Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Is there a Sentinel Comics RPG thread anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

potatocubed posted:

Is there a Sentinel Comics RPG thread anywhere?

I don't believe so. You should make one!

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
Quick plug for what is my first, actual RPG product to be released (:toot:):

The Pried Eye is an "incursion" (or one-shot adventure) for the character-driven horror game Trophy Dark, but all the rules you need to play are included.

I describe it as a tense and eerie descent into body horror, cosmic weirdness, and ego murder focusing on the theme of communion and set in 20th-century America. It's 28 pages long with a good bit of thematic art sprinkled throughout, and if you've played Trophy Dark before, this offers a full new set of character creation options.

There are still a few free community copies available if you're interested but can't afford to spend anything on games right now, but each actual purchase adds another community copy to the supply for someone else.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Halloween Jack posted:

Wolverine: Baali

Not going for the easy Gangrel answer? I applaud the moxie, but disagree with the result.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's possible that he's actually a Nagloper.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

EverettLO posted:

Not going for the easy Gangrel answer? I applaud the moxie, but disagree with the result.

Yeah I thought it was gonna be a debate between Gangrel and Brujah. Goblin Queen would be the only demon vampire imo

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Apparently there are more clans than I was aware of, all I got was:

Occasional X-Men "member" Deadpool is obviously Malkavian

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
If you guys were ever interested in Warhammer/Warhammer 40K games for PC there is a tremendous deal if you buy the physical copy of the 462nd issue of White Dwarf for $9.

quote:

The 12 games provided as part of the promotion are: Total War: Warhammer (plus the Call of the Beastmen DLC), Warhammer: 40,000: Dawn of War, Warhammer: 40,000: Space Marine, Warhammer: 40,000: Armageddon Da Orks, Warhammer: 40,000: Sanctus Reach, Warhammer: Vermintide 2, Warhammer: 40,000: Space Wolf, Warhammer Quest, Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times, Warhammer Underworlds Online, Adeptus Titanicus: Dominus, and Talisman: Digital Edition.
The code also redeems a 75% off voucher for 4X strategy Warhammer 40,000: Gladius, and a Legendary Khorne pack for Warhammer: Chaos & Conquest, a free-to-play MMORPG/strategy hybrid.

These are all available with one Steam key.

https://www.ign.com/articles/free-warhammer-games-white-dwarf-march-2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Of course Beastmen was the last DLC I bought, to complete the set.

Unrelatedly, I've barely started reading Wanderhome and I am already deeply in love with this game that doesn't even have a megadungeon in it. If there's a secret one hidden later in the book my heart may explode, but I doubt it.

Edit: "You are fully empowered to pick up your playbook and bring them to any other journey of Wanderhome you find yourself in, fitting them right in." This is literally the old-school D&D thing of taking your character to another game and I love it.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 11, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

FFT posted:

Apparently there are more clans than I was aware of, all I got was:

Occasional X-Men "member" Deadpool is obviously Malkavian
Deadpool is a Nagaraja.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
LIFTS: Powered by Your ABpocalyse is done and selling. Next step: getting sued by Palladium Books.

https://twitter.com/ThronesBeware/status/1381656601493438464?s=20

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

My physical copies of LIFTS arrived today. It's the first time an item of mail has addressed me as "Muscle Vagabond". It will not be the last.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

DigitalRaven posted:

My physical copies of LIFTS arrived today. It's the first time an item of mail has addressed me as "Muscle Vagabond". It will not be the last.

I think the rules say you have to use that as your title on all subsequent contact forms forever.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

finally got my hardcover copy of Glitch. Very pretty book

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Len posted:

My partner loves Wingspan but it doesn't have much in the way of player interaction? It's 90% engine builder with the biggest interaction being "oh you got the bird I wanted to grab"

The expansions do add in some options to steal a resource from another player but even that doesn't set them back too much because they get to just get another to replace it.

Also ALWAYS take a crow or raven. It's been dubbed CrowTEC by our group and it's stupid OP

I love Wingspan and it's all I want from a board game but if you play with the Oceanic expansion you kind of have to remove the ravens, and in fact the rule book actually mentions doing so. That expansion adds a new food type (nectar) which is wild by default so you can use it as any other type. It's a good addition because it adds a lot of flexibility in bird choice, and that expansion comes with new game boards that have more options for resetting the feeder and bird pool too.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kalko posted:

I love Wingspan and it's all I want from a board game but if you play with the Oceanic expansion you kind of have to remove the ravens, and in fact the rule book actually mentions doing so. That expansion adds a new food type (nectar) which is wild by default so you can use it as any other type. It's a good addition because it adds a lot of flexibility in bird choice, and that expansion comes with new game boards that have more options for resetting the feeder and bird pool too.

Yeah the ravens were stupid OP with nectar. Just one egg becomes two wilds? You never use the take food action again

The first game I won was with the first expansion, I managed to get an engine going where whenever I took birds I ended up tucking some absurd number like 13 cards? One of my birds had a flock of 70

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Can anybody tell me anything about Sig: City of Blades? I dug Sig: Manual of the Primes, but I'm kind of over the relentless slew of Blades hacks. Conflicted on preordering.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Trad Games Chat: 2021:

Len posted:

Yeah the ravens were stupid OP with nectar.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

GMed for the first time in quite a while today, running Never Going Home with the Corpse Factory prewritten adventure. Had some concerns about how it'd go, but actually turned out pretty well!
  • We're well aware of the Slappy principle, so I got a... very lively party to work with, considering "1917 American Expeditionary Forces" as the shared background. West Virginia farmboy with a knack for machinery, Big loving New Englander with a soft heart (and a sharp shovel), a petty criminal that enlisted to run away, and a posh formerly-southern jackass who thought his family was buying an officer position. All this to go rescue a defector and use their intel to stop a new terror weapon (shapeshifters to infiltrate behind the front lines). It'll settle down into serious, but for now it meant a good bit of laughs.
  • It's really awkward to open with "you just did character creation, now do a character moment showing off some personality!", but it actually worked well in practice, having little couple-sentence vignettes in the characters' heads. One of the mechanics I expected to fail but that everyone pretty much aced.
  • Boy this adventure was not well structured by default at all, serious thanks to the GM advice thread for some advice on reworking it. Worked a lot better with actual leads for an investigation!
Just some quick positivity.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Big news!

:frogsiren: Wicked Ones now has a Free edition! :frogsiren:

Now you all can try it!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/354307/Wicked-Ones-Free-Edition?src=discord

quote:

FEATURES (FREE EDITION)
You can get the full game for free. Try out building your own dungeon together with some friends or use the tools the game has to improve your other games! The full game includes:

● Forged in the Dark: Built on the framework made by John Harper for Blades in the Dark, with significant changes to better represent monstery gameplay.
● Build a Dungeon: Rules for building and drawing out a dungeon together, including traps, tricks, creatures, locks, minions, and things you discover underground.
● Cycle of Play: Four phases of play (lurking, calamity, raiding, and blowback) that set the pace of dungeon life.
● Dark Hearts, Dark Impulses, and Going Feral: Game mechanics that reinforce that you’re a monster.
● Flexible Spell System: Players choose a specific path of magic or god they worship, then flexibly create spells of different power levels on the fly.
● Powerful Ritual Magic: This extends magic further, allowing the creation of very powerful magical effects, though you must fulfill some special requirements and fight off those who might seek to stop your rituals.
● Monster Science: A robust crafting system to create whatever contraptions and alchemical concoctions you can imagine.
● Safety Tools: A write-up on recommended safety tools (X-Card, Movie Ratings, Lines & Veils) to help your group with sensitive subject matters.
● Nine Monster Playbooks: Play as several different types of monsters, each of which have a lot of room for making unique characters. Play as a Brute, Conniver, Crafter, Hunter, Marauder, Shadow, Shaman, Warlock, or Zealot.
● Five Dungeon Themes: Each theme has a unique core function and list of rooms that can only be built within that dungeon, allowing your dungeon to match your group’s preferred playstyle. Build an Enclave, Forge, Hideout, Stronghold, or Temple.
● Quiet Valley Sandbox Map: A regional map to give a place to build your dungeon within and rules to set up factions on that map cooperatively with all players at the table. This group worldbuilding fosters a great sense of co-authorship and buy-in from the players.
● Primal Ability: Choose any monstrous race and represent them by building their own unique abilities.
● Easy Start: A clear session 0 / session 1 starting scenario to get your dungeon up and running while teaching all players the game mechanics.

