Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Deck thinning as a concept is not high on the agenda for aggro decks that aim to win in 4-5 turns since every deck has to be exactly 30 cards anyway. If there is some kind of Pirate Mecha'thun deck in the future then it's possible Patches could get in on that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
my level 50 legendary reward was Kargal so that's a free legendary of my choice :gritin:

right now it's looking like either Murgurgle because I have most of the other Paladin stuff, or something for Combo Rogue because I have both Helbrim and Scabbs

thoughts? Token Druid looks cheap but from what I can see Guff is left out more than he's put in

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

idk about the rest but my free level 50 legendary was guff and he felt very lame the few games I played with him

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I tried out Guff and Guff kind of sucks?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Julio Cruz posted:

my level 50 legendary reward was Kargal so that's a free legendary of my choice :gritin:

right now it's looking like either Murgurgle because I have most of the other Paladin stuff, or something for Combo Rogue because I have both Helbrim and Scabbs

thoughts? Token Druid looks cheap but from what I can see Guff is left out more than he's put in

Murgurgle rules. I have Scabbs but have never played with him, but streamer consensus seems to be right now he's not that great.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

there's no way scabbs doesn't enable some kind of utterly heinous bullshit, if not now then in a later expansion. is the alexstrasza/tenwu thing the only one that people have run with so far?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Guff is alright he's just very awkward to play in my experience. Anyone who understands how a token deck works will beeline to remove him if you play him on curve because of his statline. His effect doesn't proc from 10 cards in the deck I use him in ( https://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone/token-druid-deck) - I dunno whether you'd call them spells or effects whatever the proper term for them is but because they're not NATURE he won't buff other minions. He's nice when he pops up, but he hasn't been a game winner for me and usually only sees play if I can cheat out Mark of the Wild or Arbor Up to give him some bulk. I don't think he's amazing value and might re-evaluate him later down the line.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Guff and Scabbs both feel like they were designed to work with cards down the line, or designed with Wild in mind. They didn't print enough to support them in the base Forged set.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The big problem with Scabbs is that he was printed in the same set as Kazakus and Kazakus is just better 95% of the time

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not sure what the real pay off is for putting guff in a deck. Token are aggressive decks that don't really have the luxury of a slow value card. Sure you might get +6/6 at times with some crazy innervate/lightning Bloom turns. That just seems like too small of a pay off for the crazy pop off turns that should be game winning. I think if druid had a few more reasons to want to play nature than guff makes a lot more sense but I don't think he is good enough to build a deck around and I don't think druid uses enough nature normally to justify him.

It seems weird to me that animal based spells aren't nature like adorable infestation, power of the wild, and prides fury. But that might have made guff too good.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

AnacondaHL posted:

Guff and Scabbs both feel like they were designed to work with cards down the line, or designed with Wild in mind. They didn't print enough to support them in the base Forged set.

I feel the same way about my level 50 legendary, Flurgl. I'm hoping they add an Underbelly Angler replacement in the mini set.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

AnacondaHL posted:

Guff is way too situational to see any serious play in Wild token Druid, at least. Scabbs, though, I could definitely see becoming a keystone card for a miracle or OTK combo somewhere down the road.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Guff is way too situational to see any serious play in Wild token Druid, at least. Scabbs, though, I could definitely see becoming a keystone card for a miracle or OTK combo somewhere down the road.

Not necessarily token Druid, but a combo deck where you drop Guff with exactly 1 Crabrider or whatever on board, and buff it for OTK lethal

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Todays messup; mulligan Thorngrowth Sentries, Solar Eclipse, 2x Innverate, and had coin. I look at that and correctly deduce "Wow, I can 4/8 with taunt on the board in turn one, that's insane!"

So of course I naturally get far too excited and pop coin > solar eclipse first. Instead of, y'know, being smart and going coin > innervate > innervate > solar eclipse > thorngrowth sentries.

I still won in the end but drat I was really salty about messing up that opener. I'd love to hear some board tales of misplays that either worked in your favour or against it.

