Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hard-drive-ssd-shortages-imminent-if-new-cryptocurrency-blooms

they should just cut out the middle-man entirely and make a power supply-based cryptocurrency

love the implication that you should take bitcoin seriously even if someone is willing to pay $62k for one. buddy i'll never take it seriously no matter the price because it's objectively an idiotic system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i don't know if i'm just noticing it more or if it is happening more, but there's a lot of anti-china propaganda lately. i feel like every day i read some story about how china or their government is bad and a lot of them are just weird. like there was a sob story about these poor chinese villagers who were getting kicked out of their houses by the chinese government and how a few were valiantly fighting back to preserve their homes, but if you read a little further they were rich people who had illegally built or bought giant homes in a nature preserve. it was even in the article, but it was sort of a footnote, it struck me as super weird. makes sense if the oligarchs in the smoky room are eying up a war with china though

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hard-drive-ssd-shortages-imminent-if-new-cryptocurrency-blooms

they should just cut out the middle-man entirely and make a power supply-based cryptocurrency

Mine coins with your peloton. Produce watts to mine the coin.

Actually.....

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stereotype posted:

i don't know if i'm just noticing it more or if it is happening more, but there's a lot of anti-china propaganda lately. i feel like every day i read some story about how china or their government is bad and a lot of them are just weird. like there was a sob story about these poor chinese villagers who were getting kicked out of their houses by the chinese government and how a few were valiantly fighting back to preserve their homes, but if you read a little further they were rich people who had illegally built or bought giant homes in a nature preserve. it was even in the article, but it was sort of a footnote, it struck me as super weird. makes sense if the oligarchs in the smoky room are eying up a war with china though

I was reviewing the CSPAM China thread yesterday and even as early as November 2019 there was already a push for "genocide in Xinjiang" to be the next hot topic, as it was interspersed with the then-on-going protests in Hong Kong.

The US always had this illusion that the Deng-era liberalization of the economy would cause the PRC to just fold into the post-Cold War world order as a good little boy scout: a source of cheap labor, and eventually a big consumer market for American (and to a lesser extent, Japanese) goods.

Since that didn't happen, AND since China did not undergo the slow decline that the USSR did, the gears have shifted towards antagonism, and it's only getting worse as China gets stronger and the US gets weaker.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

gradenko_2000 posted:

The miners are way ahead of you there friend. Post courtesy of the climate change thread:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
There is no doubt some amazing dystopian sci-fi to be written about a future where 100% of humanity's computing and storage capacity is devoted to crypto. What if the Matrix was really the machines using the energy generated from human beings to power their own massive crypto farms.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i like how we've got crypto bullshit using gpus and hard drives. not sure if any use cpu or ram nowadays, but i can't wait until our entire output of computer hardware goes to useless garbage mining

Vesi posted:

instead of lending money to the banks like traditional central banks and let them do what they want with it, a central bank digital currency would allow the central bank themself to issue (and revoke from) the money directly to interested parties including individuals

basically they could trace exactly how the money flows rather than having to rely on intermediate or 3rd party data like with wechat/alipay

it's just another natural extension of the surveillance state

ty

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

paperwind posted:

There is no doubt some amazing dystopian sci-fi to be written about a future where 100% of humanity's computing and storage capacity is devoted to crypto. What if the Matrix was really the machines using the energy generated from human beings to power their own massive crypto farms.

Accelerando

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

paperwind posted:

That would be a cool SF, imagine these huge factory-like complexes full of electronics doing busywork surrounded by people huddling in tent cities

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

redleader posted:

i like how we've got crypto bullshit using gpus and hard drives. not sure if any use cpu or ram nowadays, but i can't wait until our entire output of computer hardware goes to useless garbage mining

ty

my question is who the gently caress is even considering buying those storage-based coins? why would you mine them if there's no use for them, is just the mere fact that they can be mined causing people to buy them? if we've gone that far at this point then we're just hosed

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
this week tonight is relevant to this thread this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzFG0Cdh8D8

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it's real funny that late stage capitalism is so desperate to find anything that could plausibly hold value that they have decided that just burning electricity is value. you get more money from burning the coal to add a few more bits to the end of the unintelligible garbage computation than you spend on the coal and the metal wires and glass and silicon, so capitalism is going to do it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Stereotype posted:

it's real funny that late stage capitalism is so desperate to find anything that could plausibly hold value that they have decided that just burning electricity is value. you get more money from burning the coal to add a few more bits to the end of the unintelligible garbage computation than you spend on the coal and the metal wires and glass and silicon, so capitalism is going to do it.