Also this game may not be suitable for those under 13 years old. I think this references the interrogation of adventurers rules. If I could ever get a group together, I would not use those rules, just fade to black about what's going on.

Expansions to Wicked Ones to come soon!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

slap me and kiss me posted:

LIFTS: Powered by Your ABpocalyse is done and selling. Next step: getting sued by Palladium Books.

Mine were running slow, but got here over the weekend! What I get for living in the middle of nowhere.

I love this cover art.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

slap me and kiss me posted:

Owns

Helical Nightmares posted:

Big news!

:frogsiren: Wicked Ones now has a Free edition! :frogsiren:

Now you all can try it!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/354307/Wicked-Ones-Free-Edition?src=discord

Also this game may not be suitable for those under 13 years old. I think this references the interrogation of adventurers rules. If I could ever get a group together, I would not use those rules, just fade to black about what's going on.

Expansions to Wicked Ones to come soon!

This is quite cool - I've not gotten fully through but at an absolute minimum paring down the study/survey, finesse/prowl, and consort/sway distinctions is a significant pragmatic change that I like from BITD.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just finished reading Wicked Ones (I love the Crawford publication model and I want to support more people doing it, so grabbed a hardcover).

It looks fun as all get out. I am mildly... uncomfortable is probably too strong a word... that I've spent so much time thinking about racism and orcs, and how races aren't evil, etc., and then I read this book I want to play where it's like "Go be evil orcs. Do evil gobbo things."

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Being evil is fun.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mellonbread posted:

Being evil is fun.

I always wonder about its sustainability.

Like this might just come from my own history and approach but I find that being evil is a much more limited and restrained part of RP. From my own history, I think that a lot of the DnD I played in middle school fell into evil campaigns just out of edgelordism, and I found it very repetitive very quickly. The campaigns generally collapsed quite quickly because the characters didn't have a deeper motivation than 'lol cruelty.' On top of this, I find that I get more than my fill of evil from playing video games where you mow down hordes of predictable enemies (Deeprock Galactic and Warframe are my vices), or from just y'know local politics.

Even being as evil as the default expected in WOD or Blades in the Dark is generally something I find more boring than anything else. I always feel the need to both tamp down on the lethality and add a bit of an optimistic edge, some sort of political activism, to make characters and campaigns in evil settings sustainable (and to be fair, if I were to play a paladin of some sort I'd need to give them a dramatic vice to keep their internal tension up).

Anyway I could see myself playing/running a campaign of Wicked Ones with a crew that stuck to the "B-movie villain" level. The art is helpful for this for me, the clean surfaces and bright colors and fuzzy bugbears make a campy goofy level feel natural.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think being cartoonishly evil, in a cartoonish setting, can be a lot of fun, for a little while.

Roleplaying as a legit hosed up person who does terrible things to people who don't deserve it in a more viscerally real-feeling game makes me feel sick just getting close to and I've never been into it, even when I was an edgy teen. I don't even like doing it as a GM much - to the extend that I don't personally identify with my villains and tend not to get into their heads. An evil badguy I'm running exists to be defeated, and evil badguy stuff they do is there to motivate and justify the PC's actions - it's not a role I play for my personal entertainment.

I guess actors do it in TV and film all the time, but they are following a script mostly, so they're not necessarily internalizing the decision-making or responsible for the outcomes of their characters' actions.