DeadButDelicious fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 19, 2021

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Firebert posted:

The big problem with Scabbs is that he was printed in the same set as Kazakus and Kazakus is just better 95% of the time

Yeah.
Amusing that pretty much all the streamers rated scabbs as an auto include in every rogue deck forever

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

DeadButDelicious posted:

Todays messup; mulligan Thorngrowth Sentries, Solar Eclipse, 2x Innverate, and had coin. I look at that and correctly deduce "Wow, I can 4/8 with taunt on the board in turn one, that's insane!"

So of course I naturally get far too excited and pop solar eclipse first. Instead of, y'know, being smart and going coin > innervate > innervate > solar eclipse > thorngrowth sentries.

I still won in the end but drat I was really salty about messing up that opener. I'd love to hear some board tales of misplays that either worked in your favour or against it.

The classic prep > coin > concede combo never gets old.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

GTO posted:

The classic prep > coin > concede combo never gets old.

I gently caress this up all the time lmao. or Nature Studies > Lightning Bloom/Innervate.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'll admit I massively overrated Scabbs. I really thought he was gonna be the defining card of this expansion. Rogue just doesn't have enough good 3+ mana cards to make it worth it, I guess.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

sirtommygunn posted:

I'll admit I massively overrated Scabbs. I really thought he was gonna be the defining card of this expansion. Rogue just doesn't have enough good 3+ mana cards to make it worth it, I guess.

I really feel like Scabbs should have enabled some broken rear end poo poo by now at least in Wild but *crickets*

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Desert Bus posted:

I really feel like Scabbs should have enabled some broken rear end poo poo by now at least in Wild but *crickets*

I'm sure something is waiting there. I would like to know how it works with Spirit of the Shark in particular. Rogue isn't hugely popular at the moment though it seems...

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 19, 2021

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Quote is not edit

Oops

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I think Guff is potentially very good but right now he's card 29 or 30 in Standard token druid. He's fun though when he pops off.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
If anyone wants first hand experience of playing against my priest deck.... I queued into kibler. He usually wins when I run into him on ladder once every blue moon. Glad to take one off him for a change.

https://twitch.tv/videos/993280353?t=14937s

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Devo posted:

I think Guff is potentially very good but right now he's card 29 or 30 in Standard token druid. He's fun though when he pops off.

This is the definition of popping off
https://hsreplay.net/replay/bEDVZ3bQZdUNE6iyxjTs5K

e: Also advice around playing the Ogre turn here? I think I screwed it up but I'm not sure what the good line is.

Devo fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 19, 2021

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Devo posted:

This is the definition of popping off
https://hsreplay.net/replay/bEDVZ3bQZdUNE6iyxjTs5K

e: Also advice around playing the Ogre turn here? I think I screwed it up but I'm not sure what the good line is.

Turn 5 had definite room for improvement.

Trade one 1/1 into Ogremancer first, then do the Lunar Eclipse + Arbor Up, then full trade. All three of your minions can trade, and you end up with the same board except you have one less 3/2 and the Ogremancer is dead.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah as I was doing that turn I knew there was no possible way in hell it was right. But ropes and all that.

Kind of miss the play critique thread but I guess this thread doesn't get enough action that we can't just throw it in here.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

World War Mammories posted:

idk about the rest but my free level 50 legendary was guff and he felt very lame the few games I played with him

I thought Guff sucked but let VS hype me into crafting him and can confirm: guff sucks.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Acerbatus posted:

I thought Guff sucked but let VS hype me into crafting him and can confirm: guff sucks.
If everything lines up perfectly, Guff is probably the cheapest and most efficient snowballing win-more card currently in Standard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr Beens posted:

Amusing that pretty much all the streamers rated scabbs as an auto include in every rogue deck forever

I'm really surprised about Scabbs too because it seems so obviously good on paper.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Very excited to have gotten to Silver 5 for the first time ever. I know it's probably small beans to all of you but progress is progress!

