Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pierson posted:

I'm thinking about a kart-racing game and I'm trying to decide between Crash Team Racing and Mario Kart 8. I played CTR way back on the PS1 and it had a ton of single-player content with a story-mode based around unlocking maps and challenges via collectables and hub-worlds. My understanding of MK8 is that it isn't so much about that and it mainly just a ton of content with tons of Nintendo polish. Is that about right?

The Switch CTR loading times are abominable FWIW but yeah there's a lot more single player content in there, MK8 is entirely about the multiplayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mega64 posted:

You could make a RE4 thread in Retro Games, Imp Zone, or even GBS. Hell, you could probably make one here and be fine, though it'd probably get buried quickly compared to the other forums.

:justpost:

I would absolutely do a full on write up of RE4 if I wasn't phone posting all the time. Plus, that game deserves a fantastic OP and I don't think I have the time to really make something worthwhile.

I'd contribute the hell out of a thread if one ends up being made, though.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

No one told me Hades was d-pad compatible! This just made it the best thing I've bought in ages. I just started my first run and I can tell I'm going to love this game.

So just to be clear All the Attacks, Whether normal, special, cast, or dodge have no cooldowns or meters attached to them? I can just spam them?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

No one told me Hades was d-pad compatible! This just made it the best thing I've bought in ages. I just started my first run and I can tell I'm going to love this game.

So just to be clear All the Attacks, Whether normal, special, cast, or dodge have no cooldowns or meters attached to them? I can just spam them?

Cast will either have cooldown or ammo and some specials on special weapons later in the game will have cooldowns, but broadly yes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Downloaded and played Fez at the thread's recommendation

I really enjoyed it. Seemingly very short but clever and more than a little head scratching

I beat it by accident with nowhere near everything done. Not sure whats different in NG+ but that trippy ending alone was worth the price of admission
There's one big thing that is different in NG+ but they don't tell you about it. However, just beating Fez with some number of regular rear end cubes is barely scratching the surface, there is so much more lurking underneath, there's an incredible journey to go on

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

There's one big thing that is different in NG+ but they don't tell you about it. However, just beating Fez with some number of regular rear end cubes is barely scratching the surface, there is so much more lurking underneath, there's an incredible journey to go on

I think I had 8 anticubes and one artifact

I really like the dimensional language and sort of flatland stuff

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used any battery packs/cases/attachments?

Amazon has this one and while I love the idea of more portable time because that’s mostly how I play, I also really like my Satisfye grip.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man I remember pikmin 3 on the WiiU being way harder

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Len posted:

Man I remember pikmin 3 on the WiiU being way harder

I think Hard mode on Switch is the Wii U difficulty. So if you're on Normal it's actually easier than the Wii U version.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Postman posted:

I think Hard mode on Switch is the Wii U difficulty. So if you're on Normal it's actually easier than the Wii U version.

That explains a lot. I'm not complaining because every dead pikmin is a mark of shame

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

multijoe posted:

CTR.. but yeah there's a lot more single player content in there, MK8 is entirely about the multiplayer

Really? IIRC, MK8 has 40 tracks. CTR has that much content?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LuckyCat posted:

Amazon has this one and while I love the idea of more portable time because that’s mostly how I play, I also really like my Satisfye grip.

Isn't the Switch already heavy enough without adding that?

Just do what the OG gameboy did, and use a separate battery pack; like that 26800mah Anker that's been recommended before.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Really? IIRC, MK8 has 40 tracks. CTR has that much content?

No, they're asking about single player content and CTR has an extensive campaign with bonus objectives and unlockables whereas IIRC Mario Kart 8 doesn't have much other than being able to do the cups single player

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

multijoe posted:

No, they're asking about single player content and CTR has an extensive campaign with bonus objectives and unlockables whereas IIRC Mario Kart 8 doesn't have much other than being able to do the cups single player

I guess I am confused then. I always thought the number of tracks was the standard for content.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I guess I am confused then. I always thought the number of tracks was the standard for content.

CTR has a structured campaign with overworld exploration, boss fights and time trial challenges, MK8 pretty much just has the option to play the multiplayer content solo. If you just want to play it single player you're probably going to get more out out of the former than the latter even if MK8 does have more tracks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

There’s no such thing as a standard for content but IMO I’d rather play a single player racing game with a campaign than one with just a selection of tracks.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ridge Racer Type 4 still the best campaign, baby!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

multijoe posted:

MK8 pretty much just has the option to play the multiplayer content solo.