I do not intend this post to be judgmental of any of you who do enjoy any of the above. Do you guys feel there's a way to roleplay an evil character who does bad things, in a realism-feeling game, but still be a healthy leisure-time activity? How do you feel about it afterward?

This might be a sensitive subject for some, now I think about it. Let's avoid specifics that could disturb people and speak in generalities.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

Roleplaying as a legit hosed up person who does terrible things to people who don't deserve it in a more viscerally real-feeling game makes me feel sick just getting close to and I've never been into it, even when I was an edgy teen. I don't even like doing it as a GM much - to the extend that I don't personally identify with my villains and tend not to get into their heads.
I've remarked on this elsewhere, I think, but it didn't even go that far for me in one game. I played a more "ends justify the means" sort of character in a supers game back when I was in college, and there was enough bleed from the tense argument between my character & another on the team that was being pushed well past what he signed up for because "we have to make sacrifices to get things done" that I had to step back and reexamine my own life situation and outlook, and how I was treating other people around me. I haven't had it happen since then (strongest bleed I've had from any fictional material, ever), but I recognize pretty well now that playing an awful person and playing them too well will have me hosed up for a long while, even if I'm not playing a mustache-twirling supervillain.

I try to play decent people nowadays, to say the least.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Leperflesh posted:

I think being cartoonishly evil, in a cartoonish setting, can be a lot of fun, for a little while.

Roleplaying as a legit hosed up person who does terrible things to people who don't deserve it in a more viscerally real-feeling game makes me feel sick just getting close to and I've never been into it, even when I was an edgy teen. I don't even like doing it as a GM much - to the extend that I don't personally identify with my villains and tend not to get into their heads. An evil badguy I'm running exists to be defeated, and evil badguy stuff they do is there to motivate and justify the PC's actions - it's not a role I play for my personal entertainment.

I guess actors do it in TV and film all the time, but they are following a script mostly, so they're not necessarily internalizing the decision-making or responsible for the outcomes of their characters' actions.

I do not intend this post to be judgmental of any of you who do enjoy any of the above. Do you guys feel there's a way to roleplay an evil character who does bad things, in a realism-feeling game, but still be a healthy leisure-time activity? How do you feel about it afterward?

This might be a sensitive subject for some, now I think about it. Let's avoid specifics that could disturb people and speak in generalities.

I'm really happy when I make complicated villains who are definitely broken in a real way. Sometimes my players will feel really bad for a guy right before their fight, and I just love having character being a bit surprised by something internally consistent, I'll even show them part behind the curtains and they love it, and talk about how it makes sense and makes the villain more memorable.

Most villainous campaigns I run that are successful though are normally like, "You work for Fantasy America, and you're the head honcho in getting a new colony set up," you can go really far with subterfuge, combat, and what not. Hell in most good-alligned DND games you're deposing a corrupt government or power structure, so it's just the same in reverse.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

An evil campaign where players are the only/main worshippers of $insert_deity_here in the area and establish a church is a fun longer term thing i've seen work a few times. Once its been double twist because we were (secretly) a non llothite drow house. Fun times.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Leperflesh posted:

Do you guys feel there's a way to roleplay an evil character who does bad things, in a realism-feeling game, but still be a healthy leisure-time activity?
Yes

Leperflesh posted:

How do you feel about it afterward?
Honestly pretty great. Creating the villain is one of my favorite parts of scenario design. Asking "why do people still like this guy" and "why hasn't anyone just killed him yet if he's doing all this bad stuff" is not only fun, the answers will also illuminate other aspects of the game world, the factions, etc. And it's extremely gratifying afterward to hear the players talk about how X NPC was memorable or their favorite, despite all the trouble he caused them.

You have to know when to quit, though. If you make the bad guy too likeable and sympathetic you risk accidentally stripping all the conflict out of the scenario. The players deciding "he's got a point, let's leave him be" is fun once or twice, beyond that it gets tiresome.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I could swear that, probably a couple years ago, I saw a serial-numbers-filed-off Weapons of the Gods/Legends of the Wulin game pop up. I think it had a fairly active RPGnet thread and eventually got released on DTRPG. Maybe it had "Fist" or "Fists" in the name? Whatever it was, I can't seem to find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks for any help!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

That Old Tree posted:

I could swear that, probably a couple years ago, I saw a serial-numbers-filed-off Weapons of the Gods/Legends of the Wulin game pop up. I think it had a fairly active RPGnet thread and eventually got released on DTRPG. Maybe it had "Fist" or "Fists" in the name? Whatever it was, I can't seem to find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks for any help!
"Tian Shang: Lone Wolf Fists" is apparently post-apocalyptic: "Rules that not only allow, but encourage you to punch a tank in half, battle a scorpion demon, or fight an entire army with your bare hands"

The playtest edition was added June 2018?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I haven't heard of that game in ages. Did they finish it or is it still in unending playtesting?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

FFT posted:

"Tian Shang: Lone Wolf Fists" is apparently post-apocalyptic: "Rules that not only allow, but encourage you to punch a tank in half, battle a scorpion demon, or fight an entire army with your bare hands"

The playtest edition was added June 2018?

I was just coming back to post my "Of course after posting, I immediately thought 'something something wolf fist' and found it on DTRPG", but thank you!

Kwyndig posted:

I haven't heard of that game in ages. Did they finish it or is it still in unending playtesting?

It looks like they ran a Kickstarter last December. The latest update from a couple weeks ago is backers-only but the title says that "Book 2: Characters is only slightly behind schedule" and the one before that is "Core Rules Penultimate Draft" which makes it sound like they're not going to hit their June release.

After leafing through their playtest docs from DTRPG, I can see why I forgot about this almost completely. It doesn't look very good.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

That Old Tree posted:

After leafing through their playtest docs from DTRPG, I can see why I forgot about this almost completely. It doesn't look very good.

:aaaaa:

This game is so weird. There's so much abstraction going on, but it's all bogged down with precise weights and heights and lengths and a dozen scales of differentiation.

Also they need to look up some of the two-dollar turns of phrase they attempt, because stuff like "barbary" and "barbarism" are two different things.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I think there's a big difference between playing an evil but likable antagonist and playing an evil but likable PC. Evil antagonists tend, unless the story derails, to get their comeuppance. The story is set up to implicitly criticise the stuff they do.

PCs are much harder because as a protagonist they have the story on their side, so there's a tendency to feel like the narrative excuses or downplays their actions. It's certainly not impossible, but "PC is ultimately thwarted" is a story that's much harder to make land.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I have been wondering about the idea of a Rogue Trader game that's basically set up like Aguirre the Wrath of God, have the PCs looking to make some great discovery for the Imperium but it's doomed to failure from the start.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Leperflesh posted:

It depends on how you define "evil."

Is "evil" acting selfishly? Violently? Against the will of prevailing religious and social mores? In a way that is harmful to others but beneficial to you (as distinct from 'selfish' which leaves ample space for simply ignoring downsides)? I would have a hard time saying any of these four things are objectively evil - the fourth might come closest but which could also represent you having needs or harms which require restorative action of some kind, which is harmful to others, or potentially some sort of zero-sum situation.

I personally find it unsatisfying to have people be pure-E Evil in realistic situations. This does not mean they would not do evil things, but that they would do them for reasons that make sense to them, either rationally or emotionally. The aphorism that people don't think of themselves as evil seems to ring false for me, at least in recent times, but people do rarely do things just for the sheer joy of wickedness.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Doing an evil campaign I feel requires a healthy dose of comedy and/or satire mixed in, so more along the lines of Caleb from Blood or Crypto from Destroy All Humans than say Spec-Ops: The Line*

*which leads into another thing, you need to be upfront about it being a bad guys campaign, not something you spring on them halfway through the fifth session

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You can finally get answers to all those questions you had about D&D 3e, Numenera, and Invisible Sun!