Boy a Turn 5 Glowfly Swarm into a Turn 6 Lightning Bloom > Solar Eclipse > Arbor Up is absolutely beautiful to see. It's very hard to stop potentially 42 damage flying at your face (realistically it's lower) if you ignore the treant bit and go hard on raw stat buffs to set up an OTK (am I using that term correctly?) You'd think Guff is the MVP of the deck but it's Solar Eclipse into Arbor Up that gives me the big smiles.

I notice that Sir Annoy-O is in the shop right now - will these purchasable heroes be rotating? I would very much like Dame Hazelbark to replace Malfurion.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeadButDelicious posted:

Very excited to have gotten to Silver 5 for the first time ever. I know it's probably small beans to all of you but progress is progress!

Boy a Turn 5 Glowfly Swarm into a Turn 6 Lightning Bloom > Solar Eclipse > Arbor Up is absolutely beautiful to see. It's very hard to stop potentially 42 damage flying at your face (realistically it's lower) if you ignore the treant bit and go hard on raw stat buffs to set up an OTK (am I using that term correctly?) You'd think Guff is the MVP of the deck but it's Solar Eclipse into Arbor Up that gives me the big smiles.

I notice that Sir Annoy-O is in the shop right now - will these purchasable heroes be rotating? I would very much like Dame Hazelbark to replace Malfurion.

Nobody knows, but possibly eventually. They also put up Sylvanas who was only real money at one point awhile back.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm really surprised about Scabbs too because it seems so obviously good on paper.

I think the problem is most of the cards Rogue already plays are dirt cheap, and Kazakus is kind of really good in Rogue. I mean he's good everywhere, but Shadow stepping a 5/5 with Divine Shield that copies itself is nuts.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So now that the rest of the nerfs are out of the way will Blizz finally take a look at Libram Paladin? Like maybe making their librams only go down to 1 mana instead of 0?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Probably not, no

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

RatHat posted:

So now that the rest of the nerfs are out of the way will Blizz finally take a look at Libram Paladin? Like maybe making their librams only go down to 1 mana instead of 0?

That won't be happening, but they'll be taking a look at potential buffs next week, and if Paladin really needs it nerfs.

Arghonautz
Oct 31, 2011
Went on a big winstreak early in the season and ended up pushing through to legend for the first time, mainly control warlock but mixed in some face hunter from D5 - D1. After getting to the final star 3 times and losing, switched back to warlock and won 3 in a row to make it. Tracked all my games, total 87 wins - 60 losses as warlock, 24-17 as face hunter, and a quick 11-4 as aggro secret paladin before the nerfs. 19% of opponents were paladins, 18% mages, 15% hunter.

Got a useful legendary in Kazakus too!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
just lost to this greediest fuckin deck i've ever seen

the Yogg came out of nowhere and stole my three biggest minions

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So OTK DH is back, and better than ever.

Sigil of Flame is surprisingly good, and Talented Arcanist makes the OTK much more consistent(And you can use it for removal/emergency lifegain too).

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
There's a libram-less secret paladin at the top of HSReplays charts with a 70% winrate over 18,000 games. I think paladin maybe needs another tweak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Toebone posted:

There's a libram-less secret paladin at the top of HSReplays charts with a 70% winrate over 18,000 games. I think paladin maybe needs another tweak.

It's the real deal. I started at Diamond 7 0 stars today intending to clear the weekly and streaked to Diamond 5 5-0, managing to beat a spell mage (who Lunacied on 3 with coin but then proceeded to find nothing so he probably shot himself in the foot there), two other secret pallies with different decklists, and a couple of control warlocks on the way, one that even threw all his removal at me but whose back against the wall from the start and couldn't play either Tickatus of Jaraxxus because he would have lost right away, meaning I was able to draw into my second Conviction in time and blow past his desperation Strongman from Y'Shaarj to win. (I think I started with both Swords in hand - was on mobile, so sorry no replay.)

I then played another game because I couldn't remember if the star bonus disabled at Diamond 5 (spoiler: it does) and beat a hunter to go to 6-0. I'm not sure you *can* hit anything else in the deck at this point short of making the Sword a 2-mana 1-1.