Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm looking for a roguelike that will scratch this rather specific itch, I'm not sure if it exists.

In C:DDA, there's an internal mod, Magiclysm, that adds magic to the base game. Magic is still, however, pretty freakin' rare and very difficult to learn and to cast. I find this really cool and it tickles my "magic" gameplay more than the usual games that give you a full spellbook right at the start, spellbooks everywhere, and you have 95% chance to cast -- combined with all of CDDA's other "you gotta do this the 'hard' way" mechanics.

You're lucky to find even a single basic cantrip in a small village, and finding serious magic requires a lot of exploration/seriously deep delving, and then you have to actually put in a lot of practice and studying to get these spells castable. The payoff is pretty big, and for once actually feels magic-appropriate instead of "this is just a different way to Apply Damage".

CDDA, unfortunately, is closer to a survival sim than a roguelike, and the magic mod is kind of an afterthought. Are there any other games in this genre that have a similar approach to magic, possibly more thoroughly explored?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

DACK FAYDEN posted:

if there's a Deathstate dev lurking please do :justpost: because your game owned even though it was maybe not "finished" finished :shobon:

Kchama posted:

:yeah: I always wanted more Deathstate.

Yoooo! I barely lurk so sorry this is a few pages late, but former Deathstate dev here :) Happy to answer any questions I can remember the answer to, haha. There was a bunch of extra content I had hoped to add, but I left that studio about 3 years ago. I think the only update they made since then was releasing the Switch port that I'd finished before leaving. I think it probably runs ok!

Kinda vaguely related, it's not really a roguelike at all - more of a score-attack game, but I made a tiny Deathstate demake for the NES when I was teaching myself 6502 assembly last year:
https://softdrawers.com/2020/10/09/motherlode/

Motherlode was Deathstate's working title. The original concept was to make a game that takes place entirely within the world of this scene from the movie Beyond the Black Rainbow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3djVsLBBZ4&t=140s

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

superh posted:

Yoooo! I barely lurk so sorry this is a few pages late, but former Deathstate dev here :) Happy to answer any questions I can remember the answer to, haha. There was a bunch of extra content I had hoped to add, but I left that studio about 3 years ago. I think the only update they made since then was releasing the Switch port that I'd finished before leaving. I think it probably runs ok!

Kinda vaguely related, it's not really a roguelike at all - more of a score-attack game, but I made a tiny Deathstate demake for the NES when I was teaching myself 6502 assembly last year:

Motherlode was Deathstate's working title. The original concept was to make a game that takes place entirely within the world of this scene from the movie Beyond the Black Rainbow:

You should feel extremely proud, Deathstate is still my favorite twin stick shooter.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Deathstate is one of my favorite games period and I still play it often. The Switch port is great. :)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm looking for a roguelike that will scratch this rather specific itch, I'm not sure if it exists.
I'm actually curious about this, too. I have fond memories of old C:DDA, before it got stuck so far up its own rear end.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

superh posted:

Heck yeah! Deathstate is a really fun game, even if I still haven't finished it yet. Thanks for all your hard work (and the NES demake that I didn't know existed until five seconds ago)!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

superh posted:

You are insanely good at this.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
drat thanks y'all! I really appreciate the kind words. I found an old Trello board with some info about what I was working on at the end.

There were a bunch of random bug fixes in progress. I think a few of these made it into the Steam beta branch, which is still on beta today - not sure there's anyone there any more who knows how to flip that live, haha. But I also think that the Switch version might be based on the same "beta" fixes?

I remember planning to add a new alternate world or two to spice things up - did a bunch of work on one world entirely full of boss-sized giant enemies.

I also planned to add some new named uniques along the lines of the Baron Grek skeleton. One was going to start dead, as a corpse, and you'd have to use a revival potion to wake it up to fight it for its drop. (Unless that enemy made it into the game?? It's possible.)

Apparently we also had plans for a playable Slime character? I don't remember what that was going to be like. Maybe spawning babies that attacked instead of the player?? That could have been unplayable, haha.

Oh what could have been!

Don't mean to keep plugging other stuff but Pete, the co-creator and Lead Artist on Deathstate is working on a new game, which is thematically and artistically very similar, called Grindblood. I think he's said it's going to be a Smash TV-like? I don't see a ton of info online about it yet but he streams work on it at https://twitch.tv/imaginarymonsters

I also think that once enough time has passed I might try to and do my own real Deathstate spiritual sequel. There are some things I'd like to revisit, and I still love the core auto-fire gameplay.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
drat, all that stuff sounds cool as hell. At least we might be getting two spiritual successors, though!

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

anyone have any recommendations for iOS traditional roguelikes? the couple i tried after searching "roguelike" in the appstore seem like pretty mindless microtransaction-y things

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Travv0 posted:

anyone have any recommendations for iOS traditional roguelikes? the couple i tried after searching "roguelike" in the appstore seem like pretty mindless microtransaction-y things
Hoplite and Sproggiwood are both slightly simplified but very good roguelikes. Sproggiwood is easy at first, but it goes places with its simple ideas, and Hoplite is a brutally unforgiving tactical roguelike. If you've played Hades, the gameplay loop will feel very familiar, just turn-based.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think Unormal's gone on record in this forums as saying Sproggiwood's cutesy graphics where a mistake unpopular with people with inflexible tastes, imo it's a reasonably mean-spirited RL at heart.

