Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of best elephant, does anyone else think that Funkfreed was meant to be Zoro’s power up that arc before Oda realized it clashed with Zoro’s story to have a sentient (well, alive-sentient, Enma/Kotetsu have some degree of sentience) sword? Like, “cute sword elephant” isn’t super out of place for OP in general, but Ennies Lobby is where everyone else gets power ups or new tools that are relevant long-term, and Zoro ends up with one of his swords broken anyway before getting a sick Wano sword that is heavier/stronger than his other ones. I might just be seeing things though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Last Celebration posted:

Speaking of best elephant, does anyone else think that Funkfreed was meant to be Zoro’s power up that arc before Oda realized it clashed with Zoro’s story to have a sentient (well, alive-sentient, Enma/Kotetsu have some degree of sentience) sword? Like, “cute sword elephant” isn’t super out of place for OP in general, but Ennies Lobby is where everyone else gets power ups or new tools that are relevant long-term, and Zoro ends up with one of his swords broken anyway before getting a sick Wano sword that is heavier/stronger than his other ones. I might just be seeing things though.

nah i think oda just wanted to make a sword elephant and remind us that devil fruits can inhabit objects

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Fair enough, he should really do that more often. RIP second-best Zoan Smiley.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Silver2195 posted:

Funkfreed was pretty underwhelming, wasn't he? Back when Fukuro pointed out that Spandam had a power level of only 9, Spandam claimed that his sword's power compensated for his personal physical weakness. And then Funkfreed got taken out by Franky in one hit.

franky being a boss does not reflect poorly on funkfreed

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Silver2195 posted:

Funkfreed was pretty underwhelming, wasn't he? Back when Fukuro pointed out that Spandam had a power level of only 9, Spandam claimed that his sword's power compensated for his personal physical weakness. And then Funkfreed got taken out by Franky in one hit.

Spandam is a loving idiot

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Last Celebration posted:

Zunesha will remember this.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember an older theory no one brings up anymore was Usopp's slingshot getting a devil fruit, but lost steam around the timeskip.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since it’s apparently possible, how do you suppose one “feeds” an inanimate object a devil fruit anyway? Break one open and slather the object in its juices?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Larryb posted:

Since it’s apparently possible, how do you suppose one “feeds” an inanimate object a devil fruit anyway? Break one open and slather the object in its juices?

They always seem to be zoans, so my guess is the zoans are existing animals with wills of their own and the "fruit" is that will being imposed on the object, not dissimilar to how awakened fruits can change their environment

smiles are so hosed up for the same reason. the animal was basically killed and turned into a fruit, but its will is imposed on the user and still has some control over their body.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Larryb posted:

By eating it! What kind of silly question is that supposed to be! :v:

Edit: Seriously, I'm like 85% sure thats going to be the actual answer.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I feel like after Wano is concluded, we'll start getting some big reveals about Devil Fruits etc.

Actually, come to think of it, when will we find out more about Kuma? He's stuck over at Mariejois and I don't think Luffy will get to Mariejois until after Raftel. That's at least a good 5-10 years out from now.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Franky kind of messed Fukurou up as soon as he had cola. He was pretty strong.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Len posted:

And that wraps up Dressrosa

Am i right in feeling that the world govt is 100% evil but the marines are mostly okay? The ones weve run against mostly seem chill except for a few assholes

Edit: sure the island is just a giant elephant, why not
Morality is very grey in One Piece. Even the assholes like Aikanu are hard to call strictly 'evil' given that they are fighting people who they, rightly for the most part, believe are murderers and otherwise bad people. Even spandam while definitely not a good person is hard to call evil. Repulsive, sure, but evil, nah. Pirates and other people in general are way more evil than the marines, thinking back to Moria, Wapol, Doflamingo, Eustass Kidd who is introduced has having murdered several people at the drop of a hat, and some genuine ultimate bastards coming up in future arcs.

