Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

7-1 Red Sox over my White Sox in the 2nd! Giolito didn't even make it through two innings! Turns out Monday morning baseball sucks! :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm completely mystified that they let Giolito come out for the second inning

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Remember like a week ago when the Red Sox and A's were gonna be the worst teams in baseball. Life comes at you fast.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

mcmagic posted:

I still can't get over that the Yankees took a guy who was literally one of the 2-3 worst players in the majors and the rangers, a bad team, paid like 30 million to go away and just inserted him into the lineup batting 6th as an everyday player. It's time for this entire FO to get fired.

The Cardinals are still batting Matt Carpenter in like, the 5 hole and paying him $18.5m if that makes you feel any better. He's hitting .069 :v: with a :stare: 7 OPS+

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Cardinals are still batting Matt Carpenter in like, the 5 hole and paying him $18.5m if that makes you feel any better. He's hitting .069 :v: with a :stare: 7 OPS+

That is actually somehow better than what the Yankees are doing because if YOU owe a guy 19 million, there is more of an incentive to try to get something out of him... The Yankees are paying Odor literally nothing lol.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Bird in a Blender posted:

The White Sox have a game at 10am? Wtf?

Patriots Day fuckin' rules. Red Sox start at 11am, and afterwards you can amble down to Copley and watch people finishing the marathon.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

He went to the big city and drank himself out of his job. Pretty funny.

His arm and upper torso falling apart didn't help.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Cubs are about to have another 100 years of darkness for what they did in 2016.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mcmagic posted:

That is actually somehow better than what the Yankees are doing because if YOU owe a guy 19 million, there is more of an incentive to try to get something out of him... The Yankees are paying Odor literally nothing lol.

holy poo poo, the Rangers DFA'd him and the Yankees traded for him less than a week later?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
ok FINE https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1384181073668558850?s=20

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

that's great but why is the photo in the lid from the NLDS :confused:

e: wait are those + / - buttons and is that a video screen? that's kinda dope then

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

It is a little weird that when Luke Voit went down, the Yankees moved DJ LeMahieu to 1st and went dumpster diving for a 2B. Wouldn't it make more sense to leave DJLM at his primary position and bring up just anyone to play first? Seems like every team should have a few big fat guys in AAA who can play 1B and hit a few dingers? Although I guess the minor league season hasn't started yet and guys like that might not be ready?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Dreker has good sources in the org but lmao

https://twitter.com/johndreker/status/1384001645462257671?s=21

I’m sure it was an obscenely huge homer but 550 isn’t possible, statcast sensors had to be miscalibrated

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Pussy Boss posted:

It is a little weird that when Luke Voit went down, the Yankees moved DJ LeMahieu to 1st and went dumpster diving for a 2B. Wouldn't it make more sense to leave DJLM at his primary position and bring up just anyone to play first? Seems like every team should have a few big fat guys in AAA who can play 1B and hit a few dingers? Although I guess the minor league season hasn't started yet and guys like that might not be ready?

Here is the situation as I understand it.

They were working Andujar at 1B in Spring Training but he got hurt. Jay Bruce ended up at 1B to start the season but well, he retired yesterday. Mike Ford is the other proverbial fat man who can hit dingers but he's limited incredibly to just that and also he wasn't eligible to be recalled until tomorrow. So Cashman took a flier on Odor. With Bruce gone Ford might get a call up or utility IFer Tyler Wade might. Voit is fielding balls and might take ABs this week and Andujar is a week or two behind that. So obviously they're just moving around chairs trying to get to that point without giving anything up but I could see Ford getting a week now that he's eligible just to try and get something working.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 19, 2021

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I keep thinking Vin Scully is dead and am pleasantly surprised when he isn't.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Patrick Spens posted:

It's weird reading people talk about Baez like he's fallen off a cliff somehow. His OPS+ is 100! That is, by definition, not too bad. And his career OPS+ is 102! This is normal for him.

a lot of people bought into his 2018 hard and expected him to be a perennial MVP candidate going forward

see also: Schwarber, Kyle

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

That video box loving rules

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Poque posted:

That video box loving rules

It does but it also reminds me of when Jeb Bush spend tons of campaign money sending auto-playing video thingies to potential voters in New Hampshire.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

e: wait are those + / - buttons and is that a video screen? that's kinda dope then
yeah it's video, every player got a box like that with a video that plays highlights

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

Here is the situation as I understand it.

