Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Assassin's Creed Odyssey does the same thing. Additionally, the quest log will give the exact distance of how far away a quest is, but with zero additional context like say, a compass direction. There was always this really obvious friction between how the information was presented on the map screen, the quest screen, and the in-game HUD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Satisfactory there are crash sites that will contain a hard drive that gives you alternate recipes. You can upgrade your scanner to detect crash sites, but even after you get the hard drive the scanner will still ping that crash site.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Sunless Sea: the game really desperately needs a fast-forward option when you're backtracking through previously explored waters. Early on you're exploring everywhere to discover where all the ports are and meet all the characters on each island etc etc. Once you've discovered where the important ports are and you're trying to advance the various quests, you'll often just want to beeline to your destination instead of stopping to investigate each new island on the way (since you've been to all of them already). So traveling across the sea boils down to "point the ship in the right way, all power to engines, then take your hands off the keyboard for 10 minutes". Even with the highest-level engine buyable from shops, it still feels too slow.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Days Gone needs an auto-loot function like TLoU2. So many little bits of garbage to loot by holding down square.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Seeing my total dead pikmin number go up

I'm sorry little guys, I've let you down

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I fought Lingering Will in Kingdom Hearts 2 today. It cemented my decision to never play a kingdom hearts game again as long as I live. Of all the things I hate about it, my least favorites are that A. there's straight up no visual tell when it is and isn't invincible, and it's invincible for 99% of the boss fight, but vulnerable in like half second bursts after specific attacks when it choses not to just immediately and instantly combo into other attacks, or if you manage to guard/reflect certain attacks - if it choses not to immediately just combo into another attack instead. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to anything it did. B. The fact that it could lock off your commands, requiring you to damage it with either magic or physical attacks depending on what got locked, causing issues with the previous problem where he'd lock off magic and items (meaning you can't heal) then spend upwards of a minute just spamming a very long invincible super move where he teleports around, often times on top of or in front of you, to do near unavoidable damage that you now have no way to recover from. C. almost all of his attacks seemed to exist to do nothing but launch you into the air and throw you across the battlefield while he could teleport to, and away from, you at will. Given his very short vulnerabilities; if you weren't immediately next to him when he was vulnerable then you just flat out wouldn't get to do damage to him.

I was able to beat every other one of the optional hard bosses without too much difficulty, some of them were even a lot of fun barring the like three that relied heavily on rng to decide whether you won or not. But this boss is just awful, and I gave up and uninstalled the game after he did the same attack (a series of dashing attacks in the air that you can't really stop, guard against, or counter in any really viable way) for like five minutes in a row non-stop without ever actually touching the ground. After the like tenth time he did the attack, I managed to slip out of it and just stood there watching him dart about without stopping. It sucked and I wasn't having fun anymore, and given how hard people go to bat for this game, and this fight, it's really killed what nostalgia I had for this series. I loved it when I was like thirteen but I think I just had really, really low standards.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuebot posted:

So I fought Lingering Will in Kingdom Hearts 2 today. It cemented my decision to never play a kingdom hearts game again as long as I live. Of all the things I hate about it, my least favorites are that A. there's straight up no visual tell when it is and isn't invincible, and it's invincible for 99% of the boss fight, but vulnerable in like half second bursts after specific attacks when it choses not to just immediately and instantly combo into other attacks, or if you manage to guard/reflect certain attacks - if it choses not to immediately just combo into another attack instead. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to anything it did.

lingering will's gimmick is that he becomes vulnerable after you no-hit a certain number of his attacks, and both that number and the attacks' complexity increase as his health drops. to my knowledge this information isn't provided anywhere in-game and some of his attacks are so much nastier than the others (like the command-lock one) that a big part of the fight still comes down to luck

KH3's boss DLC is basically "lingering will, but moreso, and fourteen more times"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

lingering will's gimmick is that he becomes vulnerable after you no-hit a certain number of his attacks, and both that number and the attacks' complexity increase as his health drops. to my knowledge this information isn't provided anywhere in-game and some of his attacks are so much nastier than the others (like the command-lock one) that a big part of the fight still comes down to luck

KH3's boss DLC is basically "lingering will, but moreso, and fourteen more times"

