual-machine/

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 18, 2021

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Internet Explorer posted:

Planned obsolescence is not a company saying they won't support a 3rd party's solution anymore. Facebook is not selling you a new version of Windows, or a new VR headset that will work with Windows 7. They are simply saying that they will no longer support running their software/hardware on an OS that is 10 years old. This isn't some surprising thing, that's how this stuff works. Technology stacks are just that, stacks, that have certain requirements at each level, and if your foundational stack is not modern, don't be surprised when modern things don't work well.

As far as me being a dick for saying find another product or adjust your workflow... ah... what? That's the reality of the situation. It's time to find a new product or adjust their workflow. I'm sorry if that's a dickish thing to say.

I don't think anyone is missing that. Facebook is likely using new features that are only available on Windows 10, when they pushed an update that uses (or is planning on using) those features, that makes it not work on Windows 7 devices. If you uninstall that firmware, then it keeps working.

Is this where I post the 17 step removal process for every piece of oculus software in your system, then the reinstall of the software but replacing the folders with older folders if you're lucky enough to have been able to purge everything and the stars align..

if they are doing an api thing where in the future (which again, i did mention i'm looking to upgrade this headset multiple times) i'd be locked out of things that need that api to run great, i agree..what i don't agree with is bricking the hardware itself so it can't be used on all the things that don't need newer apis that exist and i bought from them...let alone things outside of their walled thing on steam

i'm not surprised to see people defend forced bricking, but it's still disappointing..that's not..you're a consumer too..don't you..:psyduck: eh you know what, whatever.

vote with your dollars i guess... for the ninth time.. when i upgrade this machine most likely in 6 months tops, the headset upgrade with it won't be anything facebook has made nor would it be in the future..i'm not great with being told how i can use the thing i bought..maybe if i licensed/rented the hardware and didn't own it..sure?...meh to that...i don't think they'll end up being the only choice in the future either even if they are the highest market share among the other hardware companies

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zer0spunk posted:

Is this where I post the 17 step removal process for every piece of oculus software in your system, then the reinstall of the software but replacing the folders with older folders if you're lucky enough to have been able to purge everything and the stars align..

if they are doing an api thing where in the future (which again, i did mention i'm looking to upgrade this headset multiple times) i'd be locked out of things that need that api to run great, i agree..what i don't agree with is bricking the hardware itself so it can't be used on all the things that don't need newer apis that exist and i bought from them...let alone things outside of their walled thing on steam

i'm not surprised to see people defend forced bricking, but it's still disappointing..that's not..you're a consumer too..don't you..:psyduck: eh you know what, whatever.

vote with your dollars i guess... for the ninth time.. when i upgrade this machine most likely in 6 months tops, the headset upgrade with it won't be anything facebook has made nor would it be in the future..i'm not great with being told how i can use the thing i bought..maybe if i licensed/rented the hardware and didn't own it..sure?...meh to that...i don't think they'll end up being the only choice in the future either even if they are the highest market share among the other hardware companies

What's your plugin even for anyway, and why is there not a Win10 version? If it's an ultra-specific work program (eg; client for servers/networked gear/etc), then that should absolutely not be on the same system as your personal stuff to begin with for basic common-sense network security. Silo it in a Virtual machine and use Windows 10 for your day-to-day.

You should not be doing anything professional on what's now an insecure and outdated OS.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’re saying no more Facebook and that’s fine, but does the OG vive still work on windows 7? I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s in a similar postition

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

let's just respect zer0spunk's decision to take his guineas, shillings and farthings elsewhere.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

WMR doesn't work in Win7 so that's not an option.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Didn't they say they were upgrading in 6 months?

And it seems cut and dry.

CV1 worked on Win7. Cool.
Then Facebook flipped the kill switch.
For what reasons? If your CV1 didn't receive the firmware it still works. The only thing the kill switch did was just... stop you from using the thing you own.

That's my read? If he didn't have this firmware, there would be no issue, and the only purpose of the firmware is a flag saying "If this is Win7, don't VR for this homie"

Everyone is getting lost on these other tangents, like telling homie that he needs to update his OS and that it isn't Facebook's fault (???) or something

The point is a kill switch was made for... no reason? And it's keeping one of our homies from playing Gorilla Tag

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Word

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

forest spirit posted:

The point is a kill switch was made for... no reason? And it's keeping one of our homies from playing Gorilla Tag
Exactly, thanks.
Sonos was raked over the coals for their legacy bricking but this is ok somehow?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

OP what plug-in or program is keeping you on 7 if you don’t mind my asking? And while I do agree that it’s like complaining that it doesn’t work on 95 they do have a point that yanking support from a previously working platform is not great. If it was a necessity for some firmware upgrade then it being opt in would have been a better move.

FilthyImp posted:

Exactly, thanks.
Sonos was raked over the coals for their legacy bricking but this is ok somehow?

I agree with the gist of their statement but the delivery could have been better.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

People searching a new fitness game shouldn't forget Blaston
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhLrKCuo9uc&t=272s

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Steamvr 3d view of your room
https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/2471861771402099478

Someone with an Index can try?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
the amount of times the word "bricked" has been used incorrectly on these past several pages makes my eyes bleed

if "unbricking" exists, outside of a manufacturer refurb facility, then your device is not "bricked".

yes, this is like gun nerds going all :goonsay: about "clip" vs "magazine".

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I’d love to! But apparently the two cameras built into the product are experimental and don’t work even after I built a new computer.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This is going to be a dumb question with AirLink coming in a few days but, how is ALVR now? It was pretty bad when I tried more than a year go (I think it was v7 or 8), but it seems it has been steadily improving since mid 2020, they picked up the pace since that date in number of releases.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

forest spirit posted:

For what reasons? If your CV1 didn't receive the firmware it still works. The only thing the kill switch did was just... stop you from using the thing you own.

That's my read? If he didn't have this firmware, there would be no issue, and the only purpose of the firmware is a flag saying "If this is Win7, don't VR for this homie"

Everyone is getting lost on these other tangents, like telling homie that he needs to update his OS and that it isn't Facebook's fault (???) or something

VR at this point is still a pain in the rear end to get everything working half the time. When someone rolls in with an 11 year old unsupported operating system and can't get poo poo working it's sorta easy to jump on them as I have cutting edge poo poo and still can't get everything loving working! :shepicide:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

forest spirit posted:

SteamVR no longer supports mac, wheres your outage?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Nuts and Gum posted:

I’d love to! But apparently the two cameras built into the product are experimental and don’t work even after I built a new computer.

I can't believe Valve bricked your Index

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Facebook loving sucks is the end result, glad we can all agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

if "unbricking" exists, outside of a manufacturer refurb facility, then your device is not "bricked".

Eh, that's way too strict, especially when third party component replacement is a thing. There's very little worth fixing that couldn't be fixed outside of a manufacturer facility.

I'm OK with calling something "bricked" if it can't be made usable without specialized hardware. A motherboard where a BIOS flash goes wrong has been bricked in my book even though it's almost always possible to remove the firmware chip (some boards even put it in a socket) and reflash it externally. I also like "softbrick" for situations where recovery via a standard interface like USB or ethernet is possible but requires special software.

That said this isn't a brick by any definition. The device still works fine, it just lost support for an OS you should not be using as a general purpose gaming machine. As noted, if you can't avoid having an unsupported EoL OS around you want to use it in an isolated configuration for as little as you possibly can.