You have this backwards. MK8 has the option to play the solo content multiplayer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The hardest pill to swallow in video gaming is when you play the single player mk8 content and then decide that you’re good enough to take your skills online

:stonk:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

Ridge Racer Type 4 still the best campaign, baby!

This

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The hardest pill to swallow in video gaming is when you play the single player mk8 content and then decide that you’re good enough to take your skills online

I find that as long as my online score keeps going up, I'm fine with not getting first.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Nah, mario kart ds had an extensive single player mission mode that was one of the funnest things ever, in comparison, mario kart 8 is lackluster.

But only by that standard, in like, every other way its better. Well okay, one other problem is no waluigi pinball, the best track ever made

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Me and every online game ever.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
fwiw, CTR has 32 tracks (it included PS1 tracks and the PS2 sequel's tracks as well), plus 12 arena tracks for various timed collection challenges and multiplayer. I think it's harder than MK8 to finish the hardest stuff the game has to offer.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I didn’t really notice a difference :smuggo:

mandatory lesbian posted:

Nah, mario kart ds had an extensive single player mission mode that was one of the funnest things ever, in comparison, mario kart 8 is lackluster.

But only by that standard, in like, every other way its better. Well okay, one other problem is no waluigi pinball, the best track ever made

At least the music survives with Wario Stadium in MK8

Electromax posted:

fwiw, CTR has 32 tracks (it included PS1 tracks and the PS2 sequel's tracks as well), plus 12 arena tracks for various timed collection challenges and multiplayer. I think it's harder than MK8 to finish the hardest stuff the game has to offer.

I believe it’s 39 tracks after the (free) DLC.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

Just do what the OG gameboy did, and use a separate battery pack; like that 26800mah Anker that's been recommended before.

Yeah, it’s just I had one on the 3DS and it was so dang convenient. Mainly just having to charge 1 thing instead of 2 things but I hadn’t thought of the weight. Switch + Satisfye is light enough for me to hold for hours.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Scrap Dragon posted:

I didn’t really notice a difference :smuggo:

Didnt get first much in the single player either, huh?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

LuckyCat posted:

I had my eye on something similar, but it is not compatible with my Hori joycons. The Hori joycons, as much as I like them, have these weird little... well, they look like shoulder blades. I don't know what they are for, but they make it basically impossible to attach any sort of battery to the Switch in handheld mode.

Mister Facetious posted:

There's a 10,000 mah one with a clip especially for the Switch, but I already have a bigger battery and I have a feeling that this would be too heavy.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I agree, Mario Kart 8 needed silver coin challenges.

And that drat octopus.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

What are the odds the new twewy ends up on PC?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

fit em all up in there posted:

It's already confirmed for PC later this year

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

fit em all up in there posted:

already confirmed to be happening, but it'll be an epic store exclusive like KH is

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I have almost $12 in gold coins, someone talk me out of dropping it on xcom 2

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Bloop posted:

Downloaded and played Fez at the thread's recommendation

I really enjoyed it. Seemingly very short but clever and more than a little head scratching

I beat it by accident with nowhere near everything done. Not sure whats different in NG+ but that trippy ending alone was worth the price of admission

It’s been years since I played through fez. Think I’ve forgotten enough now to fire it up again.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Any first time Fez goons collaborating with each other?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Len posted:

I have almost $12 in gold coins, someone talk me out of dropping it on xcom 2

If you haven't played xcom 2 before and like tactical games I 100% recommend you buy it

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I got my ShadowCast today and there is some lag. Not anything super noticeable, really, but I did notice it mostly because I expected there to be none, if that makes sense.

It also made me realize how much my setup has changed since I originally bought this thing. I moved from a single monitor to dual monitor, so making the game fullscreen in the app on one screens gives me the exact same experience as switching to HDMI 1 on one of the monitors.

Anyway, the thing is cool. It works exactly as it should. I imagine if you want to stream with this thing, you might want to cop one of those HDMI splitters on Amazon for cheap, though. Then just play the game on one screen, maybe monitor the Genki Arcade app in the other.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Huh, I had no idea Crash Team Racing had an overworld. That's neat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

If you haven't played xcom 2 before and like tactical games I 100% recommend you buy it

I have the base game for pc but it doesn't run well on my frankenshit machine. But I dug the poo poo out of the first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wow had no idea how bad my Joycon sticks had gotten until I tried a monster hunt in handheld. Usually only doing like Picross or Gnosia, otherwise it's the Pro controller.