Yeah like I'd hit him and sometimes I'd get that empty wub effect you get when you hit something that has no effect. Other times I'd get the sparky ping when you hit something that has no effect. Neither of which has ever really indicated, in game, that you're supposed to keep attacking. And since there was no visible tell that anything mattered it just made the fight frustrating since there was no feedback I was doing anything right. Then any time I felt like I made progress he'd teleport on top of me, lock my commands, then turn invincible and fly around until I died.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Yeah like I'd hit him and sometimes I'd get that empty wub effect you get when you hit something that has no effect. Other times I'd get the sparky ping when you hit something that has no effect. Neither of which has ever really indicated, in game, that you're supposed to keep attacking. And since there was no visible tell that anything mattered it just made the fight frustrating since there was no feedback I was doing anything right. Then any time I felt like I made progress he'd teleport on top of me, lock my commands, then turn invincible and fly around until I died.

pretty much, he's untouchable as a Ninja Gaiden boss until you perfectly dodge [x] combos from him. and this is not well-communicated even in youtube videos! there should have been a moogle stationed outside the arena going "hey, kupo, what you need to do is ninja around this guy's moves until he stops for breath and then hit him with so many Thundaga spells that his nose hairs could power hollow bastion"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yeah I gave up on it because I flat out wasn't having fun. Which is amazing because as much as I hated the Zexion fight, there was still something there and I kept wanting to power through to beat it. With this, it was just such a clusterfuck of everything I didn't like about the game's combat that I gave up rather than struggle against it fruitlessly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nuebot posted:

So I fought Lingering Will in Kingdom Hearts 2 today. It cemented my decision to never play a kingdom hearts game again as long as I live. Of all the things I hate about it, my least favorites are that A. there's straight up no visual tell when it is and isn't invincible, and it's invincible for 99% of the boss fight, but vulnerable in like half second bursts after specific attacks when it choses not to just immediately and instantly combo into other attacks, or if you manage to guard/reflect certain attacks - if it choses not to immediately just combo into another attack instead. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to anything it did. B. The fact that it could lock off your commands, requiring you to damage it with either magic or physical attacks depending on what got locked, causing issues with the previous problem where he'd lock off magic and items (meaning you can't heal) then spend upwards of a minute just spamming a very long invincible super move where he teleports around, often times on top of or in front of you, to do near unavoidable damage that you now have no way to recover from. C. almost all of his attacks seemed to exist to do nothing but launch you into the air and throw you across the battlefield while he could teleport to, and away from, you at will. Given his very short vulnerabilities; if you weren't immediately next to him when he was vulnerable then you just flat out wouldn't get to do damage to him.

I was able to beat every other one of the optional hard bosses without too much difficulty, some of them were even a lot of fun barring the like three that relied heavily on rng to decide whether you won or not. But this boss is just awful, and I gave up and uninstalled the game after he did the same attack (a series of dashing attacks in the air that you can't really stop, guard against, or counter in any really viable way) for like five minutes in a row non-stop without ever actually touching the ground. After the like tenth time he did the attack, I managed to slip out of it and just stood there watching him dart about without stopping. It sucked and I wasn't having fun anymore, and given how hard people go to bat for this game, and this fight, it's really killed what nostalgia I had for this series. I loved it when I was like thirteen but I think I just had really, really low standards.

Even the No Damage strategies are all RNG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0XKg0L8hck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLbVH4_fw1E

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I’ve been playing State of Decay 2 and it’s just too easy to screw up in that game by misclicking. Like I’ll be talking to an NPC and the Trade With option is right next yo the Threaten option, which permanently makes the NPC and his friends hostile, erasing all the friendship you built up with them. There’s no Are You Sure? dialog, one misclick and oop, they all hate you and you need to run or kill them all.

There’s also no aiming preview or crosshair on grenades, I just got my best survivor killed trying (and failing) to throw a grenade through a doorway, with the grenade bouncing back onto me and blowing me up.

There’s also the constant issue of the Y button doing all non-combat interactions, so I’ll accidentally get into a car instead of refueling it, or start speaking to someone instead of picking up the item right next to them.

I do really like the basic gameplay and experience, but I just wish the game was a bit more user friendly for people like me who are a bit clumsy with a controller sometimes. :(

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Every Fallout 4 enemy is such a bullet sponge. The game also loves to lock you up with enemies above your level without warning after forcing you to waste bullets on lesser enemies.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Alhazred posted:

Every Fallout 4 enemy is such a bullet sponge. The game also loves to lock you up with enemies above your level without warning after forcing you to waste bullets on lesser enemies.

Such a weird choice on Bethesda's part to make every encounter feel like you're killing people with a super soaker. All it would take is a universal buff to damage and you wouldn't have to awkwardly headshot every naked, malnourished raider four times with a 12 gauge just to put them down.

Also love that switching your gun to automatic fire doesn't just let you accept the trade off of lower accuracy and higher ammo use, it also nerfs your damage. So many weird choices that make combat feel drawn out and terrible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Riatsala posted:

Such a weird choice on Bethesda's part to make every encounter feel like you're killing people with a super soaker. All it would take is a universal buff to damage and you wouldn't have to awkwardly headshot every naked, malnourished raider four times with a 12 gauge just to put them down.

Also love that switching your gun to automatic fire doesn't just let you accept the trade off of lower accuracy and higher ammo use, it also nerfs your damage. So many weird choices that make combat feel drawn out and terrible.

The first two Fallouts (and tactics!) had rare insta-kill crits (that you could build to be less rare) and those would do so much to get rid of the Bethesda bullet sponge combat.

But it’s annoying since in FO3/4 nothing really feels powerful. NV going back to damage threshold instead of everything having straight damage reduction percents at least did a lot for this. If you hit someone in heavy armor with a big fuckoff gun (bonus points for AP ammo) they’d drop pretty fast and it would feel like you were actually using a big fuckoff gun.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's also so weird that no one in the Fallout universe know how to open a door. Instead they have evolved the ability to phase through it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That also applies to Skyrim, where the close combat never feels like it improves over the course of playing. You're always whacking guys over the head with what is basically a kayak paddle. The shield bash, power attack, block rock paper scissors game is shallow as a puddle and it's just drat boring.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The thing with Skyrim and Fallout 4 is that building your character right does impart scaling faster than the rest of the game - the last dozen+ hours of my Skyrim playthrough involved me one-shotting most stuff in melee, for instance. But more damage is really the only power vector that exists. The melee combat never got more involved or complex, I just won at it faster.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Even with Skyrim's magic system, you run out of mana ridiculously quickly casting the higher tier spells.. until you grind enchanting enough to get full -cost enchants, at which point you can machinegun fire forever.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Magic damage doesnt even scale, it can only be augmented, which makes it much than hitting a dude with an axe.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Alhazred posted:

It's also so weird that no one in the Fallout universe know how to open a door. Instead they have evolved the ability to phase through it.

FEV does wild poo poo, man

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Magic damage doesnt even scale, it can only be augmented, which makes it much than hitting a dude with an axe.

Yeah, vanilla skyrim gives mages a weird sawtooth power curve, where you spike up when you can use the new tier of spells, then start falling behind as your damage stays the same but enemies get stronger, then spike again at the next tier. But eventually you run out of new tiers.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Also it's just boring as poo poo.
There were so few options for offensive spells in that game, and most of the time the three different elemental skills at each tier are just reskins of each other.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I’ve never played it but everything about Kingdom Hearts seems way to obtuse and confusing for a video game set in a bunch of Disney settings. Shouldn’t it basically be Paper Mario? Who the hell are any of these people? It’s very confusing.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I’ve never played it but everything about Kingdom Hearts seems way to obtuse and confusing for a video game set in a bunch of Disney settings. Shouldn’t it basically be Paper Mario? Who the hell are any of these people? It’s very confusing.

I have a video for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwEwxKkCGJE

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Any Kingdom Hearts summary that leaves out Xenoxax is already out of date.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The first two Fallouts (and tactics!) had rare insta-kill crits (that you could build to be less rare) and those would do so much to get rid of the Bethesda bullet sponge combat.

But it’s annoying since in FO3/4 nothing really feels powerful. NV going back to damage threshold instead of everything having straight damage reduction percents at least did a lot for this. If you hit someone in heavy armor with a big fuckoff gun (bonus points for AP ammo) they’d drop pretty fast and it would feel like you were actually using a big fuckoff gun.

On the other hand if you were using a low damage per bullet automatic weapon and then some heavily armored legion assassins show up...

It's part of why sniper rifles were so frequently used. You just needed a really high damage per bullet weapon to kill armored enemies. Combine that with stealth + ranged weapons being a strong combo in open world games to begin with and it's no wonder everyone was a sniper.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Apr 19, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

When I first played Horizon Zero Dawn, I liked its simple approach to climbing mountains and terrain - if it's not terrain you can walk on, you climb up using specific outlined handholds. It's not sitting so well after a few hundred hours of AssCreed/BotW/etc. Too many times where it's unclear if you're supposed to get to the top of a mountain by methodically finding small rocks to hop from, or if you're just in the totally wrong place and there's a defined path somewhere else. I'd rather have a more general climbing ability, I think you could even do it without a stamina system with this game's setup.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I tried to play Kingdom Hearts when they added them all to game pass but there's Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX, and Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue and I just kind of gave up

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Oh, now I get it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Paper Mario fans are still mad it isn't more like Kingdom Hearts like that anymore.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Hygiene posted:

When I first played Horizon Zero Dawn, I liked its simple approach to climbing mountains and terrain - if it's not terrain you can walk on, you climb up using specific outlined handholds. It's not sitting so well after a few hundred hours of AssCreed/BotW/etc. Too many times where it's unclear if you're supposed to get to the top of a mountain by methodically finding small rocks to hop from, or if you're just in the totally wrong place and there's a defined path somewhere else. I'd rather have a more general climbing ability, I think you could even do it without a stamina system with this game's setup.

Have to agree with this.

After playing Odyssey and everything being climbable, going HZD it felt awkward to just run around hills trying to figure out the one way the game devs wanted me to climb.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

click here to understand more about this garbage than you will ever need or want to

None of the important questions are ever explained, just obfuscated by more questions as they try to distract the players more and more from the basic fact that nothing makes sense.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The hunt for Kellogg in Fallout 4: Every time you pick up his trail there's a new enemy (including a mutant bear). So even though there's ammo along the way you're completely drained when you arrive at his place. Then you have to fight synths and turrets before you finally meet him. And of course he has two synth bodyguard, cloaking device, heavy armor and a gun that can kill you in two hits. I found the weapon room and a fatman, thinking that a mini nuke would surely do some damage. It barely slowed him down.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Sunless Sea: the game really desperately needs a fast-forward option when you're backtracking through previously explored waters. Early on you're exploring everywhere to discover where all the ports are and meet all the characters on each island etc etc. Once you've discovered where the important ports are and you're trying to advance the various quests, you'll often just want to beeline to your destination instead of stopping to investigate each new island on the way (since you've been to all of them already). So traveling across the sea boils down to "point the ship in the right way, all power to engines, then take your hands off the keyboard for 10 minutes". Even with the highest-level engine buyable from shops, it still feels too slow.

I really like this game but I totally recommend that you bump up boat speed by like half in the .ini file, really takes the tedium out of zailing the zee for the 60th time.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Omfg. In Days Gone who the hell thought making you find the bunkers in enemy camps was a good idea. Finding a camouflaged manhole in city block size camp is the opposite of fun. I would've dropped the game if youtube guides didn't exist. gently caress the developer who said people should have bought this game for full price at launch if they wanted a sequel.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Feeling this hard right now. Trying to get to a Pigment collectible at the top of a mountain and i swear i spent 20 minutes circling the base looking for a route up. I found a couple but they just kept taking me to the other side of the mountain. Had to YouTube that one... the solution was far from obvious.

What is really hurting it for me is that I just came off of Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. imo the climbing mechanics are way smoother... I mean... Horizon's animations feel more fluid, but I was never confused as to where to go in Tomb Raider. Also Lara has a bunch of auto-mantel animations to quickly catch and climb over things. Aloy doesn't... so you can't scramble up chest high ledges? you have to make sure you are jumping height to get up and it's slippery as all hell.

also i've been super impressed with so many other things that this really sticks out. still, consider Guerrilla's output before this game was... well, all the Killzones and Shellshock Nam 67, it's still a drat impressive open world game.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Satisfactory sure needs more enemy types. It has four and none of them are interesting.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Alhazred posted:

The hunt for Kellogg in Fallout 4: Every time you pick up his trail there's a new enemy (including a mutant bear). So even though there's ammo along the way you're completely drained when you arrive at his place. Then you have to fight synths and turrets before you finally meet him. And of course he has two synth bodyguard, cloaking device, heavy armor and a gun that can kill you in two hits. I found the weapon room and a fatman, thinking that a mini nuke would surely do some damage. It barely slowed him down.

If you did the Brotherhood quest, you can refill your ammo for that weapon from the synths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Byzantine posted:

If you did the Brotherhood quest, you can refill your ammo for that weapon from the synths.

From what I remember the synths didn't drop that much ammo.