80s cyberpunk dystopia authors had just no idea how exactly stupid the future was going to be

anyways marx wrote about this poo poo over 150 years ago

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Stereotype posted:

this week tonight is relevant to this thread this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzFG0Cdh8D8

before i went to college i was a secretary/receptionist for a law firm, this was around the GFC so business ramped way up and they were like "ok you're going to learn how to fill out chapter 13 paperwork now". that's where i started to really understand the depths of how hosed up this country's economy is, talking to person after person who lost their jobs and can't afford their homes or cars. but because they failed the means test they had to go into the more expensive version and pay part of it back anyway

the one job where a) i was glad to be laid off from when the economy improved and b) learned there are some times where you really don't want to have to use your employee discount

i distinctly remember there being hopes that they would allow "mortgage cramdowns" i.e. revaluing the amount owned on the secured home loans but of course that was crushed because the regular joe can't be allowed to get a break, only the big businesses

Shipon has issued a correction as of 09:30 on Apr 19, 2021

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

my bony fealty posted:

the concept of living in a state that's not the sole global hegemon is going to psychically damage so many Americans in a bad bad way, we are not prepared for the next couple decades at aaallllll

looks around at hourly mass shootings...

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

human garbage bag posted:

Well, KSA was told that selling oil for anything other than USD would be considered an act of war, so it's more about how hosed the USA is if KSA goes off the petro-dollar. And the answer is not much, since conquering a bunch of oil fields in the desert is about the only thing the US military is actually good at.

You can conquer them, but how are you going to keep them secure and get the oil out and to market, exactly?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

It will be the US launching nukes first after we lose our navy.

The US has already launched nukes first.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

RIP Syndrome posted:

That would be a cool SF, imagine these huge factory-like complexes full of electronics doing busywork surrounded by people huddling in tent cities

Isn't that basically just Brazil (the movie)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Stereotype posted:

Crypto, the Highest Stage of Capitalism.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
why NUMBER upset??

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

my bony fealty posted:

the concept of living in a state that's not the sole global hegemon is going to psychically damage so many Americans in a bad bad way, we are not prepared for the next couple decades at aaallllll
just look at the broke brains in the UK for a fun example of how this might look

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

RIP Syndrome posted:

How is that functionally different from a skyscraper filled with FinTech assholes surrounded by people huddling in tent cities?

Which is something I do not have to imagine.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

my bony fealty posted:

There's a theory that Spanish fascism rose out of their fall from a global superpower after the US took the last of their colonial holdings. That with no outward foe to slake their violent urges they looked for internal foes because it's all they had available.

It's not something I really want to be around for if/when that happens.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
There's a whole thing about how both Spain and Portugal had absurdly inflated aristocracies (prior to the civil war something like 10% of Spanish people were non-working nobility) and empire was a useful way of finding something for all of these useless failsons to do

When that dried up thanks to Uncle Sam you had a huge portion of the populace simultaneously being non-productive but also shooting peasants who were trying to do things like collect firewood on their land

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Ice Phisherman posted:

There's a theory that Spanish fascism rose out of their fall from a global superpower after the US took the last of their colonial holdings. That with no outward foe to slake their violent urges they looked for internal foes because it's all they had available.

It's not something I really want to be around for if/when that happens.

bad news, friend

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

MikeCrotch posted:

There's a whole thing about how both Spain and Portugal had absurdly inflated aristocracies (prior to the civil war something like 10% of Spanish people were non-working nobility) and empire was a useful way of finding something for all of these useless failsons to do

thanks to the invention of the lanyard this isn't a problem that America needs to worry about

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-new...079292/?cat=500

quote:

According to a national study, last month 42% of small business owners said they couldn’t fill positions. Some blame unemployment. Millions of Americans on unemployment are guaranteed $600 a week through the end of September, but Tracy said he wants people to know the importance of hard work and bettering the community.

Why don't people want to make less money to wipe old people's lovely asses? Laziness.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nice and hot piss posted:

Mine coins with your peloton. Produce watts to mine the coin.

