Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Perez and Tsunoda need to avoid having more races like that one though. Both threw away points finishes.

Also, remember when some people, not naming names, said that the Renault was better than the Honda and Alpine would be frontrunners with Alonso? I invite you to explain this reasoning to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Tsunoda had another swearing fit in the practice session, he’s feisty

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
He's fast, just needs to reign it in. Also had a fantastic start.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Let me be the first to say

Tspinoda

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
still cant believe bottas weekend, gently caress me that was bad

there is no way in hell mercedes wins the wcc

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This was the first race I've watched in full and it didn't disappoint. Very happy to see that our Lewis managed to fight back after that mistake and also get fastest lap.

Even happier to see that Mazespin spun.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

Let me be the first to say

Tspinoda

And hopefully the last

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Did I miss anything

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Not the wall.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm laughing so hard at this

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

F1 fantasy is so buggy that I’m currently first in our league

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Max is gonna win the championship this year.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

marshalljim posted:

Max is gonna win the championship this year.

moooooooooooooooooooooodddddddddddsssss?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Confirmed excellent Drivers

Mad Max
Lewis (what a great drive)
Lando

Confirmed Frauds
Bottas - He's just bad
Mazebin - By the end of the season he will give birth to a thousand memes
Perez - Just another #2 Red Bull driver to get chewed up and spit out
Alonso - Should have stayed retired

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I'm laughing so hard at this

I hope DNF stands for Do Not Fund and they're going to stop paying Bottas to fight with backmarker teams

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cheko is going to both suffer from the second RBR car curse and deliver when he needs to.

:smith: This season is going to hurt.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Zedd posted:

Cheko is going to both suffer from the second RBR car curse and deliver when he needs to.

:smith: This season is going to hurt.

hes a poo poo midfield driver, OP

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Frond posted:

Perez and Tsunoda need to avoid having more races like that one though. Both threw away points finishes.

Also, remember when some people, not naming names, said that the Renault was better than the Honda and Alpine would be frontrunners with Alonso? I invite you to explain this reasoning to me.

I know that I said that last season the Renault was potentially a better engine than the Honda, based on McLaren and Renault's performances vs Alpha Tauri in the midfield. Honda brought a big upgrade for this season and it seems to have delivered as expected. It seemed clear from testing that Alpine were managing expectations and talking about their target being 2022 when they have their own upgrade package scheduled.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can someone explain Hamilton's wall-meet? Why did he accelerate into the wall after almost stopping? Did he misjudge how wet the grass was or something?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Can someone explain Hamilton's wall-meet? Why did he accelerate into the wall after almost stopping? Did he misjudge how wet the grass was or something?

wanted to prove a point that the best drivers don't let a measly wall ruin their race.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I fell asleep at about lap 20

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Asston Sharting

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rhopunzel posted:

hes a poo poo midfield driver, OP

Exactly, so he should do better in the unstable fast shitbox that is the RBR.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Fell asleep around lap 34 or so (I think) with the red flag for the crash. Worth finishing it?

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Fell asleep around lap 34 or so (I think) with the red flag for the crash. Worth finishing it?

Yes!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i had the thought, so i already made the curse real, might as well share it here

what if this race was the peak of the season? :negative:

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Phone posted:

i had the thought, so i already made the curse real, might as well share it here

what if this race was the peak of the season? :negative:

It usually peaks within the first few races

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You nearly missed the wall, but then you realised you could just literally drive right into it instead.
https://giant.gfycat.com/SnivelingScholarlyBobolink.mp4

simble
May 11, 2004

He really max'd that wall.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

He's seen Max hit the walls before and just had to try it to see what it's like, decided it is not for him and drove back to 2nd. #blessed

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

spaceblancmange posted:

He's seen Max hit the walls before and just had to try it to see what it's like, decided it is not for him and drove back to 2nd. #blessed

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I really hope 2021 can keep the hype up because both races so far have been great.

Absolutely same, I have never laughed so hard at an F1 as I have at this one. Truly a loving gift to us after a terrible year. Sir Jammy loving Hamilton binning it and then getting gifted back a lap and fighting back to 2nd via a red-flagged race courtesy of teammate Binman Bottas trying to muscle out his replacementcompetition, you couldn't make that poo poo up no one would believe you. The start was wonderful, the spins were glorious, the only downer for me was Are Dan having to give way to Are Lando and the tragedy of Perez's race. Even Mazespin did not disappoint. I've been ill from my flu shot but I'm feeling a lot better after that.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I'm fine with Are Dan giving way. Good lads on a good team and Dan was slow as poo poo. They both know they've got to maximise every opportunity they get this year if they want to beat the scud and that move early was the difference between Norris holding 3rd and coming in 5th. Can you imagine Leclerc giving way to Sainz in the same situation? At the very least with Ricciardo it would be 100x sadder if he was in that Alpine, christ that car is trash.

Race ruled. I've got to hand it to him, Mazepins comedy timing is on loving point. The very moment that the race had settled down for the last few non-eventful laps he decided to bin it. A lovely cherry on top of a cool and good Sunday.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Good job on Gasly for finishing as high as he did, I don't know what the gently caress AT were thinking keeping him on wets through the safety car. Even when he's not in the main team Red Bull can't help but try and screw him over.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I think it's funny that seb retired and still finished above the haasbros
I also think it's funny that Lewis didn't hit the wall but then decided to anyway

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

masterpine posted:

I'm fine with Are Dan giving way. Good lads on a good team and Dan was slow as poo poo. They both know they've got to maximise every opportunity they get this year if they want to beat the scud and that move early was the difference between Norris holding 3rd and coming in 5th. Can you imagine Leclerc giving way to Sainz in the same situation? At the very least with Ricciardo it would be 100x sadder if he was in that Alpine, christ that car is trash.

Yeah, the way Lando opened the gap right up after he was past Ricciardo really demonstrated immediately that they’d made the right move. Maybe if Ricciardo had hung with the Ferraris better you could argue that he should’ve been given a go at it, but I think it ultimately wound up pretty conclusive.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Looked like he gambled he could turn left and have enough clearance to get back on the track without needing to reverse.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Fraudulent British media with some revisionist views on the incident involving are george
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/56793494

Benson posted:

The Briton went for the outside approaching the Tamburello chicane. But as Bottas edged slightly to his right to defend, the Williams caught the damp part of the track and spun.

Russell's car collided with Bottas and the incident littered the track with debris, bringing the race to a temporary halt.

Russell went over to Bottas and remonstrated with him while he was still sitting in the car. The Finn replied with a middle finger salute, after which Russell brushed his helmet with his hand.

Nice that the new track limits rules mean the literal grass can be interpreted as "the damp part of the track" and smacking someone in the head is "brushing their helmet"

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Rinkles posted:

It's gravel rather than grass. I think his main concern was not getting stuck in it (which tends to happen once your car stops in it) so he wanted to drive on to the paved strip in one smooth attempt but underestimated his turning circle. In the end, because the gravel was wet he was able to reverse over it without just becoming beached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

ilmucche posted:

Fraudulent British media with some revisionist views on the incident involving are george
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/56793494

Nice that the new track limits rules mean the literal grass can be interpreted as "the damp part of the track" and smacking someone in the head is "brushing their helmet"

History is written by the victors :britain: