Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Volte posted:

The concept of cryptocurrency is just assigning positive value to the concept of wasting energy, and the currency itself is literally just proof that you wasted a certain amount of energy. It's the most antisocial thing techbros have ever done.

What can you even do with cryptocurrency? To my knowledge you can't even buy anything with it. I've never seen a single online retailer have it as an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Geo Fixer posted:

Couldn't someone just like emulate a psn signal on their ps4 to fool the cmos battery? Or like just remove the need for the cmos system altogether?

to answer your question with the utmost clarity and concision

yes, but because the PS5 has no games and because it's a slow news season we will continue to have to endure idiotic clickbait takes about CMOS batteries for at least 3.5 more weeks, at which point we will go through a second wind of idiotic clickbait takes about a vaporware also ran TLOU remaster doublemaster and buy your games at full price if you love them because Sony Bend not something something metracritic bad man Sony hates indies Jim Ryan must be removed and 'the story is poo poo! i mean what's so wrong about giving a hardcore chromoly steel dragon's head wedding ring to a hot oregon babe whom i've vowed to ride as much as my motorcycle until zombie death do us part, etc

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 19, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

:chloe:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I said come in! posted:

What can you even do with cryptocurrency? To my knowledge you can't even buy anything with it. I've never seen a single online retailer have it as an option.

There was a small rush of retailers accepting it back in like 2014-2016, but that's kind of died out. MS used to accept bitcoin for their digital store until earlier this year. Basically now it's for buying illegal stuff and selling it to a sucker before the next crash.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1384254641219592192

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

yes, that is in fact the face i make when people drone on and on about 'gaming controversy'

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Necrothatcher posted:

is Tokyo Jungle actually fun or is it just popular because it's stuck on PS3 only?

the game design is strong.
Playing it is pretty repetitive and combat is too shallow but you get to be cool animals in goofy situations so its pretty fun.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
My Sony Playstation 5 has many games and is my all in one CMOS machine.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only turn my PS5 on when I want to know what time it is

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Just looked at the list of songs they stripped out of the digital version of Grand Theft Auto 4 and they cut “Stylin” by Papoose. :stare:

I can’t imagine that game without driving to “YOU MAD CAUSE I’M STYLIN ON YOU”. Digital sucks sometimes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

My Sony Playstation 5 has many games and is my all in one CMOS machine.

just wait until you see PS5 CMOS's guaranteed 'X-Buster'

we aren't even close to the final form

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

acksplode posted:

I repeat, cryptocurrency is not causing general chip and GPU shortages.

Is this true for GPUs? Afaik GPU prices only exploded when crypto did. Things were bad in late 2020, but not $2000+ for a 3080 bad.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Is this true for GPUs? Afaik GPUs prices only exploded when crypto did. Things were bad in late 2020, but not $2000+ for a 3080 bad.

Yeah I'm pretty sure crypto isn't responsible. Steam stats etc. show that 3080 uptake is comparable to past hardware generations, so it can't be that miners are getting everything. Part of it is that GPUs suddenly got more expensive after 2020 due to new tariffs. Also I think a lot of people were holding on to the conventional wisdom that the shortage would ease up a few months after launch, and once it became clear that it was long-term many of them gave in and started F5'ing or paying scalpers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:thunk:

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/konami-trademarks-castlevania-metal-gear-rising-in-japan

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

acksplode posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure crypto isn't responsible. Steam stats etc. show that 3080 uptake is comparable to past hardware generations, so it can't be that miners are getting everything. Part of it is that GPUs suddenly got more expensive after 2020 due to new tariffs. Also I think a lot of people were holding on to the conventional wisdom that the shortage would ease up a few months after launch, and once it became clear that it was long-term many of them gave in and started F5'ing or paying scalpers.

Is there a recent survey? Presumably you could have similar numbers to before if gaming demand (on top of crypto demand) was higher this time around but so was supply.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

its pachinko

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Is there a recent survey? Presumably you could have similar numbers to before if gaming demand (on top of crypto demand) was higher this time around but so was supply.

Yeah that's true. Nvidia put out a statement shortly after the 3080 launch debacle defending themselves by saying that supply was comparable to past generations, but partners could have ramped up production since then. I wouldn't be surprised if 3080 growth slowed on steam surveys as crypto took off. We know miners are buying GPUs for sure. And they're probably driving the high scalping prices, I can't imagine anyone who isn't fabulously rich buying a $2k 3080 without intending to make money from it. But they aren't the cause of the shortage, I was there for the 3080 launch before this current crypto boom and finding one was still plenty miserable. What I'm saying is that it's tempting to blame stupid evil cryptocurrency for the situation, but you could make it magically disappear and there would still be a shortage, if not as bad. And my point with that is to explain that we're not going to see a similar shortage of SSDs caused exclusively by some new cryptocurrency that depends on them, so no point worrying about it. There's no existing SSD shortage for miners to exacerbate.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is rest mode crashing oddworld soulstorm for anyone else?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

its pachinko

drat, yeah

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

GPU shortage isn’t because of crypto as far as I know. It’s a general silicon and complex chip shortage. I think the main reason is actually a thing that’s been on the horizon for about a decade. Over 80% of the precious metals needed for chip fabrication (all stages, like even the machines and chemicals that go into the fab) are located and controlled by China. What presidency did we just get out of? What was his stance on China? Yeah, we had a ton of very high risk high complexity trade deals with China for these precious metals over the years but Trump basically gutted all that.