Actually.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4O5voOCqAQ

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shipon posted:

i distinctly remember there being hopes that they would allow "mortgage cramdowns" i.e. revaluing the amount owned on the secured home loans but of course that was crushed because the regular joe can't be allowed to get a break, only the big businesses

lol I remember that part. The pundits almost immediately started crying about moral hazard.

Rectal Death Deft
Jan 10, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo

Testvan posted:

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-new...079292/?cat=500

Why don't people want to make less money to wipe old people's lovely asses? Laziness.

I know there is a problem filling positions in manufacturing because all of the business school graduate middle managers are terminally brain poisoned and would rather their facilities shut down and produce nothing than increase wages. COSTS. CANT. RISE. This isn't even a joke. There are some facilities idle right now because they don't have enough coverage to operate yet the middle managers refuse to pay people more than $10/hr for unskilled labor or $12/hr for experience. Temp agencies can't find people that want to work for $9/hr on 12 hour shifts or whatever other ridiculous bullshit has become entrenched in the US workplace.

This shortage is an insanely good thing that should make an entire generation of dumb rear end in a top hat managers and "owners" realize how terrible their polices are but I don't really think the lesson will be learned. Everything possible will be done to fight rising wages. I think some companies would rather declare bankruptcy than pay out 0.4% of their profit in salary increases.

I would normally say the problem is boomers that remember making $1/hr and are clogging the management of america by refusing to retire but all of the worst examples of greedy management I've encountered are middle aged gen Xers with business degrees.

Rectal Death Deft has issued a correction as of 13:51 on Apr 19, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

NUMBER RELEASE YOUR ENERGY

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Rectal Death Deft posted:

I know there is a problem filling positions in manufacturing because all of the business school graduate middle managers are terminally brain poisoned and would rather their facilities shut down and produce nothing than increase wages. COSTS. CANT. RISE. This isn't even a joke. There are some facilities idle right now because they don't have enough coverage to operate yet the middle managers refuse to pay people more than $10/hr for unskilled labor or $12/hr for experience. Temp agencies can't find people that want to work for $9/hr on 12 hour shifts or whatever other ridiculous bullshit has become entrenched in the US workplace.

This shortage is an insanely good thing that should make an entire generation of dumb rear end in a top hat managers and "owners" realize how terrible their polices are but I don't really think the lesson will be learned. Everything possible will be done to fight rising wages. I think some companies would rather declare bankruptcy than pay out 0.4% of their profit in salary increases.

I would normally say the problem is boomers that remember making $1/hr and are clogging the management of america by refusing to retire but all of the worst examples of greedy management I've encountered are middle aged gen Xers with business degrees.

Covid forcing the government to create the flimsiest UBI ever and tens of millions of Americans still find it better than our slave economy. lol there’s going to be riots if the UE benefits ever end

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Covid forcing the government to create the flimsiest UBI ever and tens of millions of Americans still find it better than our slave economy. lol there’s going to be riots if the UE benefits ever end

Lol, riots. My money's on crushing despair and indifference

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

pnumoman posted:

Lol, riots. My money's on crushing despair and indifference

“10-year old Wendy has taken to selling lemonade to finance her mother’s chemotherapy while they live inside a cardboard box”

-Every national news story in 6 months

BOOTSTRAP

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
the new development this cycle imo is the complete cowardice of regulators. Obviously this isn't a new thing, but the brazenness of companies is just at a whole new level. Union busting, anti trust, deadly self driving software (and cars that self immolate). There isn't even lip service like there used to be.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
like even 12 years ago, this toyota recall was a big deal

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%932011_Toyota_vehicle_recalls

now, we've got teslas murdering drivers at a per mile rate that's 100x higher than toyota and elon tells everyone to suck his dick

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
john ashcroft's doj went after George W Bush's personal friends and put them in the slammer, for fucks sake. We've normalized corporate fraud and bad behavior to a degree that is literally incomprehensible

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I hate this poo poo

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

oxsnard posted:

john ashcroft's doj went after George W Bush's personal friends and put them in the slammer, for fucks sake. We've normalized corporate fraud and bad behavior to a degree that is literally incomprehensible

I'm sure nothing bad will come of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

oxsnard posted:

an enduring legacy of the GFC and the democrat response to it, as far as i'm concerned. to be honest i don't think it's so much that this stuff didn't exist before, but there was at least an unspoken agreement that you were supposed to keep it under wrap and that if it made a public splash, then kayfabe had to be maintained and rules would be enforced. the GFC made it obvious that even that wasn't actually necessary