Also don't most RLs work on iOS via WINE?

edit: corrected the Unormal quote ;p

Serephina fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 19, 2021

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Hoplite and Sproggiwood are both slightly simplified but very good roguelikes. Sproggiwood is easy at first, but it goes places with its simple ideas, and Hoplite is a brutally unforgiving tactical roguelike. If you've played Hades, the gameplay loop will feel very familiar, just turn-based.

thanks, i'll check both of those out.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Serephina posted:

I think Unormal's gone on record in this forums as saying Sproggiwood's cutesy graphics where a mistake, imo it's a reasonably mean-spirited RL at heart.

IIRC Sproggiwood was pretty easy at release, but then an extra difficulty was added which is most certainly not easy

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

I think Unormal's gone on record in this forums as saying Sproggiwood's cutesy graphics where a mistake, imo it's a reasonably mean-spirited RL at heart.

They were not at all a mistake, it's just that people with no imagination that can only stomach grimdark bloodgore don't like them.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Unormal posted:

They were not at all a mistake, it's just that people with no imagination that can only stomach grimdark bloodgore don't like them.

My apologies, didn't mean to misrepresent you!

I've seen that screenshot of 16 linked lampreys, we know what kind of sadistic monster you are.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Serephina posted:

Uh do you mean Mac OS? iOS is locked down. I wouldn't doubt it if somebody told me there was a functional wine app that requires jailbreaking, but i would be absolutely dumbfounded if it was actually on the regular app store and thus usable by the vast majority of people who don't jailbreak.

But yes, Mac OS has functional wine distributions and getting individual games to run in them ranges somewhere along the spectrum from mild effort to huge pain in the rear end depending on which game you are looking at.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Unormal posted:

I bought Caves of Qud key in like 2011 but Sproggiwood just didn't do it for me. Whether it's the art style or the world not having enough interesting stuff for me I can't say, though.

CoQ is one of the all time greats, though. I've been almost literally waiting for the finished game since I've bough that key back then :v:

fake edit: since I'm already digging through old e-mails, I was reminded that the person who introduced it to me was probably PlumpHelmetPunk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nFB7smiHTs

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Unormal posted:

I am curious, do you have any idea if that was a significant enough number to hurt sales or just loud whiners?

I'd love to dev something with a brighter look closer to Adventure Time aesthetics but worry you can't afford to alienate that kind of fan when making a relatively hardcore game like a proper roguelike or turn based crpg

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I am curious, do you have any idea if that was a significant enough number to hurt sales or just loud whiners?

I'd love to dev something with a brighter look closer to Adventure Time aesthetics but worry you can't afford to alienate that kind of fan when making a relatively hardcore game like a proper roguelike or turn based crpg
Don’t leave yourself beholden to what grognards think they want.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Sproggiwood is Freehold Games' best title. It's going for something very different than CoQ so it's not like one obsoletes the other, it's just really well-designed in terms of moment-to-moment gameplay.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

No matter if you prefer the 'wood or the coq, everyone ends up satisfied.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
For Android roguelikes, don't forget Shattered Pixel Dungeon. It's an excellent roguelike - Android only.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
A New (Early Access) Challenger on the Shmup Fusion front:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/863970/Survive_the_Rift/

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Travv0 posted:

I don't think it's the most traditional RL, but take a look at Imbroglio and Michael Brough's other titles.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

beer gas canister posted:

I don't think it's the most traditional RL, but take a look at Imbroglio and Michael Brough's other titles.

Is there any hint of these coming to Android someday?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Jack Trades posted:

No matter if you prefer the 'wood or the coq, everyone ends up satisfied.

Roguelikes - The 'Wood and the COQ

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

GetDunked posted:

Roguelikes - The 'Wood and the COQ

Someone 500+ pages ago said the new thread title should be "Roguelikes - It's where you're @" and I think about that a lot.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there any hint of these coming to Android someday?

Nah it's been years and MB has indicated that there's not much impetus to port, unfortunately.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

SKULL.GIF posted:

In C:DDA, there's an internal mod, Magiclysm, that adds magic to the base game. Magic is still, however, pretty freakin' rare and very difficult to learn and to cast. I find this really cool and it tickles my "magic" gameplay more than the usual games that give you a full spellbook right at the start, spellbooks everywhere, and you have 95% chance to cast -- combined with all of CDDA's other "you gotta do this the 'hard' way" mechanics.

You're lucky to find even a single basic cantrip in a small village, and finding serious magic requires a lot of exploration/seriously deep delving, and then you have to actually put in a lot of practice and studying to get these spells castable. The payoff is pretty big, and for once actually feels magic-appropriate instead of "this is just a different way to Apply Damage".

CDDA, unfortunately, is closer to a survival sim than a roguelike, and the magic mod is kind of an afterthought. Are there any other games in this genre that have a similar approach to magic, possibly more thoroughly explored?
i still really like the idea of a game where you basically have to be a nerd wizard in order to be a nerd wizard, and also nerd wizards are not especially suited to going into dark holes in the ground to murder the skeletons and steal their stuff for advanced wizard reasons

gently caress gently caress gently caress i didn't lock the seventh chevron so my sleep spell didn't go off right and all i've got left is these orbs i thought looked cool and a scroll of fireball, nuclear winter that the devs didn't redact properly

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Trials of Fire is fun but I feel like I've seen every single "event" after like maybe 5 sessions? The world map feels kind of pointless to me already, might feel better if there were more wandering monsters fights.

Really like the fights, although the summoner class feels pretty weak if it doesn't get its summons. Melee heavy comp feels pretty punishing too.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Fairly surprised to see DLC #1 on the hazy horizon for Rogue Empire, after all these years---but just maybe the new mode can make inroads on disentangling and livening up the game outright?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1440600/Rogue_Empire__Dark_Heroes/

quote:

The first DLC for Rogue Empire brings together darker heroes to protect Ethistos against its common enemies: The first Shadow!
What is included in the DLC:

You can now play as a necromancer commanding an unholy host of undead! Have access to their unique school of magic! Unlock one of 2 mutually exclusive necromancer paths to immortality!
If summoning undead is not your thing but using your foe's soul is, the Soul Reaver is for you! Harness the power of your enemy souls and cast powerful abilities with them!
In addition to these new classes, a new race has also been added: The Insectoids. Unlocked in game, these insect like creatures possess a unique metabolism and intrinsic body armor.
New runes of power will allow you to further customize your character's equipment by adding unique effects to your gear.

What will be added free for any rogue empire owner:
A new game mode will be added to the base game with the DLC update for free: Escape the Barrier

In this mode you have acquired new information on how to escape an impenetrable shadow barrier enveloping the city you are in! You have to choose one of many paths, each with their own ramifications, facing different challenges while trying to escape the barrier! Along the way you can also acquire treasure and interact with merchants.
Intended to be session oriented with a roguelite vibe, this mode will have a unique ruleset to provide a different experience from that of the other game modes! Health and mana will only regenerate after each successful step taken, making path choices very important!
At the end, be ready to face one of several new and unique bosses added to this mode!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

It was pretty successful for a paid indie title with no marketing budget (made a couple/few hundred grand on mobile gross), so I'd say it was fine. It might have done better grimdark, but that's not very clear.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Unormal posted:

It was pretty successful for a paid indie title with no marketing budget (made a couple/few hundred grand on mobile gross), so I'd say it was fine. It might have done better grimdark, but that's not very clear.

i'm actually surprised you're implying it doesn't seem to have a long tail, i'd assume being one of the best mobile roguelikes to date would lead to a steady trickle of new purchases

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
My wife who isn't really a rogueliker got further than me in Sproggiwood, it definitely has some crossover appeal.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'm actually surprised you're implying it doesn't seem to have a long tail, i'd assume being one of the best mobile roguelikes to date would lead to a steady trickle of new purchases

Not an iOS dev and someone who is could probably tell you more accurately, but it's been my understanding sales are heavily heavily affected by what Apple chooses to feature on the front page. I think it's very rare for any iOS game to have a long tail unless it's managed to never drop from the charts at all

Travv0
Jan 26, 2013

goferchan posted:

Not an iOS dev and someone who is could probably tell you more accurately, but it's been my understanding sales are heavily heavily affected by what Apple chooses to feature on the front page. I think it's very rare for any iOS game to have a long tail unless it's managed to never drop from the charts at all

that kinda seems to be the case for video games in general as far as i can tell, either they're physical so there's no money from resales after they're done printing or they're digital and get the best sales if they get featured on launch. i will say i did buy sproggiwood a couple days ago when it was recommended so there's at least one blip in the tail :cool:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, has anyone given Armoured Commander II a go yet, by any chance? Looks interesting - kinda like UnReal World mixed with the War Thunder/IL-2 tank mode.
Not sure if it's best to wait a while though, seeing as it's in early access.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Its like 6-7 years old so the tail is very modest. A few hundred bucks a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, has anyone given Armoured Commander II a go yet, by any chance? Looks interesting - kinda like UnReal World mixed with the War Thunder/IL-2 tank mode.
Not sure if it's best to wait a while though, seeing as it's in early access.

I have. It's more arcadey in the maneuver/penetration/encounter mechanics that I would like. The skill system needs work. There are a lot of campaigns and nations but there is no overarching campaign (yet, I hope. Seems trivial for a modder to stick together all the existing Soviet or German sub-campaigns so idk why that hasn't been done yet). But it is a roguelike, it is cool, and it is unique. Glad I supported it but not my roguelike GOTY (which is Qud, obviously).