They were working Andujar at 1B in Spring Training but he got hurt. Jay Bruce ended up at 1B to start the season but well, he retired yesterday. Mike Ford is the other proverbial fat man who can hit dingers but he's limited incredibly to just that and also he wasn't eligible to be recalled until tomorrow. So Cashman took a flier on Odor. With Bruce gone Ford might get a call up or utility IFer Tyler Wade might. Voit is fielding balls and might take ABs this week and Andujar is a week or two behind that. So obviously they're just moving around chairs trying to get to that point without giving anything up but I could see Ford getting a week now that he's eligible just to try and get something working.

Ford was so awful last year that he killed all the brownie points he had from being decent in 2019 but I also highly doubt he would be worse than Odor. Don't look now but it's also been a number of years since the Yankee farm system has produced anyone worth a poo poo too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mcmagic posted:

Don't look now but it's also been a number of years since the Yankee farm system has produced anyone worth a poo poo too.

I dunno, Garret Whitlock's been looking pretty good this season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

howe_sam posted:

I dunno, Garret Whitlock's been looking pretty good this season.

Actually the one thing the Yankees have done is produce RP's. But yeah losing a good pitcher to Boston for nothing is a baaaaaaaad look.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

No Safe Word posted:

lol is a championship-winning MLB team using the same company that produces lovely overpriced high school rings?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mike_V posted:

lol is a championship-winning MLB team using the same company that produces lovely overpriced high school rings?

Weirdly enough yes, and the Dodgers aren't alone. Jostens is like *the* jeweler for championship rings.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yea I had to google them afterwards. They've made like 30 Super Bowl rings too. And also high school yearbooks.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Acuña day to day, diagnosis is mild abdominal strain, not going to the IL

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

howe_sam posted:

Weirdly enough yes, and the Dodgers aren't alone. Jostens is like *the* jeweler for championship rings.

That was their big selling point when I was in school

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Gooooooooooo Jostens

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mike_V posted:

Jostens made the 2006 and 2011 Cards rings!

https://www.jostens.com/jewelry/sports/professional/mlb-pro-baseball

Poque fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 19, 2021

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Its Rinaldo posted:

Gooooooooooo Jostens

Now I want a Clark bar

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jostens makes every sports ring

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm pretty sure I went to some Cubs games as a kid thanks to Jostens. My dad was a high school administrator and Jostens did the school rings. I think the rep tossed my dad a set of tickets each year. So they're ok in my book.

I also stupidly got a class ring my senior year, what a waste of money.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The window of when it's cool to wear a high school class ring is like 3 months of your senior year. I'm really not sure how they are still a thing but I guess it's just a weird tradition that parents are willing to shell out for.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

The window of when it's cool to wear a high school class ring is like 3 months of your senior year. I'm really not sure how they are still a thing but I guess it's just a weird tradition that parents are willing to shell out for.

It's a good sign to let everyone know you peaked in high school.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Popete posted:

When graduating from high school meant something I think they were more important. I don't know anybody who gets a college ring even anymore

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phillies place 3 on the Covid list

Matt Moore can stay on the list indefinitely

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Its Rinaldo posted:

When graduating from high school meant something I think they were more important. I don't know anybody who gets a college ring even anymore

I remember the scam "honors" fraternity trying to get me to buy a ring and I noped right out of there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/MarlinsComms/status/1384247818697666566?s=20

Not really what we need

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I am afraid of the Boston Red Sox, y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Truly pathetic. Come on, go to some really nice jeweler, the rings are expensive as poo poo from Jostens as it is!