That said, the world government? Genuine loving villains down to the bone. What a load of fuckers!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The next chapter on the 25th will be the last before Golden Week right?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Just because he is incompetent, doesn't mean Spandam isn't evil. Nor does largely fighting other bad guys mitigate his moral failings. CP-9 was the assassination Cipher Pol, and we know they did some real bad poo poo on the WG orders. Hell, the mission to gain the Pluton blueprints included attempting to assassinate a guy just because he wouldn't give them the plans. Plans that Spandam intended to use to try and take over the world on his own.

Like, name one not evil thing he's done.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Actually, come to think of it, when will we find out more about Kuma? He's stuck over at Mariejois and I don't think Luffy will get to Mariejois until after Raftel. That's at least a good 5-10 years out from now.

Probably something to do with the revolutionaries who have infiltrated the city. Sabo was not pleased at seeing Kuma there so an off-camera jailbreak is not out of the question.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Crazyeyes posted:

Probably something to do with the revolutionaries who have infiltrated the city. Sabo was not pleased at seeing Kuma there so an off-camera jailbreak is not out of the question.

He's effectively a walking corpse at this point so I'd think a mercy killing would be more likely.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

RatHat posted:

He's effectively a walking corpse at this point so I'd think a mercy killing would be more likely.

Nah. Some nonsense about "he's still in there!" And "leave no man behind!".

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Spandam is easily one of the most evil pieces of poo poo in the series

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

RatHat posted:

The next chapter on the 25th will be the last before Golden Week right?

Yes, WSJ break next week (Golden week).

I kind of love having spoilers pop out this early, get to enjoy One Piece in hype bites over the course of the week.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

mabels big day posted:

Spandam is easily one of the most evil pieces of poo poo in the series

And it's entirely because he's weak and petty, not because he has some grand plans but because he will take every opportunity to tear other people down, stomp on them and rip them apart out of sheer petty hatred for literally everyone around him. He's the worst.

At least Akainu is a monster with a purpose and a theoretically noble goal, he desires justice be equal to all from the highest nobles to the lowest civilian, it's just his idea of justice is incredibly fatal and single-minded.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

What's great about One Piece is that it has both complex gray morality of characters who are doing bad things for good reasons, and also just complete rear end in a top hat pieces of poo poo like Spandam and Doflamingo. Also there's a general sense that an explanation for why people are doing something is not a justification or an excuse.

You can have a tragic backstory all you want, Luffy is still going to punch you in the face if you're doing evil things.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Begemot posted:

What's great about One Piece is that it has both complex gray morality of characters who are doing bad things for good reasons, and also just complete rear end in a top hat pieces of poo poo like Spandam and Doflamingo. Also there's a general sense that an explanation for why people are doing something is not a justification or an excuse.

You can have a tragic backstory all you want, Luffy is still going to punch you in the face if you're doing evil things.

I would say that the morality is inconsistent. It's a shonen series with wacky characters so that hides a lot of the horror, but I dunno, I hate Luffy. I think he's an rear end in a top hat.

As an example of the inconsistency of the morality, take Fujitora. He's a Zaitochi homage of course, but supposedly he blinded himself to the cruelty of the world. A guy like that's biggest gripe being the Seven Warlords is kinda weird when the World Nobles are over there shooting people for fun and trying to make Shirahoshi a sex slave.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Aurubin posted:

I would say that the morality is inconsistent. It's a shonen series with wacky characters so that hides a lot of the horror, but I dunno, I hate Luffy. I think he's an rear end in a top hat.

As an example of the inconsistency of the morality, take Fujitora. He's a Zaitochi homage of course, but supposedly he blinded himself to the cruelty of the world. A guy like that's biggest gripe being the Seven Warlords is kinda weird when the World Nobles are over there shooting people for fun and trying to make Shirahoshi a sex slave.

you hate luffy??????

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Begemot posted:

maybe a somewhat cold take, but i never really understood the line of thought around doflamingo. his backstory i thought was a good example of "doing bad poo poo to bad people doesn't necessarily make them better", his hatred was just codified and reinforced by uh, stringing him up and crucifying him as a child.

that isn't to say its justified, of course, because we're also given the example of corazon in the same flashback, so it feels like oda is explicitly trying to show us "your past doesn't have to define you", but what happened to doflamingo (at that age) is really not his fault, and is incredibly unfair overall

then again, he's a celestial dragon, so who really cares lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Aurubin posted:

how can you read one piece if you hate luffy

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only unjust punch thrown by Luffy in the entire series was in a gag fight.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

tbp posted:

you hate luffy??????

I've never been that big of fan of Luffy, i get in arguments with my buddies all the time on this point but he's definitely on the bottom half of the crew in terms of likeability to me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Starsfan posted:

I've never been that big of fan of Luffy, i get in arguments with my buddies all the time on this point but he's definitely on the bottom half of the crew in terms of likeability to me.

youre scum

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Starsfan posted:

pathetic

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Begemot posted:

One of my favorite things about Doflamingo is he gets the usual flashback treatment but it just underlines how no actually Doflamingo is just a complete poo poo from day 1.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i dont think the series holds up fujitora as a pinnacle of morality or anything, just that hes less terrible than a lot of the marines but still clearly has his issues lol

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

rannum posted:

One of my favorite things about Doflamingo is he gets the usual flashback treatment but it just underlines how no actually Doflamingo is just a complete poo poo from day 1.

Makes sense that for his father and brother to get good there was no good left over for Rick Flair.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

awww how's that supposed to make me feel? :(

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Starsfan posted:

whats your problem with luffy man

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Luffy Will Be The Pirate King

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

whats your problem with luffy man

I just relate alot more to a bunch of the other characters on the crew. I've always found some aspects of Luffy's character really frustrating to deal with, in a way that's pretty real - I mean obviously Oda intentionally made this character with alot of flaws and as my first exposure to the series was through watching the anime some of those flaws are magnified and drawn out to the point that they became very grating. After hearing from everyone about how great the Impel Down / Marinford arc was with Luffy on his own fighting to save his brother, i was kind of surprised how much I just wanted to get back to having all the crew together so I could spend more time with Nami, Robin, Usopp, Franky and Zoro.

It's not that i find him hateable or anything like that, but he's not my favorite part of the story.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gyges posted:

What did Funkfreed ever do to you?

not be a thousand year old island elephant that wrecked a fleet with little effort expended

edit: Bring back Bon Clay and put him on the crew forever

Len fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 20, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Starsfan posted:

I just relate alot more to a bunch of the other characters on the crew. I've always found some aspects of Luffy's character really frustrating to deal with, in a way that's pretty real - I mean obviously Oda intentionally made this character with alot of flaws and as my first exposure to the series was through watching the anime some of those flaws are magnified and drawn out to the point that they became very grating. After hearing from everyone about how great the Impel Down / Marinford arc was with Luffy on his own fighting to save his brother, i was kind of surprised how much I just wanted to get back to having all the crew together so I could spend more time with Nami, Robin, Usopp, Franky and Zoro.

It's not that i find him hateable or anything like that, but he's not my favorite part of the story.

Yeah I kind of feel the same way. I like him but he's maddening a lot of the time (all of his crew and friends yell at him for being an impulsive idiot). Hell, I felt the same way about Dragon Ball back after the time shift and it went from being a comedy adventure series to being an endless level up match of screaming. Goku became completely unrelatable and the other characters were more interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

The self-centered idiot shonen protagonist is fine when the larger world isn't explored. Goku in Dragon Ball just lurches from adventure to adventure, but it's not like he shapes the social and political situation. One Piece explores the consequences of breaking stuff, which is neat for something that's run for so long. That being said, Luffy not having a conception of morality that isn't directly in front of him, plus the fact that with the exception of basically just the Straw Hats every pirate is well...a larcenous, murderous pirate, doesn't endear me to this series' protagonist. The story seems to shape itself around Luffy, rather than the other way around. The antagonists, imo, just happen to be worse than the Straw Hats. Given that most everyone in One Piece is either a sociopath or a (literal) monster, it's easy to root for the main characters in the moment. I just mostly turn my brain off and enjoy Oda's art, it's just a fun thing to thumb through along with the rest of Shonen Jump. By and large I find the protagonist of this series utterly contemptable. I blame absentee fathers.