COVID has hit the overseas precious metal miners, mobilizers, and chip fab manufacturers as well. I think that’s the other half of this.

I could be totally wrong about this but I think that’s the gist of it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lots of precious metals in Afghanistan, let's just take those, says first Gamer president, Joe Biden

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Samsungs FABs are at capacity and cant really magically make more Nvidia chips which are also low yield, same goes with TSMC and AMD products which consequently means PS5 hardware. FABs are a multi billion dollar 4-5 year strategic investment, TSMC has huge fab going up in AZ but likely wont be ready until 2024

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Even if the shortage isn’t because of crypto I say we blame crypto anyways because the crypto fanboy reactions are the funniest.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Folks ... the ps5? It's good
I'm playing games on it right now

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

doctorthefonz posted:

Folks ... the ps5? It's good
I'm playing games on it right now

It’s pretty great! Especially if you’re coming from a launch PS4 with a spinning HD.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

I came essentially from the x360 to now and it rules

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i bought a fancy 4k tv to play my ps5 on and like half the time I just play my ps5 on my pc with remote play

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

eonwe posted:

i bought a fancy 4k tv to play my ps5 on and like half the time I just play my ps5 on my pc with remote play

Same except I use it and it fucken owns

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I should buy a 4K TV. I wanted a TCL 6-series but I put one on my watch list and it never went on sale and now it’s out of stock so uh... I dunno.

$900 feels like a lot for a TV. But I’m poor after buying a PlayStation 5.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I was meaning to ask, what's an excellent tv with dope picture and everything plugged into the HDMI behaves properly? I've had an old 3D LG I've resisted replacing because it's been incredible for all its life but I'm beginning to think I'm selling myself short by not going 4K and allowing this nerd machine to really spread its wings.

People have mentioned a particular LG in this thread. What is it, and would you lot recommend it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cvnvcnv posted:

I've had an old 3D LG I've resisted replacing because it's been incredible for all its life

Lol I forgot about those. What a short lived fad.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

Get thee to the hd tv thread, tons of good advice

doctorthefonz fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 20, 2021

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

bows1 posted:

bitcoin mining has offset all the power created by solar panels. Think about how dumb that is

All bitcoin miners should be given the wall.
Edit: add those NFT fuckers as well.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The LG CX is the best tv for the money and they fixed the only bug it had where VRR 120hz (I think?) would be slightly washed out grey. They just fixed that in a firmware update by doing some cool poo poo with the oled temperatures in the background. It’s a loving incredible tv.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BGrifter posted:

I should buy a 4K TV. I wanted a TCL 6-series but I put one on my watch list and it never went on sale and now it’s out of stock so uh... I dunno.

$900 feels like a lot for a TV. But I’m poor after buying a PlayStation 5.

I think sales usually start popping up before new models are released. So like, mid summer?

6 series is dope though you get a lot for the price. I've been really enjoying mine. I bought mine last June and they were $300 off the sticker price everywhere. Actually just about every TV model was around that time.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Once you see perfect blacks on an OLED T.V. you can't really go back

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

veni veni veni posted:

I think sales usually start popping up before new models are released. So like, mid summer?

6 series is dope though you get a lot for the price. I've been really enjoying mine. I bought mine last June and they were $300 off the sticker price everywhere. Actually just about every TV model was around that time.

Yeah, I might start saving and look into sales when the new ones come along. For now I’ve got an older 1080p Vizio that’s been very good to me.

I’m not 100% sold on the upgrade. For games where I have a choice between 60fps/1080p or 30fps/4k I’m always going to choose the frame rate. I’ll upgrade eventually, but it doesn’t feel like the bump from an old standard def TV to 1080p.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Blind Rasputin posted:

The LG CX is the best tv for the money and they fixed the only bug it had where VRR 120hz (I think?) would be slightly washed out grey. They just fixed that in a firmware update by doing some cool poo poo with the oled temperatures in the background. It’s a loving incredible tv.

I have the lg C8 which i think is the same model from 2 years ago and even that looks insanely good with a ps5, can only imagine the new ones

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I got the BX, which is the slightly cheaper option. Really the entry level gaming OLED. I regret not just saving the extra cash for a CX, which apparently has a better processor, which results in a brighter image.

BX can be pretty dim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I have the BX mostly because the stand fits my TV shelf a lot better than the CX stand which is pretty much the length of the T.V.

I only notice it's a bit dim when it's a really dark game scene, nothing game breaking though.