Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Let's hope the americans try to cling on a little longer for maximum laffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Mods pls rename this the ESL Memorial thread 2021-2021

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

Does this mean I don’t have an excuse to stop supporting Arsenal? I was quite looking forward to it...

Supporting Arsenal is reason enough to stop supporting Arsenal and don't let anyone tell you otherwise

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

If all the PL clubs drop out then they'll have to walk back the prince philip comment. Brexit 2

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

peanut- posted:

Think it's much more that they have owners with absolutely zero appetite for actual political antagonism.

City is owned by a country bombing Yemen into famine so I don't think they give a poo poo about that. I think the more worrying thing is this might actually get a 50% + 1 law passed and they lose their investment when they already have a hugely dominant financial position so the gain of super League isn't as big for them.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

rear end cobra posted:

Let's hope the americans try to cling on a little longer for maximum laffs

I think the last two are going to be RM and Juve, but yeah I fully expect the Americans to hold on as long as possible.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

thanks petrodollar barons for saving football

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

peanut- posted:

Think it's much more that they have owners with absolutely zero appetite for actual political antagonism.

Next time round they'll make sure to get the bribes in place first before announcing

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

hopefully they hosed themselves by going in half cocked

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The American owners are probably dumb enough to think the fact that our stupid country let's them do whatever they want to their sports franchises means they get to do the same in England. I'm for kicking every American owner out of the premiere league.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

barca and atletico next?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Almost disappointed this imploded so quickly

I would still like to see some very real consequences for all clubs involved

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

kecske posted:

barca and atletico next?

Barca are desperate for money. Them, real and the yank owned teams will be the last to fold.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.espn.com.br/futebol/artigo/_/id/8502603/flamengo-e-mais-dois-gigantes-sul-americanos-conversaram-com-superliga-diz-site

lmfaoooo

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Signing up for the ESL in the first place should mean the owners fail the fit and proper test and have to sell up.

I know that’s not going to happen, but it should.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
lol rip

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

My Portuguese reading ability is limited but lol still

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

portuguese expert bawfuls can translate it for us

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Somewhere Alexi Lalas, Matt Yglesias and Tim Shipman are absolutely steaming mad.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
A lot of fancy protest banners have been printed up that won't get used now. Feel for the fans.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

:iceburn:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I Love the European Super League

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

sassassin posted:

A lot of fancy protest banners have been printed up that won't get used now. Feel for the fans.

I'm sure they will be used and some residual lols will be had

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

lol someone posted a clip of the man himself saying his own name and it def wasn't what the english podcaster said, happy to be of service

but regardless of our various butcherings of non-english pronunciations, you lot should be concerned about this thing coming back around in several years with more competent oligarchs avoiding the obvious mistakes made this time

even if you boot all the American owners, international capital won't stop

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 20, 2021

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Alexeythegreat posted:

My Portuguese reading ability is limited but lol still

it's just spanish with a hard j

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Countdown until Downing Street takes credit

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I'd just like to thank everyone for being a part of this frankly fantastic experience.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

sassassin posted:

Just change ESL to owners

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

rear end cobra posted:

I Love the European Super League

it's produced an awful lot of entertainment for three days

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

blue footed boobie posted:

I'd just like to thank everyone for being a part of this frankly fantastic experience.

RIP European Super League

2021-2021

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

Cancelling plane banner overflights all across the country

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

yw

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

we saved footie

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

It has been a legit emotional rollercoaster

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lost in all this is that the most evil of the owners in this mess might actually be the AC Milan owner if you look up his history. He's the one that bought Argentinian debt and then used that leverage to seize an actual goddamn warship.

IIRC he got AC Milan by loaning money to their owners, they missed a payment, and then he took the whole drat club in return

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

rename the forum to the ESL

Everyone Sucks League

:twisted:

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009

Some spicy things here, including the mention of some sort of super duper mega league with 12 teams from the super league (RIP) and 24 teams from all over the world.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Lmao Woodward has resigned

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1384580215016460288

:laffo:

Oops just got my rear end beat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord